Literary confession thread

Literary confession thread

Other urls found in this thread:

newrepublic.com/article/118703/original-review-jd-salinger-catcher-rye-insufferable
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I shitpost on Veeky Forums every day and have never made a constructive post in my life because this board is just the best for shitposting
im sorry

I read the classics because I enjoy them (mostly).

Which ones didn't you enjoy?

My favorite idea I've had so far is so dangerously close to YA John Green-tier garbage that I'm unsure whether or not to go with it

I like books :(

I don't read the classics because 90% of them sound like boring pointless shit.

Not sure if you can consider it a classic or not, but I'm not enjoying The Bell Jar. Also, I tried starting the Golden Pavilion and I couldn't get jiggy with it.

Cash in lad

There's zero chance you'll ever do anything constructive with your life anyway so why not

I dropped Dune a quarter of the way through. It was boring as fuck and too political.

same for me but with all those genre fiction "classics" like the Heinlein novels or anything by Jane Austen.

Metaphysics is my favorite branch of philosophy and the totality of philosophical literature I possess is devoted to metaphysics alone

I only read poetry if it rhymes.

Every time I write I end up fearing that it sounds too John Greeny so I scrap it. The problem is my head voice. When I write the voice in my head sounds like Hemingway, but when I read over it my head voice becomes John Greeny. I blame Veeky Forums shit posters

Yeah well I barely even read (fiction at least) and my shitposts are better than most other posts on here.

How would you know?

I read the last word of each line and look for a rhyming pattern. If it isn't ABAB, AABBCC, or AABBA, then I don't read the full piece.

Do you listen to pic related by any chance?

Only their songs that rhyme, why?

>Only their songs that rhyme
How would you know?

I GET IT NOW

I'm an English major. I do enjoy reading but I'm a pretty serious pleb and I only read once or twice a week if I'm lucky. I just want to play call of duty and watch Naruto.
Absolve my sins plz

I look up the lyrics beforehand, and examine the last word of each line and look for a rhyming pattern. If it isn't ABAB, AABBCC, or AABBA, then I don't listen to the full piece.

Would you rather say Hail Marys or Our Fathers?

>he can't into internal rhyme
feel bad for you son

if you majored in english but you prefer watching naruto over reading youre going to run into some real fucking problems very very soon.

I don't even remember Hail Mary beyond the first line.
These are dark times.

It's not so much a preference as it is laziness. I put a lot of thought into what I do read and I feel I contribute more than most to class discussions, but I go to a crummy state school. I dream of accomplishing so much more but it seems so daunting and I worry that it's too late.

i have all kinds of stuff to read but i cant stop playing pokemon and old school runescape

worry for another day, week, year, lifetime

In all seriousness in kind of the same except I'm a STEMfag. I like reading but its so much easier to just chill and play vidya. I constantly remind myself how playing video games is both mindless and fruitless. I still do play video games every now and again but only ~1-2 hours a week usually. That being said I do this so I can work on my studies for the most part, not to read. My reading is done during my commute and class breaks. It isn't much but it's more than I play games which is good enough for me.

Most of the "best" writers from the last 200 years are actually pretty shit. Long winded, unimaginative, human case study stories. They are only "popular" because of pompous people who read.
EG:
>Rushdie
>Melville
>Salinger
>Joyce
>Fitzgerald
And the biggest
>Hunter Thomson

All over rated and boring. We got into a habit thinking that "kooky" or books that used extravagant words, for the sake of extravagance were good. They weren't. They were long winded shit writers.

>Salinger

First off, of all the writers you just listed, Salinger is the best. Secondly, he isn't overrated and boring. But aside from him, I agree with those you've listed.

>Melville
>Salinger
>Joyce
>Fitzgerald
>Hunter Thomson

One of these is not like the other.

>you're right, except for the one I like
ORRRRR, they are all over rated and you just happen to like that one. Salinger is just as over rated as the rest.
>catcher in the rye LOL
newrepublic.com/article/118703/original-review-jd-salinger-catcher-rye-insufferable

No, they are all over rated. Being different doesn't = good.

I've read every single Murakami book. I like them all.

