I don't really look up to anybody, I guess I have some favorite people that I like a lot. But I don't emulate anybody...

>I don't really look up to anybody, I guess I have some favorite people that I like a lot. But I don't emulate anybody, I'm not that fascinated by human achievements. At one point in my life I was more inspired by people but as I've grown humans stopped being my source of inspiration. It's all internal.

Was he right?

Do you agree with him or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7kWdpEnJfxI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do I agree with his statement that he doesn't look up to anyone, has favourite people, doesn't emulate anybody, isn't fascinated by human achievements etc? I suppose. I don't have any reason to say he's lying about his own internal state.

No, I think it's stupid to have such an outlook on life.

Okay. Great thread.

I don't have an opinion on that, but OP was asking if we agreed with DFW that it was DFW's opinion. Obviously you do.

Death Grips, SPECIFICALLY MC Ride, said the same thing.

is he a dfw fan?

wtf i love death grips now

glad someone else watched the interview in cold room overlooking some industrial, grid-layout town

This disinterest in other people explains why all his characters are wooden dolls that sound just like him.

Why would anyone really care about other people? We're existentially alone on the planet. I can't know what you're thinking and feeling and you can't know what I'm thinking and feeling.

>disinterest

>I have some favorite people that I like a lot. But I don't emulate anybody, I'm not that fascinated by human achievements.

I don't buy anyone who writes a novel can believe this ernestly

youtube.com/watch?v=7kWdpEnJfxI

You can't sneak anything past me :)

So is the whole joke that the poster boy for new sincerity was a posturing fake faggot?

I hate this smug motherfucker.

TAK TAK TAK

YON

Thats what art is for. A few people are really good at telling us their internal monologue which strangely resembles ours and therefore letting us know we're not alone.

the older you get, the truer this becomes. as i near 30, i don't emulate anyone anymore. you settle into a realm of self-confidence and self-comfort and only look internally for artistic guidance. sure, you don't stop educating yourself on other artistic works, but the apprentice phase is over by mid-twenties, i'd say.

DEATH GRIPS
E
A
T
H

G
R
I
P
S

said the same thing.

I'm 24 and I feel pretty much the same way.

Also I'd like to say that I'm rarely impressed by anything, whether it's some shitty fotm TV show, a book everyone keeps talking about (Infinite Jest) or a "hot" chick. I rarely come across something that I'd say is truly great or beautiful. People call me edgy because of this, but I believe that most things in life are mediocre/average so it's only normal not to like things (much).

I sometimes wish I was as impressionable as everyone else.

Do you find even music mediocre?

I agree with him and always found it difficult to answer school assignments that called for "people you most admire". I think it is unwise to worship others But Dfw strikes me as someone who could only enjoy his own achievements and there should be some shame associated with this mindset. If that is a real quote. :^))

source?

I'm blind nvm

This thread is full of fedora-donning dorks.

To say most people aren't impressive is banal, but if you can't think of one person you admire you're either half-retarded or very narcissistic.

Stefan Burnett (MC Ride) said this in his interview with the musical masturbation site Pitchfork, available on YouTube.

no he wasn't, don't be a pedant

Yeah, I'm just not impressed by most of the stuff I hear these days. Not even my favorite albums sound good to me anymore, but that's probably because I overplayed them to death.

I think I just got tired of everything (and/or feel like I've already heard it all - 9000 artists on lfm).

What a pretentious douche. Music has been explored to various ends of the spectrum. Just because you listened to all The Beatles' records doesn't mean you've explored all music. I find it impossible that you have listened to just about every sound there is to listen to. Similarly, you probably only read in English, so your paradigm is stunted there too. Learn another language and explore music/ literature, you dimwit.

narcissism is a hallmark quality of great artists, mate. thanks for the compliment.

however, interviews should always (and rarely are) read contextually within the frame of the interviewees mindset. dude probably had a bad week and was rather apathetic about others. compound that with narcissism, severe depression, chemical dependency, and a bloated ego and the above quote makes more sense.

To logically agree and emotionally disagree with this is human. His denial of human relation is why he killed himself. The entire reason that we strive to do anything is for eachother. Without allowing yourself that, you're fucked.

Is there a date for this quote?

I read his biography (Every Love Story is a Ghost Story -- it's okay), and it's pretty clear that he was fiendishly competitive and definitely tried to model his writing off some of his contemporaries. He was also in love with Pynchon, and that infatuation resonates in much of his work. While I can't deny what was going on in DFW's head that day, but he definitely found inspiration in other writers throughout his life.

He didnt say that

pretty sure this is an MC Ride quote. well meme'd user

>Veeky Forums are Death Grips fans

I'm disappointed.

>of course i like jimi hendrix. of course.

what did he mean by thus

because you want someone to care for you (even if you want to deny it).
and if you're unable to roughly guess how someone else is feeling then that's no wonder why you have no fwens.

Was DFW influenced by Stirner?

whats wrong with dg?

This isn't a DFW quote, you dolts

Jesus, one would expect Veeky Forums browsers to be at least a little bit skeptical about the sources of random quotes

How do you know this?

Read the thread you mongolian. There's a youtube video and that's where the quote is from.

I googled the quote but all I got was the results that lead back to this page... How do you know it's not from DFW?

You are too slow. I'm barely 19 and I already feel like this.

Hey dumbass read the goddamn thread

Now that user can't be in their special snowflake DG fanclub

How did so many people recognize a Death Grips quote?

Veeky Forums confirmed for Death Grips loving manchildren.

Have to agree, when people tell me their accomplishments or others tell me of another person's success stories I really don't care. For me it always comes off as someone bragging which I also don't care for, like when the mother of a child lists all the goals he has accomplished in his life. Then again I am a narcissistic individual. The only thing that impresses me is nature.

Hey man, it's better than Swans.

>that guy who climbs onstage around 2:09
>tfw the last concert you went to was AJJ and they decided to go easy on us and let a little moshing happen

+1

does this mean we're friends

yes, post your rateyourmusic and/or letterboxd and/or goodreads

yes, isn't that why he is mentioned here at all? People don't actually take him seriously do they?

To be fair, it's like the only Death Grips interview in existence, so a lot of fans have seen it.

DG will be shown as important both in literature and music.

you now realize that DFW is John Green only slightly more intelligent