Veeky Forums is a meme board

Lets be honest guys, there is very little reading being done here by anybody. If someone does read something besides the 10-20 ancient meme books it is instantly derided as pleb material and the OP is laughed at and memed to death.

The suggestions in the sticky are a joke and its plainly obvious that much of Veeky Forums hasn't read any of the books aside from the few meme books that are talked about.

/v/ discusses the newest video games
/a/ discusses the newest anime

And then you get to Veeky Forums and they are still discussing the same old books they started with. Theres nothing new ever being discussed. No best book of 2016 or this is releasing in two weeks who has preordered threads. Simply the same books and wanking of philosophers, sure its fine to discuss older books, but its gotten to the point where only about 20 books can be discussed and everything else is "pleb"

The most reading that is done on this board are the people posting in the sci-fi/fantasy general. The only place here that seems to read and enjoy their books, but of course they are just plebs.

This board needs to shape up.

>tfw all I use Veeky Forums for is to post race-bait and anti-women threads

Is this going to be the new sticky?

>No best book of 2016 or this is releasing in two weeks who has preordered threads.
Wow, maybe it's because unlike your shitty hobbies (anime and video games), literature isn't based on selling products

Oh yeah I forgot its about pretending you are superior for reading.

>anime
>'vidya'

Seriously, kill yourself.

Do you have a 'Pepe' folder as well?

Literature is an immensely older field than video games and anime are, and there is a lot of lit that has proven its worth over centuries and even millennia
But you are right that there isn't much interaction with newer literature, and also the discussion of older lit is often a) not very deep and b) not well supported by the community

Veeky Forums takes refuge in irony to avoid exposing itself. Books take longer than music or movies, to be fully appreciated, therefore Veeky Forums doesn't want to take the risk of being perceived as pleb by endorsing a new book that might fall in either side of the spectrum. Also, Veeky Forums takes a position of comfort when it dismisses things as pleb, especially if it does so with violent disdain.

No I don't or I would respond with some, but point still stands that those boards are on topic. They discuss the newer stuff while also occasionally looking back and discussing the old.

Oh look. Another useless thread from an off-boarder.

Most posts are useless.

lmao nice bait id give it a 6/10

>comparing literature to anime and video games

lel

Veeky Forums is Ignatius J. Reilly.

Veeky Forums doesn't need to do shit.

People like you need to take your haughtiness and fuck right off to some other place where it'll be welcomed. You can't see the beauty of Veeky Forums, and you will forever be condemned to an existence without it.

It's Veeky Forums, what can you do to fix it? It'll always be this shitty, and there's nothing else to do but to submit, and become frogposters ourselves.

There's a lot more to older books than just 20 books. The problem isn't just that Veeky Forums reads old books, the problem is that Veeky Forums favors certain movements to the exclusion of everything else. Want to discuss Hemingway or Steinbeck? TOO BAD HE'S AN AMERICAN BEFORE POSTMODERNISM THAT ISN'T MELVILLE. Want to discuss Jane Austen? TOO BAD SHE'S A WOMAN. Want to discuss The Catcher in the Rye? TOO BAD HE RAPES HIS SISTER TROLOLOL.

Also, books are a time consuming medium. Television and video games are comparable in terms of time sinks, but they are consumed in different ways. With television you're only watching 20-60 minutes a week (unless you binge watch) and video games simultaneously have a shorter time period of existence (30-40 years) as well as an audience that gives zero shits about video games that are "historically important." When was the last time you played an 80-hour long role-playing game from the 90s or 80s because it had a significant impact on the development of the medium, OP?

Even "pleb" genres of literature have much more significant history behind them than something like video games. Do you like science fiction or horror? You've got at least 200 years of books to explore.

Incidentally, /a/ would actually be a much better board if it discussed seminal films from the 80s and 90s (Ghibli etc.) than it is currently, discussing the shittiest slice of life shows on the face of the planet.

Veeky Forums is pretty bad, but if you're coming here for serious literary discussion you're in the wrong place. Come to Veeky Forums for ideas on what to read, that is pretty much all it's good for. I will admit I discovered Pynchon, Joyce and more through here.

As far as nobody actually reading on here you need to speak for yourself. I read all the time.

>Theres nothing new ever being discussed. No best book of 2016 or this is releasing in two weeks who has preordered threads.

At least for America, a lot of contemporary fiction is pretty bad.

>I will admit I discovered Pynchon, Joyce and more through here.

You're part of the cancer that is slowly killing the little remaining life left here.

> Implying people at Veeky Forums actually read books.

Expose yourself then, mention authors you like.

Why?

Henry Miller
Boccaccio
Kafka
Rabelais
Mann

>Pynchon

Because user takes the comfortable position of superiority brought by their rejecting of anything you deem as good.

>implying the canon isn't a lifetime's worth of reading
>implying non-canonized works are worth reading

Veeky Forums was never good you galactic faggot. It's worse now with all the /pol/ infiltration but it was never good to begin with.

I've been here since 2010~11, when Veeky Forums actually used to fellate DFW. Nostalgic AF tbqh.

This is really what it seems like to me. Veeky Forums latches on to a few old authors and maybe they do read their books or maybe they don't but it seems discussion is always on an authors personal life or a singular quote or idea the author had and not actually a full discussion of their work.

>Kafka

Pffft pleb.

fuck off, imposter

Kafka
Salinger
Dostoevsky
Vargas Llosa
Hemingway
Steinbeck
Melville

etc.,etc.

The only problem with Veeky Forums is lazy americans who read only english literature

It's because those authors are safe bets on what to like to be perceived as well-read.

I wonder if you could replace all the meme authors here with contemporary literature and still have the same quality of discussion. It seems like discussion is so shallow it honestly could be.

What discussion? A big percentage of things posted are people shitting (with no argument) on other people for liking an author,or even attempting to create a thread to discuss them.

hemingway threads have been all over the place lately, lit must be going to shit

>Gaddis
>Gass
>DeLillo
>Pynchon
>Joyce
>DFW
Get on my level fagg0ts.

Kek jk. They're not bad but I have the tastes of a real man, not a walking meme:
>Fyodor Dostoevsky
>Franz Kafka
>Lewis Carroll
>Turgenev
>Goethe

Well thats Veeky Forums mostly. You are never going to have a lot of great discussion here on a regular basis. If you replaced canon lit with contemporary lit as thread topics, it would probably increase the depth of discussion because people would actually read them.

Whom do you like better, Dosto or Turgenev?

>When was the last time you played an 80-hour long role-playing game from the 90s or 80s because it had a significant impact on the development of the medium, OP?

>implying people don't play old games all the time

cry more fag, try to discuss any works not written in english