>He's only read Catcher in the Rye

Tell me, faggot. Which other of J.D. Salinger's works have you read?

Okay dude. Everyone's wrong and you're right. Moby Dick and Ulysses are just kooky and weird.

Welcome to Veeky Forums, where it's essentially an argument over whose dad can beat up who else's dad

>they were considered stale shit until recently in history.
No I'm just not a hipster.

That being said, I've read all of Salinger's novels except Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters, and quite enjoyed them, however I can see where someone could not enjoy them because sometimes Salinger gets all fucking wordy and breaks your flow.

I bet your dad's a bitch and didn't even get the Catcher in the Rye.

>thinks he is popular for anything else
LOL. Do you even live in this world?

I could have sworn they've been lauded as masterpieces for quite a while now. You're rocking my world.

i'm a successful game developer who majored in computer science. i have always loved books and my deepest wish is that i would have majored in english instead. i didn't do it because i was scared i'd never find a job.

i traded happiness for money, lads, and it's a terrible feeling.

>however I can see where someone could not enjoy them because sometimes Salinger gets all fucking wordy and breaks your flow.
Salinger's dialogue is what makes him the GOAT.

>LOL. Do you even live in this world?
You've only confirmed my point, faggot.

You are wrong. They were received as ...mehhhh .... when written.
"he novel was a commercial failure and out of print at the time of the author's death in 1891, but during the 20th century, its reputation as a Great American Novel was established. "

I don't think you have to study literature in school to cultivate a love for it. You don't have to be a marine biologist to love the ocean.

>traded happiness
Nothing about your current job stops you from enjoying literature. But getting a degree in literature would have given you a ridiculous stress level from being poor.

So you're one of the literary hipsters I talked about. Thanks!

>would have
protip: you'd have regretted any decision you would've made, but now you can cry in your mercedes instead of a cardboard box, so you won at life yaaaaaaa

The 20th century was a pretty big one.

>literary hipster

Okay. If reading Salinger instead of meme authors like DFW and Thomas Memechon makes me a hipster, then so be it. At least I read genuine literature, not your mainstream meme books. Enjoy being a psued, you try hard faggot.

>it was shit until wanna be "high society" people said it was good
Sounds about like over rated garbage to me.

>people other then high society and educated types were reading literature and writing essays/criticisms on them in the early 20th century
also

>In a review in The Dial, T. S. Eliot said of Ulysses: "I hold this book to be the most important expression which the present age has found; it is a book to which we are all indebted, and from which none of us can escape." He went on to assert that Joyce was not at fault if people after him did not understand it: "The next generation is responsible for its own soul; a man of genius is responsible to his peers, not to a studio full of uneducated and undisciplined coxcombs.

don't be such a fucking meme cause you couldn't understand the book.

I have a fucking bone to pick with Joyce, being a writer myself.

I do not like the way he totally abandons clarity of narrative. I appreciate that he's trying to bring the 19th century's artistic concerns to a completion in Ulysses. I realize that he's trying to finish the novel and is trying to annihilate all the stylistic concerns that have plagued the English language before him.

However, I find "Oxen of the Sun" inexcusable. There's no good reason for it to be the way it is. It's TOO unclear. You can't tell what's going on. Joyce should have guided his readers more evidently. There should have been more logical progression of plot. And if Joyce couldn't have done it without sacrificing his goal for the chapter, then the chapter was a bad one. He should not have attempted it.

LOL you must be a sophomore in college.

I'm not in college though.

Well I certainly hope you're trolling. That doesn't seem like a well grounded assessment, but whatever I'm not literature's vanguard.
I'll never forget my first time reading Moby Dick but go on ahead and hate it for your own reasons.

>I'll never forget my first time reading Moby Dick

Tell us about it, without giving the book away.

Even worse then.

I didn't say I "hate" them. I said over rated. And generally they are. I think Friends is over rated as a TV show but I still enjoy the occasional episode.

Do you people not know how to separate these two things?

same. the Veeky Forums clan chat is way too addictive to me, it's like highly concentrated funposting

I routinely post in Nietzsche threads, act as if I'm knowledgeable and understand the man better than others but have never read a single page he has ever written.

