Brainlet

>brainlet
>calc1 required for major (forestry)
>class average for first test is 43%
>3 tests + final, no EC or dropped tests
>"well the first test wasn't very good, but dont worry guys if you study hard and do well on the other two tests and the final you can still pass!"
>collective face of the class

how do you bribe a professor? I was thinking about $10 per 1%, so it would be $760 for a passing C. Would this work? If I just put a bunch of twenties in an envelope, I could just deny everything. This is literally my last prereq, I just need to pass this class before I can transfer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mC8Vh76vy0w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>forestry
wut
Is there a curve or is this some sort of calc 1 for """"""forestry"""""" majors (read: brainlets)?

under normal circumstances you would only need to take forestry brainlet calc (READ: applied calculus for the life sciences) but since my area doesn't have anything like that, regular calc1 must suffice. The only reason calc is even required for forestry is because its a blanket req. for ALL life sciences, since apparently biology etc. uses it, I guess

I know and have talked to over 17 people working in my future industry, not a single one used calculus past college, it simply isn't required when you have a computer. Doing mapping? computer handles it. field samples? not used. controlled burn? c o m p u t e r

I am the only person in the entire class who isnt engineering/CS. I almost want to make the case to the professor, but I'm not sure if it will offend them that I really just want a C in the class to fill a bullshit req. and get back to studying trees

Suck his member. Make him forget about heterosexuality. If that doesn't work out, you now have a career in prostitution. Congrats.

as a followup, the main argument FOR calculus in the life sciences mostly has to do with change over time, whether it be population growth, or whatever. However, you don't need to know how to take a derivative, only know that you are solving for a rate of change.

2 stats classes > 1 stats + 1 calc
this is true for basically any life science, as long as you understand what a rate of change is

also, how do i not fail calculus? I currently have a 55% and am going crazy, the second test is on tuesday. the prof loves to give gimmick tests that are infinitely more difficult than any material present in the book or lessons

>throws class softballs like finding second derivative of (2x^2 - 3)
>test has second derivative of csc(x^1/2) - x/(tan(x2))
kill me

What do Americans even learn in Calc 1,2,3? Eurofag here, I learned about derivatives and integrals starting from the second year of high school. Then in the third year I got to learn product rule, quotient rule and the chain rule.

Calc 1 encompasses everything you just listed plus things like the shell/washer method. also a big emphasis on limits (at least at my school) . calc 2 is sequences/series, a brief introduction to DE's, and a few numerical integration techniques. calc 3 was all that stuff rehashed in higher dimensions.

Calculus I is typically differential calculus up to (but not including) the natural logarithm and increase trigonometric functions, as well as integral calculus up to (but not including) integration by parts. Mine also did some stuff with polar coordinates, implicit differentiation, and solids of revolution, but not everyone I've talked to covered those topics.

Calc II is whatever's left of single variable differentiation, series and sequences (usually to develop Taylor series), integration techniques like partial fraction decomposition and integration by parts, calculus in polar coordinates, and probably done important theorems like the intermediate value theorem.

Calc III is vector calculus, up through Stokes' theorem.

givem da succ!

have you tried not being a fucking brainlet? calc 1 is baby easy jesus

Calc 1 is fucking easy. Even a brainlet should be able to do it. There are literally retards that can do calc 1 problems.

Do your homework and ready here book.

Stop being a lazy faggot wasting time on 4chen

anyone teaching calc 1 is poor as shit and horribly underpaid and $760 is, like, more than half of what they get for teaching the class so, yeah, that would probably work

t. someone who has taught calc

>I learned about derivatives and integrals starting from the second year of high school. Then in the third year I got to learn product rule, quotient rule and the chain rule.
Jfc you complain about american schools being easy bc calc isnt required but then you spend an entire year doing 2 months worth of content. i mean what do you do your entire second year just drill incredibly simple derivatives and integrals ad nauseam

No the system is just split up for some stupid reason. First you learn basic derivatives, then basic integration and a little bit och trig at the end of year 2. During the fall semester of year 3you learn more advanced rules such as product rule etc.

holy fuck lmao

"forestry" majors everyone

Work through the book and do every problem, there's no way you can fail.

