Virtue

>virtue
>pursuit of knowledge
>truth
>manliness
>homosexuality

all of the greek philosophical works I've read are repetitive, meandering, and generally unfruitful. Do I really have to force my way through these if I want to understand more interesting philosophy? would there be a problem if I skipped directly to Renaissance philosophers? so far I've read Crito, Apology, Phaedo, Republic, Symposium, and half of Nicomachean Ethics

Other urls found in this thread:

oyc.yale.edu/classics/clcv-205/lecture-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

unless ur doing a philosophy degree, it's not worth the time, the greeks had a lot of dumb, but influential ideas, just read a survey to get the gist

All that matters if that you are genuinely interested in philosophy. GREEKS is not about getting the hidden in jokes, it's about understanding clear sight references in order to understand the argument.

If the philosophy thtat interests you makes no obvious references to Greeks, you don't need the Greeks. If the philosophy keeps making ambiguous references that may or may not presuppose having read the Greeks, you don't need the philosophy.

t. ernest

What the fuck are you expecting? Philosophy is not about finding a guy who wrote a book that you can live your stupid life by. If you don't read Plato and Aristotle you won't understand the rest of western philosophy

Yeah nah you're a bigot. If you don't read Plato and Aristotle (and Descartes and Hume) you won't know the context of a Kant sperging out, but his sperging out will still be comprehensible, you will still understand premise and conclusio. It's not the job of an OP but of an Aristotelian or empiricist etc. to supply a counterargument if Kant's representation of it (which he MAKES and you can READ in his BOOK) is flawed.

Of course this requires being interested in actual philosophy, actual rational argument rather than history of philosophy "wittgenstein btfo this nietzsche btfo that" that makes up 99% of this board.

>Renaissance
>philosophers
Choose wisely

>all of the greek philosophical works I've read are repetitive, meandering, and generally unfruitful.

Welcome to Philosophy

>all of the greek philosophical works I've read are repetitive, meandering, and generally unfruitful
t. pseud

just give up

>would there be a problem if I skipped directly to Renaissance philosophers?
Nope.

In my opinion I'd recommend you Exercise patience, get yourself a companion reader like the Cambridge edition and finish Plato and Aristotle. You won't regret the investment of time. It's foundational to everything that comes later.

I understand the redundancy of ND and ED. It's tough, digresses, and somewhat obvious but important nonetheless.

NE and EE .., fat fingered that note

if you don't enjoy reading it then don't read it, I'll never understand what's so complicated about this concept, fucking modernists.

The trick is to read philosophy horizontally rather than vertically. So instead of chronologically surveying a bunch of shit you won't remember anyway, pick one philosopher you like and read as much as you can about that one guy, all his works, secondary sources, critical assessments, etc. This continues until mastery or boredom, then you do another. You pick up the vertical, chronological, history-of-phil, who-influenced-whom shit along the way.

this is a great post

t. neetcheese fanboy

This. You really have to reprogram your mind from the way you probably learned philosophy in college. Philosophy shouldn't feel like a chore

Why do you want read the Greek Philosophers? Why do you want to read Renaissance writers?

A good way to skip The Greeks is to read Avicenna (The Book of Healing). He has the best understanding of Greek thinkers out of any other philosopher and is a much better segue to Descartes and other Renaissance thinkers.

I have to agree with this.

oyc.yale.edu/classics/clcv-205/lecture-1

Professor Donald Kagan explains why people should study the ancient Greeks. He argues that the Greeks are worthy of our study not only because of their vast achievements and contributions to Western civilization (such as in the fields of science, law, and politics) but also because they offer a unique perspective on humanity.

>but also because they offer a unique perspective on humanity.
So does third wave feminism

Stop reading the Greeks from such a modern perspective, OP. You ruin the lesson that way. To read the Greeks properly, you have to explore their vision of the world and their relationship to it as people and as a community. First of all,
all of the Greeks are auditory experiences, reading them as translated books is hardly learning them at all - certainly not enough to >green text a tldr.

Why don't you read some of the lesser known works and try out their romances? Since the heavy stuff is too dull for you.