Just finished this, what does Veeky Forums think of it?

Just finished this, what does Veeky Forums think of it?

Depends on who you ask.

Why don't you start off the discussion, you dense fuck?

He just did, you fool

You are a rather aggressive human

>'tell me whether I'm allowed to like this or not'

YOU'RE THE FOOL

What do YOU think about it?

Nice implication

I thought it was good.

Just throwing that in.

thought it was shit. Great thread, OP

I thought the ending with the boy crying was overly sentimental and ruined it.

Something something my job is outdated and no longer necessary, but it's totally a lost art blah blah blah. It's alright if you like that kind of minimalist writing.

I think its more to do with the futility of battling nature, he thought he won the battle but it was almost predetermined that he would lose.

Good read. Don't need a bunch of purple language and over the top ideas and characters to tell a good story. Simple can be good and convey a lot.

probably in my top 10 favorite books, I think it's perfect for what it is.

>Just finished this
whats it feel like to read 130 pages?

Simple but sweet.

I read it in one sitting

>Old Man and the Sea
>Just about some old pervert who repeatedly rapes a young boy in his boat out at sea

It wasn't too bad, but certainly not my favorite Hemingway work.

>in my top 10
There's better Hemingway m8. Read more Hemingway and read more in general.

I like it. Really sad

Tangentially related to OP's but probably not deserving of a thread:

I've always been a huge nonfic guy, to the point where the last time I read a fiction book was in 9th grade (I'm 22 now), To Kill a Mockingbird to be exact. Which, by the way, turned me off from fiction even more. Always been into history, military strategy, psychology etc.

Anyways, I recently got a copy of A Farewell to Arms. What's Veeky Forums's general consensus of this book?

Is it something I'd enjoy or nah? Obviously I should probably just read it and find out, but I'm interested in knowing you guys' perspectives. I don't care if you spoil it, by the way -- I'm strange about getting equally as excited about a story even if I've heard the details.

Help me stop being a fiction troglodyte famalam

Thanks for not making a thread, I'm not sure that was even deserving of a post.
Anyway, I love it. It's written very clearly and carefully and for that reason should be a good segue from nonfiction. It also sounds like it'll jibe with your interests.
It's short too, so find out for yourself.

It is fantastic, super descriptive language from Hemmmmmmingway as always and really made me feel like I was out at sea for two days straight. Symbolism is a little cringey, but I take it, because Hem is thrusting, and who am I to tell him no?

Also be should have just let the fish go, goddamn.

How could you mess up the details like that? It's the Old Man who gets raped by the shark.

What's his best?

One of my favorites.
Ending is Hemingway's best IMO

wrong desu

Old Man>Farewell>Islands>Bell>Sun

this seems pretty good, but or me it's a toss-up between old man and farewell

Great book, though there's always been something a little fishy about it to me.

I thought it was alright. The only other book by Hemingway that I've read is The Sun Also Rises, which I found to be a lot more enjoyable.

I like it, but For Whom the Bell Tolls is my fave Hemm

Who cares?

I enjoyed it simply because it felt comfy.

The whole depiction was just mildly pleasant throughout and I liked that.

Personally, I prefer his short stories to his novels. Just the way he handles character and "muh iceberg" is better suited to short stories I think. I recommend just getting "The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway" and reading it cover to cover.

I like "Old Man" but I just feel like it reads like a slightly too dragged out short story. I feel like it could have been a short story.

"classic" "american" "literature"

>The Old Man and The Sea was a book about how a senior citizen demonstrates the continued potency of his testosterone reserves by killing a dumb animal before being outwitted by other dumb animals.

"the old sea and the man" will be more realistic
all seas are older than human isn't it ?

Bigoted garbage from a well-known White cis-heteronormative patriarch.

I am sick of his vulgar puritanism. He's like a rash on the American brain.

It shows that the most important aspect of a book is the narrative, with it you can talk about things as simple as a man fishing and your book will be good

I like it.

lol he doesn't like the comfy feels of The Sun also Rises. lolpleb

Not him but I absolutely hated it. If it's actually his worse, maybe I just need to give his other books a try. The Sun Also Rises was bad enough that it put me off Hemingway completely.

It was literally "checking into hotels and and eating at restaurants" - the book.

I kept waiting for the actual story to start only to reach the end and realize it never would. Also the main character was a cuck who watched his love interest get plowed by a Spanish bull because he was impotent.

He was a salty man who posted alone on Veeky Forums and he gone his whole life without getting a girlfriend

He had too much respect for the fish to let it go, user

It's raw, it's manly and it's beautiful. I'd fuck Hemingway, full homo.

Lol you obviously did not get the book at all

Different user. I didn't get the book. I found it all tedious and couldn't figure out how anyone would enjoy it.

It's very good, you could read it side by side with Homage to Catalonia, it should make you shed the hatred of fiction although there are perfectly decent men who don't enjoy novels e.g. De Ste. Croix (who is a fantastic historian you should read)

Christ how embarrassing, I was thinking of for whom the bell tolls.
Farewell to arms is ALSO an extremely good book, much less stylised than fwtbt but a lovely statement on the horror of life, Hemmmmmmmm's 2 page foreword might make you like it more.