Book of Disquiet

Is this book any good? I see it on Veeky Forums's top 100 every year but never tried to pick it up. Is it just a meme?

Have not read it, but his poetry is god-tier.

If it was written in the 21st century it would have been dismissed as edgy teen shit desu

Spanish masterrace, I can read a translation of Pessoa and 80% of words and syntatic structures are the same. Sometimes even rhymes are preserved!

Not so fast hermano, Portuguese master race here, I can literally just read the fucking book in it's original language.

It's an amazing book, I've never read a book that provokes such emotions in me.
Get a good translation and enjoy.

why dont you fucking try reading it?

it is worth it.

Why are there so many Brazilian drug dealers in Dublin but no Portuguese? They're all quite friendly too.

i feel like this guy would have made a great philosopher or a sublime poet but all he did was sit and contemplate what passed in front of him without letting it take shape or simply ignoring the shapes that came out by themselves.

he's got great lines, with incredible insights that few attain, but he's got other passages that are just painful to read and could have been written by my aunt... i think this guy remained in his misery even when he was no longer naturally in it... the greatness of an author is to accept what humanity gives him and let this be shaped, not by, but though him.

this guy was given something great, and he chose to shut it down and hide it under his bed. his mind gave him first class material, he chose to let it all rot in a dark corner of some stinky room.

yet another manifestation of the inferiority of southern european people.

Because Ireland is the easiest place in Europe for macacos to get a 'student' visa, where they can also work.

Even in Lisbon the only drug dealers I've encountered (not including the Indians/gypsies selling tea to tourists) are from Brazil.

t. Dubliner living in Portugal with a Brazilian gf.

no it's a longer version of notes from the underground

A very different character from the underground man, imo. Pessoa's outlook includes in it the underground man but the underground man's doesn't include Pessoa.

>yet another manifestation of the inferiority of southern european people

You were on to something, then you had to post this.

It's beautiful. Gets a little repetitive at the end but still one of my favorite books. Buy yourself a copy today

i know... i think something got into me after reading his book.

Literally the worst book I have ever read.

Or should I say collection of napkin scribblings, since the author never intended for them to be collected into book form, much less be read by anyone.

>If it was written in the 21st century it would have been dismissed as edgy teen shit desu

This guy gets it.

If Pessoa were alive today he'd be on /l/it calling everyone plebs.

Read Bukowski's Factotum instead.

>Calls a book bad
>recommends Bukowski

lmao disregard this guy's opinion

>>Calls a book bad
>>recommends Bukowski
>lmao disregard this guy's opinion

If I state that Pessoa's The Book Of Disquiet is "literally the worst book I have ever read", then it follows that any other book would be better, in my opinion, right?

Read Dr. Seuss, for all I care. At least he doesn't repeat himself constantly, like Pessoa.

ur opinion is shit mate stick to Bukowski and Stephen King

>ur opinion is shit mate

Pessoa was a poet. That's not poetry.

but Dr. Seuss's primary mode is repetition. clearly you have inadequate reading comprehension. it's no wonder you can't appreciate the pathos in Pessoa

Fantastic poet, this book is sadboy stuff though, not as good

It's interesting and has beautiful passages. I only read it once so I can't say anything with authority but I noticed a distinct lack of structure. Of course that actually helps to emphasize the directionless nature of his life but as a novel I don't know.

It isn't boring anyway

What would you recommend in ways of his poetry? Should I even bother if I have to read a translation?

>would have made a great poet
What, are you implying he WASN'T a great poet or something, user?

I think Book of Disquiet is far superior to his poetry.

I've only read him in translation though

I'm Portuguese and think so as well.

Not that his poetry is bad, it's fantastic, he's our best poet.

It's my favorite book. Attempts to be more deep&interesting aside, it's the book I've appreciated reading most. Pure expression. Pure articulation. I underlined something on almost every page. Loved it.