Thats it lit, im finally switching majors, I cant stand computers anymore. who am i kidding anymore...

thats it lit, im finally switching majors, I cant stand computers anymore. who am i kidding anymore, im not simply a talentless passionless shallow stemfag, i want to create, i am human after all, not a fucking engineer. im going to look like a fool, i fell for the STEM meme, i did it for the money thinking i could handle it, oh little did i know. im doing it.

maintain a double major or minor depending on how far you are with course work. leaving that shit to fulfill elective credit requirements will be a huge waste to your resume presentation.

thats assuming you need that after your creative training but it doesnt hurt to have backups.

Same story here my friend, switched from CS to philosophy and maths, no regrets.

cs was not doing it for you too ?

I go to a stem school and feel bad for most of the cs majors. The majority of them only go into it because they hear computing = money and then slowly realize they hate the countless languages and endless hours of coding. I know two, maybe three that actually enjoy it, and the rest are just on autopilot at this point.

I hope you find something you enjoy more op. Sorry you put those years in if it wasn't what you wanted.

I hate computer science too but I am on my final year. I feel like I can't just quit now.

>two, maybe three that actually enjoy it, and the rest are just on autopilot at this point
People accept that because they consider work as a means to an end and not meant to be fulfilling in itself. They tend to be people who consider the point of life to be having as many enjoyable experiences as possible, and I'd wager not many people here agree.

This. it would be such a waste of money for me to quit now and I have literally no other prospects or funds left to do anything else

I got into STEM because I had an amazing relationship and I wanted to be able to support it. Now I'm in STEM because I want to help save the world. I admire righteous scientists, businessmen, and politicians the most, but I don't think I enjoy my STEM field. I'm demonstrably an extremely creative composer of music, but if I can do that and be STEM, that'd probably be the best. On the other hand, STEM might destroy me. I don't think I can live happily off of my parents or welfare by making art. I wish we lived in utopia.

i am afraid that math may be too much for me. Its obviously more interesting than economy or cs, but it may be too hard for me, as i am lazy retard

If they want enjoyable experiences, why would they pursue miserable careers? Work is an experience in itself and usually ends up taking a majority of people's time. I don't understand how people compromise the ways they do.

this is what you do go hang around technical colleges in the nursing department and find a girl with a nice ass that gets high grades brainwash her into falling in love with you then you get like $50,000+ a year from her and can do whatever you want

You definitely have to love CS to be good at it, but I've definitely talked to a few coders that see it as a creative outlet. My deepest experience with coding is in some UX Design and SEO stuff I've done, but from what I've been told there can be "elegant" code.

In any case, writing doesnt mean you'll be a broke loser either. There's a lot of need for good communicators in business. The ad industry regularly hires creative-focused majors as well. You should be able to make money to live while working on a passion project if you get the right internships and connections from here on out.

Don't pay $100000+ for something you hate.

I don't think it's so much that they do things they know will make them miserable, but rather they don't place stock in finding a field that will give them fulfillment so they just look for the least unbearable career. That's not to say they don't find enjoyment in their work, but they have the attitude that if they won the lottery they'd quit the next day.

You people are all stupid. You're switching to a wild card major that is almost guaranteed to ensure you work retail until you shoot yourself? Stay where you are and read books/write on your own time instead of learning the way some Marxist hack wants you to.

op here, im having second thoughts, i like psychology though im not sure if it would work out for the best, considering how hard it is to get a job in that field, im unsure on what to do, but part of me still thinks it
'd be easier if i stick to fucking computers, if only i had good teachers...

I switched from the humanities to CS/Math. The humanities are interesting but filled with all sorts of ideologues and career academics who are only capable of talking in some particular overwrought mode of speech half the time, and in whatever business-jargon is needed to keep the operation afloat the other half. Not that STEM isn't like that sometimes, but pretty much all the STEM lecturers I've had have been amazing and passionate and cultivated a love of learning that goes deeper than "lrn2java" or whatever.

so, what is the point of life?

I'm majoring in EECS but I take philosophy and other humanities classes for fun/fulfillment and to complete my minors in those areas. I'm only a sophomore, and my main question is: will I grow to hate these subjects more as time goes on? I've always had a passion for physics, philosophy, and literature.

