What books would Will Hunting read?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=azM6xSTT2I0
youtube.com/watch?v=XndjoAsBGr8
youtube.com/watch?v=nnESedN4vSI
youtube.com/watch?v=_sO3ZmgyIyE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probably a lot of Stephen King and Sam Harris

Why did the West invent the idea of the genius? To keep social order and quell revolutionary movements?

Shakespeare, Nietzche, Frost, O'Connor, Chaucer, Pope, Kant

Wow this made me think

He said his soul mates were Shakespeare, Nietzsche, Frost, O'Connor, Kant, Pope, Locke in the movie

youtube.com/watch?v=azM6xSTT2I0

Was he right about Wood?

Better version
youtube.com/watch?v=XndjoAsBGr8

i think capitalism invented it

>Wow how did I make all this money
>Did I work hard? lol nope
>Am I just stupidly lucky?
>No I must be amazing

My diary, desu

Well we know he read A People's History of the United States

The ones at his local library.

He does mention quite a few in the movie but they're both a bit outdated and the academic ones are not like central texts.

>implying he wasn't smart enough to live

Something about apples?

Definitely the idea of a select few that deserve to be educated predates capitalism, but the concept of genius did arise along with the etymologically related engine through the rise of industrial capitalism

Sequel when?

kek

many people were called "genius" long before industrial capitalism.

I've never watched this film but I always thought it was Goodwill Hunting as in they were searching for goodwill. Until now.

In one of the scenes you can see Gravitys Rainbow in his room, so memes

Uber pseud things (think Chomsky)

And engines existed too, but they both meant things substantially different to the common meaning now.

We wouldn't have public education at all if it weren't for the need for an educated workforce capable of operating complex machinery.

Mass conscription and mass employment are the main reasons why Johnny and Janey are seeing a doctor and being taught to read and write to be honest with you senpai.

>We wouldn't have public education at all if it weren't for the need for an educated workforce capable of operating complex machinery.

wrong my nig, massachussetts created mandatory public school so that child workers wouldn't compete with adults in the factories...they were the first in the colonies, then everyone else copied them...it just happened to work out that advanced industrial civilization needs more "scribe tier" labor than any hitherto and it all worked out, but lets be real, no one knew that when it started, it was just more wasteful government spending lobbied for by big labor to protect their jerbs

>We wouldn't have public education at all if it weren't for the need for an educated workforce capable of operating complex machinery.
No, it's the basic needs of moving beyond a buyer beware type economy. In order to have enforceable and useful contracts people need to be able to understand them, make them, and evaluate them. To do that you need reading, writing, and arithmetic.

t. Adam Smith

>1647
>The General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony decrees that every town of fifty families should have an elementary school and that every town of 100 families should have a Latin school. The goal is to ensure that Puritan children learn to read the Bible and receive basic information about their Calvinist religion.

oops it turns out education is god's will, nothing to do with capitalism, stay salty

only the wealthy are the ones making the contracts, and they have private education.

>good will hunting
>as in hunting for hollywoods acknowledgment
>the movie was literal Oscar bait

Infinite Jest.

Everyone makes contracts you idiot, with the possible exception of the wealthy because other people will do that shit for them. If you are employed or employ or buy or sell or anything like that then you enter into contracts.

Stupid capitalism making public schools

i hate those cheesy "boston irish" ethnic minstrel shows the jews in hollywood churn out...good will hunting is fake as shit, anyone who lived in mass knows the irish there are dumb as shit and no better than puerto ricans and blacks...all the people at the schools in massachussetts are descended from puritans, or post ww2 jews, not from the influx of catholic trash last century

Eh did you watch the film? Thats taken as a given

They run most of the government, universities, even the legal system has a ton of Irish in there.

yeah, i know, it's implied will is was put up for adoption by a protestant professor and forced to slum with low iq irishmen, but still, anything "boston" themed with ben affleck, matt damon, or marky mark is fucking insufferable.

>They run most of the government, universities, even the legal system has a ton of Irish in there.

bullshit, the only part of the legal system that has a ton of irish is the state prison system, as inmates, but of course in a corrupt catholic majority society ethnic machine politics will dominate the government.

>bullshit...but of course...
Come now.

well there's a big difference between being successful based on your own intellect and talent, and being successful due to whipping a up a mob of your countrymen to vote for you

Are we talking about Trump again? I forget.

