Lets say you had to give someone books that will best teach them to be as close a math/physics whiz as possible...

Lets say you had to give someone books that will best teach them to be as close a math/physics whiz as possible, what books would you choose and in what order?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm
ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicphys.htm
topology.org/human/?a=/tex/conc/differential_geometry_books.html
web.archive.org/web/20150423201942/http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/r1ge1p236k3ysv
staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_and_Grichka_Bogdanoff#Publications
amazon.com/Algebra-Trigonometry-2nd-Judith-Beecher/dp/0321159357
math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html
people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Start with the fundamentals and move on from there.

>no basic mathematics
>no how to study as a mathematics major

>C++

laughingirls.jpg

Just copy paste the physics curriculum for a top university and read that. Pretty much all of it can be self taught except for the practical stuff. I personally don't attend lectures or lessons except for the first one each year (it's obligatory) and get mostly As.

I would advise going to lectures by good faculty members. They usually impart wisdom not in any books, if the course is at all advanced.

Do I go from left to right, top to bottom?

no
just read the wiki
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Veeky Forums_Wiki

This is fucking terrible but I keep seeing it posted. Is it just one retard, or is it many retards?

I have a list from some other threads like this, it's pretty fucking long.

also
ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm
ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicphys.htm
topology.org/human/?a=/tex/conc/differential_geometry_books.html
web.archive.org/web/20150423201942/http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/r1ge1p236k3ysv
staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html

also you can google "good book for learning *insert subject area*" and see what math/physics stack exchange or overflow has to say

If I want to just self study all day, how do I get the money to do so?

they'll tell you how invest your money """wisely"""

Read this after reading Grothendieck's work. It will blow your mind.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_and_Grichka_Bogdanoff#Publications

Since you aren't being very specific, I'll assume this person is at an A+ level of mastery in precalculus 12, and instruct them from there.

1) How to Solve It

2) Art of Problem Solving Precalculus

3) Stewart's Calculus

4) Lay's Linear Algebra

5) Grimaldi

6) Baby Rudin

7) Introduction to Linear Optimization by Dimitris Bertsimas and John N. Tsitsiklis

8) Hamming's book on Numerical Analysis

9) Differential Equations With Applications and Historical Notes by George Simmons

10) Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra

11) Rosen's Elementary Number Theory

12) Sipser's TOC

13) Graph Theory by Murty and Bondy

I think once they've done all those they have a pretty strong base in a lot of major areas of mathematics. From there they can do what every undergraduate does after 3rd year and pick and choose what areas they want to learn more about.

What are your thoughts on being an autodidactic scientist or engineer?

It's possible, but mostly a thing of the past. Guys like Muntz and Ramanujan aren't as common these days because even though there are more people leading to more outliers, there is also way more information to take in.

What about engineering specifically? I know that an employer wouldn't take a self taught engineer seriously but Kia Silverbrook is pretty much an autodidact (dropped uni at 16) and a very successful engineer.

Sure it's possible. Good for Kia. Most people probably need around 4 years of schooling or more to be a solid engineer.

>the Black Widow II will never see service

An autodidactic would always gone further had they been taught formally. Reinventing the wheel is just a waste of time and imo nothing special since it's been done before.

How is it reinventing the wheel? You just learn exactly what you would learn in a normal class except you use textbooks/online lectures/other resources instead of actually going to college.

We're not talking about people who never even went to primary school and have to learn the basics of addition and subtraction at age 25

phd's in both degrees

so whatever books mit/princeton/harvard/berkeley require for their required courses for said degrees

The important part is learning how to create the wheel, the knowledge

It's about improving your know how

It's good to reinvent stuff by yourself

Is this good?

>no "How To Solve It"

into the trash

>no Basic Mathematics

lol look at this fucking retard

why are you looking at one single person as if that's what almost anyone else does? Going to college and reading some extra textbooks on your own is by far the best thing you can do. doing the 100% autodidact thing is really unnecessary in 2017 and will probably hurt you more than anything.

just read the wiki and look around to see what you're intrested in

are you saying i should learn french just so i can read all those other books?

can yall motherfuckers recommend some meta-books? like if a neet with no responsibilities or vices (games and shit), but plenty drive, wanted to be an autodidact? i've already gotten a 2 year degree because it was free. accepted to 4 year but too expensive.

Are there any serious proof-based statistics text-books with applications in R? Like Casella's "Statistical inference", but with R.

What's wrong with How to solve it?

What's wrong with your reading comprehension?

Shh, it's retarded

this list is garbage, lmao.

if you actually read all of this, you'd be more intelligent than 99% of the human population.