Find fulfillment any way you can, because there is no absolute meaning in life. Try to make that quest for fulfillment about something deeper than materialism or wasting your life as a slave, because those are pretty fragile ways to do so.

This.

Don't be lazy. Life's a bitch. You have to work hard to get what you want from life. Switching majors is fine, IF you're doing it because you realize that you might be better suited for another line of work, rather than because you think it might be a smoother ride for you.

Know this: the smoother ride will fuck you in the end.

so, not this:

Post music link?

Those two posts aren't in conflict necessarily.

i ended up doing both cs and lit and am graduating next fall

double major is probably the easiest path - recruiters/companies love it if you're interested in working afterwards anyway - and in my circumstances it gives me the freedom to travel long term and work remotely after graduation

why not just do that

Fuck yeah! Only works while you're young though. If I tried this now it'd look creepy.

t. 33 year old

Switched from Engineering to history no regrets
Fuck working my ass off in a thankless environment for $80k a year

But now you'll be working for 20k/yr in a thankless job flipping burgers

>not leeching off welfare

wew lad

Good choice lad. Dodged a bullet.

I'm a cit/programming major and minoring in philosophy. Its only 15 more credit hours for a philosophy major, is there a real point to double majoring? I'm going into my second semester sophomore year (spent my first year at art school lul).

I really enjoy / am satisfied by programming and haven't academically studied philosophy yet (starting next semester).

Veeky Forums's Anti-STEM circle jerk is as bad as the rest of the world's pro-STEM circle jerk.

That being said, I dropped out of my Computer Engineering degree and lived out of my backpack for a year, now I work at Sears for 6 dollars an hour plus commission and live in low-income housing. Working for a bit and then hitting the road for a bit isn't really a sustainable lifestyle, but I have NO REGRETS... yet.

Jesus christ this is terrifying

don't be a fucking retard user.

if you have a good dev gig in the bay area you get mad fucking prime pussy if you're semi good looking and not an autist.

most people have to work for a living unless we're paid for by rich parents.

So why not have a fat stem job which will let you score hella pussy and take fat vacations in exotic foreign lands?

if anything that kind of experience would do more for your writing than struggling in some shitty job with your non-stem pleb degree. Or being stuck in the humanities grad school con with no way out.

I'm CS and Math here. I like CS when the problems are entertaining and challenging and usually those are research level questions and not humpty dumpty coding a website or an app, EWWW.

That's a patrician double major. I sincerely and unironically wish you a good job in NYC or SF and the pussy that comes with a good job, sir.

>philosophy major

>Computer Engineering

lol i know a guy who dropped out of a computer engineering degree too, plebs think "computers and engineering, like combined? i'll have like, all the jobs!" then they realize it's just a narrow branch of electrical engineering with some low level programming thrown and proceed to search for an excuse to drop out, seems like most the people who do Computer Engineering have no clue what they're even going to be studying other than something to do with computers and engineering.

>implying STEM is inherently uncreative
>implying STEM destroys your life
>implying STEM is inherently miserable

if anything this thread has been quite anti-anti-stem jerk

that's what all the wimps that can't handle coding complex projects say..."oh i like the math parts more..." bullshit i know a lil' bitch trying to dodge writing code when i see it, never hiring any lame "math lovers" to write code, gtfo

That's not what it was like at my school. For us CPE and EE took almost all of the same courses and the only difference was a little more programming for the CPE's. Either way, the average starting salary at my school for both majors was around 65,000 per year.

(the secret is to be litstem, ever heard of da vinci, you fucking cowards?)

i graduated with a degree in computer science about 8 years ago. i am miserable but comfortably middle class.

oh how i wish i was you - i wish i was standing on that precipice again...leave engineering far behind you and embrace the humanities. do it for me, do it for all of us who chose the path of being a robot.

good luck.

why don't u just work on ur own projects or be a freelancer or something? u don't have to work on some boring java middleware for some insurance company, or whatever unhappy programmers do that makes them so bitter

is this fucking real?

is this an actual advertisement they posted on a website somewhere?

