So the public radio in my country is talking about cellphones giving you cancer...

So the public radio in my country is talking about cellphones giving you cancer. As a poor neetfag I never bothered getting a cellphone and I'm paranoid as fuck when it comes to radiation so I don't even use wifi.

I was reading years ago that cellphones aren't supposed to make skin contact, you are supposed to keep them an inch or two away from your ear while talking, kind of like a walky-talky.

So what do normies do? They press it right against their ear, stare at it all day, and when not using it, they place it in their pockets next to their genitals.

So yes, it's the year 2017 and people are just realizing that everyone has been using cellphones improperly and has been giving themselves tumors.

What do you think about all this Veeky Forums? Are we in for a cancer / potato epidemic?

Like don't you agree that radiation is dangerous as fuck and should be avoided at all costs when one can?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3780531/
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891061815000599
bioinitiative.org/
cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet
bioinitiative.org/report/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/RFR-11_28-research-summary.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're either a retard, or this is shit bait.

>he doesn't know that radio waves and microwaves give you cancer

You know how radiation damages dna right? Minimizing your exposure reduces the risk of cancer.

Okay confirmed shit tier bait.

Congrats you got your (you)

The ELF to upper microwave band contains a number of higher activity windows, though as far as pulsed fields go (such as those used for digital transmission) most frequencies are generally biologically active.

In short, it activates voltage gated calcium channels (L-type especially), probably by acting on the charge groups that make up their voltage sensing subunit. This leads to chronically elevated intracellular Ca2+, increased activity of calcium dependent cellular machinery, an increase in NO production, which then reacts with superoxide to form peroxynitrite. This occurring at an increased rate, chronically, will ravage cells and quickly increase the probability that its repair machinery will either be inactivated, overwhelmed, or have an issue it cannot fix. This means either cancer or apoptosis, rarely necrosis. This occurs at both thermal and non-thermal intensities. Distance "matters", but generally if a cell phone is close enough to be used, it's too close. An argument could be made for line of sight as well, far as I'm concerned. If it can be seen or you can conceive of seeing a cell phone, it's too close.

VGCCs are also involved in dendritic spine growth and maintenance, as well as synaptogenesis. They regulate hormone and neurotransmitter release. Etc. Increased blood brain barrier permeability, cell death, reduced dendritic arborization, asynaptic neurons, etc are all observed after exposure. The evidence has existed for a long time.

It's too late now.

Wow sounds even more horrible when you break it down like that. Thanks, I guess I will live a bit longer.

> Like don't you agree that radiation is dangerous as fuck and should be avoided at all costs when one can?
I couldn't use a computer then.
I can't read braille :(

I'm waiting to see signs of decreased fertility, increases in birth defects, an increase in spontaneous abortion, and a massive increase in early onset dementia and alzheimers.

A lot of the mental problems people are having, which for years I attributed to various other factors, are probably primarily potentiated, if not cased, by increased microwave exposure. If nothing else, they aren't secreting melatonin and sleeping properly.

Some people are starting to question the "non-ionizing? No problem, 'cept for heat!" dogma. But it's too few and too late, and really from a larger perspective it's just part of the natural progression the human species goes through every time. The masses can never be spurred into motion until the damage has been done.

a big [citation needed] on your statistic?

my cheap ten dollar flip phone gives me a mild headache.

Even if cellphones could give you a brain tumor how the hell are the radio waves suppose to penetrate your skull?

Even if I was in a sublevel of a parking garage, how the hell could I make a call?

Even if I did use cell phones, how the hell am I supposed to get a signal if my head is between the phone and the tower? How has this never been tried and addressed?

Better keep your tinfoil on tight my friend ;-)

It'll just reflect if it's not grounded.

It's like the Higgs boson, it might be there but it's small and you need 50 years of massive statistics to lure it out.

I've done a compromise - do the easy things and don't worry until you hear more.
Think of it as the car seatbelt - the probability that you have a crash is small, but you use the seatbelt anyway *because it's easy* and the consequences if anything ever happens are massive.

The easy things:
1) Maximize hands-free using the phone speaker (no I'm not worried about hansds-free devices, I just know that I'm not going to deal with the hassle they bring).
2) Keep a piece of metal (tinfoil layered between two pieces of thin plastic is the cheap-o way) in your pocket, between the cell phone and your body, so it only radiates outwards.

EASY is the key word here.

It's basic physics that lower the frequency of EM, the better it penetrates. Read a book.
That's why radio waves go through a door but light doesn't.

>might be there
Is there. The mechanics have been established and epidemiological studies for the last 60 years have been incredibly consistent. Only difference is we're now seeing what used to be confined to predictable occupational exposure, out in the wild.

The "mights", where they don't belong, need to be wiped away. Uncertainty needs to get on the right page and reflect the available information. Right now it is artificially hung up in the same damn place it's been for a decade. Time to get with the times, ironically.

Good reviews:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3780531/
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891061815000599

People who agree:
bioinitiative.org/

Have an experimental study where these effects are seen at the power levels used in cellphones?

I'm op, my country now has warning signs put up at cellphone stores, warning people of the potential cancer risks.

I was just chillin in my car listening to them talk about it, which is why I made the thread.

The NIH doesn't seem convinced

cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

What country?

I'm a canucklefuck

I linked some reviews here:
Refer to the citations. The bioiniative site also refers to a lot of literature.

Otherwise searches on pubmed for GSM-900, wifi, etc, will bring up results.

No centralized body, especially in the US, has an opinion worth lending much weight. Especially where monetary (power) interests, or social controversy, is involved. They're systemically corrupt. In the case of the NIH, they're a glorified plundering / money laundering operation for pharmaceutical companies.

Can you link me to the primary literature directly please? I'm not seeing anything about cellphone range power in those narrative reviews.

Not off the top of my head.

Whether you have the desire to invest the time and effort into looking into things on your own will determine how much you're going to know or understand. It is no different here.

I refer you to the electromagnetic spectrum (see image).

All types of waves are found somewhere on the spectrum. The smaller the waves are the more likely they are to interact with small things i.e. nuclei/DNA.

Gamma rays we all recognize as being highly dangerous and implicated in all manner of cancers/radiation poisoning etc. Their wavelength is on the sub Angstrom level.

UV rays are also widely recognized as dangerous. UV rays are often associated with sun burns and skin cancers, but this is typically associated with high levels of exposure over long periods of time. Their wavelength is around 100 nm, about the size of a virus.

Visible light is considered completely harmless, with an exception for people suffering from migraines or hangovers. The wavelength of visible light is approximately 1 micron, the size of small cells.

While there has been repeated controversy around phones/wifi and cancer for decades, there has never been a single piece of evidence that tied the two together. The wavelength that a phone/wifi operates at is approximately 12 cm.

In short, you are in greater danger of contracting cancer from the light projected from the screen of a phone than from the waves transmitted to/from the phone itself.

Radiation isn't inherently dangerous. It is the wavelength (and consequent frequency) of the radiation that determines how much danger it poses.

>there has never been a single piece of evidence that tied the two together
Read the thread. You came to teach, and now you will be taught.

>Radiation isn't inherently dangerous
20 MW of any wavelength radiation will hurt you.

Power matters, that's why there is a 2W limit on cell phones. We're not talking about if it exists, we're talking about levels.

"We know your mother is a whore, all we're talking about anymore is the price."

Thermals (SAR) are largely irrelevant. Effects are observed at non-thermal levels far below "safety" standards for phones.

Standing in the sun for 10 minutes is more dangerous than a lifetime of holding your phone up to your head.

I'm just going to start dumping abstracts from:
bioinitiative.org/report/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/RFR-11_28-research-summary.pdf

This go-round has gone on long enough.

Aalto S, Haarala C, Bruck A, Sipila H, Hamalainen H, Rinne JO
Mobile phone affects cerebral blood flow in humans.
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 26(7):885-890, 2006.

Mobile phones create a radio-frequency electromagnetic field (EMF) around them when in use, the effects of which on brain physiology in humans are not well known. We studied the effects of a commercial mobile phone on regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF) in healthy humans using positron emission tomography (PET) imaging. Positron emission tomography data was acquired using a double-blind, counterbalanced study design with 12 male subjects performing a computer-controlled verbal working memory task (letter 1-back).
Explorative and objective voxel-based statistical analysis revealed that a mobile phone in operation induces a local decrease in rCBF beneath the antenna in the inferior temporal cortex and an increase more distantly in the prefrontal cortex. Our results provide the first evidence, suggesting that the EMF emitted by a commercial mobile phone affects rCBF in humans. These results are consistent with the postulation that EMF induces changes in neuronal activity.

Abdel-Rassoul G, El-Fateh OA, Salem MA, Michael A, Farahat F, El-Batanouny M, Salem E. Neurobehavioral effects among inhabitants around mobile phone base stations. Neurotoxicology. 28(2):434-40, 2007.