Trump promised to fight rip-off trade deals so American workers can support their families again, not give out free turkeys and puffycoats in front of the local catholic community services, if you think Trump, the ultimate outsider, is an ethnic machine politician, well, you need to stop reading the ny times.

>Trump, the ultimate outsider

>shows pictures of the Clinton's sucking up to a random rich guy

all that pic shows is what a bunch of scum the Clintons are...Trump was attacked mercilessly by both the left and the right for the entire election...I don't think anyone has been this widely hated by the elites since FDR.

>Trump, the ultimate outsider
Yeah, he's not that. It's interesting you think of him like that, but then he wouldn't be someone to have a beer with.

>he's not that

so you think a guy that never held elected office in his entire life, and just went straight to the presidency, and has no other family members in political office or the military and was viciously attacked from both sides of the political ilse for his entire campaign isn't an outsider? gotta stop reading the cuckmedia bro, it's giving u a plebeian tier understanding of american power

This is the same guy who's been planning to run for president for like 2 decades, a schmoozed with the elites political or otherwise?

>and just went straight to the presidency, and has no other family members in political office or the military
Trump is so much like Obama.

>Trump is so much like Obama.

Obama's mother worked for the CIA and his white family goes back to the Puritans and his father was a ruling class elite in Kenya, and he worked in Chicago machine politics, and served as a senator for a decade, and had full support from the NY Times and other establishment mouthpieces...but yeah, he's "just like Trump".

Well you see, originally genius was not something that you were but something that possessed you, like a spirit. It was not egocentric like we view the concept today. People were grateful to their geniuses because they knew that they could leave them if not given their due, similar in concept to a Muse.

This.

The establishment is scared shitless of Trump because he's finally going to put white interests first and the globalist elites will have their plot to breeding out of whiteness destroyed

Also, notice how suddenly Putin is worse than Islamic terrorism? why? what did he do that's so bad? Blow up a office tower full of innocent people? no. he raised the birth rate in russia and grew the population without importing non-russians, and that cannot stand.

The Putin hate is crazy. The thing that I think did it was the whole sanctions not working, they expected that to totally fuck the Russian economy up like in the late 90s. But it's been resilient, so you have a toys out of pram moment like "Oh so economic warfare isn't working how about ACTUAL WARFARE???".

That was legit worrying, the late 90s they practically threw money at Russia because oh shit they have nukes and it switched to not being concerned this time around.

The Ukraine thing has always been an issue, it's more or less something they always said they were going to do since shit like Kosovo independence from way back. The only worrying development from that might be Alaska.

Applesauce, bitch.

youtube.com/watch?v=nnESedN4vSI

>capitalism can invent things

Leftists literally talk like fanatical religious people.

Shut up Capitalism

just like feminists say patriarchy

basically it's all satan

>the patriarchy made me study poetry instead of electrical engineering!

Just like Right Wingers say Feminists

just like Veeky Forums says frogposters

Holy fuck I hate this movie so fucking much.

That guy just IMMEDIATELY acting like a whipped cuck as soon as Will argues with him. I mean really, what's he supposed to say? Um, yeah, I base my opinions on a collection of academic writings on the subject. Where do you develop your opinion from? Fucking Affleck working as comic relief while harvard women are immediately wet over his utter incompetence and transparency.

Its fucking such an autistic power fantasy for nerds.

Well, if you actually have a brain, you read primary sources and make up your own mind.

Basing your own opinion on anyone else's is pretty inauthentic and manipulative, and I know this because I do it myself from time to time when I'm not paying attention.

That's ideal of course, but if you're reading a wide range of conflicting secondary sources whom cite their primary sources then you should be getting a fairly comprehensive amount of information.

After all, who the fuck has access to that many primary sources?

You expect that Will Hunting with his "library debt of 1.50" was able to go find this shit on his own?

The sentiment it expresses is reasonable-ish, but the deliver makes me fucking loath it.

>The sentiment it expresses is reasonable-ish, but the deliver makes me fucking loath it.

It does so for me as well, but the reason is that it is manipulative.

Nobody there is interested in reaching understanding, they are just peacocking intellectually, by stealing ideas from other people and using them to smash opponents.

It's intellectual masturbation, and very annoying.

amazing character and performance. obviously made damon and afleck famous.

Arguments about substance rarely go over well in movies, just because it's one person/mind writing it and directing the argument to the end he/she wants.

