You should be able to solve this

You should be able to solve this.

Can we use calculators?

yes

Take a giant shit and throw it in the trash.

Are there actually smart people on sci?
Is this shit even solvable?

[math]\mathcal{wrong}[/math]

Ok. It's C3

D4

no, yes

They could have changed Cheryl's name. This is a variation of this logic problem that got popular a while ago.
In this case I think it's C3

I know Albert must have either C or D
And Bernard must have 1, 2, 3, or 4.

But I don't know why it simplifies to C3

D2 and D4 also seem valid solutions.

Its c3, muh dude

Albert has either June or July
Bernard doesn't have 14

Valid answers are still July 16, Aug 15 and Aug 17. Bernard knows, but Albert doesn't know.

In other words Albert is a liar.

How they exchanging information in that stupid dialogue?

Albert told Bernard that for his month all of his numbers occur more than once, so Bernard cannot have the numbers 19 or 18.

So Bernard knows the month must be either July or August. Bernard had 14 he wouldn't know the answer. So Bernard has 16, 15 or 17.

Bernard knows the answer, Albert doesn't, even when he says he does.

why do you autists always try to pull a gotcha

it's a puzzle

>Albert doesn't, even when he says he does.
except two of those dates are in the same month

every statement is truthful

They also did a second part, a bit harder.

Albert simplifies it to C and D, only with his first statement.

Bernard is able to immediately answer for he knows number, he is also simplifying it to D2, D4, and C3 only. (eliminates 1 column)

Going back to Albert, he knows it as he plainly states -only- if C

Albert knows it can't be number 5 or 6 because otherwise he would have said that Bernard knows the correct pad since there's only one possible pad for those numbers.

Knowing that, B4 is also impossible because Albert would have said he knows the correct pad then.
It can only be A2, A3, C1, C3, D1, D2 or D4.

After listening to Albert, Bernard then figures out the same thing but since he tells us he knows the correct pad we can deduce it can only be D4 since otherwise Bernard would still not know the correct pad between C1/D1, A2/D2 and A3/C3.

Albert comes to the same conclusion after hearing Bernard's answer.

Is my reasoning correct?

July 16th

you're close, but no

>Albert knows it can't be number 5 or 6 because otherwise he would have said that Bernard knows the correct pad
think about the implications of this for the other person

or rather, not for the other person per se, but how exactly Albert can know that

38yo

[math]144/38=3.7894^2[/math]
yep user you got it

Either Cheryl is 4 and brothers are 6, or Cheryl is 9 and brothers are 4. Without the bus number, I don't know how to sort out which.

I would assume a 4 year old wouldn't give a math problem as a response, using products and saying to assume whole numbers, so I will go with Cheryl is 9 and brothers are 4.

36 2 2

why is 3, 3, 16 not a valid solution?

6*6*4 equals 144
she 4

that would be a fucked up family situation

In this exposition, counterfactual scenarios will be written in [math]\color{blue}{ \text{blue} }[/math], and their refutations will be written in [math] \color{red}{ \text{ red }}[/math].

>Albert: "I don't know which is the correct pad (trivial truth), but I know that you don't know either"
[math]\color{blue}{ \text{ If the number was 5 or 6} }[/math], Bernard would know. Since he doesn't, [math]\color{red}{ \text{ the number is not 5 or 6} }.[/math].
[math]\color{blue}{ \text{ If the letter was A or B} }[/math], Albert could not be sure that Bernard doesn't know, since the pad could have been A5 or B6. Since Albert knows this, [math]\color{red}{ \text{ the letter is not A or B }}[/math].
>Bernard: "At first I didn't know which was the correct pad (simply confirming Albert's truth), but now I do"
[math]\color{blue}{ \text{ If the number was 1 } }[/math], Bernard does not learn anything from the above conversation, and so he would not have gotten any new information for him to deduce which is the correct pad. Since he can deduce which is the correct pad, [math]\color{red}{ \text{ the number is not 1} }[/math].
>Albert: "Now I know which is the correct pad too"
There are three remaining possibilities: D2, C3, D4.
[math]\color{blue}{ \text{ If the letter was D }}[/math], Albert does not gain enough information to distinguish between the two, and would not be able to deduce the correct pad. Since he can deduce the correct pad, [math]\color{red}{ \text{ the letter cannot be D} }[/math].
By, elimination the correct pad is C3.

the bus number would have given it away

36+2+2=40
36 is too large and distinct a factor of 144

Statement (a)
Albert(L): "I don't know which is the correct pad,"
[1.0] - This is self evident. Each of the lettered tracks has multiple possible pads at the intersections with the numbered tracks, therefore Albert cannot know with just the letter which is the correct pad at this point.

Statement (b)
Albert(L): "...but I know that you don't know either."
[2.0] - If Bernard's number is 6 then Albert's letter can only be A, and if it is 5, then Albert's letter can only be B, as they are the only intersections on those numbered tracks that have a corresponding pad.
[2.1] - Albert can only make this statement if his letter is NEITHER A nor B. If it was one of the two, Bernard would have known what the correct pad is from the start.
[2.2] - This means that Albert's letter must be C or D and Bernard's number must be either 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Statement (c)
Bernard(#): "At first I didn't know which was the correct pad,"
[3.0] - This statement is redundant and only confirms Albert's previous statement.

