Tfw philosophy major is pretty useless bu philosophy is literally the ONLY subject in school that has ever engaged me

>tfw philosophy major is pretty useless bu philosophy is literally the ONLY subject in school that has ever engaged me
What should I do Veeky Forums? Its the only subject I enjoy pursuing and yet all the jobs you can get with a philosophy degree sound like shit

Other urls found in this thread:

phil.ufl.edu/ugrad/whatis/LSATtable.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

do it if u can get a scholarship but don't pay for a philosophy degree

Get a real degree and a real job then study philosophy with your free time for the rest of your life.

If you can't get a good job you'll never have free time bc you'll be working multiple jobs and Uber-driving for the rest of your life.

>If you can't get a good job you'll never have free time bc you'll be working multiple jobs and Uber-driving for the rest of your life.

There are alternatives

If you become a philosophy major, you'll have like three options:

1) Teach a throwaway high school course or two.

2) Clergyman/minister.

3) Teach others who made your same shitty decision.

I have a philosophy degree, I'm basically unemployable outside retail and shitpost 24/7

Nah, i work and read. Youre just lazy.

I don't usually tell people this, because it has become a meme, but you might want to think about law.

My classmates in law school used to bitch that we had to read Bentham, Locke, and Kant, but I loved that shit (not a phil. major, but I did/do have an an active interest).

Because philosophy serves as the basis for all government, law, and reason, I personally see law as the natural continuation of philosophical studies--in many respects it is applied philosophy.

That being said, there are heaps of retards in law school who have ZERO interest in being lawyers or learning the law, so if you're just not interested, just don't go. Don't become a meme.

This is what I did. I committed to the STEM meme as a major and studied philosophy for fun. My passion will always be literature, but I like money.

And he just reads. Probably more then you.

But, i also produce and am self reliant. If you disagree you are weak and a leech.

Take your marxist apathy elsewhere

>then

This.
Studied philosophy first, then Law. I was blind, but now I see!

>self reliant
>weak
>leech

Tell me when I should care

A philosophy degree (like any humanities degree) is very useful provided you do relevant work experience during your studies

This may only be true for good universities tho

phil.ufl.edu/ugrad/whatis/LSATtable.html

if you have any background in logic or analytic thinking, you should place well in the LSAT.

physics majors are just a whole different breed though. fucking academic animals.

apathy is sooo kewl!!!
I reject all teh spookz XD
Life is so, like...meaningless, you guys.

>Life is so, like...meaningless, you guys.

True

Whats relevant work experience for a philosophy major?

nah, theres a fundamental basis to our reality. meaning is derived from drawing closer to it and purifying the individual.

So being a NEET basically

teaching assistant, tutor, research assistant

basically anything that helps further the process of journal article writing or teaching.

This. Get into Philosophy of Law, it's a thriving field.

believing that life has meaning is paranormal?

being a worthless leach is not a means of purification.

>prelaw is one of the lowest on the chart

Absolutely delicious.

>tfw physics major going into law
Feels good

Prelaw is just biology for men

i feel like pre-[x] are some of the most insufferable fucks that i run into in my classes.

"lol im going to be a doctor."

ok.

LSAT to law school seems like a good route

>A philosophy degree (like any humanities degree) is very useful provided you do relevant work experience during your studies
you could say the same about any degree

the fact is that it's completely inferior to most others, especially math and physics, especially provided that you did the former two at top schools

>philosophy major is pretty useless
Don't let them meme you, OP. Most jobs don't require any specific degree. If you're concerned about employment, just make sure you do internships and that kind of shit along the way and aren't socially incompetent.

thats a pretty bold claim. is there any particular reason why philosophy is more inferior to "most others" or are you going to meme us with STEM superiority?

>turn a break year into neet years
>struggle through depression
>watch as friends get degrees and the best I get is a minimum wage job
>too frail for manual labor
>can't stand being in anti intellectual environments
>remember that Descartes analogy of picking a direction when you're lost in the woods
>That's it, I'm going to school to major in philosophy!
>go on Veeky Forums
>"what are you a retard lol"
Fuck you guys

if youre that quickly demotivated then you didnt stand a chance anyways.

better LSAT scores than you guys, for one :^)

So I should kill myself right?

here is the essential guide for degrees in 2016:

>If you're actually smart
Physics or Math

>If you're not as smart
Chemical Engineering/Philosophy/Electrical Engineering/Mechanical Engineering

>If you're a fucking idiot
Computer Science/Civil Engineering/Accounting/Economics

i'm trying to be as helpful as possible here. these are all good options in the long run.

>you could say the same about any degree
Correct. Lots of employers want people with degrees without giving a crap what the degree is in.

Pre-anything is more or less a containment major for idiots, especially law.

For example, if you want to go into serious patent law, you need to have a scientific background to get a foot in the door. No one cares that you took a patent law class once if you don't have the literacy necessary to read a patent in the first place.

It's all about the logic puzzles and reading comprehension. If you can do those things, you're golden.

t. above average Psychology

also, anything not listed is a meme

Yes, STEM is a meme right now. The other hard and soft sciences like Chemistry and Biology are absolutely inflated right now, and it's hard to get grants for research, let alone get, unless you want to be a lab monkey making barely more than a barista.

