Sober up

>sober up
>art goes to shit
Why does this keep happening? He's just one example

>stephen king
>art

Most if his early work is just great, dismissing everything he wrote is a big red flag that you might have terminal plebbyness

reddit: the Veeky Forums post

lmao

holy fuck

Thomas Pynchon masturbators hivemind

i haven't read pynchon, but i do know that stephen king is on par with the likes of game of thrones and other YA-stuff

I agree OP, his works definitely took a dive after he stopped being a raging alcoholic. His demons were giving him inspiration, he was writing about alcoholic fiends because he was one

On par in which way? His books deal with subjects not interesting to young adults.

his prose, that is, game of thrones doesn't exclusively appeal to young adults either in its subject matter
besides, that guy managed to think up a better plot than king his whacky, weak plots

My personal favorite if his is The Long Walk and that one has next to no real plot, it's mostly conversations and exposition and it's amazing.

its so easy to spot the dilettantes in Stephen King threads.
>WELL HAROLD BLOOM DIDNT SAY HE WAS GOOT

counterexample

p.s. steven king is for fags

Who is that?

coltrane

John Coltrane. Was a junkie and alcoholic, had a spiritual awakening and went on to make some of the greatest music of the 20th century.

I hope this is bait.

What the fuck? When did this happen to Veeky Forums? or is it just one angry person? Who the fuck would ever use the word dilettante to describe someone who thinks Stephen King is shit?

Maybe if you've read a ton of fantasy and sci-fi you'd think he's good (his prose is less than serviceable though, it is just plain awful).

This is the worst thread I've probably ever seen on Veeky Forums.

Stick to your pseud threads, most people read books to be entertained

Veeky Forums isn't the board for them.

I probably find Stephen King boring because I live a very rich life, you probably find genre fiction entertaining because you have a weak brain.

I don't think you know what literature means.

I said Veeky Forums, not literature. Improve your reading comprehension.

On the internet everyone is a genius millionaire playboy user

Veeky Forums - Literature
Perhaps start by reading simple words before actually discussing books

This really is the worst thread I've ever seen on Veeky Forums. We really have lost this board to reddit when Stephen King is being debated as an "artist". DFW was bad enough but this is just too much.

We're fucked. I hope to god this place closes down in the next 2 months.

I hope it's just a troll and not a true believer. Otherwise there's no hope for this board.

In a weird way I think his best stuff isn't horror. I really enjoyed the dark tower, eyes of the dragon and the long walk

Goddamn Dr Sleep was so bad. He can shit out modern stuff all he likes but why did he have to go back and butcher one of his classics?

that whole fucking "mind battle" they had at the end was some DBZ tier shit

It's completely normal. When you're under the influence of substances you see fucked up things and if you have some talent you can put it into an art form. It's no coincidence that so many of his protags have alcohol issues

STEPHEN KING
HORROR
FANTASY
SCIENCE FICTION
GENRE FICTION
YOUNG ADULT NOVELS
DETECTIVE NOVELS

ARE NOT LITERATURE, NOR ART

I REPEAT

THEY DO NOT CLASSIFY AS LITERATURE,
THEY DISPLAY NO CHARACTERISTIC OF THAT WHICH WE NAME "ART"

YOU NEED TO GET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS BOARD IF YOU ENJOY OR THINK HIGHLY OF THIS GARBAGE. GET THE FUCK OUT. I REPEAT, GET THE FUCK OUT.

You don't own this board, tripfag cancer. You don't get to decide who posts or what is posted

As Mr. Duffy in A Painful Case, you'll end up alone, and aware that the refuge you took in considering yourself enlightened was an excuse to avoid facing your vulnerabilities.

see

you are allowed to enjoy "literature" and mainstream fiction too

TL;DR

You have the choice between something which is good for you, and something which is bad for you.
No one would knowingly pick intellectual and moral poison over the greatest works of the centuries. It is all borne of ignorance and lack of culture. My refutations serve a moral purpose ; I am here to help both the feeble-minded and the able whose education was ruined by the modern world, to find greatness, and never again dabble in mediocrity.

are you done already, cause I want to discuss Stephen King some more

it's better to encourage people to read literature when they can than to frame it as an exclusive club

It's really ironic that you tell people to fuck off the board, while failing to understand the purpose of anonymity and falling into the vanity of using a name.

You perfectly realize the validity of my claims ; for in all men there exists a common tendency to perform just and great actions, and contemplate higher works and deeds, --- you feel it tickling you, and perhaps, if you insult me enough on the basis of my use of a tripcode, you think you will make it go away. You won't. It's the feeling of humanity inside you trying to achieve something higher. Cultivate it.

stop replying to the autistic tripcancer

I was actually going to make fun of OP but now I want to discuss SK

well I think he's shit but he was less shit as Bachmann for sure. IT is extremely overrated and I'm pretty ure a lot of people just like it for the child fucking scene in Vol 2. I agree that his best work has little or no horror elements, with the possible exception of The Shining. That had a very good tension buildup and was legitimately disturbing before King did his usual 3rd act butchering

You're more Ignatius Reilly than Edmond Dantès.

