Imagine going to the bookstore to buy this in 1997...

Imagine going to the bookstore to buy this in 1997. It's seven years after the relative disappointment of Vineland and you're thinking "maybe he's exhausted his talent, maybe he doesn't have it in him anymore." And then bam. This book is better than GR. Thematically it's maybe not as ambitious but it's grounded in fascinating characters and equally poetic. The end of the America section has to be his best writing, no? Also, the comedy sections are as spot-on as the English Candy Drill but somehow even more well-observed and timed. I love GR but M&D is a whole other world.

>buying books

>1997

Yes

yeah it's really good. I think of it as a master just flexing his muscle. I'll show you what I can do sorta thing.

Just rob them nigga

so is the book any good?

>tfw Uni library has a 10/10 hardcover edition of M&D

I want to steal it so bad.

No

explain, fool?

DUDE FREE STUFF XD

Some of us are grown adults with good jobs and not shitty college freshman, m8.

Anyway, OP, M&D is my legit favorite novel of all time. It's magnificent. I think it's one of the greatest novels ever written.

I read this a few months ago. I wish I had read it in 1997. I actually remember seeing it for sale back then, I guess because the cover is unusually distinct.

you can get brand new hc version off amazon for like 10 bones.

I'm currently reading Vineland. It's my first Pynchon novel. Why is it considered a disappointment?

one of the greatest books I've ever.

that's how good he is. that his lesser books seem good by pleb standards

I also remember seeing this book way before I had even heard about Pynchon. I had heard of the Mason and Dixon line in US history and I thought it would some sort of boring biographical slog of how they plotted the line and all that

If only if only

>Some of us are grown adults with good jobs and not shitty college freshman, m8.

Oh do books stop being free when this happens?

buying books is a categorical imperative you fucking shit

No but they become well within your budget, pleb....

I really can't imagine this is better than gravity's rainbow but I'll take everyone's word for it.

>not supporting your favorite authors

>reading Pynchon

to intelligence for you?

I've read 600 pages of this in 5 days. The guy has some fucking wild imagination. It's my first Pynchon, what should I read next? I'm thinking about "Against The Day".

Some of us are even more grown adults who's wife has told us that we dont have room for another library.

Gravity's Rainbow, if you havent read that one

>old
> horrible gramer

>falling for the marriage meme
I bet you also have fallen for the cuckoldry meme.

Easily my favorite of his, though I haven't read AtD or Vineland yet. I love the end when papa pynchon relinquishes his intellectual distance and exposes his sentimental side. If you didn't tear up a bit at the final chapters, something is probably wrong with you

because half the book are cringe worthy shills speaking like idiots on Veeky Forums

It's also stylistically not very impressive but I get what he's doing thematically and it's not bad at all. Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge are much better.

honestly go to any library book sale and you'll probably get a hardcover for a dollar, ive gotten multiple for friends that way.

Vineland is really fucking good, /lit only hates it bc Bloom didn't like it. There is one part he really shouldve dropped (the mall robbery thing towards the end)

you'd be within your rights.

>reading authors that are still alive
Protip: the momey does not go to the author, you naive fucking retard, it goes to some rich jew.

Wrong board

Posts that misunderstand royalties/capitalism or mindlessly regurgitate alt-right sentiments should be posted on pol

I don't have to imagine it, I did.
Guess which book I'd just finished reading.

I saw a stack of them in a remaindered bookshop recently, hardback, £3 each.

So buy books legitimately on Kindle or something you pleb poorfag.

How do authors make money then?