Has a book ever made you cry?

has a book ever made you cry?

East of Eden made me tear up at a couple parts, even though I knew they were very sappy. After Tom kills himself I had to walk around for a couple hours and think.

Alyosha's speech at the end of TBK. Really nice ending, but also incredibly emotional.

Wow thanks for the spoiler asshole. Use the fucking tags.

>Wow thanks for the spoiler asshole. Use the fucking tags.
You going to cry about it pussy?

The mother/son relationship in Novel with Cocaine is devastating. I cried after a few pages. Too close to home.
Also, Genet's Journal du Voleur made my eyes wet once or twice.

This. The bittersweet ending made me cry.

"Timshel"

That was so sappy but God damn me if I didn't feel that in my guts.

my diary desu

No. I dont have ovaries.

>being a cold logical machine
>claiming you're not a woman

You should've started with the Greeks.

Is Novel with Cocaine good? I was thinking of reading it but I don't know

I don't really cry over things when I get sad, but the end of A Prayer for Owen Meany left me pretty emotionally devastated

And he screamed it, too. Powerful moment.
Steinbeck is talented at making me cry over sappy shit desu. Cannery Row, OMAM and Grapes all made me cry.

Faggot pussy bitches. Man up

Crying at fiction is manly, crying at real life is gay.

Sarah Kane's Crave
Last hundred pages or so of Gaddis JR, culminating in Bast wanting to perform Fur Elise for Duncan.
Last pages of Cities Of The Plain, Llewellyn last conversation with the girl in No Country For Old Men and the coke can sharing in The Road.
Probably some more, those are the first that comes to mind.

Came close during A Christmas Carol

>controlling when you feel emotions vs. being at the mercy of how life affects you

This is correct.

vurt
the virgin suicides
Never let me go
the remains of the day
mason and Dixon

My mum once smacked me across the head with a prayer book because I was holding it upsidown.

From that day forward I pledged never to be whimsical again.

Your diary desu

??? All the time

Submission by Michel Houellebecq because i knew how accurate it was, it was the part when the jewish family is leaving for Israel and François mentions that he doesn't have an israel.

Ulysses

I cried because I knew I would never ever read something that good again

Wait until I publish my diary desu

i think this must be what's wrong with me, i read Ulysses and no book has challenged or pleased me since. i guess i can just read it all over again. maybe some day i'll try FW unironically.

The Road.

I'm used to apocalypses in media having some sort of bright spot in the middle of all the horror. Some chance that humanity could build itself up again after the fall. But all throughout The Road things just kept getting worse and worse and worse for the poor characters.

Until they finally find one small spot of warmth and light and comfort in the middle of all the darkness. At that point I had to stop reading and thought to myself: 'this doesn't matter. This safety they've found doesn't matter because the entire world is dead around them and so are they. None of this matters.'

Ugh. That fucking book. I wish I could wipe my mind and read it fresh again.

Siddharta

I read FW before I read Ulysses or even got very far into literature and it remains my favorite book. If you really pay attention and you have a good ear for puns, it makes way more sense than it's given credit for. It's a series of little scenes, basically

Oh and I hope you're good with portmanteaus

Lemme pet the rabbits, George.

>War and Peace
When Prince Andrei is wounded and hallucinating and Natasha comes and sees him and tells her "I love you" and she begs him to forgive her. And his death scene.

>The Count of Monte Cristo
When Edmond and Mercedes meet in his father's home in Marseilles after he's taken his revenge and they're strangers from each other

>The Road
>Steppenwolf

Animals being killed or injured seems to get to me every time, especially if it was unintended and regretted.

not a grill btw

The bit in the Confessions where Augustine talks about his mother's death got my eyes to sting.

Last paragraph of Titus Alone.

Read Turgenev's short story entitled "Mumu".

that graveyard bit in suttree

Yep.

Both at the end of Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird

I fully recognize I'm a little pussy btw

The latter parts of Dostoevski's Demons/The Possessed.

The ending of that Helen part in Goethe's Faust part 2 made me cry a little

>tfw you're ugly and life will always be terrible

To me, it is. You'd have to read it to know, cowboy.

REEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

i fucking lost it to that one
also had me

The end of one of Journey to Ixtlan did. Where Don Juan explains that he'll never return home to Ixtlan, that the people around will forever remain spectres, and that, other than Genaro, he is alone.

My heart momentarily broke.

The end of Il Gattopardo

Scenes of Clerical Life, but only the first book about Amos Barton. Also in Stoner of course and a Farewell to Arms even though I thought it would end that way.

Where the Red Fern Grows
At the end

The part where he steals the guy's clothes made me tear up