BACKGROUND: There is a general concern on the possible hazardous health effects of exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic radiations (RFR) emitted from mobile phone base station antennas on the human nervous system. AIM: To identify the possible neurobehavioral deficits among inhabitants living nearby mobile phone base stations. METHODS: A cross-sectional study was conducted on (85) inhabitants living nearby the first mobile phone station antenna in Menoufiya governorate, Egypt, 37 are living in a building under the station antenna while 48 opposite the station. A control group (80) participants were matched with the exposed for age, sex, occupation and educational level. All participants completed a structured questionnaire containing: personal, educational and medical histories; general and neurological examinations; neurobehavioral test battery (NBTB) [involving tests for visuomotor speed, problem solving, attention and memory]; in addition to Eysenck personality questionnaire (EPQ). RESULTS: The prevalence of neuropsychiatric complaints as headache (23.5%), memory changes (28.2%), dizziness (18.8%), tremors (9.4%), depressive symptoms (21.7%), and sleep disturbance (23.5%) were significantly higher among exposed inhabitants than controls: (10%), (5%), (5%), (0%), (8.8%) and (10%), respectively (P

[...]
Also, the inhabitants opposite the station exhibited a lower performance in the problem solving test (block design) than those under the station. All inhabitants exhibited a better performance in the two tests of visuomotor speed (Digit symbol and Trailmaking B) and one test of attention (Trailmaking A) than controls. The last available measures of RFR emitted from the first mobile phone base station antennas in Menoufiya governorate were less than the allowable standard level. CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS: Inhabitants living nearby mobile phone base stations are at risk for developing neuropsychiatric problems and some changes in the performance of neurobehavioral functions either by facilitation or inhibition. So, revision of standard guidelines for public exposure to RER from mobile phone base station antennas and using of NBTB for regular assessment and early detection of biological effects among inhabitants around the stations are recommended.

Aboul Ezz HS, Khadrawy YA, Ahmed NA, Radwan NM, El Bakry MM. The effect of pulsed electromagnetic radiation from mobile phone on the levels of monoamine neurotransmitters in four different areas of rat brain. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 17(13):1782-1788, 2013.

BACKGROUND: The use of mobile phones is rapidly increasing all over the world. Few studies deal with the effect of electromagnetic radiation (EMR) on monoamine neurotransmitters in the different brain areas of adult rat. AIM: The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of EMR on the concentrations of dopamine (DA), norepinephrine (NE) and serotonin (5-HT) in the hippocampus, hypothalamus, midbrain and medulla oblongata of adult rats. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Adult rats were exposed daily to EMR (frequency 1800 MHz, specific absorption rate 0.843 W/kg, power density 0.02 mW/cm2, modulated at 217 Hz) and sacrificed after 1, 2 and 4 months of daily EMR exposure as well as after stopping EMR for 1 month (after 4 months of daily EMR exposure). Monoamines were determined by high performance liquid chromatography coupled with fluorescence detection (HPLC-FD) using their native properties. RESULTS: The exposure to EMR resulted in significant changes in DA, NE and 5-HT in the four selected areas of adult rat brain. CONCLUSIONS: The exposure of adult rats to EMR may cause disturbances in monoamine neurotransmitters and this may underlie many of the adverse effects reported after EMR including memory, learning, and stress.

Abu  KM, Khalil AM, Abu Samak M, Aljaberi A. Evaluation of selected biochemical parameters in the saliva of young males using mobile phones. Electromagn Biol Med. 2014 Feb 5.

Abstract The biochemical status in the saliva of 12 males before/after using mobile phone has been evaluated. Radio frequency signals of 1800 MHz (continuous wave transmission, 217Hz modulate and Global System for Mobile Communications [GSM - non-DTX]) with 1.09 w/kg specific absorption rate (SAR) value were used for 15 and 30min. Cell phone radiation induced a significant increase of superoxide dismutase (SOD); there was a statistically significant effect of talking time on the levels of SOD, F(2, 33)=8.084, p

Achudume A, Onibere B, Aina F, Tchokossa P. Induction of oxidative stress in male rats subchronically exposed to electromagnetic fields at non-thermal intensities. J Electromagnetic Analysis and Applications 2(8), 482-487, 2010.

To investigate the oxidative stress-inducing potential of non-thermal electromagnetic fields in rats. Male Wister rats were exposed to electrical field intensity of 2.3 ± 0.82 μV/m . Exposure was in three forms: continuous waves, or modulated at 900 MHz or modulated GSM-nonDTX. The radio frequency radiation (RFR) was 1800 MHz, specific absorption radiation (SAR) (0.95-3.9 W/kg) for 40 and/or 60 days continuously. Control animals were located > 300 m from base station, while sham control animals were located in a similar environmental conditions, but in the vicinity of a non-functional base station. The rats were assessed for thiobarbituric and reactive species (TBARS), reduced glutathione (GSH) content, catalase activity, glutathione reductase (GR) and glucose residue after 40 and 60 days of exposure. At 40 days, electromagnetic radiation failed to induce any significant alterations. However, at 60 days of exposure various attributes evaluated decreased. The respective decreases in both nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH) and Ascorbate- linked lipid peroxidation (LPO) with concomitant diminution in enzymatic antioxidative defense systems resulted in decreased glucose residue. The present studies showed some biochemical changes that may be associated with a prolong exposure to electromagnetic fields and its relationship to the activity of antioxidant system in rat Regular assessment and early detection of antioxidative defense system among people working around the base stations are recommended.

Adang D, Remacle C, Vorst AV Results of a long-term low-level microwave exposure of rats. IEEE Trans Microwave Theor Tech 57: 2488-2497, 2009.

This paper summarizes the results of experimental research on biological effects induced by electromagnetic exposure to low-level microwaves. We exposed four-month-old Wistar albino rats during 21 months to two different microwave frequencies and exposure modes, 2 h a day, seven days a week. In order to assess possible biological effects of microwaves, we selected among others the following parameters: leucocytes, erythrocytes, monocytes, neutrophils, lymphocytes, hemoglobin, mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration, and mortality rate. After three and eight months of exposure, we found a statistically significant difference of about 20% between the 970-MHz continuous wave group and sham-exposed group regarding the monocytes in both considered periods. After 14 and 18 months of exposure, we observed a significant increase in white blood cells and neutrophils of about 15% and 25%, respectively. Lymphocytes fell down after 18 months of exposure with about 15% compared to the sham-exposed group. No other statistically significant differences were found, except for minor changes with little biological significance. The most obvious effect we detected is the increase in mortality rate of the exposed groups with respect to the sham-exposed group after 21 months of exposure at the age of 25 months. This increase even increases when observing rats until the age of 28 months: mortality in exposed groups then reaches almost twice the value observed in the sham-exposed group.

Agarwal A, Deepinder F, Sharma RK, Ranga G, Li J. Effect of cell phone usage on semen analysis in men attending infertility clinic: an observational study. Fertil Steril.89(1):124-128, 2008. OBJECTIVE: To investigate the effect of cell phone use on various markers of semen quality. DESIGN: Observational study. SETTING: Infertility clinic. PATIENT(S): Three hundred sixty-one men undergoing infertility evaluation were divided into four groups according to their active cell phone use: group A: no use; group B: 4 h/day. INTERVENTION(S): None. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Sperm parameters (volume, liquefaction time, pH, viscosity, sperm count, motility, viability, and morphology). RESULT(S): The comparisons of mean sperm count, motility, viability, and normal morphology among four different cell phone user groups were statistically significant. Mean sperm motility, viability, and normal
morphology were significantly different in cell phone user groups within two sperm count groups. The laboratory values of the above four sperm parameters decreased in all four cell phone user groups as the duration of daily exposure to cell phones increased. CONCLUSION(S): Use of cell phones decrease the semen quality in men by decreasing the sperm count, motility, viability, and normal morphology. The decrease in sperm parameters was dependent on the duration of daily exposure to cell phones and independent of the initial semen quality.

Agarwal A, Desai NR, Makker K, Varghese A, Mouradi R, Sabanegh E, Sharma R. Effects of radiofrequency electromagnetic waves (RF-EMW) from cellular phones on human ejaculated semen: an in vitro pilot study. Fertil Steril. 92(4) 1318-1325, 2009.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate effects of cellular phone radiofrequency electromagnetic waves (RF-EMW) during talk mode on unprocessed (neat) ejaculated human semen. DESIGN: Prospective pilot study. SETTING: Center for reproductive medicine laboratory in tertiary hospital setting. SAMPLES: Neat semen samples from normal healthy donors (n = 23) and infertile patients (n = 9). INTERVENTION(S): After liquefaction, neat semen samples were divided into two aliquots. One aliquot (experimental) from each patient was exposed to cellular phone radiation (in talk mode) for 1 h, and the second aliquot (unexposed) served as the control sample under identical conditions. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Evaluation of sperm parameters (motility, viability), reactive oxygen species (ROS), total antioxidant capacity (TAC) of semen, ROS-TAC score, and sperm DNA damage. RESULT(S): Samples exposed to RF-EMW showed a significant decrease in sperm motility and viability, increase in ROS level, and decrease in ROS-TAC score. Levels of TAC and DNA damage showed no significant differences from the unexposed group. CONCLUSION(S): Radiofrequency electromagnetic waves emitted from cell phones may lead to oxidative stress in human semen. We speculate that keeping the cell phone in a trouser pocket in talk mode may negatively affect spermatozoa and impair male fertility.