Statement (d)
Bernard(#): "...but now I do."
[4.0] - Bernard must have made the same deductions from [2.0-1] as us about tracks A and B, as there are multiple pads on remaining tracks 2, 3, and 4 that intersect with these tracks. If he hasn't eliminated A and B, then he cannot possibly know the correct pad.
[4.1] - Also, his number cannot be 1, because there are still multiple possible pads (D1 and C1) on that track.
[4.2] - This leaves D2, C3, and D4 as possible pads, and because he knows the number, he knows which of the three is the correct pad, though we cannot yet.

Statement (f):
Albert(L): "Now I know which is the correct pad too."
[5.0] - Similarly to [4.0] Albert can only know this if he has made the same deductions that led to [4.1] and eliminated track 1 as a possibility.
[5.1] - If he already knows the correct pad then his letter cannot be D, for there are also multiple possible pads (D1 and D2) on that track.
[6.0] - C3 is the only possible solution.

If I was sober I'd understand this

I worked out every set of 3 numbers whose product was 144. Then A and B are told that their sum is a given number (which is unknown but a distinct integer).

There are a couple of pairs that have the same sum and thus they cannot choose between them:
9, 8, 2 & 12, 4, 3
8, 6, 3 & 9, 4, 4

The final piece of information says that two are the same, so it must be 9, 4, 4.

she's supposed to be the oldest of the siblings in the original riddle.

Correct. The 6 4 4 is not possible because the sum is 14, and there are no other combinations that give 14, so if the bus number was 14 they would know. In the problem they still don't know, because there are two pairs of combinations that sum up 17 (9 4 4 and 8 6 3) and other two for 19 (12 4 3 and 9 8 2). In the end it can only be 9 4 4 because the brothers have the same age.

I'm sober and I don't understand any of this.

Red: can't be because Bernard would know them by their dates because they're the only 18 and 19.
Orange: Albert can only know the above if the whole months of May and June aren't it either.
Yellow:Bernard wouldn't have been able to know the whole date if the day (14th) was the same.
Green:Albert wouldn't have been able to know the whole date if the month (August) was the same.

Once i realized i would have to do sums of ever 3 number favorial i gave up cuz no excel, this looks right

I don't intervene.

protip: all three levels are possible

Assuming good birds some from heaven and bad birds come from hell, ask either bird which door it came from.

assumptions make asses out of you and me

that's not the answer to any of the three anyway.

On easy mode you would be able to ascertain which door is which if the birds have knowledge of each others' personalities (one always lies, one always tells the truth). Because this isn't specified in the question, you can't assume this, therefore the problem is not solvable.

Meant to quote .

ask either bird which door its from. Assuming that the good bird is from heaven and the bad bird is from Hell, the good bird will answer heaven, while the bad bird will answer falsely and say heaven aswell - which will be a lie therefore whichever door any of the asked birds say will be the safe door to take. Is this the solution to all 3 tiers?

Your assuming where the birds come from.

You are right, I am retarded.

>which door would you say leads to heaven?

I don't understand how people arrived to their respective conclusions as none of the solutions make sense to me.

yea this is what I would ask aswell, but it only solves easymode

Sorry, I mean. You have to ask one of the birds: which door would the other bird say is heaven? and then pick the other door.

If it were 5 or 6 the number man would know.

If it were a or b then it COULD be 5 or 6 and the number man COULD know.

But neither know so we rule out our potentially known options, anything with a,b,5 or 6 in it leaving only 5 options left.

But now the guy with the letter knows. The only way he could know is if it were the only choice. There is only one choice in c.

The number man realises because the letter man says he now knows. He can only know if it is the only option.

C3.

possible solution to god-mode: ask one of the birds: "If I asked you if right(or left) door was heaven, would you then say yes?"

See
If there is only one option in a column or row, you rule it out because if it were that, one of the men would be sure of the right choice.

If it were 5 or 6 then the guy who knew it was 5 could know the letter. See?

You eliminate the ones they could be sure of if it were those.

Then you do the same again. The only certain option available is c3 when the guy says he knows for certain.

If they didn't tell each other what they knew, they couldn't solve this.

Seems correct to me, except that the last part you reversed the numbers guy (Bernard) with the letter guy (Albert)

Can we have some clues, poster of this riddle

C3

Correct, though you don't need the orange. It's the red takes those out too

>but I know Bernard doesn't know either?
How does he know this?
The assumption is it can't be 18 or 19 because they only appear once, and if that was the answer then Bernard would know the answer.

But Bernard never said he did not know the answer until after that statement.

He knows the month and therefore knows it is not may or june

aaaah thank you.

>brainlets detected
You all failed reading comprehension.
Easy mode allows you to ask ONE bird ONE question. Not BOTH birds ONE question.

this is some well crafted bait, have a (you)

Why thank you.
It's nice to be appreciated.