STEM is not a meme, it's just you shouldn't go into it unless you actually have an interest. Too many people study engineering or cs because they think it will make them rich or whatever, but what good is having lots of money if earning it makes you miserable? Also, just because you do STEM doesn't make you uncreative or shallow, look at Pynchon, he studied engineering and is one of the best living American writters.

also, most ppl who just study stem for the money may be able to get all As in school, but they won't be able to go up against hardcore autistic geeks in the industry, i mean sure u'll get an entry level, but you gotta geek hard to go up

this

Same situation here.
The worst thing is Im planning on going for 2 more years (getting a masters degree) after Im done with my bachelor this year. I just cant deal with starting all over again in some field I might actually enjoy, because Im too old, and those fields dont offer any jobs.

Young, eighteen year old user here. Took a semester off, start college this upcoming spring. My passion is in the arts; considering an English degree (not a fan of the careers resulting from it) or attempting a degree in film/directing even though it's competitive and hard. Tempted to just major in a business related field and make the cash, and keep my passions as hobbies. What are your opinions, my wizened Veeky Forums senpai?

>get Stem degree
>Can't get job
>Get some low paying accounting clerk job
>Work part time

Sucks in a lot of ways but still comfy. I got lots of time to read and shit. No kids. Gf pays for half of everything and more sometimes.

Wonder how long I'll last before I kill myself

My personal experience is that people are different. Some people need to work hard to get satisfaction out of life and some people need a paycheck and a lawnchair. Either way, life is practiced rather than preached. Any philosophy which ignores that is missing the point.
You found out what you wanted. I think it's horrible how college makes you an indentured servant and yet everyone is told its the only way. Especially when the most plentiful jobs in america are blue collar work with some technical background.

Did they even care about or verify the degree for that job?

How do peoples even pay for their college? I am stuck in lowest wage job i hate, and i have no money to sustain daily uni, also i am scared to leave this job as market here is really bad. Life is terrible

No doing the grunt work for an accountant takes zero knowledge. Just data entry basically

Have you considered the military?

>be irish
>be good at every subject that isn't art or music in school (study english, irish, math, french, economics, chemistry, physics)
>read patrician Veeky Forumserature, train in the gym and play basketball in my spare time
>get the highest results in maths, physics and irish (120 students in my year)
>study computer engineering in a good technical university, will have zero student debt when I finish
>currently have the equivalent of a 3.7 GPA
>also fluent in both Irish and French, took the exams in both under the european common framework of languages
>already had an internship in a hedge fund in london last summer, will likely do a masters in computer science and become a quantitative analyst
>will more than likely start on 6 figure compensation (that's in GBP)
>also work as a model during my holidays, it gives me extra cash and it's fun

Fuck, I love myself so much. Hard work pays off.

I'm still really lonely though

>lying on a literature forum

>Source: online survey
>Even with that it never breaks 50%
>Even thinking of implying that there isn't significant overlap between all of these numbers originating from workaholics.

And it's not like someone could legitimately enjoy their work, either.

What are you working towards though?

Money and power.

The only things that matter in this world.

Spooky

actually that is the least spooky thing ever, but ur too spooked by ur spook obsession to see life clearly

spooky man spooked

You will always hate life and yourself

Unless you have some unimaginable talent, youre better off studyiny what will make you decent money, and then pursuing your interests on the side

Loans

Im stacking up a lot of debt rn, more than I need to bc I want to live on campus rather than commute

Im too retarded to let the prospect of being in debt for life deter me from having fun these next 4 yrs

>2016
>still falling for student loans trap

dude in the 2000s ppl didnt know any better but come the cat is out of the bag on that rip off, if u do it to urself don't go crying to the democrats to bail u out, i took loans in the 2000s and paid them off in less than 5 years and ill be damned if i take another loan for anything besides starting a business

Same story here, I got within 3 semesters of graduating with my bachelor's in electrical engineering and I just couldn't do it anymore. I totally stopped caring and would just sit in my apartment reading and masturbating all day. Now from my extensive reading my perspective has been sufficiently enlarged to encompass any meme and see beyond it. I've been dememed. I no longer esteem nor fear anything. No idea what to major in, the only reason I'm still in college is because I'm trying to meet hot chicks. But I'm 27 and they're mostly 18 so either too easy or too weird most of the time. But I have nothing else to do so it's whatevs. I have seen the world, I have tested its limits, and the only remaining consideration is the most eligible way in which to walk out of it.