Why would you use basic mathematics over simmons pre-calculus? that's stupid. same with stewarts calculus over apostol

No specific books, but you'll want to learn up to ordinary/partial differential equations, linear algebra, and vector/tensor/multivariable calculus before moving on to the complicated physics.
Getting started with physics will require some knowledge of each of these (but you can pick it up as you go along, and most books will teach you), and you will have to learn electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics at the same time.
Electrodynamics, quantum mechanics and thermodynamics are all fundamental to physics, but one is not more fundamental to another, so expect some confusion at first while you're tying concepts together.
You will pick up concepts in statistical mechanics, relativity, functional analysis, laser physics, nuclear/atomic physics, particle physics, etc... and eventually come to quantum field theory, which should neatly wrap up everything you've learned, and everything should click into place.

how many times do we need to tell you to stop pushing this awful list you hopeless imbecile

yes, it's a great list, but it takes years so please talk to someone if you're going to seriously follow it

>With the apocrypha
Papists get OUT

you legally can't be an engineer without having a college degree.

Here's my express-route-to-Calculus for brainlets:

First you read this:
amazon.com/Algebra-Trigonometry-2nd-Judith-Beecher/dp/0321159357
>Any edition is fine
>Read cover to cover
>Do all odd-numbered exercises and check answers
>Take notes on theorems and proofs

Then you read this:
math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html
>Print version also available
>Same as above: take notes and do all odd-numbered exercises
>Make sure you understand all proofs and theorems

Then you read this:
people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/
>Print copy also available for sale

And now you are on the precipice of no longer being a brainlet. From here you can read Spivak or Apostol's calculus, or tackle a Linear Algebra text -- I reccomend Kunze and Hoffman's Linear Algebra. Try to buy international editions wherever possible.

Brainlet here. What's wrong with this list, the individual texts?

and why would you want to be an engineer?

opportunities for self employment with the least amount of capital input and highest chance of success.

>opportunities for self employment with the least amount of capital input and highest chance of success.
Lol what the fuck are you smoking? You work in an office and go to meetings and write documentation for 75k.

What subject is the final frontier in math? Where does the math monk's journey end?

>You work in an office and go to meetings and write documentation for 75k.

>he thinks you need to work for someone elses company to do this

i already make 30k$ just doing contract CAD work from home. once i get my stamp i'll be doing it full time.

Whole thread is full of brainlets.

READ the fucking sticky.

Saged.

rational trigonometry

>sola scriptura
>but fuck the books we don't like

They're not the hardest books you can get for each subject.

start by learning the basics

wewlad

They're representative of the textbooks that you would encounter if you were in an average state school for a generic first/second year science program. They're not the "good" books. They're the butt steak to the sirloin that is Spivak, etc.

Also, someone stuck the Bible and a C++ tome in there for some reason.

>amazon.com/Algebra-Trigonometry-2nd-Judith-Beecher/dp/0321159357
This wasn't my highschool math for some reason....

you forgot babby's first number theory textbook

Artin - Basic Mathematics
Hardy, Wright - Introduction to Number Theory
Rudin - Principles of Mathematical Analysis
Dieudonné - Calcul Infinitésimal
Gamelin & Greene - Introduction to Topology
Artin - Algebra
Farenick - Algebras of Linear Transformations
Polya, Szego - Problems and Theorems in Analysis
Atiyah, Macdonald - Introduction to Commutative Algebra
Schechter - Principles of Functional Analysis

>C++ tome

That's not "The C++ Programming Language".

>Bible

Needed to trigger and repel the godless commies hijacking academia.

artin has never written a text called basic mathematics...

anything he has ever done is basic mathematics

brainlet

He probably meant Lang

Artie Lange...

Is Divine Proportions a meme?

The distance learning course I'm looking at has this as its essential mathematics module. I have some existing (but fragmented and rusty) knowledge of everything in units 1-5.

* Roughly what level does this go up to in terms of traditional education tiers and/or the books suggested ITT?
* (related) If I wanted to self-learn more advanced maths after this, where would I start?

>Roughly what level does this go up to in terms of traditional education tiers
calc 2

It is in the sense it is nothing special. However if you are really interested in elementary geometry/trigonometry and would like to see it approached without transcendental functions, then it is ok.

Thanks user

Just bought the red one

Wish me luck

>with geometric aid
top kek

>random signals and noise
>naive lie theory
>local fields

Lots of rock hard cocks

shit yeah, i meant lang

10/10

also, r8 my book/hand/handbook

No books, learn from lecture notes.

this library is really pretty, do you have a link where I can download?