Aitken RJ, Bennetts LE, Sawyer D, Wiklendt AM, King BV. Impact of radio frequency electromagnetic radiation on DNA integrity in the male germline. Inter J Androl 28:171-179, 2005.

Concern has arisen over human exposures to radio frequency electromagnetic radiation (RFEMR), including a recent report indicating that regular mobile phone use can negatively impact upon human semen quality. These effects would be particularly serious if the biological effects of RFEMR included the induction of DNA damage in male germ cells. In this study, mice were exposed to 900 MHz RFEMR at a specific absorption rate of approximately 90 mW/kg inside a waveguide for 7 days at
12 h per day. Following exposure, DNA damage to caudal epididymal spermatozoa was assessed by quantitative PCR (QPCR) as well as alkaline and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. The treated mice were overtly normal and all assessment criteria, including sperm number, morphology and vitality were not significantly affected. Gel electrophoresis revealed no gross evidence of increased single- or double-DNA strand breakage in spermatozoa taken from treated animals. However, a detailed analysis of DNA integrity using QPCR revealed statistically significant damage to both the mitochondrial genome (p < 0.05) and the nuclear  -globin locus (p < 0.01). This study suggests that while RFEMR does not have a dramatic impact on male germ cell development, a significant genotoxic effect on epididymal spermatozoa is evident and deserves further investigation.

Aldad TS, Gan G, Gao XB, Taylor HS.Fetal radiofrequency radiation exposure from 800-1900 mhz- rated cellular telephones affects neurodevelopment and behavior in mice.Sci Rep. 2:312, 2012.

Neurobehavioral disorders are increasingly prevalent in children, however their etiology is not well understood. An association between prenatal cellular telephone use and hyperactivity in children has been postulated, yet the direct effects of radiofrequency radiation exposure on neurodevelopment remain unknown. Here we used a mouse model to demonstrate that in-utero radiofrequency exposure from cellular telephones does affect adult behavior. Mice exposed in-utero were hyperactive and had impaired memory as determined using the object recognition, light/dark box and step-down assays. Whole cell patch clamp recordings of miniature excitatory postsynaptic currents (mEPSCs) revealed that these behavioral changes were due to altered neuronal developmental programming. Exposed mice had dose-responsive impaired glutamatergic synaptic transmission onto layer V pyramidal neurons of the prefrontal cortex. We present the first experimental evidence of neuropathology due to in-utero cellular telephone radiation. Further experiments are needed in humans or non-human primates to determine the risk of exposure during pregnancy.

Al-Damegh MA. Rat testicular impairment induced by electromagnetic radiation from a conventional cellular telephone and the protective effects of the antioxidants vitamins C and E. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 67(7):785-792, 2012.

OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to investigate the possible effects of electromagnetic radiation from conventional cellular phone use on the oxidant and antioxidant status in rat blood and testicular tissue and determine the possible protective role of vitamins C and E in preventing the detrimental effects of electromagnetic radiation on the testes. MATERIALS AND METHODS: The treatment groups were exposed to an electromagnetic field, electromagnetic field plus vitamin C (40 mg/kg/day) or electromagnetic field plus vitamin E (2.7 mg/kg/day). All groups were exposed to the same electromagnetic frequency for 15, 30, and 60 min daily for two weeks. RESULTS: There was a significant increase in the diameter of the seminiferous tubules with a disorganized seminiferous tubule sperm cycle interruption in the electromagnetism-exposed group. The serum and testicular tissue conjugated diene, lipid hydroperoxide, and catalase activities increased 3-fold, whereas the total serum and testicular tissue glutathione and glutathione peroxidase levels decreased 3-5 fold in the electromagnetism-exposed animals. CONCLUSION: Our results indicate that the adverse effect of the generated electromagnetic frequency had a negative impact on testicular architecture and enzymatic activity. This finding also indicated the possible role of vitamins C and E in mitigating the oxidative stress imposed on the testes and restoring normality to the testes.

Alhusseiny A, Al-Nimer M, Majeed A. Electromagnetic energy radiated from mobile phone alters electrocardiographic records of patients with ischemic heart disease. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2(2):146-151, 2012.

BACKGROUND: Electromagnetic energy radiated from mobile phones did not show significant effect on the blood pressure, heart rate, and electrocardiographic (ECG) parameters in animals and humans. AIM: This study aimed to investigate the effect of radiofrequency of mobile phone on the electrocardiographic parameters in patients with history of ischemic heart disease, taking into consideration the gender factor. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: A total number of 356 participants (129 males and 227 females) were admitted in this study. They were grouped into: subjects without cardiac diseases (Group I), patients with ischemic heart disease (Group II), and patients with history of cardiac diseases not related to myocardial ischemia (Group III). Electrocardiogram was obtained from each patient when the mobile phone was placed at the belt level and over precordium in turn-off mode (baseline) and turn-on mode for 40 sec ringing. The records of ECG were electronically analyzed. RESULTS: Prolongation of QTc interval was significantly observed in male gender of Groups I and III (P < 0.001). Male patients of Group II showed significant QTc interval prolongation (P = 0.01) and changes in the voltage criteria (P = 0.001). These changes were not observed in female patients with ischemic heart disease. The position of mobile at the belt level or over the precordium showed effects on the heart. CONCLUSIONS: The radiofrequency of cell phone prolongs the QT interval in human beings and it interferes with voltage criteria of ECG records in male patients with myocardial ischemia.

Alsanosi AA, Al-Momani MO, Hagr AA, Almomani FM, Shami IM, Al-Habeeb SF. The acute auditory effects of exposure for 60 minutes to mobile`s electromagnetic field. Saudi Med J. 34(2):142- 146, 2013.

OBJECTIVE: To assess the immediate consequences of 60 minutes exposure to mobile phones on hearing function by determining changes in distortion product otoacoustic emission (DPOAE) and hearing threshold levels (HTLs). METHODS: This prospective control clinical trial study was carried out at the Ear, Nose and Throat Department, King Abdulaziz University Hospital, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia from July 2009 to July 2011. The data collected included age, symptoms experienced after exposure, and HTLs and DPOAE were recorded before, and immediately after 60 minutes of exposure to the same model of mobile phone. RESULTS: Heat/pain was the most commonly reported symptom. In the test-ears, significant shift (p

Aly AA, Cheema MI, Tambawala M, Laterza R, Zhou E, Rathnabharathi K, Barnes FS. Effects of 900-MHz Radio Frequencies on the Chemotaxis of Human Neutrophils in Vitro. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 55(2): 795-797, 2008.

Summary: The effects of radio frequency (RF) fields on the ability of human neutrophils to follow concentration gradients of Cyclic Adenosine 3', 5'-Monophosphate (C-AMP) are reported. Blood from healthy adult donors was exposed in vitro to different temperatures and 900-MHz RF field at approximately 0.4 V/m. It was observed that the neutrophils' speed increased with increasing temperatures from 35 oC to 40 oC where it peaked and then decreased above 40 oC without RF exposure. When 900-MHz RF field was applied, the speed increased above the value observed at the same temperature, and the maximum speed exceeded that measured value at any temperature by approximately 50%. The calculated temperature change resulting from the RF exposure was less than one microdegree. The direction of motion changed from along the concentration gradient and the electrical field lines to motion at right angles to the concentration gradient and the electric field. The average time for the neutrophils to respond to the effect of RF radiation was about 2.5 min.

Ammari M, Brillaud E, Gamez C, Lecomte A, Sakly M, Abdelmelek H, de Seze R. Effect of a chronic GSM 900MHz exposure on glia in the rat brain. Biomed Pharmacother. 62(4):273-281, 2008.

Extension of the mobile phone technology raises concern about the health effects of 900MHz microwaves on the central nervous system (CNS). In this study we measured GFAP expression using immunocytochemistry method, to evaluate glial evolution 10 days after a chronic exposure (5 days a week for 24 weeks) to GSM signal for 45min/day at a brain-averaged specific absorption rate (SAR)=1.5W/kg and for 15min/day at a SAR=6W/kg in the following rat brain areas: prefrontal cortex (PfCx), caudate putamen (Cpu), lateral globus pallidus of striatum (LGP), dentate gyrus of hippocampus (DG) and cerebellum cortex (CCx). In comparison to sham or cage control animals, rats exposed to chronic GSM signal at 6W/kg have increased GFAP stained surface areas in the brain (p

Ammari M, Lecomte A, Sakly M, Abdelmelek H, de-Seze R. Exposure to GSM 900 MHz electromagnetic fields affects cerebral cytochrome c oxidase activity.Toxicology. 250(1):70-74, 2008. The world-wide and rapidly growing use of mobile phones has raised serious concerns about the biological and health-related effects of radio frequency (RF) radiation, particularly concerns about the effects of RFs upon the nervous system. The goal of this study was conducted to measure cytochrome oxidase (CO) levels using histochemical methods in order to evaluate regional brain metabolic activity in rat brain after exposure to a GSM 900 MHz signal for 45 min/day at a brain-averaged specific absorption rate (SAR) of 1.5 W/Kg or for 15 min/day at a SAR of 6 W/Kg over seven days. Compared to the sham and control cage groups, rats exposed to a GSM signal at 6 W/Kg showed decreased CO activity in some areas of the prefrontal and frontal cortex (infralimbic cortex, prelimbic cortex, primary motor cortex, secondary motor cortex, anterior cingulate cortex areas 1 and 2 (Cg1 and Cg2)), the septum (dorsal and ventral parts of the lateral septal nucleus), the hippocampus (dorsal field CA1, CA2 and CA3 of the hippocampus and dental gyrus) and the posterior cortex (retrosplenial agranular cortex, primary and secondary visual cortex, perirhinal cortex and lateral entorhinal cortex). However, the exposure to GSM at 1.5 W/Kg did not affect brain activity. Our results indicate that 6 W/Kg GSM 900 MHz microwaves may affect brain metabolism and neuronal activity in rats.

