I wonder if there are actually any people on this thread who love books

I wonder if there are actually any people on this thread who love books.

This place is so hostile. It makes reading a chore. Everyone is elitist and constantly out to try and one-up each other.

It's ridiculous.

On this thread? I fucking meant on this board.

>muh feels

Are you are woman or a minority by any chance?

Nope. Just someone who has browsed Veeky Forums for a long time and amazed at the amount of pretentious bullshit.

Well, what is the point of posting this though? It's just the culture of this place and Veeky Forums as a whole. It's a tired banal observation that everyone already knows and is most likely the reason people even come here in the first place.

Random rude response so that you can feel justified.

It's just a rant. It's so annoying because what if people actually want to have real conversations without the fear of some cunt coming along and ruining everything? This board epitomizes "stop liking what I don't like".

When I come here I hope to see some people talking about literature that I've read or been wanting to read so I feel like I have people who are similar to me. Sometimes these threads appear and are wonderful experiences altough they are often shortlived because this board is very slow and empty and you will end up most of the time in a two way conversation with an "user" that becomes less anonymous and more "the guy who likes X about Y because Z".
Anyway, this can be applied to any other forum online I guess but Veeky Forums has the advantage of the anonimity being the currency here so there is truly no reason to be pretentious or to build up ego. I think is a beautiful place honestly.

Besides when you don't find these good threads you can always join into some John Green hate or call Spookner a fag or post some rare DFW. I dig it.

Dick Danger the Cock Ranger
Whats about?

same, Veeky Forums is comfy zone

I am an elitist because I love books. It personally hurts me when I see you posting nasty pleb books and treating what I consider goopy dogshit like respectable and enjoyable art that it is okay to direct conversation towards. This isn't some sort of pose; I am sincerely irritated and repulsed by your attempts to normalize your aesthetic disorder and introduce it to the wider culture. It is extremely important to shame and cull low IQ users with bad taste, because if left untreated, they will infect the entire board and we will end up with another /tv/.

Is this a joke?

This attitude, while it does spare us for the most part from us turning into r/books, actively discourages people from talking about anything worth talking about.

These complaint posts outnumber the "elitist" ones three to one.

I'm pretty sure most people on this board love reading. I'm also pretty sure most of the people on this board really hate themselves. So, congratulations on insulting the only source of joy many of us have. Hypocrite.

Why the fuck would anyone be discouraged? It's an anonymous board dude.

but reading IS chore

>implying you're not trying to one-up us with this "you're just hostile elitists. I truly love books more than you" attitude

one of us. one of us.

Dumb

r/books is free to access

this.

>Everyone is elitist and constantly out to try and one-up each other.
I don't really see it. The hostility here isn't remotely as apparent as it is on other boards, like /mu/ or /tv/. There are actually recommendation or genre fiction threads where shit gets talked about and there isn't always an "enlightened circle's preference."

By what I've gathered in this thread I think I got something important.
This isn't r/books, this is Veeky Forums, you are not handholded trough here, you must ignore the obvious bait/hate threads and actively search or initiate the discussion you are interested in and when you manage to do that you need to again ignore the bait.

I don't like people being overly narcisistic about books, a lot of us have heard the old saying "even from the worst book you can find something useful or good about it" so I wouldn't disencourage discussion about, say, Harry Potter or GoT, but I like that there are people who take it upon themselves to blame people into shame for liking these books.

This place is a mess but it got me into reading Dovstoiesky and Ayn Rand from Strugatsky and Asimov so its nice.

Because you know if you start topic X it will be a hate filled series of attacks where people only facetiously talk about something. There is no point in ever starting threads in this board about women because you know there will never actually be a discussion. Seriously, have you ever been into a thread about McCarthy? What could be a nice discussion about his works turns into tortilla memes because not everyone on this board likes him.

That attitude stops mega plebs but it also creates an environment that is hostile to actual discussion.

Eh Veeky Forums is still more hospitable than academia

lol joke's on you I can't even read

I agree with the general sentiment of culling retarded shit tier content posters but at the same time Veeky Forums's animosity ventures beyond merely calling out shitposters

In Veeky Forums critique threads, for instance, instead of responding to gratuitous adverb usage with "it's a good story arc but the verbiage is too heavy handed to be taken seriously" it's "literally fucking hang yourself right now you should be ashamed of this" -- and this is unfortunately not hyperbole.

It's the same with everything else on this board. You lot are too overly cynical teebh. There's no need to lash out at every post you're jealous of/despise/feel okay about.

I opened a thread on here the other day in which the OP was trying to get some fruitful discussion about the philosophy of the metaphysical self going. OP was perfectly articulate and coherent, and the discussion could've, no, should've, been a good one. Instead it was all-too-predictable Veeky Forums style shit flinging, mom jokes, and dick measuring contests.

I don't know if it's a mixture of bottled up insecurity, age, and anonymity, but we're all, with exception to a few, and I like to think I'm one of them, tripping over our own dicks here insofar as the board is shit for everyone when you behave like this. The board is more toxic than /b/ or /pol/, and that says something.

I love books, user. But i have strong opinions about books and if i think someone is wrong about a book i will tell them.

leaf tier shitpost, never ceases to amaze me

Veeky Forums really isn't that elitist. It's mostly shitposting.

shitposting is the internet habit of the elite

2016; Reading for pleasure
Pleb.

