'No, I can't really do much with Nietzsche,' Leni Riefenstahl recalls Hitler telling her...

>'No, I can't really do much with Nietzsche,' Leni Riefenstahl recalls Hitler telling her. 'He is more an artist than a philosopher; he doesn't have the crystal-clear understanding of Schopenhauer. Of course. I value Nietzsche as a genius. He writes possibly the most beautiful language that German literature has to offer us today. But he is not my guide.'

Is Schopenhauer responsible for WWII and the Holocaust?

yes. jail him immediately.

maybe he inspired the big H's love for animals

The difference between individualists like Nietzsche, Stirner, others, and people/philosophers/thinkers who are concerned with the relative practicalities of the historical project of """collective""" civilization/community/politics.

Everyones dumb, leave me alone and let me live in peace vs. I seek a powerful position in society because I can help steer it into a better direction. Perhaps Nietzsche thought he or his ideas could do that, but his ideas certainly werent as 'unifying' as, lets say, someone like Hitler.

>he doesn't have the crystal-clear understanding of Schopenhauer
What a typical politician's understanding.

Schopenhauer philosophy is akin to the fatalism of Norse Mythology. All white supremacists think exactly alike, gloom death nihilism and fantasies of reclaiming masculinity strength and pride.

Nietzsche exposes this as the expression of impotence.

That is a terrible misreading of Carlyle. You can't apply that kind of critique to random threads between him and Nietzsche as thought that even gleaned the barest surface of what he was.

Insofar as Carlyle had a great man hypothesis it was embedded in the phenomenon of the aristocracy, a multi-century real endeavor that has nothing to do with Nietzsche's ideas about the Overman.

I don't even see the point of pulling random almost congruent elements like this, it just invalidates the entire approach

Nietzsche disavows anti-semetism and basically says you're a fucking nothing trash if you're an antisemite so Bitchler copped a mad feel about this.

But doesn't he also criticize Christianity, which is the polar opposite of that?

ppls always whine about nietzsche as a woman hater, but i never read his shit about power in a gendered way, anybody can go in if they have the will

>not if the will has them

the content of his critique differs in each case

>even bogbillies like hitler looked down on nietzsche

>He is more an artist than a philosopher
>When your insult actually turns out to be a compliment

>Tfw my university lecturer is among the many retards who hold Nietzsche partly responsible for WW2, attributing "Strong Man Theory"/etc to him without understanding (or caring to consider) the many nuances/disclaimers Nietzsche applies to such things

I agree with Hitler on this, Schopnehauer is superior to Nietzsche but I enjoy both.

I find I agree with Hitler on a lot of subjects these days which is starting to worry me...

What is the origin of that citation OP?

Almost no one knows this, but A. Hitler was intensely fond of Schopenhauer.
On the combat field, he would carry Schopenhauer's Lebensweisheit. Hitler's associates recalls he could cite it without flaw. And that the book was worn from usage. So there he was on the battlefield, reading Schopenhauer.

The astute observer will note a lot of similarities, though it can be different to discern at first, between the two modes of thinking: the primacy of the will, the inherent bareness and ruthless of life, the call for toughness and soberness. At any rate, I encourage everyone to read Schopenhauer. As far as Hitler's character and disposition, the best book on the man is by John Toland. Also recommended.

I think hitler, and this is just a wild gas in the smark, had 'problems with authority'... you know, the whole 'daddy beat precious my mom into lecasket'. As a schopenhauerfan, as it now seems, adolf would've not 'dis a gree' d', vanderstockt kris waise.

>tfw you find out nietzsche started ww2 through his career as a strongman

DEEPEST
E
E
P
E
S
T

LORE
O
R
E

>Hitler claimed Schopenhauer was his guide
>Hitler got BTFO by the USSR
>USSR were commies inspired by Marx who was inspired by Hegel

>mfw Hegel continued to cuck Schopenhauer in world events long after their deaths

This all seems true. Have any of you guys read Mein Kampf in the German? Is it any good?

I understand that Hitler was reviled by lots of smart people, but was he widely considered by cultural elites a borderline illiterate low-brow idiot in the way that Trump is?

No.
That's normal. That was his appeal.

Many of the old conservative vanguard thought he was crass and fanatical. Some who met him said he was frothing at the mouth so much that it wasn't even a conversation.

But a lot of people who met him also said he was some kind of saintly genius figure and that being in his presence was awe-inspiring or something.

