What is normal

If everyone has some sort of disorder, then isn't not having a disorder the disorder?

an empty universal

?

Everyone can be labeled as having a mental disorder because psychiatry is bullshit. That said, Timothy Leary's Interpersonal Circumplex had a section for "hypernormal" which might be the sort of thing you're thinking about (excessive normality as a disorder in itself).

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA LOOK MOM IM SO DEEEP I COULDNT JUST GOOGLE THIS DUMB FUCK QUESTION BECAUSE IM AN ATTENTION WHORING FAGGOT WHO WANTS TO FBE A PLIT TPOSTER EEEEEEEEEEEE I HATE YOU FUCKERS YOURE RUINING THE BOARD arhhghhh fucking kill yourself slowly and painfully, fucking commit harak irik uyou tigh

i think i saw that in a psychology course at one point. why do you think normality is not actually normal or good? is it because the people haven't been learning from their life circumstances and don't show that life has been changing their perspective or actions?

everyone who believes this is an angry teenager/extrapolated way too much out of the over diagnosis of adhd etc. There are real mental disorders, and they are characterized as such;

1. Being different from the social norm. this is the point you address in the op. if this was the only criteria, then your vague criticisms would make more sense.

2. Having impaired function. Basically meaning that you are unable to perform as well in certain situations as other, "normal" individuals.

3. The condition causes distress in the victim.

All 3 of these are absolutely required before a mental illness exists. Find me a mental illness without all 3 of these, or something that fits all 3 and you claim isnt a mental illness.

i have 2 ply toilet paper, so..

I don't think Timothy Leary necessarily thought it was bad to be normal so much as it denoted one of a variety of different personality styles different people have. Like instead of "normal" just being a neutral lack of features, he saw it more as an adaptive mechanism in itself.

okay what abut this example, studies show that 98% of people commit a crime before 21, that's against the taught norm or "good" so the norm then would be that you commit a crime before 21.So if studies claim this or that person commit a horrid crime because they started at a young age then you'd have to clarify the type of crime and further on because the norm is too commit crime, which makes it harder to pinpoint the characteristics and signs to look out for when it comes to serial killers.

>adhd

That is one example of the main problem with psychiatry, but it's not the only one. Another more recent manifestation of that same problem is how abilify, an antipsychotic, ended up becoming the number one best selling drug of any kind (i.e. not just counting psych drugs). You can't seriously believe that many people needed an antipsychotic. Diagnosis based on opinion is a really bad idea for that reason. There's no check on what counts beyond each individual psychiatrist's decision based mostly on reports made by the patients themselves, and these same psychiatrists are actively courted by pharamceutical sales reps to promote their drugs.

thanks for the you, dear friend :) ill be make sure to make more quality posts int he futuree
guys like you keep me going through the darkest days, so even the brightest nights can have hope
youve done a good deed, sir

literally what.

I'm a girl haha

>There are real mental disorders

Psychology is nothing but a sudo science
If you can't define "normality" you sure as hell can't define the opposite

>Being different from the social norm
So someone is a mental case if they don't agree with the general population? I guess people who live in some ISIS country and don't like people getting stoned for nothing are insane?

>Having impaired function. Basically meaning that you are unable to perform as well in certain situations as other, "normal" individuals.

Being bad at something means you have a mental disorder? "normal" doesn't mean shit. People who were serial killers acted 110% normal when they weren't chopping people up.

>The condition causes distress in the victim.

Yea being stressed out or sad doesn't mean you're a crazy, it just means you're a human being

The psychology industry is the cancer on each society
They make people into addicts, destroy their minds with drugs and convince them that they'll always be "crazy"

It's a waste of time and money

The drugs they give out are sometimes worse than "big bad street drugs"

i agree that this is a massive massive problem facing the field right now. i would argue that this is more of a problem with pharmaceutical companies and marketing than it is psychiatry, although there is a problem with psychiatry as well. imo it is caused by the low low bar that is set to become a psychiatrist.

But none of this really relates to my point. my point was that mental disorders clearly exist and any attempts to dismiss all of them categorically by saying "muh ritalin" is embarrassing.

I've just recently read about it! I feel so dumb that it didn't add up before, doctors advertise what was sold to them, it's all a set up to make money not give the best care.

whoa ma'am, im glad to see my basis of rapport explaining in the fairer sex direction's if it is two (for the two of us ;)) much to ask may i have abrother (You)?

good thing you didnt read my post and use your brain at the same time.

being different from the social norm.
tons and tons of people are different than the norm. this means nothing unless you have the other 2 criteria.

being bad at something.
i dont mean being bad at riding a fucking bicycle. i meant life functions. also "being a serial killer" isnt a mental illness you fucking retard.

causes distress
if you are distressed, and meet the other 2, you have a disorder. it doesnt mean you are "crazy" if you are sad, and you are different than the norm in that sadness, and it makes your life harder, you have a disorder.

what if you're bad at something but it casues you stress? and you still are the social norm? fuceking redart

if you suck dick at writing, and it makes you sad, but its the norm, you have no disorder.

but the fucin disorder is your stressor? why the fuck would you think teh norm is the fuckin abnorm> you are a fucking faggot shit
learn basic psychology
norm my ass

im sorry but i didnt understand that

I'm pretty sure most people don't.

i really really hope this is bait and you arent that retarded but im not holding my breath

proves youre a wimditted fool you massic conversan
why the fuck would you think the stressor or the abnorm
why are you posting on lit right now without even the rudimentary underpanding of physiology right now? its basic FUCKIng knowledge that the disorder is NOT the norm but the norm IS the DISORDER. my god i speak with fools
learn to write
HHAHAH im a pretty penis sand ai like ot sucak niggGERHER COCOK TERRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEE

All you're doing is keeping the thread alive for OP. Keep it up.

All I'm doing is rpoping that praggot wrong thank you very much
i swear to G-d I will eat your LIVER if you pretend to read LIVRE

i wish there was a manual

proughts on my borsht?

sorry, here photograph

omg borsche, im ukranian so thats the love of my life

and katleti

Really made me think, thanks OP

Friend! Ukraine is good ftuss haha
I am right the symptom of norm is the abnormal
Slava Ukrainye!

ukrainye slava!

>2. Having impaired function. Basically meaning that you are unable to perform as well in certain situations as other, "normal" individuals.
>3. The condition causes distress in the victim.

>what is falsifiability

Go away poopoo this is ukraina thread

ukraine will take over america

What's normal is determined by a given society.

that does cover a lot of the idea

Yes please
ukraina determines what is good and normal
You will be purged