I want to try the ketogenic diet

I want to try the ketogenic diet.

Will it turn me into a brainlet?

I have heard that it can improve brain function but I think there's also very little research on this or any other aspect of the keto diet so who the fuck knows.

You already are, so go ahead.

I've thought about it too, would cardio counteract the negative side-effects?

It will turn you into a hothead. Literally. Fatty acid metabolism releases more energy than protein and carb metabolism.

Best not then, I already suffer Asperger's rages now and then.

Glucose is easier to turn into usable energy, meaning your brain will function better on glucose. Trust me, I've done keto. It makes it hard to think.

For how long? You think you got keto-adapted and stayed both low carb AND low protein as well?

neanderthals ate what would be considered keto and human are their brainlets. Inuits eat keto and have the biggest brains of all humans. It's better than eating agriculture produce.

>human are their brainlets
was that actually proved?

Kinda depends on the person,
Personally I'm the most productive on a mostly carb based diet with a slight caloric deficit.

It would be hard to prove something like that, but they had bigger brain volumes.

I most productive when I have a deadline coming up

This. Carnivorism allows for increased brains size.

BTW; I've been doing keto for years and have read a lot of BS about how it was supposed to be bad for you. Honestly though IDK what the real results of it are.

IDK if that is the answer. The vegans tend to often be hysterical and I've read that that is supposedly connected to their hard carby intae which prohibits and IDK what to be injested (Riboflavin I think). Basically, low fat might make you rage more.

some people just run out of energy too quickly no matter what

hi I've been through keto a couple of times (one which was quite severe)

I'll be ITT for the next 30 minutes, ama

Been on keto since feb 28th, went from 180 --> 160 (today march 29th)

- first week was savage, not only did I wake up retardedly tired, I also had to go to class/study exams
- monstrous weight loss due to fat being filling (cheese, avocados, salmon is all I ate untl about 10th of march)
-you find a new sense of hatred of fat people who fill up their hunger with pizza hut etc

yes definitely try it, no point if you are already working out tho since you will go to the gym and be tired after one squats

>no point if you are already working out tho

This is, I thin, the most important point. No diet is "good for you", only working out is a "healthy" way to lose weight. And don't bother with that aerobic shit either, unless you're a woman: A man needs to lift weights to lose fat.

There's no evidence keto improves brain function

If you have seizures maybe

It helps lose some weight too

> ama
If you were in ketosis for real, just tell us about your experience as a Veeky Forumsfag. How did it influence your studying and math abilities?

I think seizures is a spectrum, issues with anger, anxiety or whatever that distract you against your will are also something like that.

my stepdad tried keto and his dick fell off. don't risk it.

I would check out some of the IHMC's resources on keto. There are many brilliant people who remain on keto for long periods - however most of the benefits are chronic - they only occur after a month or so on keto, and the first two weeks or so are bad - it's called keto flu.

I like to fast sometimes to regain lost insulin sensitivity, but I find my brain usually appreciates sugar, even though it makes me feel bad physically.

Well I've been on low carb for some five years.
The main difference is that you're never tired due to low sugar. The rest seems to be working fine, but IDK if it's really better than on glucose.

Would recommend; people get of keto because they have carb addictions(same as they get back to smoking or drinking) and not because keto would be bad for them.

Weight loss happens because your hormones normalise and you can start losing weight. Hormones are your regulatory system btw, the fatter you are the less full you should be....if your hormones aren't hindered by glucose/insulin.

ketosis is increasing brain function

keto seems great for fat fucks wanting to lose weight. for normal sized people? Im not entirely convinced it's healthy long term. possibly increase carb intake up to a decent level when you lose weight

>Will it turn me into a brainlet?
No. It will prove you were born brain-damaged, so now you're following a stupid fad.

>I didn't know what i was doing and neglected my electrolytes intake, therefore, keto is bad

Just stop talking.

You can't outrun your dinner plate. No workout in the world will counter eating a 20 piece original KFC bucket o tendies for dinner every night. I don't care if you do 10,000 push-ups and run 15 miles a day.

>Trust me, I've done keto. It makes it hard to think.
No it doesn't.

Veeky Forums just seems to be filled with shittier and shittier information every year.

People vary on their response to it but as long as you don't completely elimate all carb intake you should be good. I don't know why you are doing the diet which would change the numbers but if it makes you feel bad even after two weeks then increase the carb intake slightly from say 20g to 30g for instance. You can also do carb refeed every two weeks which is recommended for anyone not doing the diet for medical reasons and that also perform in sports. For your glycogen storage's sake mostly.

Keto immensily helps those whose seizures are due to glucose transporters defencies like De Vivo but their benefits for other seizures is less obvious but still seems to be a potential benefit due to their antioxidative properties. But again it is far from an obvious clear cut effect.

What negative health effects are you refering too? The most evident health effect is its effect on athletic performance so if you did do cardio on keto you for sure should do the every two weeks carb refeed I described above.

All this being said, many people find keto helps with weight loss and it can be helpful for many disorders including even concussions but there does not seem to be any health benefit from the diet to normal people and neither is there evident negative health effects besides those psychological effects felt from person to person who do not adjust well to the new nutrition.

pls don't because keytosis

Im on keto and i dont have this problem you had keto flu and sounds like you gave up during keto

>Trust me, I've done keto. It makes it hard to think.
Trust me, I've done keto, and, ummmm, no, it doesn't.

When I went on the Modified Atkins Diet (less strict than "traditional" keto, but still staying in ketosis) I immediately noticed it was easier for me to concentrate and I also slept better. My grades also improved, as did my work ethic. Cured my epilepsy as well, 10/10 would recommend.

That said, I don't think there's much of a reason to go completely overkill with 90% of your calories coming from fat. That's a good way to end up in ketoacidosis.

>ketoacidosis
because of your diet?

Yeah, that's not my experience.

Inuits do not eat keto

Keto is a fucking [eqn]m-e-m-e[/eqn]

>ketogenic diet
Holy shit why I never heard of ketones. The brain can only run on glucose or ketones.
So is like a switch for the brain, I need to look more into this.

Just remember kids, if it's not broken don't fix it.

They do. Only eat proteins and fatties

Common misconception that glucose is a 'preferred' source of energy. This comes from the fact that in the presence of glucose (and more importantly - insulin) the body will use the glucose. It's not so much that it's preferred - but rather that insulin will shut down fat metabolism. Makes sense that the body's first priority is to process glucose given that high blood sugar will kill you. This is the problem a diabetic that doesn't take their insulin faces. However, to say that processing glucose is priority one so that you don't die is rather different from saying glucose is a preferred source. I'd imagine the energy source that is deadly unless immediately dealt with might actually be the less preferable of the two.

Gary taubes book 'why we get fat' is a good source of info on insulin and kerogen is diets.