Ammari M, Gamez C, Lecomte A, Sakly M, Abdelmelek H, De Seze R. GFAP expression in the rat brain following sub-chronic exposure to a 900 MHz electromagnetic field signal. Int J Radiat Biol. 86(5):367-375, 2010.

PURPOSE: The rapid development and expansion of mobile communications contributes to the general debate on the effects of electromagnetic fields emitted by mobile phones on the nervous system. This study aims at measuring the glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) expression in 48 rat brains to evaluate reactive astrocytosis, three and 10 days after long-term head-only sub-chronic exposure to a 900 MHz electromagnetic field (EMF) signal, in male rats. METHODS: Sprague-Dawley rats were exposed for 45 min/day at a brain-averaged specific absorption rate (SAR) = 1.5 W/kg or 15 min/day at a SAR = 6 W/kg for five days per week during an eight-week period. GFAP expression was measured by the immunocytochemistry method in the following rat brain areas: Prefrontal cortex, cerebellar cortex, dentate gyrus of the hippocampus, lateral globus pallidus of the striatum, and the caudate putamen. RESULTS: Compared to the sham-treated rats, those exposed to the sub-chronic GSM (Global System for mobile communications) signal at 1.5 or 6 W/kg showed an increase in GFAP levels in the different brain areas, three and ten days after treatment. CONCLUSION: Our results show that sub-chronic exposures to a 900 MHz EMF signal for two months could adversely affect rat brain (sign of a potential gliosis).

Anane R, Dulou P-E, Taxile M, Geffard M, Crespeau F, Veyret B. Effects of GSM-900 microwaves on DMBA-induced mammary gland tumors in female Sprague-Dawley rats. Radiat Res 160:492–497, 2003.

The aim of this investigation was to test the hypothesis that sub-chronic whole-body exposure to GSM-900 microwaves had an effect on tumor promotion and progression. Mammary tumors were induced by ingestion of a single 10-mg dose of 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene (DMBA) in female Sprague-Dawley rats (Ico:OFA-SD; IOPS Caw). In two independent experiments, DMBA-treated animals were divided into four groups: sham-exposed (16) and exposed (three groups of 16 animals). The specific absorption rates (SARs), averaged over the whole body, were 3.5, 2.2 and 1.4 W/kg in the first experiment (May–July) and 1.4, 0.7 and 0.1 W/kg in the second experiment (September– November). Exposure started 10 days after DMBA treatment and lasted 2 h/day, 5 days/week for 9 weeks. Animals were exposed to plane waves with the electric field parallel to the long axis of the animals. Body weight and the number, location and size of the tumors were recorded at regular intervals. Rats were killed humanely 3 weeks after the end of exposure. The results are negative in terms of latency, multiplicity and tumor volume. With regard to tumor incidence, in the first experiment there was an increase in the rate of incidence at 1.4 W/kg but less at 2.2 W/kg and none at 3.5 W/kg. Overall, these results, which are rather inconsistent, do not bring new evidence of a co- promoting effect of exposure to GSM-900 signals using the DMBA rat model.

What if I almost constantly run my phone in the 'plane' mode?

I need it for real conventional mobile communication quite rarely.

Anghileri LJ, Mayayo E, Domingo JL, Thouvenot P. Radiofrequency-induced carcinogenesis: cellular calcium homeostasis changes as a triggering factor. InterJ RadBiol. 81(3):205-209, 2005.

The aim was to study the effects of radiofrequency (Rf) in a mice strain characterized by age-determined carcinogenesis of lymphatic tissues. Mice were treated with a 1 h/week Rf exposure for 4 months. A group submitted to sham exposure was used as control animals. The evolution of carcinogenesis was followed up to 18 months. The maximal life span of control mice was about 24 months. All dead animals were clinically and histologically examined to give an age-determined comparative quantification of the evolving carcinogenesis. A radiocalcium tracer method permitted the evaluation of Rf effects on transmembrane transport of extracellular calcium at 1 and 24 h after exposure. The determination of induced lipid peroxidation completed this second study. The findings show that Rf provoked an earlier general lymphocyte cell infiltration, formation of lymphoblastic ascites and extranodal tumours of different histological types, as well as an increased early mortality. The results suggest that in Rf-exposed mice, carcinogenesis may be induced earlier and with different pathological forms than in control animals. The modifications in cellular calcium homeostasis and the age-determined thymus involution appear to be important factors involved in this carcinogenesis process.

Anghileri LJ, Mayayo E, Domingo JL. Iron-radiofrequency synergism in lymphomagenesis. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 28(1):175-183, 2006.

The parenteral iron administration effects on the acceleration of lymphomagenesis by radiofrequency exposure were investigated using an animal model that develops spontaneous lymphomas with ageing. Complementary studies of the in vivo uptake of 59Fe-labeled ferric gluconate and ferric-ATP complex showed differences ob absorption and excretion between both iron compounds. In vitro assays of their effects on calcium cellular uptake using a cell model and tissues homogenates showed a molecular structure- dependence. The current results (mortality, clinical and histopathological examinations) demonstrated a synergism between radiofrequency and ferric gluconate, and the increased risk of radiofrequency exposure when it is simultaneous to parenteral iron administration.

Anghileri LJ, Mayayo E, Domingo JL. Aluminum, calcium ion and radiofrequency synergism in acceleration of lymphomagenesis. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 31(3):358-362. 2009

This study that was done on lymphomagene-bearing mice indicates a synergism aluminum-radiofrequency which induces an early increase in mortality that is in concomitance with lymphoid elements proliferation and infiltration of spleen and liver. These two last phenomena were assesed by determination of the hypertrophic index (Growth Index) which is the organ weight to to the body weight ratio, as well as by the histopathological examination of the organ tissue. The importance of this synergism appears to be determined by the ionization at the physiological pH of the used aluminum complexes: much higher with lactate complex than with the citrate one. On the other hand, this dissociation appears to induce a remarkable acceleration of the mortality and the lymphoid elements-related hypertrophy of the spleen and liver at early age. Aluminum complexes are known as modifiers of the intracellular calcium homeostasis, and to verify if such process could be implicated in this synergism, the effects of calcium chloride were assayed, in this case the calcium-overload had no effects in the presence of a workable cellular control of intracellular calcium homeostasis. This finding support the hypothesis that ionized aluminum provided by lactate may be implicated in the inhibition of the buffering and extruding extracellular calcium system.

Anghileri LJ, Mayayo E, Domingo JL, Thouvenot P. Evaluation of health risks caused by radio frequency accelerated carcinogenesis: the importance of processes driven by the calcium ion signal. Eur J Cancer Prev. 15(3):191-195, 2006.

The acceleration of carcinogenesis, which was induced either by radio frequency radiation from a cellular telephone or by the ferric-ATP complex, was similar in a mouse strain characterized by age-determined carcinogenesis of lymphoid tissues. Organ hypertrophy, the presence of lymphoid blood and ascites, the development of solid tumours, and mortality were very different to those found in control animals. These results emphasize the role of calcium ion signal influx in the activation of oncogenes and the failure of thymus-determined immune defences.

Atasoy HI, Gunal MY, Atasoy P, Elgun S, Bugdayci G. Immunohistopathologic demonstration of deleterious effects on growing rat testes of radiofrequency waves emitted from conventional Wi-Fi devices. J Pediatr Urol. 9(2):223-229, 2013.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate effects on rat testes of radiofrequency radiation emitted from indoor Wi-Fi Internet access devices using 802.11.g wireless standards. METHODS: Ten Wistar albino male rats were divided into experimental and control groups, with five rats per group. Standard wireless gateways communicating at 2.437 GHz were used as radiofrequency wave sources. The experimental group was exposed to radiofrequency energy for 24 h a day for 20 weeks. The rats were sacrificed at the end of the study. Intracardiac blood was sampled for serum 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine levels. Testes were removed and examined histologically and immunohistochemically. Testis tissues were analyzed for malondialdehyde levels and prooxidant-antioxidant enzyme activities. RESULTS: We observed significant increases in serum 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine levels and 8-hydroxyguanosine staining in the testes of the experimental group indicating DNA damage due to exposure (p < 0.05). We also found decreased levels of catalase and glutathione peroxidase activity in the experimental group, which may have been due to radiofrequency effects on enzyme activity (p < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: These findings raise questions about the safety of radiofrequency exposure from Wi-Fi Internet access devices for growing organisms of reproductive age, with a potential effect on both fertility and the integrity of germ cells.