Mein Kampf isn't great either way.

Schopenhauer would never be a fan of Hitler, heck he would even hate him just as much as he did hate Hegel.

Look up what Schopenhauers' views are about nationalism and the state.

It's not because a retard like Hitler read Schopenhauer and tries to recuperate its ideas in an amateur way by cherry picking stuff, that Schopenhauers' ideas correspond with Hitler's; lol you guys are such plebs.

was he articulate? could he write?

I'm guessing the author is a liberal. Hence the need to distance Nietzsche from Carlyle.

KEK
Screencapped

Hitler didn't cherry pick, since he never claimed he follows Schopis teachings.

Your infantile rage against this man clouds your judgment.

I'm not that guy but I've read it

The entire book was dictated so it comes off as rambling but I'm sure it would have been so if he had written himself. He bounces around from topic to topic often and it is a hard read until you can adapt to his style.

Also Deutsch translates poorly to English so that doesn't help.

>he doesn't cherry pick philosopher's ideas to add to his own personal philosophy while dropping what you don't find worthy

You're the pleb here

>'daddy beat precious my mom into lecasket'
This made me laugh.

I must be a weird one. My father was a terrible husband that ruined my mother's life and left the family, and I hate him for it, but as a result I am a huge proponent of authoritarianism because I see the lack of a proper authoritative force as being what allowed his bad behavior to persist and his own ego healing process to never happen.

>cherry picking stuff

Do you hold every one of your favorite philosophers' social and political views? Every time some unsavory figure, usually a fascist, is known to have admired a certain philosopher or artist, he's accused of cherry picking or misunderstanding their work because his views aren't a carbon copy of their own, but no one would ever accuse a liberal who is a fan of Knut Hamsun (a literal Nazi) or Dostoevsky (a Tsarist reactionary and religious fanatic) of "cherry picking".

>All the retards responding to your post instead of reading pic related

Hegel was also victim to the "blamed for nazism" phenomenon. Russel/Popper being the main accusers.

You idiots are aware that regarding politics Schoppy was a reactionary monarchist and he didn't care much about politics that much at all. Nationalism was a progressive force back then and a thing Hegel theorized as good.

Schopenhauer is my favorite philospher but here he is just plain wrong.

It is clear he never faced a nation in decline where the morals are attacked and the foundation ripped apart by factions.

Also Hitler would not have 'defended tooth and nail' the vices of his nation but instead sought to improve the government to a position where it would be seen as worthy of defense by all good men.

Both men, as all people are, were products of their environment. Hitler felt the need for a strong national backbone because he saw what happened to a country without one. Schopnehauer lived easily before the German decline and turned a blind eye to the values that allowed him to sit on his ass and ponder things.

As to your comment about the 'retards' responding to that post above, they never tried to deny the claim of Schopnehauer's anti-nationalism. They merely defended the notion of 'cherry picking' which is what every philosopher has done throughout eternity. Your whole speil reeks of anger and samefaggery.

There are sections in beyond good and evil dedicated to how awful and shallow and inferior women are, straight up "on women" style.

Morals are not tied to nations.

You clearly misunderstood what you were reading.

Every nation that has had a set of laws has imposed morals on the people

Have you seen any of his speeches?

>could he write?
enough to at least a 700 page world war starting book

And then he went on to say le super dude can do whatever he wants, like be confined to his bedroom his entire life and become a vegetable.

Hes right in the falseness of ("blindly") celebrating and defending falsenesses about ones country, but wrong in not seeing the reason and value for celebrating and defending the good and true reasons and values for loving and admiring ones country.

>plain wrong
How? I read your post, none of it applies to what's in the pic

Schopenhauer lived through the death of the HRE at the hands of Napoleon. He was at the EXTREME end of German decline.

>a Tsarist reactionary and religious fanatic
>bad

I made the point in my post that Schopenhauer did not have a full understanding of national pride due to his circumstances so his point was dismissed.

I think it was actually a peak.

I disagree about that being the lowest point. The state of Germania got much worse in the years of Hitler.

*years of Hitler's homelessness and soldierhood where he developed his political opinions.

Well Hegel, I think you have a point, but not one Schopenhauer could have seen

The speed at which Schopenhauer spin in his grave reduced his bones to sawdust.

morals are not tied to nations

>those replies
Upset a lot of idiots lmao