Tips for reading philosophy?

Tips for reading philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec
oyc.yale.edu/
studyblue.com/notes/note/n/late-classical-sculpture/deck/2770954
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stop spamming this board. We get it, you're 16 and you're trying to into philosophy. Limit it to one thread.

1. go to gen.lib.rus.ec
2 search for "the texts of early greek philosophy"
3. download and read
4 stick with it the book may seem tedious at first (half of the book is in greek so its not as long as it appears) also I usually skip the commentary.

buy a book
say the words that are on the page aloud or to yourself

open your eyes

search for philosophy on oyc.yale.edu/ and watch some videos

>subvocalizing

how can he open his eyes if they are only mirrors..............

baby steps, user, baby steps

>File: aphrodite prax.jpg
>Clearly Athena

yeah I'll change that I didn't name the file someone named isobel a. @ studyblue.com/notes/note/n/late-classical-sculpture/deck/2770954
did I think.

Don't blame a woman you coward.

This oughta do it

It makes me happy when people acknowledge Jesus as an important philosopher, especially with the fedora shit being thrown around lately online. Even if the mythology surrounding faith falls, Jesus's message will still remain.

Try taking a look at the Synopticon (vol 2 and 3 of Great Books of the Western World), it's basically a collection of essays on various "great ideas" which acts as a kind of living index for other great works of literature.

It's a great starting point for exploring a given topic in a focused, organized (maybe even objective, since many different viewpoints are discussed) way.

I'm surprised more people don't mention it here.

Arendt knew what was up

I reference these books anytime I start an essay --- more valuable than the entire great book series. I dare say -- the most important contribution from Mortimer Alder.

>Tips for reading philosophy?
Open a book. Begin with the first chapter. Scan your eyes from left to right, reading each word in sequence. Doing so will lead you to read sentences, which are components of paragraphs, which themselves are components of chapters or narrative breaks. Once you've finished all the chapters, you've finished the book. Go open another book and repeat this process.

Always remember, that you read the wrong way. There are six ways of reading (maybe I'm forgetting some)
Skimming - this is obviously the pleb way to read. If you skim through many books you might develop a psychosis or suffer from memory losses, you don't wanna do that
Passive reading - this one is common, but also not good. Reading passively (embracing the perspective of an author and delving into prose) won't do much good, but it helps some to fall asleep or waste some extra time
Active reading - reading a book with own opinions in mind, always keeping a journal and having your thought process very distinct. A fine way to read, most people stop at this phase and it takes them entire lives to just get this far
Analizing the text - reading all the reference literature, looking up unknown words in multiple dictionaries, having read the entirety of an author's oeuvre including his notes, journals, school assignments and debentures
Deep reading - nearly good way to read, at this phase you must be reading from right to left and from the bottom upwards, you should keep the entire text memorized
Rewriting - rewriting the entire text of the book. Obviously the sophisticated choice, includes correcting author's mistakes and improving the work

bump

stop after the greeks

>how to turn something I love into a chore

Phil student here.

Reread your book. Multiple readings of a text are a requirement for a "good" understanding.

Technical terms. Become familiar with them. Many philosophers use particular phrasing to denote something very specific.

Translations are important. Nearly every significant philosophical work was not written in 21th century English. Get a good understanding of what your translation does and does not do, especially when dealing with the Greeks.

Reiterate what you've read. It's helpful after you're done reading a section to try and repeat back to yourself, or another person the major points of what you've read. The more deeply you can explain it, the better of an understanding you actually have.

But if you also find this
too obscure, bear in mind that it’s not
necessary for everyone to study metaphysics, that many people have the aptitude to succeed very well in sciences (even deep ones) that are closer to sense-experience, yet can’t succeed in investigations dealing with highly abstract
concepts.. such people should employ their talents on other subjects.

I agree. I'd even go so far as to say it's one of the major contributions to western literature in the past century. I hope someone converts it into a digital format sometime soon (like a wiki) because that fine print is hard on the eyes.

yeah just one: don't.