MISHIMA ALL DAY

On this date in 1970 our boy sliced open his belly.

Get in here and talk Mishima!

youtube.com/watch?v=w1AbTRtT7qE

Other urls found in this thread:

mutantfrog.com/patriotism-by-yukio-mishima/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

do you think that weird science fiction novel he wrote will ever be translated?

What's everyone's favorite of his?

The Sailor Who Fell is definitely my favorite. I think it captures what he meant to convey in most of his novels the most concisely and (maybe) the most beautifully. That being said, Golden Pavilion is very good and Confessions of a Mask can be super funny and heartfelt at times.

Side note: is The Sea of Fertility worth reading?

Nice wristwatch.

>Sailor

Supposedly, over in glorious nihhon, that is considered to be his weakest work

what do I read to get into Mishima

That's interesting, it just seemed the most natural/least forced of everything of his I've read

His books

His description of seppuku in 'Patriotism' is probably the most disgusting thing I've ever read, like absolutely fucking stomach-churning. The fact that he could write that and then go and carry it out is insane.

how do you guys find mishima books? neither my library or local stores has all the works I want to read. did you end up just ordering online or just finding an ebook?

Patriotism was the most intense thing ive ever read

you found it disgusting? I only found the part where he vomited a bit gross but it makes it seem more realistic anyway.

the way he wrote it almost glorified young beautiful death. its no wonder now that he fantasied about it himself

>Kant
>Mishima

Any other useless manlets we should know about?

Oh yeah, glorified or not, the description of the blade "entangled in his entrails" or his loss of strength as he attempts to plunge it into his throat were extremely unpleasant to read for me. Patriotism is fantastic, but I think that glorification of a young death is better portrayed in Runaway Horses where the messier aspect is left out.

>The instant that the blade tore open his flesh, the bright disk of the sun soared up and exploded behind his eyelids.

is one of the best closing lines I've ever read.

dunno about you but it's pretty common to find the Vintage editions in Oxfam and so on

>read Forbidden Colours
>scenes with just woman talking are more erotic than the gay sex

Nice one Mishima.

happy sudoko-day mishima-chan

we are still delicate and sentimental and cruel beings

you were a genius

hope you are doing well

mutantfrog.com/patriotism-by-yukio-mishima/

Ichikawa's adaptation of The Temple of the Golden Pavilion was pretty good. Beautiful cinematography in some scenes. It both benefits and is burdened by the "objective" cinematic form - Mizoguchi's inner turmoil and fanaticism barely penetrates the story - Schrader did this much better - but in some instances it is really interesting to see scenes and relations not through Mizoguchi himself. If only this later aspect would have been done more deliberately...

Some guy on a forum wrote a fan translation a few years ago. I tried to contact him but he never got back to me. We'll probably never see a real one

Schrader commissioned his own translation of Kyokos house to write the film, the size of a phonebook. Decades later and we havn't even got an English release

Working on a poster for a (non-existent) talk on our choice of subject. I chose my boy Mishima, what do you guys think? :^)

looks good man

bumping with more mishima

Why no St. Sebastian?

That's a nice image, I should have used that

Anyone here read Mishima in Japanese? Working on doing it pretty soon

Fuck it, i am going to get forbidden color tomorrow!
i am not letting mishima senpai down

He was a fag like John Wayne.

rip le gay nip

Which book he wrote should I start with lads?
Also, which one is his best?

I'm intrigued how prose in Japanese literature would be translated into English.

Are his novels truly worth looking into?

Most people start with The Sailor who fell with grace from the sea.

Can't say what is his best though

I've only read the first book, Spring Snow. I found it to be profoundly beautiful. I actually underlined multiple passages and continue to go back and reread them.

The story is a tragedy, but handled beautifully.

Sun and Steel (long essay, Veeky Forumscore)
First two Sea of Fertility novels (Spring Snow and Runaway Horses)

go confessions or go home

It's not necessarily considered his weakest work (I don't know what is if anything0 it's just a minor work and not widely read.

>The Sea of Fertility worth reading?

Yes, it is his magnum opus without a doubt.

>Sailor
>natural and least forced

I like Sailor, but I mean overt Oedipal references and mutilating kittens and a group of school boys actually carrying out murder is a teensy bit forced m8.

the openly gay japanese hemingway

Mishima is actually good and not muh alcoholism

Why would you need a translation? Are you telling me you're on Veeky Forums and you don't even know Japanese?

He was not openly gay and he had a wife. He was either gay or bi, but no openly so.

here's a final bump to this thread before it dies.

i'm rereading Sailor today.