Atlı Şekeroğlu Z, Akar A, Sekeroğlu V. Evaluation of the cytogenotoxic damage in immature and mature rats exposed to 900 MHz radio frequency electromagnetic fields. Int J Radiat Biol. 2013 May 29. [Epub ahead of print]

Abstract Purpose: One of the most important issues regarding radio frequency electromagnetic fields (RF- EMF) is their effect on genetic material. Therefore, we investigated the cytogenotoxic effects of 900 MHz radio frequency electromagnetic fields (RF-EMF) and the effect of a recovery period after exposure to RF- EMF on bone marrow cells of immature and mature rats. Materials and methods: The immature and mature rats in treatment groups were exposed to RF-EMF for 2 h/day for 45 days. Average electrical field values for immature and mature rats were 28.1±4.8 V/m and 20.0±3.2 V/m, respectively. Whole-body specific absorption rate (SAR) values for immature and mature rats were in the range of 0.38-0.78 W/kg, and 0.31- 0.52 W/kg during the 45 days, respectively. Two recovery groups were kept for 15 days after RF-EMF exposure. Results: Significant differences were observed in chromosome aberrations (CA), micronucleus (MN) frequency, mitotic index (MI) and ratio of polychromatic erythrocytes (PCE) in all treatment and recovery groups. The cytogenotoxic damage in immature rats was statistically higher than the mature rats. The recovery period did not reduce the damage to the same extent as the corresponding control groups. Conclusions: The exposure of RF-EMF leads to cytotoxic and genotoxic damage in immature and mature rats. More sensitive studies are required to elucidate the possible carcinogenic risk of EMF exposure in humans, especially children.

Augner C, Hacker GW, Oberfeld G, Florian M, Hitzl W, Hutter J, Pauser G. Effects of Exposure to GSM mobile phone base station signals on salivary cortisol, alpha-amylase, and Immunoglobulin A. Biomed Environ Sci. 23(3):199-207, 2010.

OBJECTIVE: The present study aimed to test whether exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (RF-EMF) emitted by mobile phone base stations may have effects on salivary alpha-amylase, immunoglobulin A (IgA), and cortisol levels. METHODS: Fifty seven participants were randomly allocated to one of three different experimental scenarios (22 participants to scenario 1, 26 to scenario 2, and 9 to scenario 3). Each participant went through five 50-minute exposure sessions. The main RF- EMF source was a GSM-900-MHz antenna located at the outer wall of the building. In scenarios 1 and 2, the first, third, and fifth sessions were "low" (median power flux density 5.2 muW/m(2)) exposure. The second session was "high" (2126.8 muW/m(2)), and the fourth session was "medium" (153.6 muW/m(2)) in scenario 1, and vice versa in scenario 2. Scenario 3 had four "low" exposure conditions, followed by a "high" exposure condition. Biomedical parameters were collected by saliva samples three times a session. Exposure levels were created by shielding curtains. RESULTS: In scenario 3 from session 4 to session 5 (from "low" to "high" exposure), an increase of cortisol was detected, while in scenarios 1 and 2, a higher concentration of alpha-amylase related to the baseline was identified as compared to that in scenario 3. IgA concentration was not significantly related to the exposure.CONCLUSIONS: RF-EMF in considerably lower field densities than ICNIRP-guidelines may influence certain psychobiological stress markers.

Avendaño C, Mata A, Sanchez Sarmiento CA, Doncel GF. Use of laptop computers connected to internet through Wi-Fi decreases human sperm motility and increases sperm DNA fragmentation.Fertil Steril. 97(1):39-45, 2012.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effects of laptop computers connected to local area networks wirelessly (Wi- Fi) on human spermatozoa.DESIGN: Prospective in vitro study.SETTING: Center for reproductive medicine.PATIENT(S): Semen samples from 29 healthy donors.INTERVENTION(S): Motile sperm were selected by swim up. Each sperm suspension was divided into two aliquots. One sperm aliquot (experimental) from each patient was exposed to an internet-connected laptop by Wi-Fi for 4 hours, whereas the second aliquot (unexposed) was used as control, incubated under identical conditions without being exposed to the laptop.MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Evaluation of sperm motility, viability, and DNA fragmentation.RESULT(S): Donor sperm samples, mostly normozoospermic, exposed ex vivo during 4 hours to a wireless internet-connected laptop showed a significant decrease in progressive sperm motility and an increase in sperm DNA fragmentation. Levels of dead sperm showed no significant differences between the two groups.CONCLUSION(S): To our knowledge, this is the first study to evaluate the direct impact of laptop use on human spermatozoa. Ex vivo exposure of human spermatozoa to a wireless internet- connected laptop decreased motility and induced DNA fragmentation by a nonthermal effect. We speculate that keeping a laptop connected wirelessly to the internet on the lap near the testes may result in decreased male fertility. Further in vitro and in vivo studies are needed to prove this contention.

Aweda MA, Gbenebitse S, Meidinyo RO. Effects of 2.45 GHz microwave exposures on the peroxidation status in Wistar rats. Niger Postgrad Med J. 10(4):243-246, 2003.

One of the consequences of exposures to microwave (MW) radiations is the enhanced production of free O2, free radicals, peroxides and superoxides. The effects on the lipid peroxidation status (LPS) of whole body irradiation of 120 Wistar rats with 2.45 GHz MW at a power density of 6mWcm(-2) have been studied using the MW generator model ER6660E from Toshiba UK Ltd. The LPS in the rats was monitored for a period of 8 weeks post irradiation using thiobarbituric acid (TRA) method. The MW exposures caused an increase in the LPS from the mean control value of 4.18 x 10(-6)g 1(-1)to a maximum of 6.50 x 10(-6) g 1(-1) within the first 24 hrs, and then gradually reduced to control value after about a week. 1mg kg(-1) of ascorbic acid administered before irradiation caused a decrease in the LPS from the control value to a minimum of 2.86 x 10(-6)g 1(-1) within the first week. The value then gradually rose to a maximum of 3.96 x 10(-6)g 1(-1) within the monitoring period. 1 mg kg(-1) of a-tocopherol also administered before irradiation also caused a decrease in the LPS from the control value to a minimum of 2.10 x 10(-6) g 1(-1) within the first week. The value then gradually rose to a maximum of 3.94 x 10(-6) g 1(-1) within the monitoring period. The results obtained from this study demonstrate that MW exposures cause significant increase in the LPS and there are protective effects of the anti-oxidants ascorbic acid and alpha-tocopherol.

Ayata A, Mollaoglu H, Yilmaz HR, Akturk O, Ozguner F, Altuntas I. Oxidative stress-mediated skin damage in an experimental mobile phone model can be prevented by melatonin. J Dermatol. 31(11):878-883, 2004.

Most mobile phones emit 900 MHz of radiation that is mainly absorbed by the external organs. The effects of 900 MHz of radiation on fibrosis, lipid peroxidation, and anti-oxidant enzymes and the ameliorating effects of melatonin (Mel) were evaluated in rat skin. Thirty Wistar-Albino rats were used in the study. The experimental groups were the control group, the irradiated group (IR), and the irradiated+Mel treated group (IR+Mel). A dose of 900 MHz, 2 W radiation was applied to the IR group every day for 10 days (30 min/day). The IR+Mel group received 10 mg/kg/day melatonin in tap water for 10 days before the irradiation. At the end of the 10th day, a skin specimen was excised from the thoracoabdominal area. The levels of malondialdehyde (MDA) and hydroxypyroline and the activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), and catalase (CAT) were studied in the skin samples. MDA and hydroxyproline levels and activities of CAT and GSH-Px were increased significantly in the IR group compared to the control group (p

Aydin B, Akar A. Effects of a 900-MHz electromagnetic field on oxidative stress parameters in rat lymphoid organs, polymorphonuclear leukocytes and plasma. Arch Med Res. 42(4):261-267, 2011.

BACKGROUND AND AIMS: The present study investigated the effects of a 900-MHz electromagnetic field (EMF) for 2 h/day for 45 days on lymphoid organs (spleen, thymus, bone marrow), polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNs) and plasma of rats, focusing on changes in the enzymatic and nonenzymatic antioxidant system. We determined whether there is any difference between immature and mature rats in terms of oxidative damage caused by EMF and tested recovery groups to determine whether EMF-induced damage is reversible in immature and mature rats. METHODS: Twenty four immature and 24 mature rats were divided randomly and equally into six groups as follows: two control groups, immature (2 weeks old) and mature (10 weeks old); two groups were exposed to 900 MHz (28.2 ± 2.1 V/m) EMF for 2 h/day for 45 days. Two recovery groups were kept for 15 days after EMF exposure. RESULTS: Substantial, deleterious biochemical changes were observed in oxidative stress metabolism after EMF exposure. Antioxidant enzyme activity, glutathione levels in lymphoid organs and the antioxidant capacity of the plasma decreased, but lipid peroxidation and nitric oxide levels in PMNs and plasma and also myeloperoxidase activity in PMNs increased. Oxidative damage was tissue specific and improvements seen after the recovery period were limited, especially in immature rats. CONCLUSIONS: In the present study, much higher levels of irreversible oxidative damage were observed in the major lymphoid organs of immature rats than in mature rats.