Same thing happens with on-line cartoons.

but user, he had no opinions on the concept. he was regurgitating academic text verbating which he memorized in order to impress others, and embarass chuckie.

please dont judge this movie off this one scene, granted it does appear unrealistic in numerous aspects. (the fact that he remembers what page and line the text comes from, for example)

>he was regurgitating academic text verbating which he memorized in order to impress others

Because the guy who wrote the script made him do it. That's the point.

>(the fact that he remembers what page and line the text comes from, for example)
No, it can and does happen that you cite a work enough that the full thing gets stuck in your head.

"Genius" as we know it is largely based on Schopenhauer and his era.

I'm not sure if I'd say it worked out.

Industrialized capitalism spans 17th/18th century all the way through to the early 20th.

You're right that it's a bit later than the absolute earliest points, it's related to the conditions that made engineers so important in the 19th C.

What a pseudointellectual thing to say. Nobody can read enough primary sources to have a deep and thorough understanding of more than a few historical topics and it's not at all unreasonable to trust the opinions of people who have invested the time into studying those sources when you can't afford to do it yourself.

>Nobody can read enough primary sources to have a deep and thorough understanding of more than a few historical topics and it's not at all unreasonable to trust the opinions of people who have invested the time into studying those sources when you can't afford to do it yourself.
It's not so much that, many things only have a very limited range of primary sources. It's the idea that you're, from first principles, going to deduce every possible interpretation of and reaction to those primary sources.

It's not your fault.

Yes it is, stop validating a egocentric man-child's fantasies.

"Whatever blows your head back"
/thread

TOP KEK line for line, I can even hear the accent.

What you're not understanding is that Will Hunting is a genius...

Here were are boys

youtube.com/watch?v=_sO3ZmgyIyE

sorry dude that shit too cringe not clicking

It's Hollywood m8 what do you expect?

If you read anything about literary life in Corneille's time, you'd see genius was absolutely inferior to political power, and it may as well have been declared to be.

Now that writers can do whatever they want, they feel agitated and begin a process of self-cannibalisation for lack of external enemies for their satire and sulking. Probably explains modern academia.

Okay I'll admit that sounds plausible and but so I'm still probably right.

New England was a historical anomaly, comparable only to Old England and this one town in Sweden in terms of literacy rates. New England had higher literacy rate than many African countries today.

Why do you think Germany and France cared so much about education and public health?

>neechee

since he was never taught in person, more than likely, the pronunciation might have just stuck with him.

I honestly cannot follow the level of brain damage in this comment.

Matt Damon's character also has a seemingly photographic memory. Doesn't seem out of line w/ the rest of the movie that he'd be able to cite page numbers if he had thought about a passage a lot.

Anybody else here a legitimate, verifiable, Good Will Hunting-esque genius?

On the one hand it's a blessing, but on the other it's an almost unbearable curse. All my life I've aced every test I've ever set. I've failed at practically nothing. Even in sports I excelled while other "academic" kids refused to even take part. I've just completed my BA in English Lit at the age of 19 and I'm about to start on my MA (fully-funded scholarship), but I don't know how long I can continue being a genius before I eventually burn out or break down. My professors all tell me that I stand out and that's it's obvious that I'm destined for great things. Heck, one of them has said outright that he wishes he had possessed my intelligence and work-rate when he was my age. Whether it's math or science or literature I just excel in everything I do without even considering that there was an option that I could not. Just last semester I solved a theorem that people had been working on for the past two decades (I won't say which one because my name is now indelibly linked with said theorem) and that was a for a class I wasn't even supposed to have attended. Psychiatrists have said that people in my very small demographic of highly intellectual individuals usually suffer from aspergers or some related disorder which deprives them of a healthy social life, but I have surprised each one in turn when I inform them that in fact I am an incredibly sociable and well-liked individual (despite also being a mysterious hermit-like recluse) and that every girl I have either dated or simply penetrated a bunch of times has described me as the kind of guy they could really see themselves with long-term.

Are there any novels about this sort of thing?

my diary desu

Be sure to donate an awful lot of your sperm / impregnate many women

All the best geniuses are infertile, that's why everyone seems so dumb.

Autism

Your writing skills are dog shit.

You're either lying or delusional.

I mispronounce shit all the time because I read it but it never discuss it or hear others talk about it