Logic and Mathematics

Does it make sense to learn Logic? Or is it entirely unrelated to Mathematics?

Should somebody learn Logic if they want to learn Mathematics?

(Almost) all proofs are based on logic, so yes, you need logic if you want to do mathematics

In Cs Logic is very important

Yes

logic = philosophy = mathematics

You can't "learn" logic. It's an ability that should already be found in your brain. Mathematics just provides ways to express logical structures and proofs on paper.

OR is pleb tier operator. It's all about those AND and NOT operators.

Logic is pretty important. Any mathematics curriculum will have a first semester class that starts by teaching propositional logic and then to translate propositional tautologies into first order meta-theorems.

Mine was called "foundations". Good times. I didn't realize it until a year later but fuck, that course really made me better at proofs. The difference is incredible. I love that professor now.

You have a misperception of what logic is. Logic is not divorced from mathematics, because it is a field of mathematics.

Research in logic includes recursion theory, model theory, proof theory, category theory, and is used heavily in areas like theory of computation.

You'll find a lot of logic used in theoretical CS in areas like automated theorem proving and so on.

You're misperception is like asking if one should learn algebra (abstract) if they want to learn math.

idiots

Typing on mobile and do not have the patience to delete the comment, and then repost with my corrected your* due to autocorrect mistakes

>almost
Which proof doesn't use logic?

All the logic gates we need are invented already. There's no point studying a subject if it has no more room for advancement.

>logic is a field of mathematics

Logic is a field of philosophy and mathematics is a field of logic.

Shouldn't take more than a few weeks to learn all operators, all rules of inference and all rules of substitution. So yeah go do it.

>implying and, xor etc.. can't be constructed from just 'or' & 'not'.
>pleb
Pick both.

> There's no point studying a subject if it has no more room for advancement.
lol. if this is not bait pls kys

>what is boolean algebra

Please pick up a book on formal and symbolic logic. It is arguably the most fundemental field of philosophy, and forms the foundation for every single belief we hold in mathematics and science.

You've got it backwards. Logic is the basis on which we build mathematics. All the assumptions we make in mathematics can only be made because they have been built on simple consistent logic.

That said all of the best logicians are also mathmeticians and vice versa.

This
In my naive sophomore opinion formal logic (like analysis) really helps you become comfortable with proofs. Also (like most of math) it's incredibly interesting