>tfw I want to do physics, but my schedule won't allow for it because I had to drop a quarter due to uncontrollable existential depression and now I have to do civil engineering

>let alone get a job
is what I meant to write. good luck to you guys just barely applying to colleges.

Pursue math.

>Law School
>Good Decision
No its not.

t. In law school

I got an A in legal philosophy though. It was my only A in three years and now I'm unemployed with 100k in debt. Im not even at a low tier school

philosophy degree to get into law

>anything not listed is a meme
unrelated but what about music composition? asking for a friend. obviously.

Get your degree and try to work for the government. Become a civil servant in the bureaucracy. Maybe take an extra year or two and get a double major in accounting or law.

says who?
and why should i care about that who and what he says? why is he right?

/thread

>being this right
Are you Plato?

I'm in the middle of getting a philosophy degree and I'm gonna dropout. My suggestion is you just study philosophy on your own time and take community college classes if you need help studying a specific topic.

Literally this. You shouldn't go on sites like Veeky Forums or Reddit and ask people whether you have their permission to be studying what you love because they're all going to give you the stock "you should major in STEM" response instead. Learning philosophy in an academic environment is incredibly rewarding and realistically, you won't be able to devote the same amount of time and energy per week to it when you graduate and get a job.
If you end up wanting to pursue something STEM-related (not that STEM careers are the only ones that make money) there will probably be training programs and internships available in your area. Many electrical engineers start as PAID interns.

If you mean in grad school, you can study "philosophy" in a lot of majors depending on your take on it

In fact sometimes it's easier to study continental philosophy in a department that isn't explicitly philosophy

epic memes

Physics majors are mindless Asians.

>Physics or Math
These are for idiots, not smart people.

le science xDdddDD is the antithesis of intelligence and it is the only thing constant in STEMshit.

Become the next Karl Marx.

From what I remember from high school, philosophy majors have the highest rate of passing the LSAT to get into law school, even better than pre law majors. That might have changed, but I can't imagine by much

Law is a field for garbage people.

bust your ass, write a long work of post-continental critique, and get into a good grad program

Huh, oddly relevant thread to my current predicament.

I'm a first year philosophy student, meaning I've taken like two philosophy courses and mostly gen eds.

Today I was forced by time to choose whether or not I would go down the path of earning a philosophy degree or earning a "practical" degree. I, at my loathsome behest, chose the practical degree.

Tomorrow I'll be enrolling in myriad accounting, econ, and management courses for a degree in supply chain management. I always thought my practical degree would be engineering, specifically electrical engineering, because circuits and logic are my fetish. But after some research I found out that engineers have surprisingly little upward mobility after ~$120k, so I chose a versatile degree which allows me to nab an MBA and become a soulless money-fiend.

I'm trying to romanticize it by LARPing my future self as if I'm ilk of some sort of Mad Man, Madison Avenue-esque drinker and philanderer, but it's not working. I truly don't care about this career, but I have a family to take care of, including a sick mother. If I majored in philosophy I would feel too God damn guilty about how much I could've helped my struggling family that took care of me while I grew up, so I just can't follow through with it.

As much as I'd love to study my passions, it's just not feasible. I'm jealous of you wealthybros who don't have too much to worry about in the way of finances, but I'm also happy for you. Study the shit out of philosophy for me.

Not really sure what the point of this was but OP's timing was just right and I need to vent.

Do whatever the fuck you want and dont bitch about it
These threads are always so fucking gay

i finished a B.A. in Phil now I'm doing a second degree in Math. 3.97 GPA so far

No. It's only paranormal in the way you described it

>Thinking income returns dont rapidly diminish after 80k let alone 120k
>Mba
>bux
You're in for a lot of life choice rethinking

How does one just get a second BA? Are you that weird old guy in undergrad? Consider other options

If you read more philosophy you wouldn't be asking this.

All I can do is look at how the statistics bode. Also I'm not going to university of shitfuck, akansas so I have actual opportunities even if debt

If only I was wiser

I'm that weird 'old' guy if you think 28 is old.

I am taking a second BA because an engineering student that was studying nearly a decade ago can't go into grad school for theology most likely, or at least won't do well.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm a Stemfag, but I'm not really getting anything out of it. I don't really enjoy it anymore.
The voice in the back of my head is telling me to complete the stem degree and do philosophy or theology afterwards. Another part of me unironically wants to go to seminary.

Should I do it? I feel like I'll be missing out on something if I don't.

Cheating, mindless Asians.

what law school were you at?

"Objective meaning" requires paranormal (but also requires the meaninglessness of the paranormal creator so it comes full circle)

"Subjective meaning" (I create meaning for myself) is the same as meaningless

No argument can get past this dilemma. Life is indisputably meaningless even if it's "fun" or "full of experiences"

end of thread

Why should your job be something you love? It's a job, its primary purpose is to get you money. It's not like you have to be either super-rich or a super-philosopher or you're dead, right? Not saying you should do whatever, but you can have a job you treat frivolously and do philosophy on the side. Something like that can broaden your character if you do it well, make you more than a philosopher, and maybe it can make you bring a new perspective into your philosophical thinking. You're a human being, not an ant, you can do more than one thing.

