What is Veeky Forums's opinion on eReaders?

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on eReaders?

Other urls found in this thread:

aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/protecting-your-vision/computer-vision-syndrome?sso=y
stallman.org/articles/ebooks.pdf
defectivebydesign.org/
sites.google.com/site/themetalibrary/library-genesis
youtube.com/watch?v=LldUjtsJcdw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They don't stink and I hate them!

it varies from individual to individual

S'fine for them what like 'em, but less so for them that don't.

By far the best way to read. You can download books in large quantities either for free or for extremely low prices. They store easily and take up no space at all.

only positives. holding the physical words, though. for them to hold a place on a shelf and smells and feelings. better then all the books you read looking the same

The convenience is outstanding, yes.

But after reading an eBook, which I really like, I don't mind buying it physically too.

As homage, or really, to satisfy my ego.

>out of nowhere, feel like reading Dracula
>don't own a copy of Dracula
>get on my Kindle, and go download a free copy of Dracula
They're pretty awesome. They don't replace my physical books, though.

only pseuds dont like them

They literally make no sense, why would you pay money for a smartphone that's been stripped of every feature except for the ability to display text? Just read PDFs on the laptop or phone you already have, inb4 "muh eyestrain," there isn't anything wrong with normal computer screens

Good for what they are. I got one for free and use it to read short/not very difficult books. I'm still tricking myself into believing that physical books are better for longer more difficult reads but it's not like they cost a fortune and i like to annotate.

>there isn't anything wrong with normal computer screens
Yes there is.

No there isn't you spoiled baby.

Normal computer screens cause visual fatigue syndrome, resulting in aches and pains around the eyes, increased eye strain, bursting of blood vessels within the eye itself, and loss of focus.

aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/protecting-your-vision/computer-vision-syndrome?sso=y

Can also cause digital eye strain.

E-Ink readers are a great advancement in portable reading. I just bought a kindle on sale, not saying its a perfect device it has plenty of shortcomings from book files and managing that crap, to no buttons to flip pages, its tiny and fragile, but the bright side is that I'm poor and get to read so much and carry it around with me for a long time.

upvote

>visual fatigue syndrome
>digital eye strain

These pretend syndromes are really insulting to people who suffer from actual diseases.

and by the way if I may guess correctly, you are not a day older than the ripe age of 20

I am generally against them, with a few exceptions.

"In an age where business dominates our governments and writes our laws, every technological advance offers business an opportunity to impose new restrictions on the public. Technologies that could have empowered us are used to chain us instead."

"With printed books,

• You can buy one with cash, anonymously.
• Then you own it.
• You are not required to sign a license that restricts your use of it.
• The format is known, and no proprietary technology is needed to read the book.
• You have the right to give, lend or sell the book to another.
• You can, physically, copy the book, and it's sometimes lawful under copyright.
• Nobody has the power to remotely destroy your book."

stallman.org/articles/ebooks.pdf

Furthermore, real books will not run out of battery and will last for hundreds of years. No E-Reader will last that long, and neither will its contents.

Also related: defectivebydesign.org/

wrong

>current year
>people still don't understand the concept of e-ink displays

who wrote this crap?

Books are literally the last medium where you should worry about analog v.s digital for at least a few more decades. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that you don't sport a 35mm projector and 35mm movie collection at home, quite likely the same with vinyl records, and those two at least are data containers which preserve (as per the nature of their artistic mediums) complex performances of works of art and the unique ways in which they were produced (in every meaning of the word), and they can't be reproduced from memory at will and therefore preserved via the oral tradition like literature can and is.

>inb4 but I can't reproduce from memory the books that I've read

I use mine for books I "kind of" want to read, easy short books. Stuff I generally do not want to buy.

Just pirate the books like a smart person would

how about shut the fuck up stupid nigger

nigger fag you're a retarded nigger

ding ding where do you download yours

I don't have an e-reader yet but I plan on getting one this Christmas.

