Silence

I just found out that Martin Scorsese's new film Silence is based on a book by a Japanese author. Has anyone here read it, by any chance? Would you recommend it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/contemporary
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah it's pretty decent. I'd recommend it, OP.

yea its excellent

One of those works that reminds you that contemporary lit still has much to offer.

I loved it and it's one of my favourite novels, can't wait for Scorsese to twist and fuck up everything the novel was about.

Theres actually already a movie version of it, its on hulu in the criterion collection.

That said, this is supposedly Scorsese's end of life passion project so there is hope that he wants to create one more great film.

It's absolutely excellent, and I'm not even a Christian, it's more about faith in general than Christianity

"contemporary"

lol

No, it's very specifically about Christianity in the themes, especially the christology and contemplaton of suffering for others, but the other being little pieces of shit who would sell their mothers and rape their sisters.

I guess. I'm not very fond of Endo but it is easy and short. If he weren't Japanese I would probably think better of him, but since he is I can't think of him without thinking of the many, many better Japanese writers and how much more I would rather be reading them.

The studios are trying to make him cut an hour of footage from it so don't get your hopes up.

How is Endo contemporary? He died over two decades ago.

Well everyone on this board was alive when he was, that makes us inter-generational contemporaries.

That's disgraceful if they don't let him have final cut

Well if he didn't want it to happen he shouldn't have thought it was a good idea to try to make a movie that's almost four hours long. He isn't paying for the movie, the studio is. Making movies isn't the same as writing a book. This is costing millions of dollars of other peoples money who are only paying the money because they expect reasonable chance on a good return. If he didn't want them to cut any he should have picked a different script.

betas cannot avoid talking about women and other betas

It's a very good book.

oh your poor deluded soul...

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/contemporary

can you give me a couple example of Japanese writers you think are better? Besides Mishima because I've read him

Shōnagon: Murasaki, Basho, Saikaku, Ibuse, Abe, Ōe, Kawabata, Dazai, Tanizaki, Inoue, Sōseki, and Akutagawa off the top of my head.

Pretty much if you can think of them and they aren't terrible like Murakami they are better.

he means its deluded to think everyone on this board was alive when he was

I know I wasn't

Veeky Forums is an 18+ board mate. If you weren't alive when he died you were either two or younger or you need to get the fuck off this site.

Still, I mean, this is probably the most famous living director. The idea of taking away final cut on his last passion project is pretty outrageous, no matter the economic consideration. You shouldn't fund a Martin Scorsese pic unless you want a Martin Scorsese pic

The best thing that will come out of the movie are more epubs of Endo on libgen.

I'm the guy you originally replied to,I know the problem that come with a studio picture but it's Scorcese I doubt it will fail and seeing as it might be his last film I think it would disrespectful of such a great director to change his vision

wut?

>tfw 13 when he died

Despite this, saying he isnt a contemporary author is like saying Ishiguros work in the 80s and 90s isnt contemporary. Shit Cormac McCarthy and Pynchon are contemporary authors.

Scorcese is working for scale and has apparently gotten several of the cast to work scale to bring the cost of the film down and get it made. And there simply wasn't an option of him 'picking a different script'. He's been trying for decades to get this specific movie made

I read it a month or two ago, fantastic book. One of those books that I truly could not put down.

You can make great movies cheaply, look at every single Bergman film. If he wants a bigger budget movie that he didn't finance himself he will have to deal with the studios. This isn't outrageous, this isn't insulting. He knew beforehand what he would have to deal with and the difficulties he would face. He chose it.

I would also say it's disrespectful to waste millions of dollars of other peoples money against their wishes.

That would explain why he couldn't get any of the actors he wanted. Andrew Garfield looks awful.

I watched Oshii's Angels Egg a few weeks ago. Pure Christianity kino

>You can make great movies cheaply, look at every single Bergman film. If he wants a bigger budget movie that he didn't finance himself he will have to deal with the studios. This isn't outrageous, this isn't insulting. He knew beforehand what he would have to deal with and the difficulties he would face. He chose it.

Why dont more movie makers do what mel gibson did with passion? Fully self funded and he made bank. Surely Scorcese could make an on location period japanese movie for under 20 million.

OP here, surprised to see this thread is still up. Thanks for all the replies.

murakami is an american author who happens to be writing in japanese and has a japanese name. his stuff is right on the border of being just the right amount of "exotic" while actually being very accessible and "safe" middlebrow literature. it's housewife tier/pretentious college hipster tier for namedropping.

he has a handful of decent works but the more you read (both of murakami and of other authors) the less you appreciate him

murakami deliberately breaks with the japanese literary tradition so its very funny when he gets hailed up as "japanese lit"

start with
kokoro (soseki)
snow country (kawabata)
short stories (akutagawa)

and then move to
no longer human (dazai)
something by oe

Thanks, I'll make sure to check those out!