Has anyone on Veeky Forums actually read this book...

Has anyone on Veeky Forums actually read this book, or is it ranked on the 2016 top 100 chart because of all the soods on this board?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2013/feb/05/finnegans-wake-china-james-joyce-hit
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's not for reading, it's for diving in and out. Even Schmidt said it wasn't for reading cover-to-cover. It's like a weird museum where you look at a bunch of clever/unusual/thought-provoking stuff for a while and go home.

The chart user insisted on taking all the votes at face value, despite everyone asking to have that and Jerusalem left off.

I'm currently 1/3 through Jerusalem and then it's next on my list.

are you actually enjoying it or is it basically an Xbox Achievement

Surprisingly decent desu, there's some bloat in the descriptions but also enough weird metaphysical ideas to keep it going. Hopefully BD will be similar, but with esoteric Veeky Forums jokes

>Xbox Achievement
this would be a perfect description of infinite jest

Yeah I've read the whole thing, but in German. It's not nearly as difficult as you memesters hype it up to be. About as difficult as Gravity's Rainbow or Ulysses, though longer. At the same time, I don't even think it's Schmidt's best work. I'm much more partial to Nobodaddy's Children. However, I would say it is one of the most "literary" books I've ever read. Filled with erudition, interesting and funny wordplay.. it has a pretty comfy story as well. Overall a fun, though not mindblowing read. I think people have a bad habit of hyping big books up as masterpieces all the time, and this book's length combined with Schmidt's wacky typography make it seem like a sort of immpenetrable beast. Definitely an accomplishment, but it seems like Schmidt here tried to create the epitome of art for artists.

Should I read this, or should I read Ulysses 20 times?

Have you looked at the translation at all and if so do you have an opinion of how Woods did?

read half of FW instead

I made it through a page and a half of FW.

I haven't, because it wouldn't be worth it for me to pay the $50+ for a translation for a book I've already read, but I can say that I've read Wood's translation of Magic Mountain (and the original, of course, which is my favorite book) and thought it was very good. Though I'm sure there's a lot lost in translation, Woods is definitely one of the greatest german translators out there, so I would trust him.

>missing the meme

never gonna make it senpai

Could I do the same with Finnegans Wake?

No. As Joyce put it, the ideal reader of Finnegans Wake is someone who reads front to back in one sitting and then reads it again.

wow, what a clever way to justify laziness

no it wouldn't, and it is also overall a retarded phrase to bring up and ask people to have an opinion about

go back to reddit

>2016 top 100 chart
someone post this pls

are you trolling ?

Read it backwards familias

do you remember when your friend got into pot, and tried to get everybody to try it? he would even smoke you out, he just wanted a buddy that will smoke with him. But once somebody started smoking with him without him begging, once they were addicted, they were on the hook for their own marijuana, and then he'd never stop bugging them for freebies because he 'used to smoke [them] out all the time'

such is the case with Infinite Jest on Veeky Forums's literature board. Some poor user read it, and felt he had to drag somebody, anybody into the depths along with him. He tried lending out the book to friends, none finished it, but eventually some charitable soul online read it, and from their everything went downhill.

Now people get memed into reading it, because its a 'board culture' thing, and they feel obligated to do so. It's exactly like smoking weed in high school, or getting a Videomaster achievement in Halo 3.

Not him but Joyce did say this. Maybe wrote it in a letter? Unfortunately he didn't say too much about Finnegans Wake since he died soon after it was published. But fuck, its possible Joyce himself was trolling when he said that.

I haven't gotten far

I am very interested. Its sheer size is almost intimidating though. 1500 pages and stuff, man.

He probably was. He was pretty self-aware about finnegans wake being what it is. There are a lot of little self-referential things it in the novel

>It's not nearly as difficult as you memesters hype it up to be
>about as difficult as Gravity's Rainbow or Ulysses

Both of those books are difficult as fuck. Don't be such a pseud.

There's a real opportunity lost there in not calling it 'Bottoms Dream'.

It's a joke about the book being a circle

Ya tards

It's not even really a joke then

China's overtaking us

theguardian.com/books/2013/feb/05/finnegans-wake-china-james-joyce-hit

>SCOFFS
>Gravity's Rainbow is not difficult at all!
>Bottom's Dream is just as easy, I understood them.

you sound fucking insufferable.

>Expecting people who haven't read a book to understand a joke about the book
Wew

the number of people who have read fw is less than 1/10 of the number of people who know fw is a circle

>pseud
Guess you don't know what that word means.

I care less and less about such attempts to fame

Chinese people are Westophiles, I guarantee you ever one of those copies is just sitting on a shelf as a decouration

Like every copy in existence?

I've read 68 of that list and a lot of them are not that good desu.

I believe that's part of the joke

Someone pretending to be smart. He's pretending to be smart enough to say, "I read Ulysses and it was a piece of fucking cake. Plebs...."

he didn't really phrase it like that buddy, stop projecting.

>Meditations