Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/writing/comments/50zgb0/post_your_opening_sentence/
wattpad.com/333242247-sylvarina's-forests
amazon.com/Tales-Insulan-Empire-Louise-Stanley-ebook/dp/B00W2EBU9C
reddit.com/r/transpassing/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is the point of this

okay... but why is god the enemy?

the image is from a thread where people share the opening line of their writing. Everyone is praising this cringy piece of shit

He made me who I am.

The last one is such a fucking dilettante it breaks my heart.

>Cause I'm tough, and I'm gruff, and I'm just one all-around grizzled jaded badass

t.leddit

Fedora.

the adult:child ratio on reddit probably more so than here favors the former.

Why are you browsing Reddit in the first place?

As gut-wrenchingly terrible as that opening line is, I've seen worse in our own critique threads here. Cross referencing the r/writing and Veeky Forums critique threads makes me think there's either a huge overlap or that the boards share more traits than they're willing to admit.

I'm sick of religious writing in general. New atheism makes me cringe. Praise tha lawd modern traditionalism makes me cringe.

Just tried to "ctrl-f" his profile to find this thread.

Half of his posts are on the writing subreddit showing off this one line, thinking he is incredibly clever with the attention he gets from the other fedoras on it.

I doubt he actually has the discipline to finish his book, let alone it being any good.

>My friends and clients know me as often being over critical

can already imagine a death note watching high school faggot saying this while stroking himself to scoring an intj on his 90th personality test

Holy.... I want more

don't get me wrong. I much prefer it here.

intp is more likely.

reddit.com/r/writing/comments/50zgb0/post_your_opening_sentence/

This thread is quite famous on Veeky Forums, I doubt he lurks reddit, he is just repeating stale memes.

Ohhh I must've not been online for the last thread. Lmao the fedora opener actually has "HELLO Veeky Forums" upvoted beneath it

i love these threads

went through the "holy i want more" person's profile. here's some of their writing:

wattpad.com/333242247-sylvarina's-forests

If nothing else, this makes me feel so good about myself as a writer. I'm just a beginner and still I would never write stupid shit like that.

This would unironically sell millions of copies if an editor cleaned it up and marketed it as young adult fiction.

Maybe this is why reddit cranks out published authors at such a high rate, their shit is trendy and easy to digest.

Redditers write gripping genre fiction. For that, this line ain't that bad. It grips, and reddit people like it then it succeeds at what it aims at.

i fear this is correct

Fucking Atheists, why haven't they killed themselves already if they know that there isn't a Hell waiting for them.

that opening line's not bad...

I mean... compare it to the our crit thread...

Hey, we don't all write cringeworthy bullshit about it.

Because there also isn't a Heaven waiting you dumb shit

Imagine how beautifully you could write if you could see into Heaven.

They mostly seem to be this edgy, in enemy territory and fighting for their lives against all odds type shit.

Very militaristic. Is this like a common opening for video games or something btw?

another post from the same guy in OP:
>I love anime and manga, but even these media run into issues sometimes.
>even these media run into issues sometimes

holy... i want more

Top kek reminds me of what I wrote in middle school to be frank.

Because they're all fedora-tipping FAGtheist loosers. I mean, come on, seriously, how could G-d possibly be the enemy? It says in THE BIBLE that He is only good. Pic related: typical FAGtheist.

I was in a fake writing club in school, and on the rare occasion that we shared work, everyone except for me churned out stuff like that. I was the guy who wrote 3000 words that went nowhere about an officeworker watching the rain outside his window and thinking about getting drunk after work.

>Tales of the Insulan Empire
where they no doubt are locked in an eternal war against their arch enemies, the Diabetas Federation

very good.

Imagine everyone here was a tripfag.

The bitterness and familiarity towards reddit of the posters creating these threads leads me to believe they're created by disaffected redditors looking to vent their fustration with reddit's culture. Can't we just go back to indifference towards reddit and stop these juvenile hate threads?

No brah, these are the memes of the present.
We can never return to the memes of the past, not truly.

Are you new? Go back to rebbit goes back several years.

Nice projection

Reddit is more than a website, its an ideology, its a disease. We are the burned children who must warn the others of its horror

His assessment is more than likely correct though.

I'm specifically talking about threads dedicated to reddit hate, which is more of a recent trend.

Why do you care?

But there is no God

How can these "people" be so happy and helpful?
It just seems so insincere.

Is that your only reason for staying alive? That you're afraid of a mythical eternal punishment? That's pretty sad desu. You didn't exist before you were born and you won't exist after you die. Doesn't matter what your feelings are on the matter or what you do with your life, the end is the end all the same. So make the most of it and write as many classics as you can put to paper.

I don't get why so many new atheist types are mad though. Faith doesn't bother me until it starts burning books or passing strict laws.

