>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Bova_bibliography
youtube.com/watch?v=5wCF50U-0Dg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

failure of a man who wanted to be wonderful at math but is now suicidal here

Give me some good math/science intensive books please

That's an ugly fucking picture, fuck you.

Make charts great again

Greg Egan's stuff might be worth a look

QUICK

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TECHNOLOGY OR CONCEPT FROM A HARD SCI-FI STORY

Any recommendations for the Warhammer 40k novels? I know nothing about the lore.

Daily reminder this is a board about literature and Science Fiction and Fantasy are not literature. You are kindly invited to move such threads to /b/ or reddit.

you haven't reminded me daily though

Any fantasy with exponential powerelevels eg destroying planets at the end?

>tripfag
Your opinion is of no value, piss off now

Suck my dick, faggot.

My opinion is of no value, yet that of eternal teenage virgins who wallow in the most infantile and inane genre of fiction should somehow prevail?
You fucks must be such a disappointment to your families. Take your escapism somewhere else.

Some of it is literature.

Isn't all non-fiction escapism in a sense? Indeed, some historical accounts are escapism too, like Jews pretending that they were genocided to feel like they aren't a privileged class and wealthy but underdogs instead.

>i dont have an imagination so i brand science fiction and fantasy as escapism to feel superior

haha fuck off ya cunt. Your pretentiousness just radiates from the way you type and the fact you're a tripfag just adds to it. Get off your high horse

>"They don't read what I read, so I get mad" The post
Only time I will consciously reply to your inane drivel. Thank you for your opinion nonetheless.

There's currently a YouTube thread, two comicbook threads, and one asking for "good anti semetic novels" on the board. Take your elitist cuntery somewhere else.

It wasn't always like this and it doesn't have to always be like this either.

No, not really. Escapism (as in Horror, Detective Fiction, Science Fiction, Historical novels, Fantasy, etc.) only exists to provide the reader with entertainment and an alternate reality. It has no redeeming value whatsoever, and doesn't wish to achieve anything beautiful. Its goal isn't to further a three thousand year-old tradition of thought and art ; it merely is to provide folks with easy, cheap thrills. It's not a matter of taste or subjectivity --- it isn't literature. Literature, at its core, is a research in aesthetics. Escapism is a research in pleasure.

Objective criteria exist. Science Fiction and Fantasy do not qualify as literature.

Fortunately the rest of the free world disagrees with you.

>Literature, at its core, is a research in aesthetics.
I disagree, it's not about aesthetics but substance and formulating that in elegant manners. Pretty prose or poems are nothing without great thought behind them.

What SFF have you actually read? I mean, a good bit of it actually is as you describe, but not all. At its best, Science Fiction explores how the "tradition of thought and art" might grow and change in years to come, and Fantasy echoes back to past mythologies and archetypes in interesting ways. It sounds like you're judging a very broad field based on some Star Wars novelizations you happened to run across.

I would actually agree with him in a broad sense, genre fiction written to be genre fiction is trash. It's okay to enjoy trash but one must never become pretentious about it. Unfortunately the majority of books that does not belong to the ghetto of genre fiction are mostly garbage too thanks to women and other hack writers.

I don't think I've ever read science fiction that isn't progressive erotica but there are early "fantasy" stories that have built on the tradition of myth.

The needle-casting and cortical stack stuff from the Takeshi Kovacs series.

>thanks to women and other hack writers
I've actually found women to have a slightly better average; there's fewer really brilliant ones - Susanna Clarke and that Brit who did The Bloody Chamber are all that really spring to mind - but they don't seem to produce Goodkind-tier autists either.

>complaining about this on an anime website

>womameme authors

lol

Oh, right, you're one of THAT lot. Never mind then.

Name 3 good fantasy womameme authors

The two I mentioned above and, I dunno, Willis or McAffrey or someone. Keep in mind "good" isn't a particularly tough standard, since half of /sffg/ considers Sanderson to be good.

Why aren't there any decent books about Magic and living with Magic? The only good stories either have "We can influence a bit but it's barely magic" or it's about normal humans and there happen to be also some people or race that can do magic but it is hardly focused on it.
I like shit like Harry Potter. Yes it has tons of flaws but there's a shitton on fucking magic in it. Even better besides a few flaws which had to be corrected in later Books (Like time travel) it all makes a certain degree of sense.
I want a book that's bursting at the seams with magic.

Name 3 more actual good authors now

Magicians trilogy
Malazan
Anything Sanderson

I get the feeling if I do you'll just post "now name 3 actual good ones" again.

I wanted to write something about two magicians searching for a person who discovered a new form of magic that breaks the rules of reality, but I never got around to it as is often the case.