Aynali G, Nazıroğlu M, Celik O, Doğan M, Yarıktaş M, Yasan H. Modulation of wireless (2.45 GHz)-induced oxidative toxicity in laryngotracheal mucosa of rat by melatonin. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 270(5):1695-1700, 2013.

It is well known that oxidative stress induces larynx cancer, although antioxidants induce modulator role on etiology of the cancer. It is well known that electromagnetic radiation (EMR) induces oxidative stress in different cell systems. The aim of this study was to investigate the possible protective role of melatonin on oxidative stress induced by Wi-Fi (2.45 GHz) EMR in laryngotracheal mucosa of rat. For this purpose, 32 male rats were equally categorized into four groups, namely controls, sham controls, EMR-exposed rats, EMR-exposed rats treated with melatonin at a dose of 10 mg/kg/day. Except for the controls and sham controls, the animals were exposed to 2.45 GHz radiation during 60 min/day for 28 days. The lipid peroxidation levels were significantly (p < 0.05) higher in the radiation-exposed groups than in the control and sham control groups. The lipid peroxidation level in the irradiated animals treated with melatonin was significantly (p < 0.01) lower than in those that were only exposed to Wi-Fi radiation. The activity of glutathione peroxidase was lower in the irradiated-only group relative to control and sham control groups but its activity was significantly (p < 0.05) increased in the groups treated with melatonin. The reduced glutathione levels in the mucosa of rat did not change in the four groups. There is an apparent protective effect of melatonin on the Wi-Fi-induced oxidative stress in the laryngotracheal mucosa of rats by inhibition of free radical formation and support of the glutathione peroxidase antioxidant system.

Ayşe İkinci, Ersan Odacı, Mehmet Yıldırım, Haydar Kaya, Metehan Akça, Hatice Hancı, Ali Aslan, Osman Fikret Sönmez, Orhan Baş.The Effects of Prenatal Exposure to a 900 Megahertz Electromagnetic Field on Hippocampus Morphology and Learning Behavior in Rat Pups. NeuroQuantology. 11(4):582-590. December 2013.

The purpose of this study was to examine the effect on hippocampus morphology and learning behavior in rat pups following prenatal exposure to a 900 megahertz (MHz) electromagnetic field (EMF). Female Sprague Dawley rats weighing 180-250 g were left to mate with males. The following day, pregnant rats identified as such by the vaginal smear test were divided into two groups, control (n=3) and EMF (n=3). No procedures were performed on the control group. The rats in the EMF group were exposed to 900 MHz EMF on days 13 to 21 of pregnancy, for 1 h a day. Female rat pups were removed from their mothers at 22 days old. We then established two newborn rat groups, a 13 member control group and a 10 member EMF group. Radial arm maze and passive avoidance tests were used to measure rat pups’ learning and memory performance. All rats were decapitated on the postnatal 32nd day. Routine histological procedures were performed on the brain tissues, and sections were stained with Cresyl fast violet. The radial arm maze (p=0.007) and passive avoidance (p=0.032) tests were administered to both groups under identical conditions, and compromised learning behavior was determined in the EMF group rats. Morphological compromise was also determined in the EMF group sections. Our results show that the application of a 900 MHz EMF in the prenatal period adversely affected female pups’ learning behavior and also resulted in histopathological changes appearing in the hippocampus.

Bachmann M, Rubljova J, Lass J, Tomson R, Tuulik V, Hinrikus H. Adaptation of human brain bioelectrical activity to low-level microwave. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007:4747- 4750, 2007.

The experiments of adaptation of the human brain bioelectrical activity were carried out on a group of 14 healthy volunteers exposed to 450 MHz microwave radiation modulated at 40 Hz frequencies. The field power density at the scalp was 0.16 mW/cm(2). Results of the study indicate that adaptation effect of human brain to low-level microwave exposure is evident. The initial increase of EEG power was compensated and even overcompensated. The adaptation phenomena were obvious in EEG alpha and beta rhythms.

Bachmann M, Lass J, Kalda J, Säkki M, Tomson R, Tuulik V, Hinrikus H. Integration of differences in EEG analysis reveals changes in human EEG caused by microwave. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 1:1597-1600, 2006.

Three different methods in combination with integration of differences in signals were applied for EEG analysis to distinguish changes in EEG caused by microwave: S-parameter, power spectral density and length distribution of low variability periods. The experiments on the effect of modulated low-level microwaves on human EEG were carried out on four different groups of healthy volunteers exposed to 450 MHz microwave radiation modulated with 7 Hz, 14 Hz, 21 Hz, 40 Hz, 70 Hz, 217 or 1000 Hz frequencies. The field power density at the scalp was 0.16 mW/cm2. The EEG analysis performed for individuals with three different methods showed that statistically significant changes occur in the EEG rhythms energy and dynamics between 12% and 30% of subjects.

Balcer-Kubiczek EK, Harrison GH. Neoplastic transformation of C3H/10T1/2 cells following exposure to 120-Hz modulated 2.45-GHz microwaves and phorbol ester tumor promoter. Radiat Res 126(1):65-72, 1991.

Some recent epidemiological studies have shown a positive association between cancer incidence and exposure to electromagnetic (EM) fields. Evidence from in vitro studies indicates that this effect could be due to synergistic interaction between EM fields and tumor promoters. However, no dose-response data related directly to carcinogenesis have been published. In this study, actively growing cultures of C3H/10T1/2 cells were exposed for 24 h to 2.45-GHz microwaves pulse-modulated at 120 Hz. Conditions of EM-field exposure were designed to simulate low-field exposures (specific absorption rate 0.1, 1, or 4.4 W/kg; the corresponding peak amplitudes were electric field 18, 56, or 120 V/m, magnetic field 0.09, 0.27, or 0.56 muT, respectively). In separate experiments, a 24-h EM-field exposure at 4.4 W/kg was preceded or followed by X irradiation at 0.5, 1, or 1.5 Gy. Cells were assayed for cell survival and neoplastic transformation with or without post-treatment administration of 0.1 micrograms/ml of 12-O- tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA) for the duration of the assay. The EM fields alone had no effect on cell survival or induction of neoplastic transformation. However, enhancement of transformation due to EM fields plus TPA was highly significant and ranged up to a level equivalent to that produced by 1.5 Gy of X rays. The frequency of neoplastic transformation was dependent on the level of EM exposure and was additive with doses of X rays given as a cocarcinogen.

Balci M, Devrim E, Durak I. Effects of mobile phones on oxidant/antioxidant balance in cornea and lens of rats. Curr Eye Res. 32(1):21-25, 2007.

Purpose: To investigate the effects of mobile-phone-emitted radiation on the oxidant/antioxidant balance in corneal and lens tissues and to observe any protective effects of vitamin C in this setting. Methods: Forty female albino Wistar rats were assigned to one of four groups containing 10 rats each. One group received a standardized daily dose of mobile phone radiation for 4 weeks. The second group received this same treatment along with a daily oral dose of vitamin C (250 mg/kg). The third group received this dose of vitamin C alone, while the fourth group received standard laboratory care and served as a control. In corneal and lens tissues, malondialdehyde (MDA) levels and activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), and catalase (CAT) were measured with spectrophotometric methods. Results: In corneal tissue, MDA level and CAT activity significantly increased in the mobile phone group compared with the mobile phone plus vitamin C group and the control group (p < 0.05), whereas SOD activity was significantly decreased (p < 0.05). In the lens tissues, only the MDA level significantly increased in the mobile phone group relative to mobile phone plus vitamin C group and the control groups (p < 0.05). In lens tissue, significant differences were not found between the groups in terms of SOD, GSH-Px, or CAT (p > 0.05). Conclusions: The results of this study suggest that mobile telephone radiation leads to oxidative stress in corneal and lens tissues and that antioxidants such as vitamin C can help to prevent these effects.

Balmori A. Mobile Phone Mast Effects on Common Frog (Rana temporaria) Tadpoles: The City Turned into a Laboratory. Electromagn Biol Med. 29(1-2):31-35, 2010.
An experiment has been made exposing eggs and tadpoles of the common frog (Rana temporaria) to electromagnetic radiation from several mobile (cell) phone antennae located at a distance of 140 meters. The experiment lasted two months, from the egg phase until an advanced phase of tadpole prior to metamorphosis. Measurements of electric field intensity (radiofrequencies and microwaves) in V/m obtained with three different devices were 1.8 to 3.5 V/m. In the exposed group (n = 70), low coordination of movements, an asynchronous growth, resulting in both big and small tadpoles, and a high mortality (90%) was observed. Regarding the control group (n = 70) under the same conditions but inside a Faraday cage, the coordination of movements was normal, the development was synchronous, and a mortality of 4.2% was obtained. These results indicate that radiation emitted by phone masts in a real situation may affect the development and may cause an increase in mortality of exposed tadpoles. This research may have huge implications for the natural world, which is now exposed to high microwave radiation levels from a multitude of phone masts.