Could you explain the value of those things and why they are more important than other things people value (like love, pleasure, family, etc)

bump

because the more money and power you have the better life you can provide for the family you love, and the less barriers there are to pleasure...stop being an edgy teen and grow up, it's not that hard to figure out.

What choice do I have

The field I want to go into (dentistry) is gonna put me into a lot of debt, no avoiding it bc im not rich.

Need loans for uni, for dental school, and to open a practice

Might as well enjoy these last 8 years of my life in which I wont be a debt slave

>quest for money and power because they're the only things that matter
>not spooked
???

You're either incredibly delusional or actually mentally retarded. Pick which one and I'll respond accordingly.

>thinking anything besides money and power matters

nice spooks bro

right because being a betadad who can barely provide for his family despite being a snivelling flunky at his low wage job is a great way to treat the family you claim to love...if u love ur family so much why don't u provide a good life for them u cuck

>nice spooks bro
nice spooks bro

Seems like a bit of both. This board doesn't really seem like the place for you. Is there a /pol/ for children with mental disabilities? I think you'd feel at home there.

In a utopia there would be no art lol

Because being into stem is synonymous with being talentless, passionless, and shallow? I can smell your insecurity through my monitor. You're clearly just shitting over the field in some pathetic attempt to nurse your bruised ego and justify your lack of skill or passion to hack it.

P.S., coming up with algorithms and solutions to computer science problems requires a good deal of creative thinking, as there are almost always an infinite number of ways to achieve something across varying degrees of effectiveness.

in a utopia there would be no thermodynamic activity

Holy shit, I just switched from my Comp Engg degree to Commerce and Arts (majoring in Finance and Philosophy)

Will this happen to me (my GPA is much better than what it was in my previous degree)??

Shit son, were pointers just THAT hard for you?

If this is all I an expect from life than I want out

>implying your kids will give a shit whether you provide them with excess wealth beyond their basic needs.

you're doing it wrong senpai, just have 10 of them and raise them catholic. that way they won't be spooked enough by materialism to be ungrateful shits

stemfags getting salty

probably the oldest fuck in this thread, but stem particularly CS/math is filled with some fuckin awesome people. it's sad you guys have only been exposed to the shit world that is startup/silcon valley and the "tech journalist" circlejerk.

infosec in particular is filled with some fucking cool people. some of the smartest people in the world actually. and they're fun, nice, caring, accepting people. so sad desu.

dude wtf man explain why you disagree. people can't read your mind

coding can be very enjoyable, but university does not foster interest to it

>Studying Computer Science/Programming/etc
>My fellow students are either overweight neckbeard fedoras or retarded bulldykes

>embrace the humanities. do it for me, do it for all of us who chose the path of being a robot
Where does this idea that doing the humanities lets you do a 'creative' job come from? There just aren't that many creative jobs in existence- ignoring the fast food service employee memes, successful humanities graduates generally go on to do administrative work and teaching. Even the 'creative' jobs that do exist (advertising being the prime example) are commonly seen as soulless and not truly creative.

If you really want to be 'creative', you can only do it for free, on your own time. And for that, what you studied is irrelevant.

So don't go to uni?

>Implying engineer is not human
Learn biology and Fuck you

>>study computer engineering in a good technical university
IT pleb detected. kekek

Enjoy Tralee or Athlone or whatever shithole IT you're going to you brainlet

also
>fluent in Irish
definitely lying unless you're the guy from Kerry.

Where abouts in my post did I say I was studying in Ireland? Fool.

I know how you feel, I did CS my freshman year. That was before I realized that everybody in the program was a vapid, empty "computer nerd" looking to squeeze a 90k salary out of their "hobby" when in reality they will never amount to anything other than modern-day factory workers with a massive debt burden.

Doing psychology now

Your power structure has been satisfied by surrogate activities. People like you are why we can't, at this time, uprise against the technological society.