The STEM shortage meme

>companies complaining there is a shortage of STEM workers
>companies demand a 4 year degree in STEM but don't care about what you did in your (((classes)))
>companies don't want to train people in said STEM skills that they are complaining is in short supply
>companies demand you learn the skills they need on your own for free while working towards the 4 year degree they demand but don't care about
>companies weed out a majority of their applicants by virtue of their discriminating preferences to hire only STEM grads who both have a degree and are self-taught to be proficient in the company's required skills
>companies continue to complain about the STEM shortage
>companies import a bunch of pradeets instead whose qualifications are dubious and probably not as stringent as those for the applicants weeded out
>rinse and repeat

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU
youtube.com/watch?v=gKT7xki2Lm4
wichita.edu/thisis/home/?u=2020
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Opinions spouted by people who use the (((parenthesis meme)))
Literally kill yourself.

plenty of opportunities in software development!
sure, my profession isn't respected at all, but at least it pays well, is relatively secure, and is easy to find employment

>companies are greedy cunts
companies are literally you and i. they're just a reflection of our true rapacious selves

They're not opinions because they're observations grounded in cold hard reality. Luckily for you, I realize you're a brainlet who is too myopic to look past your superficial understanding of market trends in many of the affected countries.

>nazis say the sky is blue
>obviously the sky must not be blue then

Did you just admit to being a nazi? A- are you expecting me NOT to discard your opinion, whatever it is and whatever it pertains to, after such an admission?

>being this sensitive

>easy to find employment
But still applies to software, and they're probably the biggest offender. I'm self-taught and I've been applying these past few weeks without any responses so far. Granted, I haven't applied to many places.

Jesus christ how much of a brainlet do you have to be to not understand a basic argument, go back to Veeky Forums or wherever you came from

>opinion gets ignored because a tremendous faggot said it
>THEY MUST THINK I'M WRONG

>Someone said my opinion is wrong.
>Let me give them my opinion on that!

zoz

you know this board is slow enough to make it obvious when you samefag to act as if people agree with you

>self-taught
right in the trash. you may have what it takes, but these companies care about the degree

>Debunking someone's fallacious argument is an opinion
Fuck off brainlet

There is no stem shortage. The west is satured with H1B1 who will work for 20k a year and agree to never quit at risk of deportation (aka slavery).

Who else regrets falling for the stem as a valid career path meme?

>projection
All I said was I'm self taught in software dev. There's nothing open from that to imply I don't have a degree. Take your insecurities back to >>>/reddit/

>debunking
>with opinions
Nice opinion, retard

>my profession isn't respected at all
Does this include the silicon valley? it feels pretty respected here, but i could also just feel that way because i pretty much only talk to other devs

Why would someone ever import someone non-white?
Because they can do more for the company than you can. Get BTFO

In biomedical research, there are some layers to this.

Every year, there are thousands of life sciences majors that universities churn out. And I'd bet that there are more majors than jobs to occupy those majors in biotech. Long story short, you're probably not going to get much beyond temp work in life sciences industry just of out undergrad.

But, the biotech industry is more than just R&D. In addition to thousands of R&D jobs, you have thousands of jobs in the sector, in business development, consulting, law, finance, etc. They key here is that many of these positions require additional training and additional schooling. That's why I tell people just out of undergrad to work for a few years as a lab tech in academia, get some experience, then proceed to industry or go back to school.

Speaking with regards to biomedical research PhDs, only about 7% or 8% end up in tenure-track faculty positions. But, there are plenty of jobs for PhDs in the private sector. This is buttressed by the facts that PhDs, on average, have lower rates of unemployment and higher salaries than bachelor's degree holders. And, anecdotally, I have seen PhDs in a number of different arenas (management consulting, finance, business development, law, etc.) in the life sciences industry.

Salty dropout spotted.

>Why would someone ever import someone non-white?
Because they're willing to work longer hours under worse conditions for less pay.

It has nothing to do with talent. Have you ever seen code written by a pajeet? Not only is it held together by duct tape and prayer, it's fucking disgusting to read.
But pajeets will take pathetic wages and endless shitty treatment and never ever complain.

>TL;DR OP is a shitter who thinks STEM degree's are career coupons

git gud.