Reddit is obsessed with imaginary internet points. Being mean loses points. So they put on their bullshit masks and start sucking each other's dicks over it. Go to the tranny subreddit where they ask if they pass or not, a fucking bearded man in lipstick would get a million resounding "yes" answers.

It's on Amazon and Goodread and doesn't even have any ratings
amazon.com/Tales-Insulan-Empire-Louise-Stanley-ebook/dp/B00W2EBU9C

I agree only because it's the same thread being discussed every time. Highlighting bad writing is fun and can be beneficial, but it needs to be new; the first time this was posted I had a good laugh, but now it's repetitive and ironically mirrors what my experience browsing reddit was like.

>the tranny subreddit
can you post a link?
ain't nobody got time to trawl through that fucking site

it's for research purposes

>missing the gnostic underlying
wew

you saved that on your computer?
specifically so that years later you could make that post?

well played, in a way, i guess

reddit.com/r/transpassing/

They've also got asktransgender and lgbt and all the other lifestyle subs, but that's the one I was talking about.

I don't care though. There are better things to do.

from the name i had it down as some kind of hard sci fi

meh, it's a bit tedious, but i've read worse. clearly someone who's in thrall to neil gaiman, though.

It's more likely he got it from an archive.

>We have several competent mods here, and we all contribute to the workload, but every now and then a comment will be horribly inappropriate (you know what I mean) and it will sit there for 10 hours before a mod catches it. Then it will have 3 or 4 downvotes. The thing is, if the people who downvoted that comment had also hit the report button, it would have gotten taken down very quickly, and it may even get someone banned. So listen: we moderators do our best, but your input helps! Use the report button! I'd rather see 10 reported comments that are fine than let one slip through.

>Did you know that this subreddit has rules? It does! They are listed on the sidebar over there :point_right:.

>This sub has been referred to as a hugbox before, but it is certainly not meant to be; there are such places and we encourage you to seek them out if you need to. That said, there is a right way and a wrong way to offer criticism. Compare the following two sentences:

>"That shirt looks horrible on you."

>"You look horrible in that shirt."

>See that? The general meaning of the two statements is the same (you probably don't want to wear that shirt) but the impact is very different.

This is why I hate reddit, fucking cancer.

YOU ARE LITERALLY POSTING IN A REDDIT HATE THREAD RIGHT NOW GET THE FUCK OUT WITH THIS 'I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO' SHIT YOU ARE ON Veeky Forums FOR FUCKS SAKE LMAO

>competent
>mods

This is too complicated for me to comprehend

Oh boy, this thread again. Thanks for shitting up Veeky Forums in the eternal quest for (you)s, OP.

>waaaahhhh someone is shitposting on my safe space waaaahhhh

This is Trump's America now.

intj detected

Oh jesus does that first sentence hurt to read.

Why? It's not bad.

man this is terrible
makes me think the writers on Veeky Forums aren't that bad

>"Clear off, Pussy-Willow," came his brother's voice from behind him in the front passage between the back parlour and the shop-front.

I don't see a problem with this. It's funny. You're just a cunt

Holy... I want more...!

It's fine. It seems like it has intent. "Behind, front, back, front."

There's too much conflicting direction being described at once.
>from behind him in the front between the back
I've re-read it several times trying to parse it and it's still disorienting.

Jesus Christ that first sentence is a goddamn trainwreck, did this nigger even bother editing?

I think it was intentional.

I don't really like it either, but I also think if it was ascribed to Pynchon or someone no one would be thinking too much about it.

That's.... that's his OPENING LINE?
Jesus H.

It may be intentional but it's still poor writing. There's no purpose in making something painful to read in this context.

faggg
also nice dubs ;V

you just don't get it

Post opening paragraph of that story user
†††

Counting god is an afterthought.

this is a japanese imageboard dude

Kekkkkkkk

at least they are not miserable like us, right?

Better to be a sad Socrates than to be a happy pig :^)

Well said my good sir

*Tips Fedora*

LMAO
They'll run in circle for the rest of their lives

Socrates was pretty happy, bro, his daimōn made sure he never did anything wrong

he wasnt even sad when he was sentenced to death

I never said I was actually Socrates, he died like a thousand years ago you IDIOTS

This is "new sincerity" in action. You can see how earnest and supportive they all are.

It's fucking dreadful.

>I never said I was actually Socrates, he died like a thousand years ago you IDIOTS

Thanks for the spoiler, asshole.

the fuck are you goin on about man it's anime as fuck.

>how many location prepositions should I shove into this sentence?

reminder that not all atheists are smart

Maybe not all atheists are supremely intelligent.... but all religious people are certainly incredibly stupid. heh

Bring atheist by default makes you smart.