Who here has worked as a bookseller?

Who here has worked as a bookseller?

Anyone specifically worked for Waterstones? Did you like it? Did it help you live the Veeky Forums lifestyle?

What can I expect when I start tomorrow aside from the pre-Christmas rush?

tha fuck is a waterstones? some british shit? oh btw barnes and noble got 30% today

Yeah mate. Basically a Brittish version of B&N.

Where abouts are you m8?

Glasgow - Literary patricians on every street corner.

I did work experience in a Waterstones when I was in school. Was tedious but okay because they just gave me trolleys full of fiction books and asked me to shelve them.

I guess these days you'll be selling loads of christmas cards and shitty knick-knacks. Hope you at least get some decent conversation. I've had brief chats with staff before that have been not so plebian.

Argyle or Sauckie mate?

Haha...I'm not sure I want to say over Veeky Forums.....

Saukie

You in there a lot? Work there at all?

Buy books in there quite a lot aye, not a bad shop to be fair.
If one of your colleagues mentions a guy that steals copies of infinite jest that's me btw

yeah. Looking forward to seeing how the renovations go as well. They will be selling alcohol and installing a cinema screen on one of the floors.

Since you got quads, I'll turn a blind eye to the theft. I was getting an induction the other day and the manager mentioned that an abnormal number of Jack Kerouac books keep going missing...know anything about that?

I got turned down for a job at Waterstones
Fucking end me

Chapters Indigo is the Canuck equivalent to B&N or Waterstones. I was invited to their job hiring event which was a group hiring stuff. Being an aspie having to talk to strangers who I was competing against solely so I could provide for myself was terrifying. "Team building exercises" etc. Instead of being knowledgeable about various genres or types didn't matter as long as you can suggest a book to someone coupled with a piece of home decor or toy.

In my life (more a time frame over a decade ago) I applied to over ten bookstores and got turned down for all of them, despite having a literature degree.

I think bookstores look for a certain type of employee that they think will push merchandise. They're not looking for anyone who actually knows a thing about literature or even likes reading, for that matter.

I gave that shit up and went to law school instead. Now I make well over double what everyone who turned me down makes, so it feels good. (Especially Borders, what closed down.)

Yeah, they have already stressed the importance of being able to recommend a book.

I'm pretty much okay with that though. We'll soon find out.

Hah, I go to the one at Argyle every day I'm at uni, if someone comes in and shits all over the counter that'll be me.

I worked a Christmas at Waterstones. It was okay. Just ringing up and putting shit on shelves that happened to be books. Nothing literary about it.

Waterstones always seems to have qts at their tills.

>few years back in a Waterstones in London
>20% price label on really niche and expensive textbook
>qt on till applies 20% on the 20%
>that's a 125 pound book for a fiver
Sometimes I just love that I look so good.

I used to own a used bookstore, and I swear like 9/10 people I interviewed for jobs had the expectation that most of their time would be spent reading and talking to customers about books. In reality, there's nothing much Veeky Forums about it. You get to see some cool books (less cool if you're working at a Waterstones), and have a chat about a book every once in a while, but that's about it.

I worked for a year at a Chapters in Canada. In terms of customer service work, it was one of the best jobs I had. Better than other merch pushing work and the discount was great. There were good people there at the time.

But the shit that Veeky Forums hates is what sells the best, right? And lots of non-book merch. But mostly the customers were happy to be there and liked to talk about their favourite books. I once chatted over the till for half an hour about Pynchon with a customer purchasing TCoL49. Good times.

But that was almost 15 years ago... I expect that the corporate demands have suffocated the enjoyable parts about working there by now.

>But that was almost 15 years ago...

damn nigga u old as shit

And?

Lovely, me says