What are you studying for fun?

I'm beginning to studying Category theory. What are you studying? Doesn't need to be math only related, this is open to any STEM field.

Be sure to include any tutorials / books / blogs / podcast

Other urls found in this thread:

ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=VdLhQs_y_E8&list=PLelIK3uylPMGzHBuR3hLMHrYfMqWWsmx5)
archive.org/details/2014ProgrammingPrinciplesAndPracticeUsingCPlusPlus
haskellbook.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Topology
Theory of computation
African studies
>Be sure to include any tutorials / books / blogs / podcast
ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

what topology book you using

Functors of local artin rings

Mathematical Economics

>Books
Fundamental Models in Mathematics for Economics - Alpha C. Chiang
Mathematical Optimization and Economic Theory - Michael D. Intrilligator

Game theory

mostly using online tutorials and Wikipedia

Infinite series and proofs. I use wikipedia or uni resources given by old profs

Recently picked up a book on elementary number theory, pretty cool so far

Oh and the book is underwood dudleys elementary number theory

Trying to get a handle on smoothed particle hydrodynamics.

ASL
Padding up that resume with that+ fluent Spanish

>for fun
Brewing and cheesemaking. Studying chemistry professionally, and food chemistry is where I might wind up anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to learn more about something I find interesting sooner rather than later.

topology by james munkres

>african studies
u jokin?

No

Programming in Python..
I'm so bad at it rofl.

universal geometry
>tutorials, books, blogs or podcasts
i'm doing it old school

Me too

>pointless topology
>topological K-theory
>maybe some topos theory

density functional theory

>Abstract Algebra
>Algebra by Micheal Artin
>Harvard lecture series
>(youtube.com/watch?v=VdLhQs_y_E8&list=PLelIK3uylPMGzHBuR3hLMHrYfMqWWsmx5)

Recently looked over some old lin alg notes and was pretty quickly like "I recognize those conditions for vector spaces!"
Feelsgood when you see things connect.

Yeah, non-white immigrants always pronounce my name right.

Computer Science and math.
Starting with assembly and going higher later on.

Homotype Type Theory. With the only book there is for it.

I'm really digging it, I hope to start a little seminar on it next semester.

Learning C++. It's my first exposure to programming.

>book I'm using
archive.org/details/2014ProgrammingPrinciplesAndPracticeUsingCPlusPlus

>C++
>First language

I hope you're baiting user

Learn Haskell

haskellbook.com/

Fuck off with this shit advice. The first language one learns should be useful and nice to write in.

Transfinite game values for infinite chess

Why do you think Haskell is a bad first language? I understand it is good to know OOP concepts. Java is a good OOP language to learn and so on, but Haskell is inherently mathematical and beautiful

I have no time for studying for fun but if I could, then probably operator theory and go deeper into Galois theory

are you sure? john

>Not learning python as a first language

set theory before topology.

>the Japanese language
It was easy. Then it was hard. Power through and it gets easy again once you reach the level where you can read interesting books

I have to take a python class next semester so i might as well learn it now.

but i do have a haskell book from a friend maybe i should just do that

what do you think

Honestly Python is a good language to pick up. I think it's a good way to get your head into the right mindset for programming. If you're just a beginner you don't have to worry about speed and really low-level stuff. Hell I work in astronomy and python is used by professionals much smarter than IO am, because it's nice to use with loads of resources and extras to add.

the only two languages you really need are python and C++. python is good for most things, and C++ is for when you absolutely need it to be as fast as possible.

Meme Studies

is this real?
i can actually see how "meme studies" could be a valid sub-field of marketing psychology or something similar. but memes are changing rapidly, and what was cool 1 year ago could be irrelevant today. you'd have to really get into it on a psychological level and study what makes something popular on the internet

Anthropology
Mathematics
Psychology

There's several fields studying this shit as a legit thing.

Chaotic systems
This book

>spelling Java wrong

>spelling Java wrong

This is pretty much it, at least as far as scientific computing goes. Once you need to develop applications it gets complicated, and you are probably best off with what this guy said .

I'm learning category theory to apply it to computer science. Reading basic category theory paper by Pierce and follow up with it on Wikipedia, YouTube videos, nLab and then plan to follow up with a few different books and lecture series in parallel.

T.sauce math major interested in CS

What is this book called?

Trying to get into programming. Getting a grap of HTML and CSS before moving on to Java

mbti
>tfw brainlet

>Mathematics
Please explain

>tting a grap of HTML and CSS before moving
HTML and CSS is not programming language pajeet,
pick haskell or C before java

I only study for fun.
I've been "playing" with evo-game/ game theory, network theory and science, biosemiotics, and botany.
The other fun things I study are too rigorous to be included

Forgot to mention synergetics

There is no point learning HTML or CSS

HTML *and* CSS are Turing complete

>Turing complete
NO
without javascript they are not but HTML5 + CSS3 are turing complete.

>durr start with something simple
Don't listen to these homos. Python is no fun

Oh and for some textbook recs (basically things I would (re)read if I could), see Algebras of Linear Transformations by Farenick (very readable introduction to the functional analytic viewpoint, even though it only touches upon finite dimension vector spaces), Functional Analysis by Rudin and then maybe some specialized works for operator algebras and Galois Groups as Fundamental Groups by Szamuely, Algèbre et Théories Galoisiennes by the Douadys and Galois Theories by Borceux for Galois theory.
Also, I recently read the original papers by Galois and they are very inspiring. It's really amazing what he managed to do (constructing finite fields, establishing the Galois correspondence, giving a criterion for solvability, proving the simplicity of PSL(2, Fp) for p > 3) with so little technology (ie. without knowing what fields, groups, solvability and linear groups were). Lacking in rigour, for sure, but all the ideas were definitely there

>programming
>HTML
>CSS
>JAVA

suicide is an option

Can you recommend any resources? Also how many hours did you practice on average everyday?

The first language should be one that matters in your field.
If you want to be a systems programmer you won't need python since things are written in assembly, C or C++ or even Rust.
It'd be pointless to learn something high level but if you are going to write dirty scripts or even small tasks or anything in the scientific way you might as well choose python.

Are you a fucking mouth breathing retard? Yes, you are.

agree, as a mathfag haskell is the most fun language i've used

What's the source of the picture?

Nevermind. Found it:
>Javascript & Jquery by John Duckett.

I'm learning Java (first language) and some easier vector calculus right now. The calculus is a bit difficult to fully grasp, but I guess I'm pushing through (just finished divergence and curl of vector fields, starting double integrals soon)

Chemistry. I bake cakes

just wait to you get to triple integrals it will rock your world

music

how to cure my erectile disfunction

fuck....

>studying for fun
lol

i was obssessed with this for a while, made some fucking bomb ass cakes too