OP, while I support your search for papers regarding the issue, you must be careful not to fall into the confirmation bias.

For each paper you've presented, you could find papers, where the evidence was found inconclusive, etc.

Some studies here outright fail to mention how close to the test subject the base station was.

Baohong Wang, Jiliang H, Lifen J, Deqiang L, Wei Z, Jianlin L, Hongping D. Studying the synergistic damage effects induced by 1.8GHz radiofrequency field radiation (RFR) with four chemical mutagens on human lymphocyte DNA using comet assay in vitro. Mutat Res. 578(1-2):149-157, 2005.

The aim of this investigation was to study the synergistic DNA damage effects in human lymphocytes induced by 1.8GHz radiofrequency field radiation (RFR, SAR of 3W/kg) with four chemical mutagens, i.e. mitomycin C (MMC, DNA crosslinker), bleomycin (BLM, radiomimetic agent), methyl methanesulfonate (MMS, alkylating agent), and 4-nitroquinoline-1-oxide (4NQO, UV-mimetic agent). The DNA damage of lymphocytes exposed to RFR and/or with chemical mutagens was detected at two incubation time (0 or 21h) after treatment with comet assay in vitro. Three combinative exposure ways were used. Cells were exposed to RFR and chemical mutagens for 2 and 3h, respectively. Tail length (TL) and tail moment (TM) were utilized as DNA damage indexes. The results showed no difference of DNA damage indexes between RFR group and control group at 0 and 21h incubation after exposure (P>0.05). There were significant difference of DNA damage indexes between MMC group and RFR+MMC co-exposure group at 0 and 21h incubation after treatment (P

I'm not the OP.

Cases where it was inconclusive, or reporting a negative result, often either used cell types known to not react (likely due to their VGCC expression), used a static field or different modulation, or had a different diet for the animals.

These are just abstracts.

And whenever you have this:
>For each paper you've presented, you could find papers, where the evidence was found inconclusive, etc.
ever, in anything, it immediately tells you something. Don't treat it like something that just is.

Bas O, Odaci E, Kaplan S, Acer N, Ucok K, Colakoglu S. 900 MHz electromagnetic field exposure affects qualitative and quantitative features of hippocampal pyramidal cells in the adult female rat. Brain Res. 1265:178-185, 2009.
The effects of electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted by mobile phones on humans hold special interest due to their use in close proximity to the brain. The current study investigated the number of pyramidal cells in the cornu ammonis (CA) of the 16-week-old female rat hippocampus following postnatal exposure to a 900 megahertz (MHz) EMF. In this study were three groups of 6 rats: control (Cont), sham exposed (Sham), and EMF exposed (EMF). EMF group rats were exposed to 900 MHz EMF (1 h/day for 28 days) in an exposure tube. Sham group was placed in the exposure tube but not exposed to EMF (1 h/day for 28 days). Cont group was not placed into the exposure tube nor were they exposed to EMF during the study period. In EMF group rats, the specific energy absorption rate (SAR) varied between 0.016 (whole body) and 2 W/kg (locally in the head). All of the rats were sacrificed at the end of the experiment and the number of pyramidal cells in the CA was estimated using the optical fractionator technique. Histopathological evaluations were made on sections of the CA region of the hippocampus. Results showed that postnatal EMF exposure caused a significant decrease of the pyramidal cell number in the CA of the EMF group (P

Bastide M, Youbibier-Simoa BJ, Lebecq JC, Giaimis J. Toxicologic study of electromagnetic radiation emitted by television and video display screens and cellular telephones on chickens and mice. Indoor Built Environ 10:291-298, 2001.

The effects of continuous exposure of chick embryos and young chickens to the electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted by video display units (VDUs) and GSM cell phone radiation, either the whole spectrum emitted or attenuated by a copper gauze, were investigated. Perma nent exposure to the EMFs radiated by a VDU was asso ciated with significantly increased fetal loss (47-68%) and markedly depressed levels of circulating specific antibodies (lgG), corticosterone and melatonin. We have also shown that under chronic exposure conditions, GSM cell phone radiation was harmful to chick embryos, stressful for healthy mice and, in this species, synergistic with cancer insofar as it depleted stress hormones. The same pathological results were observed after substan tial reduction of the microwaves radiated from the cell phone by attenuating them with a copper gauze.

Behari J, Kunjilwar KK, and Pyne S, Interaction of low level modulated RF radiation with Na+ ̄K+- ATPase. Bioelectrochem Bioenerg 47:247-252, 1998.

The effect of low-level amplitude modulated radiofrequency radiation were studied on Na+ ̄K+-ATPase activity in the brain of developing male Wistar rats of age 23 days (body weight 55 ̄60 g). They were exposed to carrier wave (CW) frequency 147 MHz and its sub-harmonic frequencies 73.5 and 36.75 MHz amplitude modulated (AM) at 16 and 76 Hz for 30 ̄35 days (3 h day-1, Power density 1.47 mW cm-2,average specific absorption rate 9.65 ̄6.11 W kg-1). We observed a statistically significant increase in Na+ ̄K+-ATPase activity in chronically exposed rats compared to the control ones. The increase in Na+ ̄K+-ATPase activity was around 19 ̄20% in the rats exposed to CW frequencies AM at 16 Hz compared to the controls, whereas the increase in Na+ ̄K+-ATPase activity was around 15 ̄16% in rats exposed to the same set of CW frequencies but AM at 76 Hz. Though there was a difference in Na+ ̄K+-ATPase activities (3 ̄4%) in the two groups but the difference was found to be statistically insignificant. Within the group of rats exposed to CW frequencies amplitude modulated at 16 and 76 Hz, respectively, the effect on Na+ ̄K+-ATPase activity was found to be independent of the magnitude of CW frequencies. An additional single short duration (20 ̄60 min) exposure of membranes in vitro from different exposed group to the above field did not show any significant alteration on Na+ ̄K+- ATPase activity. It is concluded that a low level effect of amplitude modulated radiation produces statistically significant effect on Na+ ̄K+-ATPase activity but is insensitive to the carrier wave frequencies under investigation.

Belyaev IY, Hillert L, Protopopova M, Tamm C, Malmgren LO, Persson BR, Selivanova G, Harms- Ringdahl M. 915 MHz microwaves and 50 Hz magnetic field affect chromatin conformation and 53BP1 foci in human lymphocytes from hypersensitive and healthy persons. Bioelectromagnetics. 26(3):173-184, 2005.

We used exposure to microwaves from a global system for mobile communication (GSM) mobile phone (915 MHz, specific absorption rate (SAR) 37 mW/kg) and power frequency magnetic field (50 Hz, 15 muT peak value) to investigate the response of lymphocytes from healthy subjects and from persons reporting hypersensitivity to electromagnetic field (EMF). The hypersensitive and healthy donors were matched by gender and age and the data were analyzed blind to treatment condition. The changes in chromatin conformation were measured with the method of anomalous viscosity time dependencies (AVTD). 53BP1 protein, which has been shown to colocalize in foci with DNA double strand breaks (DSBs), was analyzed by immunostaining in situ. Exposure at room temperature to either 915 MHz or 50 Hz resulted in significant condensation of chromatin, shown as AVTD changes, which was similar to the effect of heat shock at 41 degrees C. No significant differences in responses between normal and hypersensitive subjects were detected. Neither 915 MHz nor 50 Hz exposure induced 53BP1 foci. On the contrary, a distinct decrease in background level of 53BP1 signaling was observed upon these exposures as well as after heat shock treatments.
[...]

[...]
This decrease correlated with the AVTD data and may indicate decrease in accessibility of 53BP1 to antibodies because of stress-induced chromatin condensation. Apoptosis was determined by morphological changes and by apoptotic fragmentation of DNA as analyzed by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE). No apoptosis was induced by exposure to 50 Hz and 915 MHz microwaves. In conclusion, 50 Hz magnetic field and 915 MHz microwaves under specified conditions of exposure induced comparable responses in lymphocytes from healthy and hypersensitive donors that were similar but not identical to stress response induced by heat shock.

Bilgici B, Akar A, Avci B, Tuncel OK. Effect of 900 MHz radıofrequency radıatıon on oxıdatıve stress In rat braın and serum. Electromagn Biol Med. 32(1):20-29, 2013.

The increasing use of mobile telephones raises the question of possible adverse effects of the electromagnetic fields (EMF) that these phones produce. In this study, we examined the oxidative stress in the brain tissue and serum of rats that resulted from exposure to a 900-MHz EMF at a whole body average specific absorption rate (SAR) of 1.08 W/kg for 1 h/day for 3 weeks. We also examined the antioxidant effect of garlic powder (500 mg/kg/day) given orally to EMF-exposed rats. We found that malondialdehyde (MDA) (p < 0.001) and advanced oxidation protein product (AOPP) (p < 0.05) increased in rat brain tissue exposed to the EMF and that garlic reduced these effects (p < 0.05). There was no significant difference in the nitric oxide (NO) levels in the brain. Paraoxonase (PON) was not detected in the brain. There was a significant increase in the levels of NO (p < 0.001) detected in the serum after EMF exposure, and garlic intake did not affect this increase in NO. Our results suggest that there is a significant increase in brain lipid and protein oxidation after electromagnetic radiation (EMR) exposure and that garlic has a protective effect against this oxidative stress.