When I can't get a copy,I use an e-reader.
Otherwise physical.
Getting the lit memenovel would be hard,so I read it on my e-reader

Do you guys know where a good place to learn how to torrent books for ereaders? I have no idea when it comes to them but I just got a kindle oasis for free and I'd rather not pay for books if I can just torrent them.

If are sincere, you download them like any other torrent. Install Calibre for possible format changes (to .mobi or azw3 if you have a Kindle) since most ebooks come in epubs. Soulseek, piratebay (there's this guy who has tons of ebook collections) and gutenberg are perfect places to get free ebooks.

sweet, thanks. i've never used a kindle so i wasn't sure if their software had any sort of anti piracy protection

E-readers are very convenient and you can get books for free for them, often very obscure books that you would have difficulty finding if you didn't have libgen and the like.

But you retain less from them, which I don't like. Also, there's just something much nicer about having a physical book in your hands, as opposed to just reading words on a screen. Seeing all those books stacked up in front of me motivates me to read more, and it makes me look more patrician too (yes, I do care how patrician I look to others).

I use e-readers for books that I don't care too much about seriously reading, and for textbooks - because fuck paying a few hundred dollars for a textbook when I could just download it for free.

Get on myanonamouse or bibliotik
Former if you just want to download and don't care about contributing back with uploads
Latter for the literally exhaustive library and detailed tagging/discussion

There's nothing to understand, you got memed into buying shit you don't need based on an extremely subtle visual difference nobody would notice or care about if you weren't memed into believing it matters by the company selling you the shit you don't need.

29 until next week.

Great. I read a lot more ever since getting my kobo.

I think you haven't spent any serious time reading an e-ink display. After reading e-ink and then moving to a tablet afterwards, I feel like the tablet just rapes my eyes

If I don't notice a problem because I only use my laptop or phone to read and have never tried an e-reader then you're admitting the problem is caused by people getting tricked into buying e-readers in the first place.

All I can say is, it's like reading a physical book. If you don't notice any difference between reading off of a back-lit screen vs. reading paper, then maybe e-ink isn't for you.

Buddy, there are apps for ebooks where you can adjust, brightness, background and font color, etc. So you can read without eye strain. This is coming from a guy who owns and enjoys an ereader (it was a gift)

It still can't be quite as good as e-ink, but good to know there are options. I never read on tablet because I've had no need to.

Having said that, tablets are far superior for reading pdfs, as you know. I've been wondering if a 10" tablet is comfortable for pdfs? I know 7" is way too small because I tried it on a friends.

>read on a tiny 3.5inch flash player display all throughout highschool
Get all my fucking level, muh eyestrainfags

Easily one of the top 5 inventions of the century

Monotask devices are great, there's no distractions

Okay it's Black Friday. I've always preferred physical books but the prices are forcing me to go the eReader route.
Can I get some suggestions? Preferably something where pirating is easy. I have no clue how the kindles work so it might have some protection against piracy, I don't know.

SO yeah, any suggestions? Tablets vs eInk? Etc..?

Kobo is better for pirating imo. I use a Kobo Glo and put epubs straight on it through Calibre. Never had any issues with it.

Even though I own a Kindle Paperwhite myself, I think Kobo's are indeed better if you don't want to bother with changing the format of your ebooks. They often come in epubs, which Kobo's read, but Kindle's dont. (not that using Calibre is a hassle)

>I have no clue how the kindles work so it might have some protection against piracy, I don't know.
Oh and this isn't true at all. DRM-protection is applied to some ebooks, but if you are choosing to go the Kindle route, the only thing you have to do is to convert it in Calibre to azw3 or mobi.

Bait.

Good. They are weak, and deserve to be insulted.

>But you retain less from them
no i dont

like that guy said get calibre its the best

sites.google.com/site/themetalibrary/library-genesis

"Kindle Ebooks" aint working

Buddy, those don't do shit.