>This place is a mess but it got me into reading Ayn Rand

Veeky Forums was a mistake

>In Veeky Forums critique threads, for instance, instead of responding to gratuitous adverb usage with "it's a good story arc but the verbiage is too heavy handed to be taken seriously" it's "literally fucking hang yourself right now you should be ashamed of this" -- and this is unfortunately not hyperbole.

On the other hand, I get really happy when they compliment my prose, because I know they mean it.

I agree with OP. The average Veeky Forums user has a massive ego. Aren't you like 20? Why do you put so much weight on your opinion? Honestly /mu/ is way better.

>There is no point in ever starting threads in this board about women
your attitude is part of the problem

Then you should go back to /mu/

I just assumed this board was a parody of what a Veeky Forums literature board would be like.

Irony is the refuge for Veeky Forums's fear of not being deserving.

People who actually read are off reading.

Veeky Forums itself is a huge parody so youre not completely wrong

>This place is so hostile. It makes reading a chore.
Then don't come here? I don't know how your visits to a taiwanese tragedy board affects your reading but you should probably stay away in that case.

Idiot

This

>
> It is extremely important to shame and cull low IQ users with bad taste, because if left untreated, they will infect the entire board

Do you hear yourself? Do you live off of your own self righteousness? I'm not defending those who choose not to explore their scholarly side, but goodness.... there's a difference between a plausible argument and being plain bitter and disdainful about people breathing the same air as you, the almighty, the god amongst men.

i love books and i love being chilled out and friendly and only post positively but most of my posts get ignored

I think it's mostly newfriends who rage like that, since you can't possibly get angry over the same kind of shit over and over again for long. At a certain point you just can't be bothered to argue with yet another seemingly dumb opinion that you've seen posted many times.

hehe

Just accept it for what it is. Veeky Forums as a whole is just a meme factory. There's good threads, there's shit threads. If you're discouraged by a lack of interest in your threads and replies personally, this isn't the place for you. Same goes if you get upset when some user calls you a faggot pseud.

You faggot pseud...

I think that the trouble is the breadth of the subject matter makes it quite difficult to have useful things to say even if you are quite well read.

Whatever you love,enjoy,am inspired by and want to share for the enrichment og Mankind,there will be thousands happy to spoil your happiness with snarky measured rudeness. In gaming,this phenomenon is called Griefing,or Grief playing,the player using game resources to hinder the enjoyment of others by killing them or irritating them to the point of quitting. I'd see them a lot in Second Life, a place I've described as a vast buffet of creativity and artistic pursuit, but for some reason you get a certain personality type who would fight tooth and nail to be the first to take a dump in the punchbowl.

I have speculated on Why this happens. And I conclude that lacking Power and Control in their real life,such people come to games to exert such power over anyone else just to feel the slightest twinge of authority. And I also feel they should be beaten with baseball bats anyway,because no matter how bad a day I may have ,I would NEVER contemplate ruining another's. So welcome to Veeky Forums,and expect pockets of petty viciousness in every other post.

>I am an elitist because I love memes. It personally hurts me when I see you posting nasty shitposts and treating what I consider goopy dogshit like respectable and enjoyable memes that it is okay to direct conversation towards. This isn't some sort of pose; I am sincerely irritated and repulsed by your attempts to normalize your aesthetic disorder and introduce it to the wider culture. It is extremely important to shame and cull low IQ users with bad taste, because if left untreated, they will infect the entire board and we will end up with another /tv/.

we're hostile because we love books very deeply and hate the pleb shits that don't

He wasn't asking for a explanation, and frankly you can be an elitist who creates a space for certain things without being a huge dick to people within that space. I only use lit for about 30 minutes a day before work to hunt for reading recs. I'd stay longer but the community is awful.

>elitist
>Literally only reads widely read classics and board favorites
>No taste of their own

There are very few people who have read enough to have any unique taste. Imagine if /mu/ only liked top40 and you get Veeky Forums

>Literally only reads widely read classics and board favorites
Yes, if only there were more than tens of thousand of classics to read. It's so limiting and stagnant.

>Imagine if /mu/ only liked top40 and you get Veeky Forums
This is a terrible, untrue analogy. If we were to make it work lit would need to read The Hunger Games and Harry Potter to make the musical equivalent of a top40.

There are a few excellent posts every now and then, but on the whole you're right. Strangely enough, the threads with the highest level of discourse always relate to the Iliad, from what I've seen.

Colson Whitehead's NBA winning book, The Underground Railroad is really worth reading. Most of Whitehead is worth reading.

then go reddit. don't go to Veeky Forums expecting reddit.

I said you can be elitist, thus making a place to talk about great things without having the toxic atmosphere that this place is. What's the point in creating a place to talk about classics where no one talks about classics because of the toxicity? There's maybe only one or two threads a month which are good and don't get ruined. Asking for this place to be less shit in no way means it has to be reddit. Unless of course you believe that everything that isn't exactly the way something is on Veeky Forums has to be reddit. But then I don't know what to say to you.

This post is exactly why we need elitists.

that's not how you spell Veeky Forums

Then intellectually defend McCarthy and women. I would join you on both.

The user you're replying to won't be beyond reason either, he's invested in the subject too.

This. It's more helpful than any other creative writing class and has taught me so much in two years (obviously with a few friends reading too). If you can't handle someone shitting on your work, then you don't have the stomach to face the rejection every author will go through.