Hey guys, I'm in my final year of undergrad in CS...

Hey guys, I'm in my final year of undergrad in CS. I'm thinking in doing a simulation based on DFC(dynamic fluid computation).Am I able to handle it?

no

Why not?

Come on, dont bump on me user.

They're extremely complicated. If you can do it, then good on you.

Do you have any fluid or aero background?

A little bit

What I'm asking here user is the following:

Does my degree prepares me for making a thesis on this subject?

Am I able to build my comp sci thesis based on this subject?

I have all night

Go read a fucking paper on it

According to sci it's impossible.
Theoretically you could if you studied meme(muh_maths,muh_physics), but now that you've spent 3 years in what is deemed to be an "easy" course, your mind has degenerated to a point where it is no longer possible to comprehend #RealScience

I'm not saying in implementing something from scratch, I'm going to create a mathematical model and then simulate it on OpenFOAM.

I'm impressed, everybody paints a picture that DFC is the most impossible thing to do.

Everybody is memeing because your question is retarded. How should anyone now what you can and cannot do? How should anyone know what exactly you want to do? Stop being retarded.

Assuming you have a good understanding of PDEs, then sure.

You need to know:

1) Fluid mechanics
2) Thermodynamics
3) Differential equations (Ordinary and Partial).
4) Numerical methods of solving said DEs.

There's more to CFD than just programming. CFD is like a delta at the confluence of engineering/physics, numerical methods for differential equations and traditional computer programming.

Assume you have a mathematical model e.g. in this case the 1D wave equation, you discretise the DE describing the flow, program it and get some results. To interpret the results and to verify whether these results accurately represent physical reality, one requires a background in engineering/physics.

A specific example: the Euler equations which describe inviscid flow. Say you discretise your computational domain (flow field) and solve the flow, you start to notice that there's friction in the flow even though the equations that you just discretised and solved are for inviscid. What do you do ?

Look at numerical schemes (numerical methods for ODEs and PDEs) and you realise that by no programming error of yours, something called numerical viscosity appears. Then you go back to the physics and wonder what the next step is.

This shit is so easy.

>create 10^23 particles
>solve equations of motion using F=ma
>it should work gr8 if ur comp isnt a total brainlet

You're trolling right? CFD involves Navier-Stokes equations in order to describe the behavior of fluids

Hi, thx for your answer. I think I dont have a good background in engineering/physics in order to validate the results of my simulation. I tought I could just take some experimental results and compare with the simulation that I created (this simulation of course mimmicks the experimental behavior).

I'm creating this simulation model for mechanical machinery involving water-like fluids (I'm being purposely generic on this description). This machinery is already widely used and have a shit ton of designs (each one for a situation). I just want to simulate some of them and perhaps check the optimality of such design in a certain condition.

Extremely unlikely.

>Does my degree prepares me for making a thesis on this subject?
No. Most CS degrees barely prepare you for a thesis, so get good at writing.
>Am I able to build my comp sci thesis based on this subject?
You should be able to.

Not a good one. I mean you can do whatever as long as you relax the requirements for precision.

Ok, it seems now that the concensus regarding a thesis at undergrad level in CS is a bad idea. Do you guys know someone/some work that achieved such thing?

Yeah, maths/engineering/science undergrads.

I was expecting a more specific answer.

Inb4 for lack of bibliography references.

my brother did a senior thesis in CS.
depends on your program lol.

this is not a CS topic, this is what literally the topic that every aero/mech/whoever engineers pursue for their thesis/senior project

are you prepared to suck on their cocks?