DEPRESSION

Why did humans evolve to get depressed when things are going badly?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rank_theory_of_depression
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_death
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why did humans evolve to get depressed when things are going badly?
Evolutionary mechanism.
The body sees things are going bad and wants you to kill yourself.

Society evolved too fast for biology to keep up.

One (anecdotal) theory is that it preserves energy in harsh times. Depression was probably less common when you were kept busy by keeping yourself alive. A life in relative ease in a culture that values nothing more than unattainable perfection and like-the-movies happiness, leaves a lot of room to brood and evaluate yourself based on others, instead of seeing people, doing things and keeping busy.
Idle hands and all that. There is something to it, no matter how you view theology.

TL;DR:

Not sure if being sarcastic but I kek'd none the less.

It's self-regulation of the gene pool.

If a male challenges a male higher in the social hierarchy than him and gets defeated, it is more advantageous to become depressed and stop struggling rather than keep fighting and bring further harm to yourself.

>It's self-regulation of the gene pool.
This.
Some next level projecting right here.

depressed people can be very aggressive at times

A better question is, why did humans evolve to get depressed when things are going well?

It's normal to get sad when things go bad and even understandable that some ppl need help to get out of it. But why does some ppl's brain just randomly stop working periodically even when everything in their life is going well or even when something abnormally good happens.

He's not projecting, he's summarizing the wikipedia article on rank theory of depression

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rank_theory_of_depression

which, I'm not sure how you can't see it, is an instance of "self-regulation" of the gene pool. if he keeps challenging the strongest males of the group and failing he'll end up 'splashing' the 'pool', making the 'waters' more turbulent and increasing uncertainty, etc. whereas if he becomes depressed, the group can be certain he won't cause anymore trouble by challenging the alpha males, move on peacefully, the alpha males can impregnate the females and the genes of the tribe get passed on without trouble.

what does evolutionary psychology tell us

>why did humans evolve to do (X)
fuck off

Then why do women get depressed

Sounds like fucking nonsense

How the fuck does this relate to contemporary humans?
We're not wolves in a pack.
There are a lot more variables to take into account.

>Then why do women get depressed
Because they have been defeated by the alpha-slut.

Sentience was a mistake, that's why.

The thing I think is, you dont have to actually physically challenge someone higher rank. Just watching other people be so much happier/successful/etc. then you either in real life or in media is enough to induce it. You create the alpha in your mind, then you lose to it there.

He's not being sarcastic, I also support that theory

Think of it in terms of the race as a singular organism. If the human race didn't get depressed and rid itself of the trash via suicides, it would be full of trash. Therefor, there is a dormant switch to off yourself in every single person should you not meet the perceived standards of society

Wanna know something even more interesting? There's a kill switch as well for the more severe cases of "not meeting society's standards" - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_death , which thankfully didn't get enough time to evolve correctly

Where did this idea that "every single trait a human may or may not exhibit has a perfectly reasonable evolutionary reason for manifesting" came from?
Evolution is pretty chaotic.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_death
Thank you.
Didn't know about that.

Notice how infrequently women actually go through with it and off themselves compared to men. They're less sentient.

It's actually the opposite, people on average are less depressed during war and hard times, because they make you appreciate basic things like being alive. Modern society removes the most of the essential struggle and thus the purpose of living

can you back that up? i think during war times depression is just low on the list of priorities

When my mood is good I can take a shower no problem.
When I feel like shit and I don't want to get out of bed, I absolutely cannot stand cold water.
Nonetheless, if I feel like not going out and I do take a shower, afterwards I feel more sociable.
Positive stressors improve your mood.

>When my mood is good I can take a shower no problem.
* cold shower.

Maybe we didn't. Maybe we just haven't evolved out f it yet.

kids die

fixed, 10000000 hours in mspiant

desu

>no one reads these
kekked pretty hard

t.bh desu senpai

This thread appeared again on the top which reminded me of something I forgot to add - that you don't directly go suicidal when depressed

I believe that there are two phases of depression - the slave-whipping one and the "just off yourself my man" one. If I recall the most productive weeks of my life they're all within the episodes of "soft" depression - complete loss of libido, zero enjoyment of stuff, zero appetite and no desire to be social. After that I suddenly become hyper-productive and get blasted by a huge urge to restore the diet, start going to the gym again and to study random stuff the entire day. That's where my brain whips me to man the fuck up and solve the root of the depression.