You mean you wanted to write Jonathan Strange And mr noreelll?

I read the first Magicians book and... well it was ok. But again it was super fucking inconsistent. At first they only manage to do small "party trick" tier magic which is fine, then they go to russian gulag style winter magic boot camp and suddenly they are all quite really good at magic but then they go somewhere and can barely magic again because the planets are different.. and by the end of it the fucker is so freaking good at magic that he can fly to the fucking moon like superman himself and except for the first time I hardly feel like these are any deserved jumps in power. It very much looks like they rise and fall as the plot demands it. Had one of the best sex scenes in it though and I don't mean the cuckery.

Sounds like Raymond E. Feists "Magician"

>You mean you wanted to write Jonathan Strange And mr noreelll?
Maybe, but with an American man and a British woman that are constantly shifting between bickering over non-essential stuff, flirting at the wrong time, and arguing over where to look for said magician next when trails grow cold or when the clues get too mixed up.

Carolyn
Janice
Cherry

Help me /ssfg/, you're my only hope. The science fiction genre is mostly uncharted territory for me and I have trouble finding a particular kind of book that I want to read. It's hard to know where to even start looking so please help me out here.

Basically what I'm after is a standalone book with little to none jewery and degeneracy that's about strange alien worlds, pioneering space and solving mysteries. That sounds simple but the problem is that while all of those things are prevalent in the genre they're almost always used as a backdrop for something else. I'm looking for something that focuses on those weird landscapes of distant planets, the journey to those places and what discoveries lies waiting. Preferably not too large in scale, I dislike epics about the whole of humanity.

Dune.

The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy

I've read Dune, it's one of the reasons I want what I mentioned. The well realised setting and atmosphere really was something else.
Isn't Douglas Adams a meme author? Seems a bit too whacky for me.

He is but it's still a fun journey

douglas isnt a meme author. he's actually pretty good.

i wouldnt recommend hitchhikers though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Bova_bibliography

I'm not sure if there is any jewery and degeneracy behind these works as I can barely remember them, from reading some about 10 years ago

Chuck Tingle. He writes wholesome books for normal men.

Raymond E Feist kinda gets to that level, but it takes lots and lots of books. When the first story arc is about a war between two worlds fought between magic rifts, the escalation gets pretty dramatic really fast. I tapped out when it became about trying to fight an entire plane of existence that was ruled by an evil god trying to destroy their universe.

I just wanna play video games and write books my entire life with next to no human contact and be able to both sustain and indulge myself in my life style. Is this possible Veeky Forums?

If you sell yourself and write erotica or YA then it is possible. Or you can play the lottery and try to write good genre fiction.

>Sell yourself
Doesn't sound so bad. Rowling got away with it.

So you want a book about extraterrestrials and exploration without degeneracy - so nothing featuring sex outside of marriage, homosexuality, incest, blasphemy, conspicuous consumption... and nothing by a Jewish man either.

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C Clarke should be boring enough for your strait-laced tastes, but he might have been a homosexual IRL, and he wasn't a God-fearing Christian either. If you're sensitive dear heart can live with that, go ahead.

I'm not convinced she's so self-aware. But once again, she one the lottery big time. Odds are won't happen to you, after all you can't write Harry Potter again.

Was talking about selling myself and write YA. Nobody in their right mind plays the lottery these days.

Clarke was a gay pedo.

Eisenhorn

Why do you insist on calling Berserk shounen? It's not at all, and you've already been corrected.

>entertainment
>no redeeming value
Go fuck yourself
Almost all literature exists for entertainment purpose. Literature isn't a necessity and it isn't a vehicle for social change in this day and age.
Writers can please themselves by saying their work advances the craft but after postmodernism there is no advancing or refining; just going in different directions. An honest writer knows that they're basically just an entertainer and takes pride in it.

>but after postmodernism there is no advancing or refining; just going in different directions.
What if you're not a postmodernist?

>Almost all literature exists for entertainment purpose.
That's not true, considering it was not written or read for entertainment. Get your plebiean head out of your plebiean ass and read a book that isn't fantasy garbage.

The movement still affected the art form. Postmodernism made the continous development of artistic crafts and the increasing number of complex literary theories look absurd.
Proper literature or anything else that can be classed as fine art is for faggots. Do what you want.

I write knowing that I'm just a storyteller and I'm happy with it. Likewise I read stories that entertain me.
You look down on any book which wasn't written with the intent of bringing about change like a stuck up cunt.

Everything during and after modernism is for queers. Without Tradition and transcendental values everything you do will be garbage.

Go home Gene Wofle

jesus isn't gonna suck ur dick bro

No.

