Japanese light novels aren't literatu-

>Japanese light novels aren't literatu-

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-are-the-three-best-selling-books-of-all-times-in-the-Japanese-language
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

By definition they aren't. Light novel = pulp fiction.

How hard is it to get published in the LN industry? Seems likes an easy way to get rich (or at least make some money with a fairly small amount of effort)

Top notch thread OP

Oreimo is dope, covers lots of interesting themes about alienation, social maneuvering, taboo, and the use of facades in private and public. Also just look at how cute she is!
Doesn't seem like it would be too hard if you know how to write, but you need to be in japanland.

Veeky Forums btfo

Probably harder than you think as the majority of light novels get published chapter by chapter in monthly magazines before being collected into volumes.The magazine are inexpensive and the books themselves are very cheap compared to anything overseas and you have to remember that japan doesn't pay its creative talents all that well so authors are at best just getting by unless the series becomes a major hit.

What a coincidence, I just saw an edit of this picture this morning.

And no, light novels are shit meant for a culture that doesn't like to read. They shouldn't even exist.

Why should they not exist? Give an actual reason.

>And no, light novels are shit meant for a culture that doesn't like to read. They shouldn't even exist.
LN are not american

The No Game No Life author is a Brazillian weeb. Can't be too hard.

What's Veeky Forums's favorite LN? I myself fancy Spice & Wolf and Welcome to the NHK quite a lot.

NHK easily.

LOGH is a good story but the translation is pretty garbage so far

Brazil actually has a pretty large population of Japanese and Japanese-Brazilian people, so I guess he'd be a half-weeb.

>they shouldn't even exist

If it exists, then it was always destined to exist.

>LN are not american
No shit. I am of course talking about Japanese culture.

They are there to fill a void caused left when a society is obsessed with manchild shit and doesn't want to read a full-fledged book. People should challenge themselves instead of gobbling up junk food. Light novels would not exist otherwise. Like anime, they are a mistake.

I actually intend to read NHK because I'm fascinated with hikikomori and have a version of it on my Kindle. Didn't know at first that it was a light novel, but I will give it a fair shake.

Destiny can be subverted by failure.

>Brazillian weeb
His mother is Japanese, his father is Japanese and he was born in Brazil, that's it.

Is there a resource that reviews light novels. Specifially, I want a critic who intentionally picks the more shitty novels, reads them fully and gives thorough overviews.

Is there such a thing as LN author drawing illustrations for their novels by themselves or are the authors picking literature as their medium precisely because thay can't draw and if they could they would draw manga instead?

The term LN is pretty loose, it's more of a marketing thing than anything

It's not uncommon for manga to be written and drawn by two different people. The writing styles are also completely different.

>How hard is it to get published in the LN industry?
I am curious if a foreigner can get inside tat industry. I have never heard of such cases which can means either that everyone who tried fell through or no one tried. There has to be someone who tried though, gaijins have been taking on more ambitious projects than light novels: there are a visual novel which was barely put together as staff hated each other and some croudfunding animation projects that couldn't get the funding.
Anyway, if any of you tried to enter the LN industry, would you go to great lengths to hide your nationality or do it the other way round and use your nationality as your gimmick?

There's more Japanese people living in São Paulo than in any other city of the world (yeas, that include Japanese cities).
The only contry with more Japanese people than Brazil is Japan (and even then, Brazil is a close second).

Trust me, for the Japs, he is just a dirt Brazilian

Light Novel are escapism shit with middle school-tier prose and are only read by the lowest of the low prove me wrong.
You can't.

Even NHK which is one of the few non-shitty LN has a terrible prose and falls flat on many parts

Marche was wrong.

Japanese writting can't be translated to English without becoming shit.
Light-novels suffer greatly, because the fans who translate it often have a faint grasph of Japanese and tend to do literal translations (what just sucks).
This is why you end with texts that make you feel like vomiting.

>Japanese writting can't be translated to English without becoming shit.
Make that "any other Western language". I've read the XXth c. Japanese canon translated into the three languages I can speak (English, German and my mother tongue) and they all read as if they were written by the same author, literally.

Without even talking about prose, the fact than NHK on itself is an odd object among LNs tells you all you need to know about them.

I mean? A book about a loser that isn't wish-fulfilment and makes you think about the real world?
It's not uncommon in litterature and NHK would've been a pretty mediocre/okay-ish book (it has some good passages here and there).
But as a LN? Wow, it might as well be the best since it's so filled with harem and isekai shit.

The smartest FF protagonist that ever was.

What's smart about being so spooked you'd try to force someone back into a miserable life they hate, for the sake of being "healthy"?

NHK is a social critic about currect events on Japanese culture, on a medium where most works are wish fulfillment fiction.
This is why it got so much visibility.

But I see your point.

>escapism shit
Read: every piece of literature ever written. Escapism takes many forms.

The prose falls apart because translations are done by teams of amateurs working for free and self publishing their translations on websites. Hardly Murakami.

I like the sincere tone of LNs. The authors fully embrace their pulpy shlockiness. It doesn't have that waft of pretension that's present in crime and sci-fi novels.

>Escapism takes many forms.
How can you call something "escapism" when it takes place inside a hegemonic system? Like, how is playing video games "escapism", for example? You are not escaping anything - you bought (or were gifted) a computer, you participate in a work made possible by a capitalist system and then proceed to discuss said work with other people thanks to technology made possible (or if not "possible", then made widespread) by a capitalist system.

>are only read by the lowest of the low
And these are the only people in Japan who read. The others have a kanji vocabulary of less than 1500 when people you called lowest of the low know up to 3000

>This is why you end with texts that make you feel like vomiting.
That is not saying much as it's easy to make me vomit. Literary techniques such as similes and metaphors sicken me like otaku sicken Miyazaki.

This post is like a placid lake:
a kind of beauty that tempts bait.

Japan isn't (yet) a nation of manchildren. There are a lot of "real" novels published each year... R-Right?)
Man, I just did a research for the best sellers books in Japan, I only find LN, I hope it's because the english net doesn't care about non-weeb fiction...

quora.com/What-are-the-three-best-selling-books-of-all-times-in-the-Japanese-language

1. Madogiwa no Totto-chan (Totto-chan, the little girl by the window) by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi (5.8 million copies)
2. Michi wo Hiraku (The Path), by Konosuke Matsushita (5.2 million copies)
3. Harry Potter to Kensha no Ishi (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone), by J.K. Rowling (5.1 million copies)

Kill me

Yeah, it seems that after the major Japanese literary figures died, nothing of substance has surfaced on their book market. I can think of Banana Yoshimoto, Ryu Murakami and some genre novelists writing crime/detective fiction, that's all.

I'm enjoying Rezero so far and Kizumonogatari was a fun read, looking forward to Goblin Slayer coming out this month. Reminds me I need to get the two latest Baccano volumes and more Spice & Wolf.

I just downloaded NHK. Never read a light novel before. Almost scared I'm going to love it.

There's not shame in loving it. It's a good one.

I have to disagree with you on the basis that Sao Paulo is a smaller city than Tokyo, so there can't possibly be more Japanese people living there then in the largest Japanese city

This. Read a lot of LN and discussed them on /a/ pretty heavily a few years ago.
Fan translations are almost always shit. Most are borderline unreadable.
Shout to my boy Js06, the only good one.