And then comes failure. Realization that you've plateaued so hard that you can't dig yourself out even on maximum overdrive. Exhaustion and full capitulation. That's the "why the fuck didn't I get a hearth attack in my sleep" phase.

I've went through the above cycles my entire life while growing up, mainly due to my toxic environment, and from personal experience have actually realized that you should not strive to be happy. Instead, you should try to go through as many "soft depression" cycles as possible while avoiding the hard one, because the soft depression provides you with the paradigm shift needed to autistically motivate you into doing stuff. Happiness is status quo upkeep. You should use it to take a small break off of being lightly depressed. I know that I'll sound cheesy, but its true - the enemy of the great is the good. Stop trying to upkeep your status quo (happiness) and challenge it constantly

>we're not wolves in a pack
>there are a lot more variables to take into account

Obviously.

To clarify my position, I don't think rank theory explains all instances of depression. I wouldn't mind putting money on it, however, that looking at "perceived" and "actual" rank, (as well as comparing definitions of the terms, pitting definitions against each other) and comparing them would yield some interesting results about human behavior that might be useful in supporting a more comprehensive explanation for depression generally.

I don't think that's unreasonable. I'm not making any wild claims about "all humans are this" or "all humans are that". Take what works and get rid of what doesn't. If it turns out you can't even define "actual" or "perceived" rank to begin with, so be it! I'm not picking sides, just trying out something new.

Depression isn't a progressive adaptation for human beings. It's a mood disorder. You get sad when things go badly and that's an emotional evolutionary marker for higher order animals like most mammals. It's usually a social interruptions because social interactions mean healthy herds, groups, tribes, etc and a healthy herd, group, tribe, etc means a successful passing of genes.

why did humans evolve to get AIDS when they fuck monkeys?

Very poor example. Depression in the brain is nothing like aids.

>in a culture that values nothing more than unattainable perfection and like-the-movies happiness
Rather, in a community made up of individuals that value nothing but themselves.

the point is that not everything is an evolutionary adaptation

What's the difference between regular depression and Bipolar depression? I have Bipolar Type 1 (not self-diagnosed, diagnosed in 2014) and when I get depressed I don't really feel any emotions, at all. Not happiness, sadness (which is the strangest), fear, anger, anything. All I feel is boredom and lack of motivation, but I don't feel like killing myself. During mania it's the opposite. I can feel really happy, really sad, paranoid, rage, etc. And I do experience hallucinations which are just people talking about random shit or knocking. And I get delusions which are like grandiose mostly but sometimes involve paranoia where I think someone is watching me or chasing me from behind. Can somebody explain what's going on? Is it Bipolar or something else?

that sounds like textbook bipolar disorder...

Okay but explain to me what's the difference between regular depression and what I experience. Why do some people with depression kill themselves?

People kill themselves because they're hopeless. The future is dark and you think it'll remain that way, it'll never change. Everyday you wake up and you feel empty, no happiness. You never experience joy, the most you ever get is just meh. Why go on? If i kill myself i won't have to feel anymore.

Why did humans evolve to get diabetes when they eat too much sugar?

>how does this relate to contemporary humans
A lot more with each passing day now that enforced monogamy is no longer a thing.

We weren't evolved to deal with modern society. Normally a stresser would come about for something important like not having enough food, not being able to mate or getting attacked. But in modern society you see things that cause that response dozens of times a day when you are late for work or need to study for a test.

How the fuck a kill switch can evolve if those who activate it (those who have an effective one hence the right mutation) just straight up dies

less sentient beings off themselves faster than sentient ones though, men are dumber than females and have less control over their actions

Your consciousness is so good at solving for what would make you a happier creature that it realizes that you'd be better off without it.

This is because you're not solving difficult enough problems to challenge it, so it turns inwards and looks for problems in yourself. Because it is imperfect it creates them where there are none, making you unhappier. It then equates itself to making you unhappier (you are making yourself unhappier) and concludes that to be a happy being it must be gone (you must kill yourself)

Just compete against other people and beat them, you'll be fine. You'll never beat all 7.5 billion of us so you can keep working the problem forever.

>men are dumber than females and have less control over their actions
Get the fuck out roastie.

This post is extremely relatable. Thank you

irritability and irrationality is at the core of most depression. Of course it differs for everyone but those are probably the most common indicators, more so than any kind of "sadness".