I was also about to also recommend Hitchhikers guide: youtube.com/watch?v=5wCF50U-0Dg

I find it quite difficult to be genuinely amusing in book form but Douglas Adams actually manages that pretty damn well.

Ooh tough one.

Watts, of course.

ConSensus was hardly his idea, but he described it well enough. All the transhuman elements from BS and Echo were excellent. I loved all the shit was Starfish too. He's a hard scifi's hard-on.

Fuckinnnnn Gateway.
Or Chasm City.
Or Hyperion.

All bangers.

>I find it quite difficult to be genuinely amusing in book form but Douglas Adams actually manages that pretty damn well.

I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator made it probably funnier than if I were to just read it

Lets all reports this tripfag who spams our thread every time, maybe a few days banned would ease his sense of superiority.

The Stephen Fry one I linked? I fucking love Stephen Fry, Probably my favourite gay. I don't normally listen to Audio Books but I did make an exception for him reading Hitchhikers and Harry Potter.

actually chasm city is full of degeneracy but it's condemned so

I used to listen to audiobooks while I was at work. His Harry Potter one is really good.

>Eragon

I think it was read by the author

>Gene Wolfe gets more pussy than you
Fuck

What do people here think of Claire North? I thought First Fifteen Lives of Harry August was fantastic for something trying to walk the line between sf and mainstream literature.

>Womameme

Probably garbage

>Planning on writing a book that may or may not turnĀ“into a series, or at least try to.
>I push the limit of how many books I could at most write with the plot, characters, and world building I have.
>18 books
It's good to have dreams, but pipe dreams are not healthy. Fug.

Admittedly her more recent stuff hasn't been great, except for The Gameshouse. But Harry August was good alternate history stuff

Fox god was the best scene, I concur.

Try Black Jewels Trilogy and cogweaver trilogy for magic.

I read all the books that was memed to me. Will update the chart soon with those that made the cut.

I was thinking about that, I don't really know many female authors I enjoy. I tried trudi canavan and she was kinda fucking terrible. And I think the last female author I enjoyed might have been J.K. with the Potter Books.

But couldn't it be just confirmation bias? If you see Hunger Games or Twilight you go "ugh, another terrible fucking female author, girls suck at writing" but when you see a Dan Brown you don't go "fuck men are terrible at this" you just go "ugh another terrible book by a terrible person"

I'm honestly amazed by the fact you can read so much garbage and not get bored of it.

How about writing one book before planning the rest? You never know how it might change during its making.

Actually now I'm here.

I quite enjoyed Chasm City. It reminded me oh Hyperion with a little more modernity and less magic. While sometimes the twists and turns didn't quite add up, and the whole excuse of Reynolds lack of imagination by using twentieth century tech being a) it's all shit!!! or b) fashion were lame. (Hope you followed my second point there).

What else is good in revelation space? I would like to read a little more if nothing else just to scratch my old Hyperion itch.

Nigga you need Diana Wynne Jones in your life. Start with Deep Secret, maybe Archer's Goon or Dark Lord of Derkholm.
>muh YA
Deep Secret isn't, and Jones was highly respected by many adult fantasy writers.

>Hyperion
>non-degenerate
>the soldier's story
The Golden Age is what you want. Look up Astounding and Planet Stories on archive.org and read what Heinlein wrote before but not including Stranger in a Strange Land.

Did you read that book? They did the freaky, just tell the guy to ask his redpilled friends.

Robin Hob does well enough with the Farseer trilogy, but her stuff is extremely hit or miss. Her Soldier Son series is fucking awful, and even in her good books, like Farseer, she often has problems writing male characters. Specifically, several times her male character break character completely and act like women. Plus everything in the Fitz and the Fool followups to Farseer just gets progressively gayer and gayer.

>might have been
He literally moved to Sri Lanka and got a shota harem. You shouldn't avoid his books because of his disgusting behavior, you should avoid them because they're disgustingly boring.

This. Don't fucking write a book in the hopes it turns into a fucking TV show or Movie. Write a screenplay then. What kind of backwards ass thinking is that? If you wanna write for the screen, write for the screen. If you want to write a book stop thinking about "But what if it get's adapted onto film or broadway or interpretive dance?" Just try to write the best god damn book you can.

>taking the bait

The read-by-the-author version was one of my favorite audiobooks. I hadn't particularly cared for the books when I read them in paperback.

I've always thought it's better to write the ending first. That way you don't get derailed too much in the process by whatever pops into your head - you have a start point which needs to reach your established end point, rather than just meandering.

Why do women keep writing male protagonists as cucks? Fitz didn't even get that sweet boypussi after his foster father fucked his waifu for years.

I always thought Fitz fit better with Ketricken, Molly was always kind of shallow.