Generational STEM

How many of you guys are first generation STEM, or higher level education in your families?

Does anyone have a STEM PhD in their nuclear family?

Does a STEM degree in the family increase the likelihood that their child will pursue a degree in STEM?

my mom is/was a white trash turboslut. i knew i was a product of a one night stand, but it wasn't until after i graduated engineering school that i found out my bio dad was a high level engineer at lockheed martin.

i'm the only one in my family to have ever graduated college.

anecdotal, but take it for what you will.

Thanks for sharing, I am actually looking for anecdotes like this.

My dad was a fireman until I was born, then he went to a sister school of a big university (basically a step above a community college but not up to par with a real uni) for programming
My mom has worked the same clerk job for the city police dept since she finished high school.
My mom's brother is a statistician though, with an IQ of 165, and has worked for Lockheed, and Boeing, and has worked as a contractor for a slew of unis, national labs, etc.

Wow mate.

I wouldn't say that about my mom, but I am the product of a one night stand, or very similar.

It was a big secret too my whole life, but I always suspected since my brother looks nothing like me.

Eventually was told (when I was 23 and my mom and step dad divorced), after much pressuring of my mom that, my biological dad was a con artist or something, made a lot of money but eventually got busted on some technicality. Anyway, he did his time in jail and got a degree in law. I'm studying math though, and wanna go into weapons development research. Might meet him one of these days when I've achieved something.

First of the family to get a college education, as my divorced parents both never finished high school and have been working as a bus driver (mom) and a car mechanic (dad) since their teens. Rest of the family mostly consists of highschool dropouts. I do appreciate the chance I have now to turn my life into something better by going to college. And I love my field (Biochem)

>i was a product of a one night stand
>my bio dad was a high level engineer at lockheed martin
top jej. engineers are just as savage as niggers.

My mom has a PhD in economics. I guess it's not really STEM but her thesis involved a lot of math. From what I understand she had to learn FORTRAN and take multivariate calculus, linear algebra, and dimensional analysis to do her thesis.

>Dad was a phd chemist
>I went to law school

I'm doing a STEM PhD. My parents both have undergrad degrees, dad has an MBA.

On my mother's side, grandparents didn't go to college. Aunts and uncles range from no college to MS in molecular biology (uncle dropped out of PhD program). On my father's side, grandparents had master's degrees.

I would guess that a STEM degree in the family does increase likelihood of children pursuing a degree, because of two reasons. First, the children would be likely to inherit some the intellectual capabilities requisite to pursue a PhD. Second, the children would be exposed to science and scientific research. My family is not uneducated, but I didn't know the first thing about the upper echelons of academia and training in the sciences and how this country farms elite scientific talent and what not.

My parents didn't finished HS. Some of my grandparents finished elementary school, some not.

I am a physics major.

It doesn't say much. My mom studied and has a PhD but she is not nearly as smart as my dad which wasn't able to study because of financial reasons yet he's been programming operating systems for mainframe manufactures like IBM for over 30 years.

Dad works in accounting, mom in the final assembly line of an aerospace company. Decided to become an engineer when I noticed mom makes more than dad and doesn't work nearly as hard. Now I make more than either of them.

I do, however, have a cousin who became an engineer 4 years before me, and another that's been a programmer for quite a while.

No.
No.
No.

for the latter, post sources if you can actually make that claim

Mt parents are both PhDs. I failed out of community college because of social anxiety and work as a server.

I make more money than them.

Parents are all RN's.
I'm a microbio major.

They make hella bank, but I have a way easier job. I maintain a vat of E coli that makes tryptophan and glycine. I'm thinking about opening up my own business and doing something similar but with leucine and isoleucine

I'm the only one that hasn't had kids before 20 though so there's that.

Hook me up with your dad, I want to intern at lockheed

No one in my extended family even has a degree. Doesn't make me feel special being in STEM though, since everyone has a degree these days.

Both my parents were from families of farmers in some east European shithole. I am to my knowledge the only one who made it into STEM (in my case physics) in my family.

And yes, to me it appears that it definitely is a family thing. If your closer family is a bunch of losers, then it's very likely that you'll end up as one as well. Most of my peers have parents who are in STEM as well. It's no coincidence.

Dad was an engineer and failed a math teacher exam at some point in his later career (but he hadn't done math in a while). He has a crazy memory and pretty good reasoning skills but he doesn't do much of anything science-related these days. He tried to teach me classical geometry when I was a kid but I found it super boring. Then at some point I understood why math was interesting on my own.
Mom is a secretary and couldn't perform logical reasoning to save her life, to the point where I sometimes wonder if she's messing with me but she is charismatic, kind of a neat freak, has great imagination (kinda paranoid), a great memory, great organizational and money skills etc.
I think she could have done much better with her life but she never had the chance to study during her childhood or teenage years.

Didn't know anyone smart growing up (no one with a degree other than teachers), was taught that maths was boring and hard and that I wasn't good at it, I went to a bottom 10 high school, I ended up doing physics. Never met my father, but apparently he's a pilot.

My grandfather was a civil turned environmental engineer but besides that nothing. Dad became a business man after going to an Ivy and rocketed the family into wealth for the first time in at least 4 generations, although acts like old money and raised me to act like that.

thats pretty cool user

My mom is a biology major but her work is that of a chemical engineer's. My dad is an accountant.

I'm studying Mechanical engineering