Simulation Hypothesis

Do we live in a simulation, Veeky Forums?

How could we test for it?

If we do, how do we make sure that whoever is not simulating us doesn't kill us prematurely and extends our lifespans inside of the simulation?

Does this kind of stuff keep you up at night? It does me...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8
fat.bme.hu/student/pub/Programozas3/SimulationArgument.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No dude... go to sleep.... just go back to sleep... I mean it literally, you must be stressed. Please just take a breather, and try your best tomorrow.

Test:
Is op fertile?:
IF YES: not simulation
IF NO: simulation

considering my monumentus strike of terrible luck i would venture life is not a simulation. unless.... my arch enemey of course could design a simulation in which i was totally fucking fucked

hope you enjoyed my drunk posting skills cause we have this thread on a literal FUCKING interval n i h8 u man

Elon Musk claims that we're almost certainly inside of a simulation.

youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8

Find faults in his reasoning.

his first point is the rapid evolition of tech (IE """"technology"""""" becoming more human friendly)
That's everyhting to do with human behavior and nothign to do with oh my we're being controlled by teh aliens

>if you assume any rate of improvement at all then the game will become indistinguishable from reality

I guess he lost me (and i stopped watching) because it's almost as if he said "we know teh aliens are real cause iphone 7 is better than iphone 6)

It's important to note iphones genreally have features non-apple phones have had for at LEAST a year
ALSO it looks like elon even realizes he turns his explanation into a word-salad

I'm not saying it's aliens....

but

Even if we do live in a simulation why care? You cannot separate reality from the simulation nor can you know the world outside since reality and the simulation are one in the same.

Why are people retarded these days?

Time isn't quantized.
/thread

we are in a simulation, we can maybe test for this, by creating a program that will act as a recursive function drill, basically we can run it in a D-Wave(™) Super Computer(™) and it will recursively function on the Qbits(™)
Something From nothing ?
therefore GOD
therefore Simulation theory PROVEN.

This whole simulation thing doesn't seem like a very good idea

I think it is very likely we are in a simulation, how we could detect that we are in one..is that even possible ?

Elon Musk thinks it may be..
I guess it would depend on what type of simulation we are in. It really interests me, but I do understand why people say "What does it matter".

It is not "very likely" that we are in a simulation. The probability that we are in a multiverse is completely unknown.
You are all so fucking stupid it boggles the mind.

>Do we live in a simulation, Veeky Forums?
maybe, doesn't matter
this meme only even got popular because people, even successful ones, don't understand science at all. That's what happens when you don't teach philosophy alongside science.

>How could we test for it?
we can't, so why bother?
It's the same empty pseud masturbation as hard determinism and solipsism

>If we do, how do we make sure that whoever is not simulating us doesn't kill us prematurely and extends our lifespans inside of the simulation?
it doesn't matter, does it?

>Does this kind of stuff keep you up at night? It does me...
are you 6 years old, back in those days I used to agonize over gamma ray bursts potentially killing everyone at any time

In a non heath-death universe, it would go on forever and ever until you existed again, and you could live another life!

That always made me feel happy

I've thought of a way that could strengthen the argument as long as QM holds 100%.

Since we know photons can deflect one another we place two photons in a wave state with their trajectories intersecting. We then calculate the probability of these colliding/reflecting.
Run the test until we have a massive amount of data, if we have a reflection we can't assume much. However if we don't it could show that the universe tries to minimize photonic interactions just as you would want in a simulation to minimize memory usage.

I'm not a physicist so my grasp on things is below expert level.

>implying the universe has memory
if the universe was a program running on a computer why would you assume that it's anything like any computer a human has built

Us """knowing""" that photons can deflect each other is nothing but a simulation of photon behavior. QM in particular is a simulation of the things that are actually happening, not objective truth.
So obviously it will appear as a simulation.

