I think Hawking divided by zero once...

Once...

What's 0/0?

INDETERMINATE FORM IN WHICH TO FIND THE LIMIT ONE MUST UTILIZE L'HOPITAL'S RULE

Layman's terms please.

1 / 0 = x

x * 0 = 1

What is x?

Oh right, it's absurd because literally everything times zero is zero.

0 / 0 = x

x * 0 = 0

What is x?

It could literally be anything you want it to be because anything times zero is zero.

Is there a theoretical way to apply that to reality outside of your imagination being the 0?

Its 1
Take 1 and divide it into 0 parts
Still just a 1

Following this logic, multiplying by 0 should undefined as well.

1 / 0 being undefined and x * 0 being undefined pleases my autism.

So is undefined supposed to be zero or infinity?

That's not how division works.
You must take an object of size one and divide into objects of size zero. You count the number of objects of size zero you were able to take out of the object of size one. Since you can always take out another object of size zero (doing so does not change the size of the object of size one), then you can say that number of objects you can take out approaches an infinite amount. Therefore, 1/0 approaches an infinite amount.

I know making zero infinity would complicate the number line further but what really separates zero from infinity in the first place rather than what is and what could be?

NaN

Infinity is not a number, it is a concept, that is why I explicitly used "infinite amount" instead of "infinity". There is no "largest number" just as there is no "smallest number", just as nothing can be of infinite size in the real world.
Zero, on the other hand is a number, and a well defined concept. It signifies nothingness, and absence of both positive and negative amounts. Zero serves as an intermediate between these positive and negative values.

(x * 0)^0 = 1^0
1 = 1
x = 1

any number divided by 0 = 1, if you think that any number divided by 0 is indeterminated you're fucking retarded and you should kys

That's actually a good explanation as to why there was no way to actually get 1 in the first place without taking away.

You can't just jump from "1=1" to "x=1". It's not indeterminate either. The value of x which satisfies x*0=1 approaches an infinite size.

But x being 0 doesn't satisfy that.

Why would it? It seems you don't understand the concept. Try reading

[math]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x} = \infty[/math]

Why are you even on this board? Do you have brain damage? Is that why you're so fucking shit at math?

Divide by zero = head asplode.

Where did the head exploding meme come from?

I dunno. I first showed up on Veeky Forums around the time That Fucking Cat was taking off, and it seemed well-entrenched then.

Wrong

>indeterminated
I'd go even further to say that anyone who thinks that anything, ever is "indeterminated" then they are fucking retarded and should kys

0/0 is undefined. It's not an indeterminate form.
[eqn]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/eqn]
is an indeterminate form if
[eqn]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = 0[/eqn]
and
[eqn]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x) = 0[/eqn]

But just plain 0/0 is undefined.

but thats just a twirl function

far from /0

/0 would AT LEAST be twirl that appears to goto infinity

Undefined. You can think of a/b geometrically as "how many times can b fit in a"? The answer, for a=1 and b=0, is it never fits in a because any size infinite product of zeroes is zero.

like this?