Kys fag

this desu

youtube.com/watch?v=mC8Vh76vy0w

ahushy hushy

Im assuming youre not allowed to use calculators? If you are buy something with any cas calculator and use it to bullshit your way through OP. Calc 1 really isnt that bad though. I learned pretty much the entire curriculum for my uni in two days watching khan academy a year or two ago.

>class average for the first test was allegedly below 50%

At what point is it the fault of the professor that students are failing? If the content is easy, could it be that the content is not being taught in a way conducive for the students to learn?

Derivatives are trivial at this level, integrals may require so thought based on method required, but derivatives should be fairly trivial.

Nigguh thats not even bad, 25% passed my electrodynamics class.

>below failing for an introductory level calculus class isn't bad

I could understand if you had a terrible class average for higher level undergrad, but if you have a significant portion of the class failing from pre-algebra to calc1, the teacher is not presenting the ideas correctly.

Im from yurop, and 50% is ok here. We don't realy have finals here though, you get a second chance to retake the exam the same year, and if you fail that one you can do it again next year.

In america you don't have the concept of blanket "retake the test". SOME classes will offer extra credit for doing extra work, usually a pittance amounting to less than 5%, SOME classes might drop the lowest test, or replace it with the % you received on the final, as it shows that you learned the previous concepts, and SOME classes will curve tests/final grades within reason.

Some classes don't do any of that and it's just midterm+final and what you get is what you get.

Well that sucks, that's probably the reason you curve grades in USA.

>method required

not for fucking calc 1

It really depends, in most cases where the class would benefit from curving, there is always one person who is taking the course over again, or is taking something far beneath them. I remember taking a political science gen.ed. requirement and got 120% in the class, which meant that if it was curved, people who previously had a B in the class would have a D.

If restricting it to curving at 100% or below, most of the time you end up getting ~7% on any given assignment, which seems fair if the teacher uses their own tests, as generally they will have a few gimmicky questions or errors on them.

Thats interesting, down here we dont get any % for assignments in like 99% of the courses. We do the exam and thats the grade. Usualy theres like 2-3% that get A, 5-7% that get B, 10% get C, 15% get D and 20-25% get E, the rest fail.

You're not studying if you're having trouble with those, but in all seriousness, if your grade is 55/100 and your don't know how to do those two derivatives, drop before it's too late and go back the algebra. Derivatives are the simplest section in calc 1. Intervals and infinite limits, lhopitals, and related rates are gonna drop your grade even more.

what the fuck is an E? and 40% of the class fails?

sounds utterly retarded, no wonder all the best universities are in the US

E is a passing grade in Europe, i know guys that are happy to get E's.

>over half of students fail any given course in yurop
That can't be true.

I did not say any-given course. Im saying on average for undergrad courses.

>over half of students fail in undergrad courses in yurop
That can't be true.

It is here in sweden, you can check my previous post where i talk about re-exams.

wtf is a re-exam

Well, here in Sweden you have one 5-hour exam per course, and if you fail you get to try again once in the same year. If you fail that you have to re-take the course but it's not mandatory, you can just retake the exam next year.

Just go to his office hours and ask him straight up how much of a bribe he wants.

Professors are used to this, he'll probably close his door and start negotiating with you.

For the more difficult one, you have to know the quotient rule. That is just gonna be something that you will have to memorize. Remember what trig functions like csc(x) are, just 1/sin(x). Then lastly, dont forget the chain rule if there is a function of x inside a function. Things like the derivative of tangent are again just something you will have to know.

Learned all of that and various applications in the finance industry in 1 quarter.

i don't understand how product rule isn't basic

did you even TRY to solve those?

brainlet here

yes, but we had only been studying calc for three weeks. I am able to solve them now, but at the time we had only learned how to do half the test the previous class session. compared to the other classes, we are blazing through the required units, about 2 ahead of the other classes in a course that requires 7

#justbrainletthings
i've been hitting the books nonstop, and am feeling more confident with my abilities

I agree that it is basic, but instead they only teach you how to find the derivative of polynomials, exponential and power functions