Bolshakov MA, Alekseev SI, Bursting responses of Lymnea neurons to microwave radiation. Bioelectromagnetics 13(2):119-129, 1992.

Microelectrode and voltage-clamp techniques were modified to record spontaneous electrical activity and ionic currents of Lymnea stagnalis neurons during exposure to a 900-MHz field in a waveguide- based apparatus. The field was pulse-modulated at repetition rates ranging from 0.5 to 110 pps, or it was applied as a continuous wave (CW). When subjected to pulsed waves (PW), rapid, burst-like changes in the firing rate of neurons occurred at SARs of a few W/kg. If the burst-like irregularity was present in the firing rate under control conditions, irradiation enhanced its probability of occurrence. The effect was dependent on modulation, but not on modulation frequency, and it had a threshold SAR near 0.5 W/kg. CW radiation had no effect on the firing rate pattern at the same SAR. Mediator- induced, current activation of acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin, or gamma-aminobutyric-acid receptors of the neuronal soma was not altered during CW or PW exposures and, hence, could not have been responsible for the bursting effect.

Kill yourself

This bait is shit tier.

Borbely, AA, Huber, R, Graf, T, Fuchs, B, Gallmann, E, Achermann, P, Pulsed high-frequency electromagnetic field affects human sleep and sleep electroencephalogram. Neurosci Lett 275(3):207- 210, 1999.

To investigate whether the electromagnetic field (EMF) emitted by digital radiotelephone handsets affects the brain, healthy, young subjects were exposed during an entire night-time sleep episode to an intermittent radiation schedule (900 MHz; maximum specific absorption rate 1 W/kg) consisting of alternating 15-min on-15-min off intervals. Compared with a control night with sham exposure, the amount of waking after sleep onset was reduced from 18 to 12 min. Spectral power of the electroencephalogram in non-rapid eye movement sleep was increased. The maximum rise occurred in the 10-11 Hz and 13.5-14 Hz bands during the initial part of sleep and then subsided. The results demonstrate that pulsed high-frequency EMF in the range of radiotelephones may promote sleep and modify the sleep EEG.

Bourthoumieu S, Joubert V, Marin B, Collin A, Leveque P, Terro F, Yardin C. Cytogenetic studies in human cells exposed in vitro to GSM-900 MHz radiofrequency radiation using R-banded karyotyping. Radiat Res 174:712-718, 2010.

It is important to determine the possible effects of exposure to radiofrequency (RF) radiation on the genetic material of cells since damage to the DNA of somatic cells may be linked to cancer development or cell death and damage to germ cells may lead to genetic damage in next and subsequent generations. The objective of this study was to investigate whether exposure to radiofrequency radiation similar to that emitted by mobile phones of second-generation standard Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM) induces genotoxic effects in cultured human cells. The cytogenetic effects of GSM-900 MHz (GSM-900) RF radiation were investigated using R-banded karyotyping after in vitro exposure of human cells (amniotic cells) for 24 h. The average specific absorption rate (SAR) was 0.25 W/kg. The exposures were carried out in wire-patch cells (WPCs) under strictly controlled conditions of temperature. The genotoxic effect was assessed immediately or 24 h after exposure using four different samples. One hundred metaphase cells were analyzed per assay. Positive controls were provided by using bleomycin. We found no direct cytogenetic effects of GSM-900 either 0 h or 24 h after exposure. To the best of our knowledge, our work is the first to study genotoxicity using complete R-banded karyotyping, which allows visualizing all the chromosomal rearrangements, either numerical or structural.

Brillaud E, Piotrowski A, de Seze R. Effect of an acute 900MHz GSM exposure on glia in the rat brain: A time-dependent study. Toxicology.238(1):23-33,2007.
Because of the increasing use of mobile phones, the possible risks of radio frequency electromagnetic fields adverse effects on the human brain has to be evaluated. In this work we measured GFAP expression, to evaluate glial evolution 2, 3, 6 and 10 days after a single GSM exposure (15min, brain averaged SAR=6W/kg, 900MHz signal) in the rat brain. A statistically significant increase of GFAP stained surface area was observed 2 days after exposure in the frontal cortex and the caudate putamen. A smaller statistically significant increase was noted 3 days after exposure in the same areas and in the cerebellum cortex. Our results confirm the Mausset-Bonnefont et al. study [Mausset-Bonnefont, A.L., Hirbec, H., Bonnefont, X., Privat, A., Vignon, J., de Seze, R., 2004. Acute exposure to GSM 900MHz electromagnetic fields induces glial reactivity and biochemical modifications in the rat brain. Neurobiol. Dis. 17, 445-454], showing the existence of glial reactivity after a 15min GSM acute exposure at a brain averaged SAR of 6W/kg. We conclude to a temporary effect, probably due to a hypertrophy of glial cells, with a temporal and a spatial modulation of the effect. Whether this effect could be harmful remains to be studied.

Burlaka A, Tsybulin O, Sidorik E, Lukin S, Polishuk V, Tsehmistrenko S, Yakymenko I. Overproduction of free radical species in embryonal cells exposed to low intensity radiofrequency radiation. Exp Oncol. 2013 Sep;35(3):219-225.

Aim: Long-term exposure of humans to low intensity radiofrequency electromagnetic radiation (RF-EMR) leads to a statistically significant increase in tumor incidence. Mechanisms of such the effects are unclear, but features of oxidative stress in living cells under RF-EMR exposure were previously reported. Our study aims to assess a production of initial free radical species, which lead to oxidative stress in the cell. Materials and Methods: Embryos of Japanese quails were exposed in ovo to extremely low intensity RF-EMR of GSM 900 MHz (0.25 μW/cm2) during 158-360 h discontinuously (48 c - ON, 12 c - OFF) before and in the initial stages of development. The levels of superoxide (O2·-), nitrogen oxide (NO·), thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), 8-oxo-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxo-dG) and antioxidant enzymes' activities were assessed in cells/tissues of 38-h, 5- and 10-day RF-EMR exposed and unexposed embryos. Results: The exposure resulted in a significant persistent overproduction of superoxide and nitrogen oxide in embryo cells during all period of analyses. As a result, significantly increased levels of TBARS and 8-oxo-dG followed by significantly decreased levels of superoxide dismutase and catalase activities were developed in the exposed embryo cells. Conclusion: Exposure of developing quail embryos to extremely low intensity RF-EMR of GSM 900 MHz during at least one hundred and fifty-eight hours leads to a significant overproduction of free radicals/reactive oxygen species and oxidative damage of DNA in embryo cells. These oxidative changes may lead to pathologies up to oncogenic transformation of cells.

Cell phone radiation is not ionizing.

Congratz, you have just eliminated short-term effects.
Too bad that's not what is the issue here.

Microwave frequencies warm up water by making it vibrate. They don't create free radicals. Using a cell phone is like holding a 2 watt microwave oven to your head.

Research done by dune coons, beaners, turks, and women is not valid. Sage for fake science.

hey guy whho keeps posting random abstracts, youre not helping, your searching things relevent and posting everything you found on google with "filetype: pdf"

just post 1 or 2 and we can discuss, otherwise your just being a fuck and obfuscating

im not on the band wagon but ionizing radiation applies to lone atoms, molecular orbitals have a far wider range of of available energies which can impact them at lower energy levels.

that said, i fucking doubt this shit and think if youre gunna be this paranoid over radiation you should run from any ac power source, go live in the woods, and cover yourself in 5 coats of black paint with a metal dust layer coating on the outside

that said im looking into this a little

fuck off back to

>Like don't you agree that radiation is dangerous as fuck and should be avoided at all costs when one can?
You're fucking retarded

Your body gives off more radiation than your phone does in a lifetime

Nice opinion you have there. Any facts to back them up?

>what is Potassium-40?

Not something your body produces through nuclear fusion or fission.

They activate voltage gated calcium channels, likely by interacting with the charge groups comprising their voltage sensing subunit. Chronically elevated intracellular calcium causes a large increase in NO production and available superoxide, which then react, forming peroxynitrite. A potent oxidant.

It doesn't need to be directly altering compounds, it potentiates it occurring downstream. You might as well be saying visible light input into your eyes cannot cause chemical change in the brain, which is clearly wrong and ignores the well established signal transduction mechanics in biological systems.

I'm posting excerpts from here:
bioinitiative.org/

Ditch the whole second paragraph from your consciousness and just focus on the third. Do yourself a favor, strip out the clutter.

I've never owned a cellphone and most likely never will. My house is nearly a Faraday cage simply because of how it was built and insulated with metal on all sides and the roof, all grounded. It wasn't planned, just happened that way. All my electronics are in grounded metal boxes since they are mostly old stuff not made with plastic cases.

and gamma radiation?

It's non-ionizing radiation

biological plausability of a mechanism does not mean it occurs at any levels significant to human health

no observational evidence has corroborated EMR exposure with cancer beyond some weak effects on childhood leukemia

Thanks for the useless comment. Next time try reading the thread.