What are some good Cyberpunk books, Veeky Forums?

What are some good Cyberpunk books, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_ulli7T-xPE&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My diary desu

my diary, desu

The Sprawl Trilogy, Snow Crash, and the Mirrorshades anthology

My diary, desu

Obv do androids dream of electric sheep - K dick

youtube.com/watch?v=_ulli7T-xPE&feature=youtu.be

pretty new collection. never read.

I do'nt know desu

I'm not interested in the genre but if you are, I gather Neuromancer by William Gibson is a seminal work

Avoid Bruce Sterling and Neal Stephenson, along with all "cyberpunk" written after 1995 more generally. A "cyberpunk" novel from the late 90s is like a space opera from 1985, a mannerist rehash of a few Hugo winners.

So I see a couple of suggestions in this thread, but there has to be more contributors to this genre than three authors.

Is it really that limited?

>avoid Bruce Sterling

Schismatrix (get Schismatrix Plus and any other shaper/mechanist material) is good, the Dead Media project is good: he has some newerish videos on youtube for it

I agree Neal Stephenson is simply trash, he writes like a 12 year old autistic boy

There is no such a thing.
Take that from a Cyberpunk fan

The problem with Gibson is that, if you are familiar with th genre you will only find genre staples, cliches and overdone stuff.
Of course, a lot of the stuff didn't even exist before Gibson, but for a modern audience is easy to miss it.

Add the Bridge trilogy to this and you've read what the genre has to offer

newer Gibson like All Tommorrow's Parties and Spook Country are good novels of his and drop the 80s cyberpunk kitsch features in favor of contemporary issues and possibilities

to add to this Pynchon's "Bleeding Edge" fits among those novels, and is extremely evocative of the times it talks ie 1998-2003, I would call it post-cyberpunk

Did Gibson learn to write intelligible prose in his later years?

anyone who trashes early Gibson fails to understand how mind-blowing and ominously stage-setting Neuromancer was to its readers and their world

in the 60s and 70s new age gurus spouted how psychedelic drugs were going to free the world of its mental shackles and liberate the gaian soul; Neuromancer wakes up from that delusion in a world where corporations keep their employees on a leash with mass-manufactured narcotics

similarly computers and robots were going to liberate us from necessity and menial labor; everyone in Gibson's novels is a slave to cyberspace

this was in 1984; the world wide web didn't exist yet, the cube farm hell of office design was only a newborn, and virtual reality was something only people in the CS field knew of

Surprised no Altered Carbon in here. Great book. I prefer it to the Sprawl Trilogy and Snow Crash.

I didn't actually mind Snow Crash despite Veeky Forums saying it sucks, but it's definitely written in the autistic "I'm so smart, you thought that was hardcore, now check out THIS out" sense.

It's a lot more tolerable (but I read translations).

Can you guys make a chart to stave off idiots like and ?

I mean I would but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Neuromancer is written in an impressionistic style that often borders on incoherence but that's what I fucking love about it. It's like an amphetamine-induced mania crossed with a sense of information overload. Gibson was definitely reading his Burroughs at that time.

Hardwired and Altered Carbon

Carlucci's Trilogy, by Richard Paul Russo
The Marid Audran Saga, by George Alec Effinger
The Takeshi Kovacs Trilogy, by Richard K. Morgan

>It's like an amphetamine-induced mania crossed with a sense of information overload.
This, I love that shit but I can easily see why someone wouldn't. It's especially enjoyable if you load yourself up on drugs before/while reading, dissociatives in particular really do the trick

One masterpiece is Richard Kadrey's Metrophage. Definitely worth seeking out and buying. Honestly, that book is 100% flawless, which I don't say offhandedly or lightly. It really is a perfect book, with the understanding that it's a cyberpunk noir crime novel. But for what it is, it's a fucking devestating killer.

this is me:

I really haven't read that much of it, honestly, but I've been getting somewhat into it recently

My preference goes somewhat along the lines of Altered Carbon = Neuromancer > Rest of the Sprawl Trilogy > Snow Crash > The Diamond Age from what I've read.

Most of what is recommended in here is great

Also mentioned Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs is the protagonist of it.).

Check it out after Neuromancer and maybe Snow Crash (regardless of Veeky Forums's hate for it, it is a famous book in the subgenre and influential. Maybe read Takeshi Kovacs stuff first, because Snow Crash is completely ironic and autistic in that sense)

i found the 2nd novel in the sprawl trilogy to be painful/vastly inferior to the 1st. the 3rd wasn't much better. neuromancer was great, though, of course. am i alone in this viewpoint?

I thought it was marginally better written, less interesting plot and concepts though, just less interesting. Less introduced, less revolutionary.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World