I have a 3.2 GPA in Mech E from a mid tier state school and i'm having trouble choosing between the multiple offers being presented to me.

because 90% of graduates suck balls at what they were studying.

>implying hr departments aren't spamming '''offers''' just to bloat their statistics

i wish you the best and all

i had a 3.9 GPA in mechanical engineering and undergraduate research experience but couldn't find a job after graduating. i applied all over the US including places that are considered undesirable, like north dakota and alaska. i did not have internships and this was due in combination of taking summer classes to finish in 4 years flat without having to overload myself during spring/fall semesters, and simply not getting any responses back.

the vast majority of my applications did not receive any response after the automated submission confirmation, or received a rejection email few weeks to months later. the only calls back i received were from third party staffing companies that were trying to fill local jobs that paid around 40k/year contract positions with no benefits. this maybe would have worked if i didn't live in a high cost of living area and the jobs were actually engineering related and not just drafting positions where i wouldn't learn any further skills to help me advance. anyway, i ended up going into a phd program since that seemed to be like the best available option at the time.

i used to think that the primary reason i had so much difficulty was due to being a white immigrant, so i didn't fit into the good old boys' club, but i was also not a minority. then i learned about a girl that graduated about 2 years after me. she had two internships, one at a power plant even, and was in a couple of clubs, and of course she was female so that's a huge plus in itself. she apparently sent out over 100 applications that lead nowhere, and eventually was referred through the friend of her boyfriend and got a job at an electronics company.

My uncle runs 3 large facilities in the US and wanted to open a fourth outside the US

Germany
>Lol fuck off we're full

China
>Harro!
>All ur stuff belong to Chinese govurnment!
>80% of potential initial staff applicants have fraud degrees and credentials
>All plans involved elimination of all safety precautions

India
>Ayy lmao we're gonna bulldoze some slums to make room if this deal goes through. Hell might do it anyways!
>All plans involved cutting corners where it didn't need to be done
>Any potential partner refused to pay people a wage that wasn't 2 steps above slave tier
>Potential partner routinely dropped the phrase "untouchables"
>We'll gut you if you hire a single Muslim

Denmark
>Can't make facility unless you're a citizen
>Almost impossible to become a citizen unless you have connections to Denmark or Scandinavian
>Lol fuck off you're not part of the Danish master race

Arabia
>Allahu ackbar

Said fuck it and wanted another in the US
>10106450654 applicants day 1
>All from BK Randy unis
>80% are failed pre-meds (Uncle detests them)
>95% of the remainder are fucking autistic beyond belief
>No skills
>Ask WAAY too much for an entry level position (60k+ with a BSc)
>Act like entitled cunts

>Uncle's face when after dealing with all this shit

the best part? she got the job right as she was graduating. since the phd program i'm in is pretty shit i was trying to find a job in the industry and actually applied for the same exact position as she got hired in. due to her referral she got the job despite being a fresh grad, while i didn't even get a call back despite having 2 years of grad courses on top of my undergrad degree and having relevant experience to what the position required.

my biggest regret is not going into trades/military as i planned and instead going down this fruitless route that my parents pushed on me. that's my fault for not doing what i thought was best and listening to others.

This only happens on a large scale in Silicon Valley

I was in a pretty similar situation desu, for me, getting a master's did the trick. One semester into the program (part-time, evening classes) got me a full-time position, and next spring I'll be graduating with a degree and 2+ years of experience. Hopefully, that'll put me in a good position to look for a chance to move up.

Ganbatte!

>Be honest company
>Hire new student as intern
>They might not have the skills now but it will sure pay off in the future
>A year later after the employee finally learns to be useful they get poached by some other company
>Repeat this process until you finally get sick of it and hire pajeets instead

I didn't know your uncle was an animu bitch

Sophomore physics + math undergrad here. How fucked am I?

Pros:
- internship with gubment for three yrs
- working at research lab now, been 1 yr
- 3.9 GPA

Cons:
- no papers published
- secretly retarded

my dad was actually trying to push me to do a masters, but i was already too salty after wasting 4 years with no pay off to waste anymore time and money on the same thing. in my eyes at the time at least the phd program had a stipend, as low as it might be. it also didn't help that my vision of the phd program was unrealistic.

i thought it would be an opportunity to do things i would otherwise never have a chance to do. in reality, i became an underpaid and under trained technician. my adviser also couldn't get any funding for my first two years, which means i got almost nothing done during that time, until he recruited a mexican guy with a 3.0 GPA at which point he started using him on all his grand proposals to boast about diversity in lab. in short order he got over 1 million in funds.