Don't worry neither have they

"Over-rated garbage".

Well it was for a class with the coolest and most intelligent professor I've ever had.
I just really felt like I was sailing away from a boring life to partake in something dangerous and grand.

I buy books and never read them.

I enjoy the thought of buying and collecting classic books than I actually do reading (which I still enjoy though).

I have learned a lot about lit and what the 'right opinions' are, and I regularly contribute to discussions about authors I have never even read before. I always just recite stuff I heard other people say, but with added bait.

I have strong opinions about the different Russian translations but I have only ever read P&V.

Nothing wrong with that. Nietzsche himself was a lot like that.

>I have a fucking bone to pick with Joyce, being a writer myself.
This gives you no power over him, nor any power to your thoughts.
>I do not like the way he totally abandons clarity of narrative.
He didn't.
>I appreciate that he's trying to bring the 19th century's artistic concerns to a completion in Ulysses.
That was not his motivation.
>I realize that he's trying to finish the novel and is trying to annihilate all the stylistic concerns that have plagued the English language before him.
That was not his intent.
>However, I find "Oxen of the Sun" inexcusable. There's no good reason for it to be the way it is.
Wrong.

Why don't you explain the point of "Oxen of the Sun," then.

My complaint is primarily that it goes too far in promoting style as an element, and sacrifices too much narrative clarity as a result.

>let me highlight every sentence of this post and contradict them with no elaboration

I read books and take notes on the details involving the mechanics of how the story is told and then apply them to the novel I'm writing.

I buy many books I don't read.
The moment a book has even so much a feel for pro-degeneracy propaganda I set it down for good.
I like hard sci-fi and only hard sci-fi
I mostly read only the genre mentioned above and how to books having to do with guns which are my favorite hobby
I have started to write three books, of which I've only gone as far as three chapters in each one
I dropped out of school and live the NEET life while I leech off my Philippine girlfriends money and hard work
I yell at her and treat her like shit even so
25 years old and have kids with another Korean woman, I never see my kids due to the fake police accusations the Korean woman did to ruin my life
Kill me Veeky Forums

Really picked up heat towards the end there. Go on.

>sci-fi enthusiast
>is a complete fuck up beyond all hope
No surprises there

Lol why is that? Not disagreeing just wanting to know the logic behind it.

Believe me it can get alot worse and even more cringeworthy

I tried to write good, quality literature with trenchant themes and real new ideas and observations about our current society, but I just can't fucking do it so I'm trying to write a YA novel because at least teens won't recognize my fumbling attempts at depth for the shallow trash that it is.

I used to think purple prose was the best way to write. There are times of weakness where I churn out nothing but distracting shit that I know will be removed in subsequent edits.

I avoid french lit because I can't pronounce the names.

What's to get? It's just a rape fantasy

When I read speeches in ancient histories. Herodotus, Thucydides, Tacitus, Appian etc I imagine them in the Rome total war generals voice.

I skip the foreword

I pretty much only read Sci-Fi... I'm kinda obsessed by the future and I wonder daily how will ne the life in the next decades or centuries....
What do you have accomplished in life, champ?

I love GoT and I mostly read fantasy.

The only "serious" literature I've read is 1984 and Stoner. (1984 was a bit boring but I loved Stoner).

Do you have any other serious literature that you'd recommend for a pleb like me?

>I leech off my Philippine girlfriends money
this is my dream, but I do not want to move over to SEA

I like reading shitty romance plots in fantasy novels.

I enjoyed The Wheel of Time's harem subplot

That just means you may have taste.

Glad to see anti-intellectualism is alive and well on our board.
I unironicaly recommend r/books, you'd like their taste better.

I'm going to quit my job to write full time for a bit.
My wife supports me in this, which only makes me feel worse that I'm having an affair

>Not having an affair with your wife

I have never memorized a poem or even a verse.
Is it necessary to do it? I read poetry and i enjoy it, but i can't remember exactly every verse.
I see all these writers and literary people quoting verses very precisely and i feel like i'm missing something

Man you're a shit person.

I bought a book with a movie cover

You should kill yourself