Holiday /ilt/

What are you planning to read on the holidays?

pic related

Mony dick
The castle
And maybe Suttree or Blood Meridian

The holidays are like 2 weeks.

Living the NEET life, my friend.

Whenever I visit my dad around Christmas I find myself with nothing to do but read, and usually spend the last day or two bored out of my mind because I've already blown through the book I've taken with me.

I've been saving this baby for the upcoming trip from the moment I opened the package it arrived in and saw the sheer size of it for the very first time.

Kipling's Just So Stories
Beckett's Murphy
Upanisads
Some of Emerson's essays
Nabokov's Speak, Memory

In no particular order, but will definitely start with Kipling since it's rather short.

Middlemarch

Big books in the winter are maximum comfy.

You're in for a treat with that one, it's one of my favorites. Have fun user!

I ordered the Village of Stepanchikovo off of some second hand book site and got a book on France's Impact on slavery instead

What was their impact

Idk, never bothered to read it lol

Last year around the holidays I read War & Peace. I might read it again, or at least that Christmas part to get me into a comfy holiday mood.

Thanks, man. I read the foreword as soon as I got it and it was difficult not to plunge headfirst into it right then and there. It sounds like a hell of a book.

Planning to read Virgin Soil by Turgenev, the Collected Stories by Ivan Bunin, and A School for Fools by Sasha Sokolov. Lots of Russkis

plan to read The Recognitions once i finish M&D

I'm gonna re-read Don Quijote de La Mancha, I haven't read it since high school. I'm gonna read the pic edition.

I go on holiday tomorrow but I'll probably finish At Swim-Two-Birds tonight and read the rest of O'Brien's stuff by Sunday.

For the Christmas holiday I'm planning to reread Beloved and Of Mice and Men and read The Trial, The Red Badge of Courage, and Devils.

jumping on the doorstopper bandwagon with The Idiot. Also finishing up some short story collections, Winesburg, Breece Pancake, and A Good Man

Eco's Baudolino, Poe's stories + some Homer

Reading "Mason & Dixon". Will probably read "Carpenter's Gothic" and "A Frolic Of His Own" after that. Maybe Stoner if I have time.

taking a class on marx this spring.

really want to get the most out of it so i plan on finishing pic related by january.

I like The Idiot nut not as much as some other Dostoevsky novels. You shouldn't be intimidated because in my experience it was even easier to read than Notes From Underground because the novel has good progression. There are less cynical psychotic rambling monologues which made it less fun though.

>Finishing War and Peace
>Never Let Me Go
>The Long Ships
>The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea
>fate stay/night: Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel

never let me go. ugh that love story hit home. I was so much like the main character it was painful. I'll probably die a Virgin.

Is this edition special in any way or different to other editions?

ive never read that but i absolutely loved remains of the day. thinking i might finally check out NLMG

The Recognitions for meme reasons.

For cosy reasons, E.F. Benson's Mapp & Lucia series.

Not an easy sell to the lit demographic but they are beautifully written and very amusing. They are as gay as Freddie Mercury's moustache obviously.

I can't remember the last time I read a non-fiction book cover to cover, and this is a tad long.

the recognitions has a climax that will be worth all the trouble, believe me.

Flight to Arras by Saint Exupery
Travel Notes by Crawford
Clochemerle by Chevalier
Tristram Shandy by Sterne
Microserfs by Coupland
The Waves by Woolf
Room by Donaghue
Life A Users Manual by Perec
The Plague by Camus
The Silent Woman by Malcolm

I work in a used book store, so I have piles and piles at home that Ive bought on staff discount :^)

This

>all these people posting several books each several hundreds of pages long.

My holidays are three and a half months :^)

The Feast of the Goat by Vargas Llosa

Sure you may not have any responsibilities for that time, but the holidays are Christmas and New years. Three weeks at most.

yay another EF Benson fan :)

Middlemarch

Finishing Jane Eyre for English 5, and polishing off Portrait of Dorian Gray. Where I go from there is unknown, but I'm thinking The Idiot or some short stories of Dostoevsky

The thought behind the French Revolution & the Declaration of the Rights of Man inspired the Haitian Revolution, which ultimately contributed to the demise of Euro-driven slavery in the Caribbean.

I'll be reading Gogol's Ukrainian Tales & whatever other main book I've got going.

Music at Midnight - a biography of George Herbert

Memoires de come de Bussy-Rabution - the earliest of the memoirs written under Louis XIV

I may try the Maurice Druon les rois maudits series. I haven't had a decent relaxing historical fiction read in a while

I've got a few volumes of Ernst Junger's WW1 and WW2 journals I may get to. I've bigned on his novels lately.

>What are you planning to read on the holidays?

pic related

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH WHAT AN OUTRAGEOUS MEME I CANT BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID YOUD READ A BOOK BY TRUMP THAT BIGOTED FOOL WHO GOT ELECTED VIA MEMES XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

If on a winter's night a traveler
Time Machine by HG Wells

candid reply unironically unintentonally missing the irony in your comment and ending with a statement about corruption in Washington and draining the swamp

greentext suggesting that you like to watch your wife have sex with other men

Several arrows pointing you to a different board on Veeky Forums.

War and Peace. It's going to arrive in the next 1-2 days. I finish exams Friday and then I have three months of full uninterrupted NEETing before I seriously need to find/start working.

I'm actually really excited, I'm really burned out.

M&D's opening slog actually works for the holidays, good on ye user

Thursday is fucking incredible. Make sure you read the afterword by Chesterton himself tho

>tfw get through 900pg. works in a weekend.

How fast do you read user? Anything below 800 words per minute is magnificently pleb tier.

I'm going to finish Lolita and start V.
yes, I am a memelord

>massive fucking pseud warning. caring about how fast you read is fucking asinine.
according to you, the above green text should be read in one second. if you read any real literature at that speed you are just missing everything, i guarantee it. if your only goal is to finish it and say you read it then by all means continue.

What are Dostoevksy's best short stories?

I want to read The Dream of a Ridiculous Man, but its very short. What about OP pic related, White Nights? Poor Folk?

Looks like a nice selection, specially Chesterton. Cheers, user.

E&E's for:
Con Law
Crim Law
Contracts
Property
Torts

Maybe Kafka's The Trial. Maybe a history of American Law.

We will see how burned out I get during those 2 weeks.

and Heaney's Beowulf

is it good?

Mi negro.

I also plan to read Don Quixote, but this edition (which is also god-tier).