Is biology really just memorizing stuff ?

Is biology really just memorizing stuff ?

Im studying computer science and I would never think of not going to class but I wanted to take some biology courses on the side so I can finish a bioligy degree after I finish CS.

But I would have to spend 24/7 out of home (mostly cuz travel from one faculty to the other) so I wanted to know if you think its possible to just study at home (like if there is no critical reasoning needed I dont need to go to class I can just read and memorize at home).

pic related biolulgy is for grills but i find it fun and want some grills, already cs alpha male feelsgoodman

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-called-rolodoc-the-worst-shark-tank-pitch-ever-2013-9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is biology really just memorizing stuff ?

Nope, its messy and experimental.

And you have to memorize a fucking shitload

>And you have to memorize a fucking shitload
I didnt ask how much I said if it was just memorization or not m9

if you go into evolutionary biology yes

if you go into shit like micro/molecular/genetics/immunobiology then no

That's what medicine is, for sure.

This is why I hated biology.
Engineering and CS is puzzle solving, 95% of medicine and biology is just straight memorization.

Sure once you mix engineering into medicine it becomes fun but yeah.

It's gonna be totally sexist but that's why women love biology and medicine. It's just memorizing shit. They get to play all the memorization games and feel special for it.

Puzzle solving is where it's at.

What is it like being a man in biology undergrad? Do the girls just look for some beta to leech off of?

>>biology
>>manly

where did this medicine = memorisation meme come from? if it did then anyone could do it; its about as braindead a statement as saying maths is nothing but memorising formulas.

lectures material is problem solving at home

labs are people want to get done ASAP, lab classes arn't taken as seriously as independent research

majority of people here are maths/physics; they havn't taken anything beyond HS or maybe intro bio in college which is memorization needed to create a basis to know what to do in the actual classes; it's like saying chemistry is all memorization because you need to know key chemicals from the periodic table as well as common compound structures. None of my upper division classes have been memorization based (of course everything has at least a bit of memorization involved) except for a virology class taught by a 70 year old who did not give a fuck.

Though to be fair if you go into shit like evolutionary bio/anatomy/certain branches of physio it is pretty much memorization

I wouldn't say memorisation gets you very far in anatomy - you obviously need to spend time learning the language but the point is to draw inferences from structures rather than parrot their names

to tell you the truth I haven't taken anatomy (I don't have to for microbiology), I have taken physiology though and I just imagined anatomy would be a more structure based version rather than process focused

biology is gay as fuck. especially since you're doing cs it should be about as interesting to you as web dev

To get a BA or BS, yes.

To get a PhD, no.

yes, recall when the great Charles Darwin memorized the theory of evolution

>Is biology really just memorizing stuff ?
Of course a question so simplistic is going to be somewhat wrong. Yes, there is a lot of memorization but there is also a fuckton of problem solving and experimentation. I'd say in college it's about 50/50.

Crap, intended for

Only if you're gunning for an MD or MBBS or BDS.

nice

It's not a meme. Go to youtube and look up some USMLE prep videos. It's literally just hundreds of mnemonics.

Everybody CAN do it. But very few people have the discipline to re-read the same shit for 12 hours a day.

The USMLE is not real practice though, and just trying to memorize the whole thing is the most brainlet way of doing it.

There is an old Russian saying.

If You keep shooting the same spot, You will eventually hit the target.

Study.

No, biology is the study of life.
It is the most meaningful study.
Why? Because life is the thing that makes information meaningful.

Anyone can do it. You don't even need to think critically to become a doctor.

It depends on what you're doing with biology. For the most part, the smaller the biology gets, the less it becomes about memorization and the more it becomes about understanding a system.

Does bioinformatics count?

is this a you cringe you lose thread?

this

businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-called-rolodoc-the-worst-shark-tank-pitch-ever-2013-9

The cringiest thing is that OP is genuinely afraid of what other anonymous high-schoolers on Veeky Forums might think of him because he's interested in biology.
Memeing is one thing, but letting Veeky Forums, which is pretty much 99% underage millenials nowadays, actually influence your decisions in life is sad as fuck.

I took two semesters of a&p and it was basically physiology on the cellular level. Knowing names of structures was probably 10 percent of the class and knowing the function of each cell in each tissue was the other 90 percent. It was pretty hellish. A lot of it was memorization, but there were concepts with most of each function.

Rarely did the professor tell us "this happens just because it does". There was always a reason paired with something as there should be. The only problem is that there's a million functions in the human body and you have to know which is which and what they do and why and what they interact with and how and which chemicals are used in each and so on. The professor also wrote the exams so that if you didn't know maybe two or three things from each chapter you got a B/C.

Overall nearly impossible to memorize and do well. And as a side note, I'm a microbiology student as well. Weird that they didn't make you take anatomy.

Biology is a huge fucking mess of problems with an ungodly number of specializations. You have to memorize things for 3-4 years just so you can begin the actual problem solving.

Do you actually expect people on nowadays Veeky Forums to know what bioinformatics is?

I haven't analyzed that, let me open up Spark.

Everything involves memorizing a shit load of shit, brainlet.

Not everyone does medicine because getting in is the actual challenge, not getting through.

Do you have an emphasis on the medical field? I'm not even required to take physio i just took it

Ever ask a doctor about it? The ones I know agree with the meme.

Lol cs brainlets always oversimplifying shit into 1s and 0s. Biology is insanely fucking complex

When you get to upper-level bio classes the problems become a lot more puzzle-like. For example my cell bio professor put a question where we had to design a mechanism for drug delivery across a bilayer under hypertonic conditions inside the cell.

Fuck that class put me in a state of flow

It definitely made me better at talking with girls. I went in freshman year being borderline sperg but a few labs with Stacey lab partners beat that outta me. My program was small (~300 students in the major), I was friends with most of the male bio majors outside of a few pre-med creeps.

Most female bio majors dated Chads outside of the bio major, but almost all the males dated other bio majors [spoiler]including me[/spoiler]. But that's probably because the male:female ratio in our program was like 3:7. If you're good at chemistry you could easily pull some by helping chicks with ochem, since the "biologists sucking at ochem" meme is pretty true. I studied with a few girls before exams and I probably could have smashed at least one of them if I found them attractive.

>the vast majority of this board is now memeing about what is a good major and what is a bad major
>everyone who isn't a theoriticalhyperastro dung mathematician is a brainlet
>biology is the whipping boy
fuck i am not having fun here anymore

I am seriously considering to start a Math degree on the side in addition to my CS degree because of Veeky Forums, even if my CS program is already very theoretical

Physics majors are more idolized than math majors tbqh.

You have to memorize a shit load and internal concepts for the first 3 years. Then last year of your BA is all about applying that knowledge (e.g from the cross, can you deduce the mechanism involved)

>Is biology really just fucking easy?
yeah it's fucking easy

Take ur meds dude