Existence & Zero

Why is it that dividing something by nothing is impossible? If nothing truly is nothing than wouldn't that mean that dividing by 1 and dividing by 1 are the same in a way? Or is zero really just glitch in the number system to define a state of non existence?

Other urls found in this thread:

scientificamerican.com/article/history-of-zero/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It converges to infinity

>Or is zero really just glitch in the number system to define a state of non existence?
Probably should be -0.

>if nothing truly is nothing then wouldn't that mean that dividing by 1 and dividing by are the same
The truth value of the premise appears to be independent of the truth value of the conclusion, which appears to be true

You can kind of assign [math]\dfrac{1}{0}[/math] the value [math]-\dfrac{1}{2}[/math], because the closed form of the series
[math]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}a^n[/math]
Is
[math]\dfrac{1}{1-a}[/math]
Which evaluates to [math]\dfrac{1}{0}[/math] when you input [math]1[/math] for [math]a[/math].

While this series(informally expressed as [math]1+1+1+1...[/math]) is not assigned a value using the above form, it is assigned the value of [math]-\dfrac{1}{2}[/math] using other methods. So basically
[math]\dfrac{1}{0}=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}1^n=-\dfrac{1}{2}[/math]

Does the mean that nothingness eventually reaches the point where it becomes something because of its potential to become something?

It also "converges" to negative infinity.

so it's in a sort of limbo between the the potential to be and the potential not to be thereby making it a placeholder for non existence? It's everywhere and nowhere because it is not in the present?

what the fuck are you talking about

Zero,nothingness, or the non existent. Whichever you want to refer to the state of not be as.

>wouldn't that mean dividing by 1 and dividing by 1 are the same

I meant dividing by 0 and dividing by 1.

[eqn] \frac{1}{0} = -\frac{1}{2} = -6\frac{1}{12} = 6\Big\{1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + \cdots \Big\} [/eqn]

Why is this board such a shame?

What makes you think it's a shame?

So what is imagination in that case? Things that do not exist have the potential to exist because of imagination which can bring forth an idea which does not exist which can lay the grounds for an object that does not exist. Perhaps it's the switch itself?

What is your imagination in general? If you bring forth non-existent concepts and use those non-existent concepts to create that which does not exist, does that mean that your imagination doesn't exist or is it a bridge that unifies the state of existence and non existence?

Because it's just shitposting and no actual science or math
I swear to God 90% of the people on here are brainlets with IQ

>wouldn't that mean that dividing by 1 and dividing by 1 are the same in a way?

I think they are exactly the same.

Yes, just look at the big bang where everything came from nothing.

that has almost nothing to do with the number 0
0 is a finite, specified absence, not a state of non-being

it's because of how division works
if you want consistent and sensible results for everything else, you have you cut out division by zero (as well as make x/1 = x and a few other things), because it doesn't behave like other division when you try to work out what it means

How is zero finite? Is it because the moment you add something to it or take away, it's no longer zero?

But what did the big bang come from? Did it come from literally nothing, or did it perhaps come from the end of something else?

0D: [math]\sqrt{0} = \sqrt{\sqrt{0}*\sqrt{0}} = ...[/math]
1D: [math]\sqrt{1} = \sqrt{\sqrt{1}*\sqrt{1}} = ...[/math]
2D: [math]\sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{\sqrt{-1}*\sqrt{-1}} = ...[/math]
3D: [math]\sqrt{\infty } = \sqrt{\sqrt{\infty }*\sqrt{\infty }} = ...[/math]

to put it in simple terms you cant put something in groups of nothing, doesn't make sense

Does it really not make sense? Or do we just not know? Or can we not comprehend the concept?

>dividing by 1 and dividing by 1 are the same in a way
you just blew my fucking mind OP

See

no it just isnt a concept it just cannot happen, its like putting 10 cakes in groups of 0.

s'not
zero may simultaneously exist and not exist
or just exist altogether

There's a lot of things we say can't happen and shouldn't happen, yet they happen anyways. While neither of us can comprehend how putting 10 cakes in 0 groups is possible, I'm sure there is someway to make that happen, currently possible or not.

I'm sure that is just isnt possible there are some things that arent possible in terms of physics and maths this is one of them

Math and physics isn't really my strong suit, I like scientists like Edward Hubble, Stephen Hawking, Carl Sagan, Bill Nye the science guy, and Neil Degrasse Tyson

Yes, zero exists that's why the whole concept of zero originated in the middle east

scientificamerican.com/article/history-of-zero/

It was before middle east

Yeah I can respect some of them but Bill Nye and Neil get none sure they are smart but they are so pompus for no reason what have they actually done in terms of science for them to be so, all they do is say illogical things most of the time which gets some amazing reaction as it sounds smart they wont know what it means but they think it is true.

First off, are you high?

Second, why are you trying to apply philosophy to something as trivial as division by zero when e^(i pi) = -1

All truths you come upon on LSD are false

>it converges to infinity
>converges
>to infinity

>I'm sure there is someway to make that happen, currently possible or not.
you might want to see it like there is more than one and that'a a problem.

Impossible? It's just that mathematicians haven't defined it.

Just like they haven't defined what "77 ;-) 99" means.

jesus fuckin christ. hate to be the one to crush your world but sorry son, zero is just an extra number added to the naturals so there exists a neutral element. infinity is (in this case) just a maximal element in the reals with some algebraic properties artificially defined to make limits easier to work with. 1/0 is undefined, it is defined in a limit case under certain circumstances. "division by zero" in general can be also be defined in some algebraic setting, e.g. you can say that 0 is divisible by 0. but it's just a definition, period. nothing philosophical going on here. I used to "reflect" on those things too. then I stopped being a brainlet and ACTUALLY learned some math.

Should I be concerned that I was a sober state of mind when I made this thread and still am as I maintain it?

I wasn't referring specifically to dividing by zero, I was also referring to the state of non existence. And no, i'm sober.

What did you two mean by this?

The dividing by zero thing was one aspect of this thread. I was also referring to dividing something that exists into pieces that do not exist. But then again, that's pretty much the same except trying to draw upon a real life example.

What does 77 ;-) 99 mean to you? I know what that number means to me, but what does it mean to you?

The concept always existed, it just had no assigned value.

Assigning x/0 a value always leads to paradoxes. Not only is it obviously asymptotic/divergent, but any value assigned to x/0 can then be used to prove every complex number equals 0.

If everything is nothing and nothing is everything what does that mean what if we take all numbers and substract them with their opposites and do this for all numbers. 1 and negative 1 and 2 and negative 2. Think about that OP