>how we could detect that we are in one..is that even possible ?
No, but science isn't concerned with ruling out every possible undetectable theory. That's why people don't like string theory, even though unlike this ridiculous simulation nonsense string theory does make precise predictions, they're just at (much) higher energy than our experiments can detect, with a huge, but finite, number of possible low energy effective theories. Essentially the simulation hypothesis has all of the problems of string theory but none of the desirable properties. It is the same as the Mandela effect. Indeed, some (crazy) people probably think the Mandela effect is evidence that we are living in a simulation!
What we can do is look for evidence that we're in a simulation, and there is none of that. We can rule out simulation of a very broad sort within current experimental bounds.
Lumo explains it better than could hope to within 2000 characters, but I can't format it properly but I'll assume that if you're discussing physics you're familiar with TRF and can find the recent post about which I am talking.

2017/03/aaronsons-delusions-about-universe-as

We have observed photon-photon deflections. QM shows particles information as probabilistic instead of deterministic like CM does. I fail to see anything wrong with my original post in regards to your poorly worded response.
In science you assume and test. This assumption is called a hypothesis, read about it.

The origin of this popular "simulation philosophy" is genius Nick Bostrom (and not Musk by the way):
fat.bme.hu/student/pub/Programozas3/SimulationArgument.pdf

your assumption is stupid
even if you determined that the universe was somehow "minimizing photon interaction" your assumed reason as to why the universe would behave in such a way is unfounded

I might posit that the sun sets because it gets tired.

I said it would strengthen the argument for simulation theory, in other words it could be used as supplemental evidence.

You take a very ignorant approach to science.

You don't understand science as a whole.
It's a system to make predictions, not something that can tell us about the way things are.

Consider the atom theory, we use it because it can accurately predict interactions, not because things are actually made up of tiny pieces. We assume that they are, because the model works.

It's obvious you are trolling at this point and if you aren't I feel bad for you.

I think the only proof taht we are living in a simulation would be if the entity in charge of it changed the rules. For instance if the moon suddently changed shape we would get suspicious.

How am I wrong, though?
I deliberately used an extremely absurd example.

>Elon Musk claims
it's common for a plebs who don't know how game tech actually works to exaggerate it.
It's literally impossible to do that simulation.

Bump.

If you all would look into simulation hypothesis more, it makes a lot of sense.

The advancements simulations have made over the last 20 years, one can only imagine the scale and complexity of simulations in 200 years.

We would surely be able to simulate a complex reality such as the one we live in.

There also would likely be millions of these simulations so the likelihood that we're living in base reality and not one of these simulations is slim to none.

That being said there only three realistic scenarios.
1. This is base reality and the human species collapses before we can create simulated realities.
2. This is base reality and we find it unethical to simulate reality in the future.
3. This is a simulation.

The Simulation Billionaire Trick.

(1) the Many Worlds Interpretation is obviously true

(2) if you can get enough money to AI safety researchers, this will quickly lead (with some non-neglibile probability) to the creation of a Friendly AI that will help out humanity and have godlike powers like the ability to simulate numerous copies of people’s minds at once

(3) if a perfect simulated AI copy of you can be created from your mind right now, you should act like you have as much probability of being that copy as being you after the copy is made (because “one of you” will wake up as the copy)

(3b) if you can make a bunch of concurrently running copies of you then you have more “probability” of being a copy than being non-copy-you after the copies are made, so you should care more about their future lives than about non-copy-you’s future life

Combining these, make a financial gamble with really long odds, where you’ll almost certainly lose but if you win you win big. In some quantum universe you will win and become extremely rich. In the universe where you win, give safety researchers your money, but pre-conditional (in a timeless decision theory sense) on the idea that when the Friendly AI appears, it will make a huge number of simulated copies of you, larger than the odds of the bet. Then, even though there are many quantum universes where you lost the bet, there will be even more copies of you in uploaded Friendly AI utopia in that one branch, which by (3b) means that after making the bet, the overall condition of “yous” throughout the multiverse is giant uniform platter of utopia with with a negligibly small side helping of schmucks who’ve just lost a dumb bet.

Now go buy a lottery ticket.

I would say its 50/50

>my drunk posting skills cause we have this thread on a literal FUCKING interval n i h8 u man

Yes. To test for it you must prove for multi verse.

