Pressure-tested to destruction.

>a seam around the middle

>fails at seam

hahahahahaha

What am I looking at?

Proof?

That is to be expected, right?

What do you mean, "Proof?"?

It takes like five seconds to search this out. First shot is showing off that they had built the tank, second shot is after they were done with testing it on a barge. They declared it had met the pressure goals, then they sent it back out for more testing and it came back in pieces. It was obviously tested to destruction.

This exact thread was posted less than 3 weeks ago, go fuck yourself OP you aren't getting me to take the bait this time

Unless you want to control how it fails, normally you try and build the seam to be a little stronger than the rest, because it won't affect the mass all that much and a seam is a likely place for defects.

They might have designed it to fail at the seam in the event of overpressure to put some distance between the point of failure and anything else (like the other propellant tank, or the upper stage, and maybe even the passenger compartment, if they've got some secondary abort option in mind).

obviously bad seams

>It was obviously tested to destruction.
Proof?

It was the second test of the tank a few months ago. Someone got some crappy cell phone pics of it when it was shipping out, which I neglected to save and haven't managed to find again. The tank was in a cryogenic state at departure. The next time we saw the fuel tank, it was the deflated mess in the second picture. It's believed the fuel tank failed its cryogenic pressurization test by coming apart at the seam between the two halves.

Elaborating on this post, it's not known whether or not destruction of the demonstration article was an objective of the test.

Oh I remember this.

How's it going Janickibro?

Is there another plausible explanation for what could happened to that tank except for pressure testing?

Slipped on banana peel

your mom

Sometimes pressure testing is intended to be something a tank survives.

Whether they said "fuck it, let's just keep pumping more pressure into it until it blows!" or "OK, now for round two, let's re pressurize it and hope it survives again!" is something I do not know. I doubt anybody here knows, though both sides assert knowledge of this constantly on Veeky Forums,

Rapid unscheduled destructive test.

thanks!