Music Theory literature thread

Music Theory literature thread

Other urls found in this thread:

rcboe.org/cms/lib010/GA01903614/Centricity/Domain/1224/Music in Theory and Practice.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=_z3b5fSDimI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't know if this fits here, but it was definitely an interesting read
Especially the stuff on how people used to think about music, for example on the tierce on a scale, someone in early medieval times wrote that when played a major C scale C-D-E, the tierce has a urging, masculine form that wants to go forwards towards F#, but the C minor scale's tierce E has a fearful, feminine form that wants to go back to D (no pun intended)
But it really feels like the major tierce pushes you forwards, encourages you to play the higher note, whilst the minor tierce feels attracted to the note played before.
I had never thought that certain musical components would have their own preferences

You sold it to me quite nicely, anyone learning notes here?

Boethius - De Musica
Burgess - This Man and Music

Newish to music here, why do some scales start at e and work there way up?
Also, on guitar, each fret is half a step up on the scale, or majoring/minoring a note. How do I write on the staff another e# so I don't confuse it with another ?

Can you rephrase your questions? I'd like to help, but I genuinely can't understand.

My Top 5:

Johann Joseph Fux - The Study of Counterpoint (where everyone from haydn to now has learned counterpoint)

Harry Partch - The Genesis of a Music (Most intense rethinking of music I've seen, and Partch is also my boy)

William Duckworth - Virtual Music (gets all on some real crazy early 2000s internet music theory, which was super related to my undergrad thesis and also the dopest)

DJ Spooky (Paul Miller) - Rhythm Science (great for sampling theory / electronic music theory)

DFW / Mark Costello - Signifying Rappers (good hip hop theory stuff)

How would I note one major or minor being different than another? If there can be multiple e minors, how do I know which one to play?

Sorry if a stupid question. Kind of old, used to play trombone but that's a whole other ball park from a guitar

Lowest string on guitar is E, so it's sometimes easier to start from there?

and if I think im getting u right, you want to figure out notes in diff octaves on the staff? Just keep going up - every line/space is a whole step.

also E# is only really used in certain scales - I would stay away from it for now if you're just starting. Call it F

Does anybody have recs for foundational music theory books? I play music by ear, my theory knowledge only extends so far as basic chords and scales.

rcboe.org/cms/lib010/GA01903614/Centricity/Domain/1224/Music in Theory and Practice.pdf

there is a volume 2 but i just remember seeing this as a pdf

I'm a different person, but I think I understand your question. In a given scale there are seven notes, in the case of E minor they are E, F#, G, A, B, C, and D. You may learn one way to play the E minor scale on guitar, but that is not the only way. You can play those notes an octave higher, or two octaves higher, or anywhere. It's all the same scale, just different fingerings. If someone told you to play an E minor scale, then the matter of which fingering to use is ambiguous. You just pick a fingering that is comfortable. I hope that helps.

i think you might be confusing major/minor with sharps/flats. also octave designation will probably help you out.

youtube.com/watch?v=_z3b5fSDimI

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation

"How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony: And Why You Should Care" is another interesting introduction to temperaments and their development

Charles Rosen's The Classical Style is a must if you want to truly understand and enjoy the music of that era.

Also classical music major AMA I guess.

I respect that but I gotta ask

what the fuck will you do with that degree?

Honestly user, I wish I knew. I'm looking into becoming a music theory professor at a conservatory or being appointed choir conductor somewhere because those jobs still pay.

It's a shame, because the government is cutting down so much on funding of the arts and at the same time making the rules much stricter to the point where you cannot possibly make a living as a music teacher or anything associated with the arts.
Most of my friends are planning to migrate abroad where there is sufficient opportunity to thrive.

tl;dr it's fulfilling but you cannot possibly make a living from it anymore.

>fux
Good choice my goy.

I'd add

Rameau's Traité de l'Harmonie Réduite à ses Principes Naturels
and
Koechlin's Précis des Règles du Contrepoint

where do they plan to go? What countries offer sufficient pay?

Any good books on microtonal theory

>>>r/music

The majority are going to Germany

Are you interested in 20th century classical or traditional music? I'm not sure if there's anything written on the former, since the majority of composers have their own way of applying it.

>CRTL + F
>"adorno"
>no results

I'm proud of you guys.

>CTRL+F
>"adorno"
>2 results after my post

fucking disappointed in you guys

Fundamentals of Musical Composition - Arnold Schoenberg

reading it right now lad

Who are you quoting?

Is this a joke?
Is your retardation supposed to be the punchline?

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." - Zappa

That would make a good ballet
Thanks, Frank

Sounds like a 14yo trying to sound smart

>the C minor scale's tierce E
>C minor
>E

Study your music theory harder bud

Apparently C maj has an F# now too and doesn't share like at least 4 out of 7 notes with the minor.

Srs, wtf with that post. I'm guessing the book says something about sus4's but the guy's totally misunderstood?

The tierce in C minor is the third note from the base note C-D-Es as in a degraded E, lower E, D#, I don't know what it's called in english. I wrote pic related in original post, but the lowering mark doesn't seem to be allowed on Veeky Forums

sorry, mixed up with lydian, meant to say towards F. (haven't played anything in a while, don't crucify me)

what the fuck means with that??

It means that shitposting about music is like making a film out of a book

Eb, E flat.

>mixed up with lydian
Don't confuse modes with major and minor either. It's Ionian and Aeolian in that case.

Free advice: you're trying to run before you can crawl here, I would suggest looking at some real basics before going any further.

It means that Rolling Stone are doing nothing more profound than what people do at discos and parties and what not.

see You're getting confused by adding more complex theory to the basics.

Learn what a major scale is. Modes are just its inversions. Instead of picturing modes as based on C but with different accidentals, picture them as inversion of the C major scale. There doesn't have to be any accidental in any mode.

Although wikipedia may say otherwise, there's no such thing either as a "lydian mode".

It is a phrygian mode in G major, like if you started your C major scale on E.

>quoting Zappa
Easiest way to spot a music pseud

"Why does it hurt when I pee?"

This was actually a quote about music journalism. Zappa was extremely well read when it came to music theory, he just thought that music journalism was vapid

yeah, he's completely right. music journalism is cancer.

Anthony Fantano uses great adjectives to describe semi popular music.

I studied jazz performance and philosophy, then went to law school

>government funded arts

Not what you want.

Learn a trade, stand on your own two feet. Compose wildly every night without fear of what happens after your grant runs out.

>Zappa was extremely well read when it came to music theory
This sentence made me cringe so hard

why? because he was

Compared to most rock musicians of that time at least.