Why are French people so good at mathematics?

Why are French people so good at mathematics?

Other urls found in this thread:

ipe.com/reports/the-french-quant-connection/10012563.fullarticle
theguardian.com/world/2012/may/31/europa-french-maths-ecoles-normales-superieures
theguardian.com/science/alexs-adventures-in-numberland/2017/mar/21/abel-prize-2017-yves-meyer-wins-maths-nobel-for-work-on-wavelets
quora.com/What-are-the-reasons-the-french-are-so-good-at-mathematics-What-are-some-best-practices-at-policy-level-in-school-or-university-that-could-be-emulated-in-a-developing-country
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:French_mathematicians
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I never heard that stereotype. I know it's true for russians because their educative system is more math oriented than others, to maybe it's something similar in France

Germans and Russians (specially the ashkenazim) are better.

France is so boring that mathematics is a popular form of escapism, although not as popular as being drunk or fucking boys.

France and Germany have impressive pantheons of notable mathematicians, rivaled only by Americans and Russians/Soviets (and you should account for population size there.)

However I'm not sure the average Frenchman is particularly good at maths.

I have never heard of any stereotype about French people being good at math.

I've heard about Asians being good at math and maybe Germans and Russians to some degree.

I think OP is talking about France being the country of origin for some very significant mathematicians in the past.

The average French person is not good at math though.

The french have sophisticated tastes

Some clues for you

ipe.com/reports/the-french-quant-connection/10012563.fullarticle

>The average French person is not good at math though.
They're one of the worst in europe actually. A lot of surveys have been done on the matter

Neccissity. France has been engaged in some form of war for a good chunk of the last 1000 years, which is an excellent motivator for excellence. Also proximity to Prussia (a massive contributor to maths)

theguardian.com/world/2012/may/31/europa-french-maths-ecoles-normales-superieures

The list of recipients of Fields medals, the equivalent of the Nobel prize for maths, with 11 medals, France is second only to the US (13).
+
theguardian.com/science/alexs-adventures-in-numberland/2017/mar/21/abel-prize-2017-yves-meyer-wins-maths-nobel-for-work-on-wavelets
+
quora.com/What-are-the-reasons-the-french-are-so-good-at-mathematics-What-are-some-best-practices-at-policy-level-in-school-or-university-that-could-be-emulated-in-a-developing-country

>wavelets

when will they learn?

>France is second only to the US (13).

Implying the US population is good at mathematics
Where does France score on mathematics education wise? When I think of county's that generally excel in mathematics, countries like China and Japan usually come to mind--not France.

>accepting a Fields medal

He can do that because he is literally one of the most intelligent human beings alive. Most mathematicians can't afford that luxury.

Did you read the link ?

What you think is just wrong. Thanks to me, you are now aware of the excellence of the french school of mathematics.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:French_mathematicians

On average they suck but those who actually study math after high school utterly BTFO all your German cuckolds.

Google "grandes écoles", CPGE, ENS and "école Polytechnique" and behold how half of science was invented.

I've been to Uk and France both in my teen years, so I can give you an idea.

Theyre both the fuckin same, some good teachers, some shit, same shit learned in both.

I personally think its Europeans. They're genes are just more intelligent by intelligent standards. All pure bred germans, swedes, french are just good.

Brits were okay then sorta lost their charm, we get the few geniuses and thats it.

Asians are have incredible work ethic and drive, dont think its apart of them, just think its culture.

Negros are 1 in a trillion. Never seen a black guy in a science class at a high grade uni. I personally think if blacks are raised right, in right places and with same oppurtinities as their white classmates, then they will prosper the same. But usually blacks dont like science much nor math, which i find weird.

if blacks are dumb by how they behave, then aussies are just as dumb.

In France in the 60's, they reformed math in schools. They literally asked some top tier mathematicians to write some academic level textbooks (with axioms, proofs, all this rigorous stuff you see in uni) and started to teach it in high schools. I read a documentary about it, pretty cool. Non mathematically gifted kids were fucking frightened and confused as hell.

>Negros are 1 in a trillion. Never seen a black guy in a science class at a high grade uni. I personally think if blacks are raised right, in right places and with same oppurtinities as their white classmates, then they will prosper the same. But usually blacks dont like science much nor math, which i find weird.

Are you aware that there are University in Africa ? that there are doctor (es math, in biology, in physics, etc.) in Africa ?

maybe the stupidest post in Veeky Forums history.

Agreed, ENS has produced some awesome mathematicians.

In terms of school level Math, no one beats Russian students.

Russia >China >France=USA

>Never seen a black guy in a science class at a high grade uni
That's because all the smart ones go to prestigious institutions in America and make $$$

>According to census data, almost 40% of Nigerian Americans hold bachelor's degrees, 17% hold master's degrees, and 4% hold doctorates, more than any other ethnic group in the nation.
>A disproportionate percentage of black students at elite universities are immigrants or children of immigrants. Nigerian immigrants have the highest education attainment level in the United States, surpassing every other ethnic group in the country
>In the 2015–2016 academic school year, 10,674 Nigerian immigrants studied in the U.S. which was the highest number in 30 years and the highest number from any African country.

They typically go for medicine, business and petrochem.

prepa, and ENS/top engineering schools.

In prepa, there are dedicated teachers for math and physics. They don't do research, they don't use fucking presentations, they just teach and treat you like shit (in a coaching sense) until you become good.

What are some of the breakthroughs achieved at these universities? What areas of math and physics were developed primarily in Africa?

>Frenchies are math god
>never heard that stereotype
Get out of Veeky Forums. You don't belong here.

>He thinks we are in 1980.

French ppl here, future math teacher.

Our school system really favors mathematics, and does not really care about who's left behind. It is socially accepted, even sometimes valorized to be "bad at maths", but being good at it means you can do anything you want, which is not the case for other domains, all very restrictive in term of future possibility.
Moreover, we got some really, really good school for student who are good at math, pushing them to becoming even better. For one of these students, governement spending is 14 times what it is for an undergrad.

So our good students are really good at maths, making excellent research or olympiad beasts, but the mean level is pretty shit.

Because math is for faggots.

France had the best environment for scientists and mathematicians when developing modern math was the next natural and important step

West-African high school students from former French colonies (well, basically only Senegal, Benin, Togo and Cameroon) actually tend to do better in math and science than your average French high school student. This is mainly due to the fact the French programmes from which they inspired have been "dumbed down" (more like diversified imo) quite a lot for the past 20 years, while it remained the same in Africa.
Obviously the universities aren't that great though. They lack infrastructures, many smart students either move to first world countries or can't pay the university fees, they don't make enough money to attract the best researchers and professors, they can't get the material, books and publications they need...

>So our good students are really good at maths, making excellent research or olympiad beasts, but the mean level is pretty shit.
You have described pretty much nearly every country in the western hemisphere.
Even here in Brazil we have that. Most people are bad at math and refuse to learn it, whereas there is a few people who are really good at it. One of the 2014 Fields Medal winners is a brazillian.

Actually he was a franco-brazilian

arabic heritage

The blessing of bogdanoffs