Jesus fuck

How important are publications when being considered for a PhD program in [spoiler]physics xD[/spoiler]?

nice spoiler **faggot**

wtf are you doing

He's checking to see if anyone got those sweet gets yet.

They're mine, faggots. Back off. Check 'em.

well I wanted to see those numbas but I didn't think that the board is this slow

checkem

>internship with gubment for three yrs
you are set for life. ride that gubmint horse for as long as you can.

being a GS schedule employee with a STEM degree is like having a magic carpet. due to the scope and size of the US government, you can go anywhere you want and make good money without having to work too hard.

i did ONE (1) internship with the government and was able to leverage that into acquiring multiple referrals for other positions. pic related, i've already been interviewed for all these and have gotten an offer from one. waiting on the Japan guys to run my exemption up to some admiral (lol @ the hiring freeze).

my only advice is to apply early because the government works at glacial speeds.

not important, for the UK at least. I got into oxford for a hep phd with no publications.

When I was applying I saw that a lot of european unis (like EPFL, ETH) had a section for academic awards, scholarships and published papers. But I don't think it's all that important for them either, especially if they know you are applying from the UK where it is more unusual to do a "bachelors thesis" and stuff like that.

No idea about the US. Either way I'm sure it is rare to have a published paper as an undergrad, compared to how many people get PhD places

Nah, I left that internship in time for Tramp to BTFO government agencies from hiring on more faggots like me.

Also check em.

kill yourself

KEK. Loser.

aww shit dude

GET FUCKED

that hiring freeze bullshit doesn't apply to you bro. drumpf just wants to btfo sub GS-6 retards who are manning a help desk or doing other trivial shit.

STEM dudes are still getting in.

Congrats, virgin.

I was too busy kissing my gf, not like you'd know.

You sure? I contacted my old boss recently to inquire about
> muh scholarship recommendation letter
and he said the entire agency placed a hiring freeze. Feels bad desu, I hate my current job (undergrad ra).

>stem shortage
meaning, the stem labor market isn't completely over supplied. So labor can still dictate decent wages to employers. this is obviously a problem and we need to fix it by more immigrants, out sourcing, and diversity quotas at STEM colleges.

yeh m8. keep applying on USAJobs. you have verifiable gubmint experience, which is the absolute hardest part of getting your foot in the door with uncle sam. like i said. patience, glacial speeds, etc.

get that letter of rec from your old boss anyways. thats good shit.

enjoy your lifetime of white mans welfare.

60k is "WAAY" too much?

cringe

don't know how it is for you in burgerland but here in France there is a high shortage on stem with +2 year experience.
It is harder for entry level applicant, best chance is to get hired after an internship (that's how I got in)

>that hiring freeze bullshit doesn't apply to you bro.
utter bullshit

a EE friend of mine applied to US patent office , they called back, apologized, and offered him an internship "until the hiring freeze is over"

>drumpf
stop larping

yeah man, because the entirety of the US government is the patent office. DoD is still hiring. shut the fuck up about shit you don't know anything about.

Surprised these haven't been posted

youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU
youtube.com/watch?v=gKT7xki2Lm4

"STEM shortage" is literally a meme perpetuated by companies so they can bitch and moan for more H1-B visas. There is actually a surplus of people holding STEM degrees that aren't getting trained because companies put out fake job ads to comply with federal regulations before importing Raj and Pajeet to work for half what they'd pay Americans.

We are fucked bros it's over.

do you know how many people get ((((STEM)))) degrees from places like ITT tech and Devry?

thats where the surplus is coming from. the guys getting legit degrees from decent schools are just fine.

ITT doesn't exist anymore

I honestly have no idea what most of these posts base their claim on. My GPA is shit but I've been able to find work every summer and I'm expected to graduate this year and already have a good paying job lined up for me. I'm in ECE so I don't know how it is in other degrees, but I have friends in a broad range of subjects who don't have any problem finding employment.

