Is Plato the biggest hack?

Is Plato the biggest hack?

I'm an intellectual and well-versed in the history of Western Thought and Idea, and it feels like Whitehead's observation "all of western philosophy is a footnote to Plato" would be more accurately formulated as "all of western philosophy is a continuous BTFOing of Plato."

Plato is like the pseud who comes on Veeky Forums to samefag his own arguments and false flag his "opponents." By fortuitous happenstance Plato's writings survived in greater volume and quantity than other more insightful and coherent thinkers.

Now, Plato is essentially something for people who aren't intellectuals to read on the subway, and even Black folk have started to realize this. When are we going to collectively stop focusing our philosophical efforts on BTFOing the non-entity that is Plato and instead start spending our time and effort on more worthwhile endeavours?

Pic related.

I'm starting a discussion group where we disavow all Platonic influences and create a new philosophical movement. It will likely become one of the top 3 (conservative estimate) most important philosophical movements of the century, and you have a chance to be there at the inception. Leave an e-mail if you're interested. Happy to give more details.

>who is Nietzsche

Ok, firstly the tone of your post is very arrogant and provides no information.
Secondly, those ideas already exist;
Now, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt; but you must present any critique of any of Plato's ideas. Otherwise this will just be a vague circlejerk of not liking Plato

starting a group to disavow all Platonic influences would be a proof to Whitehead's statement. Everything that comes from sheer negation of an idea will eventually come to that idea. That's why Plato's so influencial: because it's easy to not agree with him. But if you base your philosophy on refuting Plato's points, then you're stuck in a horizon of thought that's determined by him. Negative predicate alpha is closest predicat of all predicates to predicate alpha.

Platonic realism is still one of the most widely held notions in the field of mathematics :^)

false

t. doctoral candidate in math at a top 5 uni

Cool, yet another shitpost.

spoiler: all philposts are shitposts

philposters need to LEAVE this board and fuck off to their containment

what are numbers representing then?

oh look another Marxist

Have you even brought a single argument in your post or is it just worthless drivel?
Do you even realize that Plato (along with the pic related deciding not to run, which showed he was serious) basically saved Philosophy from being a derogatory term?

>saved Philosophy from being a derogatory term

>implying that's a good thing
>implying philosophy isn't degeneracy

>Should we tell him?

If your critique of Plato's works consists solely of reducing his dialogues to "try to out debate me faggit xDD", then you clearly have no idea about role of dramatization in his exoteric writings and, judging from that, about Plato in general.

numbers are axiomatic, not ideal in the platonic sense. try again.

I wasn't even "trying", was just curious what doctoral candidate in math at a top 5 uni has to say. And I saw he's wrong.

t. Anytos

gtfo of here if you're going to be a vague as possible like this. Its clear to me that you enjoy holding your stance more than you actually care about the ideas you profess to represent (of which i know nothing).

No, Wittgenstein is

Nice argument! You really convinced us there.

OP here. Looks like a lot of pseuds came out of the woodwork, eh?

It's obvious you two have never read Nietzsche, whose work was very heavily based on a rereading of Plato.

I agree and I think you misinterpret what I meant by "disavow." The movement is not an antithetical negation of Plato, but rather an independent movement that is not influenced by Plato. There will naturally be points of both convergence and divergence of Plato - but we won't care to place any importance to these points, since Plato is a non-entity.

I don't know what you mean - unless you are referring to the juvenile idea that "abstraction = Platonic realism." is somewhat correct, but you can elaborate on his point to show how numbers are not an independent existence, but rather determined by human perception and how human thought processes operate.

>derogatory terms
This, to use the parlance of this board, is I believe what you imbeciles like to term "a spook."

You appear to relish in strawmanning.

OP again. While I don't favor much of Wittgenstein's rhetoric, one must admire Wittgenstein's willingness to reconsider his positions and engage in dialogue from a position of good faith. That alone elevates him above Plato, regardless of the merit of his work.

In any case I find the concept of language games, though unrefined, helpful for certain individuals who are looking for a basis upon which to build arguments surrounding the relationship between "activity" and sign-signifier/reality dynamics.

Another big post with nothing of value being said (reminds me of some other people - what were we saying about derogatory term?).
>an independent movement that is not influenced by Plato
Are you serious? It's too late not to be influenced by Plato. You're not even trying, given that you seem to be founding your fagclub mostly because you can't deal with standing in the shadow of Big Guy Plato.

>a position of good faith
It's blatantly clear that you know nothing of Plato nor the history surrounding him. And the fact that you accuse him of eristic and games (nice OP pic as well) just underlines this.

>implying that bashing Platon hasn't been done before
-_-

t. Freshman philosophy major who still thinks materialism is sound

Can you explain why Plato's a hack instead of writing 4 paragraphs of ad hominem?

He believes concepts like Justice or Beauty have an objective existence, i.e. there's an object called Justice floating around in some transcendental realm somewhere. It's prima face ridiculous.

HAHAHAHA

you're a fucking illiterate pseud.

see and and fuck off

>ITT pseuds and plebs get butthurt that OP has a different opinion than them and can actually defend it

How the hell does Veeky Forums not recognize this copypasta? It been posted so many times already and to top it off I believe it was taken from a goodreads review.

How the hell have you not realized that Veeky Forums is just shitposting and responding to bait even if you know it's bait?

It's meant to be funny

>and can actually defend it
He didn't post a single excerpt from Plato to demonstrate his points, for starters.

>You appear to relish in strawmanning.
top kek irony OP, I point out the lack of substance in your post and you turn the claim back on me with what amounts to ad hominem. Explain how I'm creating a caricature of your argument, please I'm eager to hear