Also coming from a guy who got an ereader as a gift.

brightness and background/colour isn't why it causes eyestrain buddy.. ever heard of different screentypes? LED.. AMOLED..etc?..

I use a Kindle Voyage and it's awesome. You can get so many awesome free ebooks and pdf - without even needing to pirate.

I still prefer physical copies, but I only buy physical copies of books I intend to add to my collection permanently.

8 inch eink and i'm not going back. Needs some white space cropping and then it's superior in all aspects besides colour to ipad. Fonts are clear and natural, and I can read it without problems for ages as opposed to any glare screen.

One thing though needs to be said about einks. If you're reading with built in back light, you're getting nothing out of it. And I know plenty of people that do that. That way, eink, is the same as any other tablet. Turn off the backight and read as you'd read a book.

Shitty photo-q but you can see the clear fonts that you can only get on highres eink.

Maybe you should read for the meaning of the words rather than for their appearance.

Not being a conouser of fonts? I pity that notion.

I'm kind of interested in an e-reader. Ten bucks (or more) for a book can be a bit much in the long run.
Not sure what they come with, though. I just want one that has the books. No extra apps and all that stupid stuff.
Fuck paying $100+ for one, though.

>I'm kind of interested in an e-reader. Ten bucks (or more) for a book can be a bit much in the long run.

Why does everyone keep on acting like the only two options are books and e-readers? You can just read PDFs you download for free on your laptop or phone, that's obviously the right answer.

Just get a cheap one. It's the screen that matters, and they all got them from the same company anyway. Cheapest eink is as good as the most expensive kindle glare wise. It's battery life will be weakly even if you use it every day thanks to it's low electricity usage. Contrast isn't as important as some people think. Resolution isn't supper important, we're not on screen pixles, so even at lowest fonts will look more natural than on lcd screens. Backlight may be useful in certain instances, but you'll mostly be reading without, so you may go without it. And formats are fine for all. All the pirated books are in unprotected format you can easily go from epub to kindle format or whatever with a converter program. Only thing that is to note is that pdf's tend to be too much. They are hard to convert, and fonts are often too small to offer enjoyable read. Fiction is almost always available in epub or similar non-fixed format, so that's not a problem, but nonfiction and textbooks are mostly only avalable in pdf, and they tend to be a problem on 4 inchers.

FRESH QUESTION COMING THROUGH: YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE HOW THIS ONE SINGLE POSTER COMPLETELY RESCUED THE OTHERWISE FULLY REDUNDANT, REPEATING-FOR-THE-1000TH-TIME THREAD

Is the browser on Kindle Paperwhite any usable for browsing Veeky Forums? And how does the screen bear with it? Would you say that using it as a main device to lurk Veeky Forums would be a pleasurable experience? Is it possible at all to make posts?

Veeky Forums fucking sucks now, wow.
>conouser
pls tell me this is a meme

I plan on downgrading my smart phone anyway. And I have a retarded setup with my laptop at the moment.

Damn, user. Thanks for the info.

I just use my phone to read pdfs. Lots of free or cheap sources out there.

>Ten bucks (or more) for a book can be a bit much in the long run.
>Fuck paying $100+ for one, though.
It pays for itself in 10 books.

kobo/epub masterrace

what device is this from?

oy vey yes spend some shekels and buy them for you and all your family

why can't you just prefer what you prefer and not make up fake shit

>who wrote this crap?

pocketbook 840 with ebGaramond. It's a bit outdated already, you may look at illumina xl or inkbook 8. They're around the price of Kindle Voyage.

youtube.com/watch?v=LldUjtsJcdw

Most e-readers actually have what they call a "front light". I think it's still better than a back light.

Maybe better, but from my experience it's not by much. Their lights are led's at the sides, same thing that pda's used to have to lighten up their low brightness lcd screens.

Is it possible to write in notes in these ereaders?

Yes. You can also highlight parts of the text. (kindle here)