Why is his dialogue SO DAMN GOOD, Veeky Forums?

Why is his dialogue SO DAMN GOOD, Veeky Forums?

i guess he talked a lot

dialogue is pretty easy to write. as well as good passages.

the hard part is writing the boring passages well, those that fit everything together

>dialogue is pretty easy to write

Totally disagree, its the easiest way to seperate mediocre from good writers

i must be good then

>couldn't be more wrong

While I dont agree with you 100% this:

>the hard part is writing the boring passages well, those that fit everything together

makes a lot of sense from my experience

everybody has a good idea about what a cool table would look like
but few can construct it well

everybody has a good idea for a business
but few can execute a viable plan

everybody has good idea for interesting dialogue and good passages
but few can write the framework to put them into the book in a natural way

this is what separates the big boys from pretenders

post just one dialogue of your own creation, please, i beg you

Comes from experience. If you're antisocial it stands to reason that, unless you spend a lot of time listening to/analysing how people speak, you probably won't have a good grasp of dialogue.

I call bullshit on this. I think it actually requires a certain conscious ability to detach yourself and reflect to realize how people actually speak.

good? his dialogues are fucking lifeless, his writing is a disgrace to everything literary
enjoy your "classics" fucking americans

this is correct:
you seem too antsy

I have no obcenity clue

I agree. Dialogue is just people talking. It's not hard to write how people talk.

>doesn't understand that the lifelessness of his prose is what gives it life

Hon hon hon... I wundère oo coùld be béhïnd zis poste...

He was elitist and had elitist friends like Pound, etc. that provided him with very-elitist conversations. Used to it, his dialogues are all elitist, from old men in the sea to civil war. Culturally, elitism means good, since culture is elitist.

Agreed. Stimulating conversations are easy. Wouldn't be democracy if all didn't have them 24/7.

How could Hemingway's childishly simple way of writing be elitist?

I agree. Stream of conciousness is just someone thinking. It's not hard to write how people think.

I'm an autist, but I feel I have a good grasp of dialogue just from all the talk radio I've listened to.

this desu fuck hemingway

First, it's simple, not childish.
But the simplicity is a self-conscious, unconscious negation of elitist eloquiscity (in the nordic sense).

>"Waking up to a loud crash rarely means something good is happening. It’s never 'CRASH! Mom made pancakes!' or 'CRASH! We decided to adopt a Golden Retriever!'" exclaimed, David, wistfully.

>"Only one enemy remained; two if you counted God." said Adam, excitedly.

Because it is.

It is childish, throwing out the window one of the most important part if literature (wordcraft, eloquent prose) is a joke, he is only famous because every retard can easily read and understand him.

You've beat me in my own game, I feel angered by your post's stupidity, intentional or no.

Not that user, but I'd be curious about feedback on my dialogue. I'd say it's most inspired by Catch-22.

>

Holy...I want more...

Apologies for the tl;dr

Are you trying to say stream of consciousness is hard? Because it's not.

Apologies for the empty post

Literally just write and keep writing, avoid punctuation but if it must be who cares, as if Santa gonna do something about it, don't mind if it keeps getting stranger and stranger, thought is thought no matter how absurd it gets and even if you may be a retard it's still consciousness, in a stream, hence the phrase stream of consciousness, since its supposed to emulate the flux or stream produced by verbalised thought that we call consciousness, and therefore

Man your writing really bugs me. Your prose is good but you're not saying anything. What the fuck are you trying to say? Yeah they're in a bar but who gives a shit. I'm so aggravated by this writing. Maybe that's a compliment.

The prose is decent, albeit its flow is lacking in some areas. The dialogue is fine, but not that interesting really, it indeed feels rather empty. Your transition from mere description to dialogue is very well though, do keep writing and revising your work. (oh and watch the punctuation)

and that's how I write

yes, and it'll end up being complete dogshit unable to be read by any sane person

Hah, I'll take it as one, thanks user. This is the second chapter of about a seven page project of absurd pointlessness, sort of triggered by my feeling that I no longer live in one point but a kaeldoscope of different cities and places squashed into one. The theme is basically the feeling of never moving, because things have become so abstracted there's no point of comparison to measure any kind of distance. Really, the piece is absolutely not publishable, but I've become really fond of Piro and I'll use him again. I'm a very young writer though, perhaps that's the most telling thing.

Probably the only one who has read Hemingway in this thread desu, underrated

>Beckett can't be read by any sane person
>Stein can't be read by any sane person
>Bernhard can't be read by any sane person
the list goes on user

How do I deal with this emptiness? For a long time I thought prose was everything and I'm now beginning to understand how crucial plot is. What are some good exercises? What are some good writers for it? I only want to improve but I feel more and more I've just become adept at describing air.

You only add punctuation if you want someone else to read it. It's completely legible once you add punctuation. Even if you don't add punctuation it's still usually legible.
You sound like someone who hasn't read a lot.

Damn, Hemingway looked good.

Total hunk

Fucking damn.

>tfw you will never machine gun U-boats off the Cuban coast with Papa
Why even live?

Interesting as fuck.

You really like it? Why?

I'm very grateful.

Is there any way of reaching you?

Hemingway's only good works are The Sun Also Rises, The Old Man And The Sea, and his short stories.

Everything else has turned into a period piece.

This isn't just related to Hemingway, but does anybody else find WWI and II trench warfare prose really fucking dull and boring to read?

This is fucking horrible. Right from the first sentence it's like an eighth grade writing shop. I don't believe a fucking word.

>trench warfare
>boring and dull
Hmmm...

Of course. Here's a throwaway email:
[email protected]

I love Hemmmmmingway but honestly I think his dialogue isn't good sometimes. He doesn't use contractions when people would actually use contractions sometimes. It's too sparse to the point of being unnatural sometimes and everybody speaks with perfect conviction and purpose.

H O L Y
O: : : : L
L : : : :O
Y L O H

You are a fool.

"My therapist doesn’t believe my drinking comes from my time as a fisherman. He doesn’t see how late night bars could remind anyone of a lighthouse. He calls me I’m crazy when I say I had affair with one. But it’s true. The man just lacks imagination."