The key is networking and having job experience folks, not just grades.

i'm sorry, Phoenix (((University)))

my point was the number of STEM degree holders is skewed due to the prevalence of degree mills and people stupid enough to think its a quality education.

this posters uncle had it right, in that gorillions of applicants are from dogshit BK randy schools.

You realize those people, if anything, are more likely to find a job? Those universities get a large chunk of ex-military guys that are easily employable.

I think its people who are dumb, ugly, autistic, or other sorts of problems like that

Someone with 110 IQ can get far in higher education after all

>he fell for the "veterans are employable" meme

yeah, thats why they fall under affirmative action along with blacks and disabled people. its why there are huge campaigns to get companies to hire vets.

if they were employable from their skillsets, there wouldn't be a need for legislation and tax incentives for companies to hire them.

The problem with todays world is that everyone just wants a quick buck. Nobody wants to actually think about the future. Companies want employees with experience thinking they will fall from the sky. Nobody wants to actually give interns a chance to gain experience. When companies employ new people, workers only switch from company A to company B and vice versa. This way you always have companies lacking skilled workers and people with degrees lacking experience.

Yeah for some schmuck with a simple BSc. MAYBE someone with a Masters is worth 60k/yr but no way in hell some unskilled nigger faggot is worth that kind of change off the bat.

>Be me
>Mechanical engineering senior
>2.9 GPA
>no internships
>no experience
>Nobody to """"network"""" with
No memes- how fucked am I? Should I just kms now?

What kind of job is it?
I hope he enjoys getting the dregs since he won't pay well.

you are going to have to eat some shit my man. i hope you are hungry.

your best bet is some CAD monkey position in the construction industry for 40k a year. do that for 2 years and you'll be out of the "newbie grad" window.

this guy's right. the average starting salary for guys coming out of my school is 65k$/yr.

your uncle can't afford an engineer

>Engineering degree
>doesn't even have ONE internship

If I were a manager, I wouldn't hire you either, even if your GPA was above 4.0. I would assume you were some turbo nerd autist unable to properly function in the world like a real adult. This is your own damn fault since you wanted to cruise through school without any actual work experience.

Knew a guy, also in MechE, who had a 2.8 GPA, three failed courses, massive party-goer and stoner. He got a great job (plus another offer) 2 weeks before graduation, because he had one internship the year before. Wasn't even that long of an internship, 6 weeks only.

Don't blame "pajeets" and chinks for your own shortcomings. You had 3 (or more) years to find ONE internship at least.

If he's starting a new facility he's looking for all kinds of positions but the most numerous positions are essentially lab monkey tier which any knob with minor training can pull off so thus it isn't worth shit because people qualified for that position aren't worth shit. Why pay someone 60k/yr starting right out of college when it's really worth 40-45k?

If the guy has done lab work before or interned somewhere then he's willing to add some to the top but not much more. Experience dramatically increases the value because you're less likely to fuck something up and if you do then it's more on you than anyone.

Higher level positions require more education, training, and experience which he pays proper for.

He pays what people are worth. If he needed an engineer he'd gleefully pay an engineer good pay for good work.

I'm the Jackie Chan poster, spent two years doing a co-op in aerospace environmental testing, where I regularly interacted with customers directly. Stop implying.

Maybe they know their value better that your uncle lol.
He just sounds butthurt he can't easily find suckers willing to work for garbage rate.

>Get BSc from some BK Randy literally WHO university
>No internships
>No prior lab experiences
>Thinks he's worth 60k/yr
That's pure delusional

i can assure you that i learned more in my undergrad research than most people get out of their internships where they are nothing more than an over educated secretary and office bitch.

just because you, and equally retarded HR drones, think internships have any sort of merit then that's your problem. i'm sure that a borderline retard who can't even pass classes with large grade inflation is going to be a great asset.