>can barely speak English
>does coursework in English
>probably gets extra exam time for being a lazy shit that can't improve their grade in a country FILLED with English-speakers
>all-around entitled shits that think they deserve the platter and the chariot; patriotically Chinese to the point of hypocrisy (foreigners can't even get really get a Green Card in China unless they're important investors or can be otherwised taxed a lot, a niche physician, or some other massive exception)
>cheat despite thinking Chinese people are the greatest, smartest, etc
>stuck with their heads in their phones everywhere, and travel in packs so they block out entire halls
Wrong. You're giving meaning right now. Logic is meaning you dumbshit holy crap.

no OP but user i don't want to have to do two different things. i want to have it both ways: call myself a super-wise philosopher, and then be completely lazy too

>tfw imagining being fanned by ostrich feathers on an egyptian riverboat and being asked for my opinions on the cultural logic of late capital

you're right tho

my sides

>being this tender-hearted

I know the feel pham, really, but you gotta understand if you don't allow mundanity into the equation you're likely to either make the thing you're passionate about a drag or end up sniffing and pulling your shirt involuntarily. Plus being trivial can be comfy in its own ways: you think the pharaoh's job was to be pampered all day long? No, his job was administering the dumb kingdom and killing barbarians; the luxuries came when he had time to enjoy things for what they were.

I'm double majoring in philosophy with a foreign language. Does that alleviate any of the uselessness? I know it doesn't but convince me anyway.

double majoring in cognitive science and philosophy here. ama

then it should be easy for all the patricians on Veeky Forums to graduate top 99% of their class and nail a high paying job immediately after passing the bar.

right?!

my plan is to become a teacher.

you could teach philosophy

Garbage people, as in pieces of human garbage.

This is me exactly but I'm going into nursing.
Just had a classmate complain the other day about his western civ class hes failing. He couldn't understand how some of the students had an interest in history and thrived in the class, and guessed that they must watch national geographic and the history channel exclusively.
What I'm saying is, you've made the right decision if you don't want to feel contempt for most people around you, constantly.

care to cite the crackpot you got this from?

or are you really so naive and lacking in self-awareness that you wrote this shit and thought we would be convinced by this?

>life is INDISPUTABLY meaningless

wh0aa.

Sounds like one of the bottom majors are for you.

Physics and Math at a top-tier university are more enlightening and rewarding than anything else you could study, anywhere.

No they aren't

Fedora fields aren't enlightening or rewarding.

Ivy Tower is far from top.

>Ivy Tower
There's nothing wrong with being a software engineer or programmer in this day and age, but don't pretend like it's more rigorous, interesting, or as captivating as pure mathematics at a respectable institution.

>be me
>philosophy major
>1 year in
>see salaries for supply chain management majors
>finna minor
>probably still gonna be jobless

I don't understand, phil majors are a genuinely talented group by any metric, right up there with the physics nerds, and we kind of get shit on employment-wise. Maybe I'm a delusional, entitled asshole, but there's really nothing I can't do better than a business major upon graduation -- doubly so if I've taken a few basic computer courses.

Okay, I would be remiss if I didn't just outright admit that I sound petulant and entitled. I don't really care; it's no secret that white collar work is 95% learning on the job. They're paying you for your discretion by extension IQ, that's it. To my mind, the analytical autismo majors like philosophy and physics should be top candidates for spots in certain industries, especially managerial positions, but they're not.

>you should've majored in business then fgt etc. etc.

Autist revolt WHEN?

And yes, pure mathematics at a place like the École Normale Supérieure or even Cambridge, takes leagues upon leagues of more brainpower, compared to say, Philosophy at its top schools. It almost wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't so beautiful.

I'm not putting down Philosophy, but a line has to be drawn somewhere, and memeing this hard about math and physics is reminiscent of STEMlords blindly shitting on Humanities.

No STEM is respectable, interesting, or captivating.

It's garbage.

Didn't even mean to respond 2 u fugg mayne

Pure math and physics are. I can't say the same about the rest of STEM. I double majored in Math and Philosophy in undergrad and now I'm doing work in Representation theory and I love it.

Just because you're shit at it doesn't mean you should be as autistic as a typical STEMlord that can't wrap their heads around anything that isn't a textbook or AutoCAD.

physics major master race reporting in

>tfw the stem master race is real

:^)

Because as soon as everyone stops coddling you're ass, your gone fucko

Philosophy is literally nothing. Good brainpower wasted on arguing about made-up German words. No ability to convey what you're talking about to anybody.

STEMfags discover cures for painful diseases while philosophers wag their fingers and ask "How do you know you're doing it or what 'you' even are?". Who would hire someone like that, what value does it provide to anybody when even the philosophers wagging their fingers admit there are no answers to the retarded questions they're asking

No there aren't. The government isn't stupid enough to give you money without forcing you to get into shitty work instead.