Most artists sober up when their old, meaning when their talent has dried up already

I had a conversation a while ago with someone who thought SK was shit. When i asked what books he'd read that had made him reach that conclusion he was like uh under the dome?. Yeah. He's writen 50+ books some good some bad. Don't confuse overated with shit.

They are serious - I've seen the same posting style on /mu/, and 8 chan /mu/ and Veeky Forums, all of which I've left because of their shittiness and bad taste.

guess it's time to pack your bags

SHUT IT BIG MOUTH ;)

I know that SK is Cervantes tier, and I enjoyed the dark tower when I was 11, but come on.

It's a slow board, and the memes are stale, but pls let's avoid welcoming more retards here.

No author should be banned from discussion. There are plenty of threads to talk about obscure ancient Greek plays or to jerk off to James Joyce.

>No author should be banned from discussion.
No author is banned from being discussed, and if something was, I don't see why it would be an issue. It's a forum, with board culture and rules, not a hug group.
The culture here may be pretty annoying, petty, arrogant, elitist, whatever... but that's the culture here. You can always discuss SK in r/books or goodreads or whatever.

>There are plenty of threads to talk about obscure ancient Greek plays or to jerk off to James Joyce.
Another argument is that there are other sites more welcoming, better suited, and even predisposed to talk about SK and other low quality authors happily, so why insist on doing that here? is it to be countercultural in a countercultural forum?
Again, there's r/books and whatever else.

>obscure ancient Greek plays
For months I haven't seen any discussion of Greek theater deeper than ranking Sophocles' Theban plays, and this is bullshit.

I don't see how one thread in the whole fucking boars bothers you. If there's enough people here who want to discuss it, then let them be. Why the fuck does this pose such a threat to you? Are you so devoid of an identity that you take Veeky Forums's for yourself?

It's like a insect smashed in the windshield. It doesn't really affect my driving, but it's ugly.
And there's not enough people who want to discuss it, as evidenced by the fact that the whole thread was devoted to discussing NOT wanting to talk about him.

It's not a threat, and my identity is not defined by Veeky Forums but I would like the board to be as devoid of shit threads as possible.

>upset his shit author is getting shit on.

Your extending the thread doesn't do shit about it. If there aren't enough people interested, then just let it die on its own merits.

Haven't even read SK.

>on it's own merits
ur funny guy, i let u live

Now, to be quite honest familiar mio, while I don't enjoy certain authors, I do think it's Veeky Forums to discuss their merit, i.e. shitpost him to death. So while I wouldn't like to discuss his work (as in the, the books, narratives, themes, etc. themselves, not his work as a contribution to the medium), shitting on him is acceptable.

Pero cagarse en él sin mencionar ninguna razón, más que "genre shit", es tomar el camino fácil. No hay mérito en eso.

Das "easy way" ist in ordnung weil es geht hier um jemand die total scheiße ist, also es ist total egal ob die qualität der diskussion kake ist weil es wird so wie so ein höheres qualität haben als der schriftsteller selber.

I mean, da igual porque por mas mierda que la discusion sea, es mejor que hablar de la obra misma. Just for fun.

Dicho eso, no podria argumentar mucho en contra de el porque solo recuerdo little passages and maybe the overall plot of one or two works, but not deeply enough to do it properly. I do remember though, that even back then, I knew it wasn't really good, just a simple book to be read by fat moms while on the beach ala tom clancy.

I think Stephen King and great literature are two different things. He's writing to sell books and great authors are writing to create a work of art. Both are correct.

To get this back on track, I think Salem's lot is a fairly underrated book of his. Sure it has the traditional King sloppy shit mess ending but he can undoubtedly build menace and dread.

fucking kek

Welcome to Veeky Forums, everyone.

'Sta merdaccia di opinione dovrebbe essere l'esempio più chiaro della cultura onanistica di questo board ritardato. Non sei tu che deciderà кoй мoжe и кoй нe мoжe дa пocтвa, или кoи aвтopи ca "пoзвoлeни". Шитпocтвaй cи кoлкoтo иcкaш, caмo никoгa нe cи въoбpaзявaй чe мнeниeтo ти имa някaквo знaчeниe. Пeдaли кaтo тeб are the reason more people don't read high quality literature so you're doing more damage than good to your precious art form.

>Most artists sober up when their old, meaning when their talent has dried up already

>says the talentless millennial

Agree on The Long Walk, a very good exploration of what someone's mind goes through under the ultimate stress and how different people react to it differently

Tryhard fedora fag

Barkovitch>Olson>Parker>>>>>shit>>>>Garraty

You are really bad at writing.

lmao look at this pleb here, he forces himself to read out of some quest for "enlightenment"