I'll make an ASI that creates endless copies of you being tortured horribly for millions of years if you do that.

The only difference between parading the idea of a simulation and the idea of a monotheistic god is the the label they are placed under.

Let's just put it that way.

>The advancements simulations have made over the last 20 years, one can only imagine the scale and complexity of simulations in 200 years.
>We would surely be able to simulate a complex reality such as the one we live in.
No we can't.
Just what do you mean by "simulation"? videogames? They aren't simulate a thing. It's just a handcrafted picture on a screen.
Today we can't even modeling a simple protein molecule.

Not entirely true but I see your point.

The idea of simulation backs of the ideas of science and mathematics because probabilities and programming and whatnot.

The idea of a monotheistic god says fuck you to science and math cause "muh gawd used his magic powers to make all this instantly 4,000 years ago. My proof is that my special book says so."

I strongly believe we are in a simulation, I also strongly believe 99% of the population are actually NPCs and there are only a few millions actual players on this "server" (e.g. universe).

Stimulation theory stems from realities that humans have witnessed: We are capable of creating very simple simulated realities, so it is not so far fetched that theoretically a smart species can also be capable to create a simulation as complex as our universe.

Saying that is the same as religion is like saying meteorology is the same as ancient greek myths about Zeus, because both try to ask questions about the origin of lightnings.

>just handcrafted picture on a screen

It's not a movie guy. Most video games have some sort of function that will change based on the input of a user. The result of this change is based on probabilities and data entered into the programming of the game.

No reason you couldn't take those simple inputs and outputs and make them into something complex like the world we live in.

For example, why do you always make the same kinds of mistakes or have the same preferences? Because you've been programmed that way.

>Time isn't quantized.
and you are sure of that because...?

why are most academics such cunts?

Agree. There's a complete lack of evidence to say whether time is quantized or not.

MEMETIC HAZARD REE

>The origin of this popular "simulation philosophy" is genius Nick Bostrom (and not Musk by the way):
Correct. Bostrom's the genius and Musk's just a huge attention whore.

what if the point of the simulation is not us, the Earth/humanity/etc) but something else all together? What if we're just an accident and a byproduct of the simulation?

I know people who seriously pray for this reason.

>This is base reality

The odds of that are near zero. If simulations are possible then they're happening all over the place and have been happening for billions of years. The odds that ours is the base reality is very, very low.

How do we know this? Simple:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe

The Universe is clearly fine-tuned.

You just watched agents of shields' last episode huh?

delete this or some autist here gets it

out of your autism pills?

The page you link has a section called "Possible naturalistic explanations". Unless you can refute those, I don't see how you can make the conclusion that you've made.

It's also possible that aliens have visited Earth and are kidnapping and anally probing humans. It's just not probable.

There's way too many finely-tuned constants for it to be an accident.

>It's literally impossible to do that simulation.

Right now, yes, but in the future...

>I can't imagine how it could be done without intention, and since I can imagine everything that's possible, it's therefore safe to conclude that this thing was done intentionally
I don't see how your reasoning is less any fallacious than the reasoning that the human body is too complicated not to have been designed by someone.

What if the universe is just a giant game of life being run on some super-being's computer?

It really makes you think.

What if history as we know it never happend?

After doing a lot of research I can conclude that the bible is one of the rulebook's of this simulation.

I hope we can one day use weaponized autism on the bible and discover how we can create earth as well.

Hint:

>People from different lands =
sands from different lands

>Hell = flames or the element fire

>7 churches of asia = inert gasses

your pills are wearing off. pop some immediately.

>Right now, yes, but in the future...
Never. There are physical limits on computer's performance. You just can't create a magical computer that can compute the state of the entire universe

>How could we test for it?

That's a nonsensical question. We have no idea about how higher dimensionalities or "the plane of the controller" actually act.

If the people in Oregon trail could "think", do you think they would suspect the complexity of modern civilization behind it?

Do you think it would even make sense for them to have the ability to foresee the calamity of forces that have warred and still war?

They might have vague ideas of better farm tools and better wagons. Could they be cruel geniuses and glory in war and change?

fair point