I'm not going to try to make any excuses here, but I didn't learn what a fucking internship was until my senior year. I always thought it was some bullshit that was ONLY relevant to business majors or something. Literally NOBODY ever told me what they were or why I should get one. My parents never explained to me the importance, they only told me to "get a job" for the summer. So I did- as a fucking delivery driver every single summer. Nobody at my university ever explained to me the importance either. No professors, no classmates, not even the worthless career help services whoever the fuck people. Senior year rolled around and I swear to god that's when everybody just so happened to start talking about their fucking internships. I even went to the school's semesterly career fair to try to look for one during the school year. You would not believe how fucking confused people got when I tried to explain this:

>So wait... you're looking for a job?
>No, just an internship during the semester while I'm taking classes
>Oh, you mean during the summer?
>No, for this next semester. The spring semester
>So a job? When are you graduating?
>No, an internship, not during the summer but during the school year
>Ayo Bonquisha, come over here! Do you know what this guy is talking about?

Again, I'm not trying to pass the blame or anything, but that's what happened.

just tell them you're looking for a part time job if they are that retarded. internships are full time, temporary positions which is probably why the office drones are confused by what you're asking them.

>being this socially unaware

its not about what you are doing during the internship. its proof of efficacy that you can "play the game" in a corporate setting without sperging out.

Sucks for you senpai desu

My state school recently added a requirement for graduating in engineering that practically forces you to get an internship

wichita.edu/thisis/home/?u=2020

WSU sucks at a lot of stuff, but I think every university should have a similar requirement

>i can assure you that i learned more in my undergrad research than most people get out of their internships where they are nothing more than an over educated secretary and office bitch.

I agree with this, but that doesn't mean managers at actual companies are obligated to hire you still based on "research" alone.

The very same HR people and managers you are berating as "office bitch" are the ones that are holding your resume for review. If you don't appeal to their shitty views of hiring expectations, don't expect to get a paying job in industry. Only overly autistic fucks, like you apparently, do not understand this.

Welcome to the real world.

You live in the age of the Internet. You had plenty of time and resources to find out "How do I get a job for sure after graduating engineering school?".

This. Research experience is practically useless when looking for a job outside of academia. The ability to sit in a little cuckbox 8 hours a day writing reports that upper management will ultimately ignore anyway without stabbing someone's eyes out is a skill in itself.

Requiring people to do internships is dumb.

>You live in the age of the Internet. You had plenty of time and resources to find out
I'm aware of that. Again, I don't want to make excuses, but for five fucking years straight, non stop, people spouted
>Oh you're an engineering major? That's great! You will NEVER have a problem finding a job! You will literally be set for life!

Never once did somebody say
>You're an engineering major? Cool. Have you had any internships yet? No? You may want to look into that

I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm going to a joke school. Knowing I'm not going to be able to find a job, I've spent far more of my time looking into grad schools instead. Every single one of them had that requirement/option of "get an internship and we'll give you class credit for it." Meme University on the other hand is just "take classes from apathetic professors who only care about their research and take the FE exam." That's TAKE the FE, students don't even have to pass.

I did a 5-year combined BS/MS program in physics, summer research 3 times, no internships in industry, and got a job after only around 10 applications that's paying ~70 a year. I went to a US top 50. I was going to get a PhD but I might just apply for 2018. I had expected the job market to be terrible but it wasn't that bad. Maybe I just got lucky.

>Requiring people to do internships is dumb.
It's the opposite of dumb. But, if you really don't want to, you can do something else instead, like do research, study abroad, do a minor, etc.

>I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm going to a joke school.
Maybe not a joke school, but maybe a school that doesn't prioritize students getting a job. It seems backwards, but I get the feeling that a lot of my professors look down at me for working as an engineer. Why wouldn't they? They can't understand my goals, since their own life goals involve nothing but teaching and research.

As long as your school is ABET certified, I'm sure you'll get something eventually. Of course, grad school is likely to help.

How do we solve the fact that all the top schools are like
20% white at best

Jews ---> Ovens

A university shouldn't make it mandatory to do is all I'm saying.

Did your school not have any career fairs?

>do a minor

I do NOT recommend this advice. Very risky.

Veeky Forums is for Nazis only fucking nigger kike!

the sky is gray, like your soul

I'm not sure what was going on prior to my senior year, but there was one for each semester this year. I'm not going to say they weren't doing them before then because the more likely answer is I just didn't care enough to notice. I went to the one last semester looking for either a full time job after I graduate or an internship before then. As I mentioned in you would not believe how hard everybody failed to comprehend the idea of an internship not during the summer. I got one interview otherwise for a full time position but did absolutely terribly.