>>8787954

If any naked human bathes in water with pH ~1, regardless of any other factors, he will start to dissolve and get dissolved if he remains in the pool.

So there are only three solutions, which are
>the water in which humans bathe in Tamagawa is NOT pH ~1
>they dip into the water very fast and get slightly hurt
>they swim in the water and get extensive burns

Other urls found in this thread:

terrapub.co.jp/journals/GJ/pdf/3706/37060649.pdf
aqion.de/site/191
fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/CausesOfIllnessBadBugBook/ucm122561.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they probably mix the spring water that goes to the bath with neutral water so it doesn't dissolve you.
Actually, they have to since the regular temperature of the spring is also 90 degrees celsius

This was written in one article:

Like the neighboring Tamagawa Onsen, the main feature of Shin-tamagawa Onsen is its strongly acidic hot spring water. The water here has a PH value of 1.2, which is unusual even by Japanese onsen standards, and it exhibits powerful sterilizing properties that are good for activation of liver functions and treatment of rheumatism, anemia, skin diseases, and other ailments. Entering this hot spring, you will be able to experience the stimulating sensation of soaking in what feels like carbonated water. The effects can be felt right away, as your whole body begins to tingle and go numb just like one’s mouth feels after eating extremely spicy food. You can also drink the waters, which are good for the stomach.

So there is no substances that have very low 13 pH that doesn't fuck you up right away?

your skin can't handle pH that low or high, no matter the substance
the heat alone makes me very skeptical that the water comes straight from the spring without being cooled down and neutralized first by water.
I bet it's from stupid articles like this that people get the great idea of trying to swim in the acidic hot springs of yellowstone
other possibility is that, if the spring water is flowing through a limestone deposit, it might neutralize the water enough to bathe in
TL;DR the bathing water is very unlikely pH 1.1 and 98 degrees celsius

Just because science can't explain it doesn't mean it's impossible

if you don't like the scientific explanation why did you come to Veeky Forums?
go to /x/, maybe they can explain it's angels or demons or something

that guy isn't OP,

thanks for answers, this thread has fulfilled its purpose.

>that guy isn't OP
but the answer still applies

pH alone does not determine rate of corrosion

stomach acid can be pH 1.5, but it doesn't immediately start burning your skin off if you puke on yourself. the vomit has to sit on your skin for quite a while before you get chemical burns. there's some case studies of people who got super drunk and passed out with vomit sitting on their skin for hours and woke up to major burns

also: terrapub.co.jp/journals/GJ/pdf/3706/37060649.pdf

the pH value is real

Japanese article says it's 6.8

>pH alone does not determine the rate of corrosion

This. Time of exposure is a significant factor as well, as are secondary considerations such as temperature (some reactions generate significant heat) and reaction mechanism (allkali materials tend to be more harmful because they denature proteins and dissolve fats, whereas acids simply denature protein and this often limits the depth of a burn, the notable exception being HF).

So your skin is pretty durable, it's usually slightly acidic as it is and it is covered in a layer of dead skin cells loaded with keratin. You can spill a strong acid on your hand at the lab, and as long as you wash it off thoroughly within a reasonable amount of time, probably the worst thing that will happen is you may develop a bit of a reddish rash or simple tingling area.

Horrific injuries occur when a person doesn't realize they have exposed themselves to a caustic agent, and do not wash it off. Then the chemical penetrates into the skin, and the full reaction develops over several days, and you get to see it in your high school chemistry safety scare-a-thon class.

So in this pool, people undoubtably:

A) limit the time of their exposure
B) rinse themselves thoroughly afterwards in clean water

>10 tons/min of water
obviously visitors aren't bathing in a deluge of water, so even if the water that comes out of the ground is pH 1.1 and 98C, that doesn't mean the water they bathe in is

Gotta say that is pretty fucking cool. Would like to try supervised.

I've worked with acids. Dissolving wood/meat in acid takes MUCH longer than burning it (when it is dried to some extent).
I guess it would take about 3 days to dissolve fully dissolve a human in acid into a black slimy fluid. Assuming you'd have no heating/mixing/maintaining acidity.

No idea about bases though.

Enough people dissolved in it since the time of measurement to neutralize the water.

pH is a ratio and has no real bearing on the acidity content of the substance. If I take a liter of distilled water, I can get the pH down to 1 with just a couple drops of acid. The pH will read stupidly low, but it isn't going to burn a damn thing.

>pH is a ratio
no, it's a concentration
>has no real bearing on the acidity content of the substance
no, it has little bearing on the corrosiveness, but pH is a direct function of the acidic content

The science behind potential hydrogen is very well understood

Human skin cannot withstand it. It cannot be pH 1

>pH is a ratio
No its not. It's a scale of the potential hydrogen concentration in an aqueous solution

>pH is a ratio and has no real bearing on the acidity content of the substance.
Holy fuck you are retarded. That's exactly what pH measures

>The effects can be felt right away, as your whole body begins to tingle and go numb
Ah yeah that sounds real fucking healthy.

It is.

It exfoliates you "fairly" quickly.
Stay in it too long and you'll be pretty pink/red.
Stay in it far too long and you'll have serious damage.

There's actually a pretty big difference between 1.1pH and say 0.3pH. Unlike 5pH and 7pH. The type of acid it is also plays a role in length of time and severity of the burn.

aqion.de/site/191
fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/CausesOfIllnessBadBugBook/ucm122561.htm

>There's actually a pretty big difference between 1.1pH and say 0.3pH. Unlike 5pH and 7pH.
one of those is a difference of two orders of magnitude in hydrogen ion concentration and the other isn't. the difference is pretty large.

I'm not too bothered unless it's negative pH

>The science behind potential hydrogen is very well understood

Just as the atom was very well understood as a pudding with electrons encrusted in it, until it wasn't.

Science is constantly evolving; Maybe the human skin can survive pH 1.5, 1.0, 0.5, 0, etc under certain conditions, we can't know for sure

You are fucking retarded

Then how come my arm doesn't dissolve when i throw up on it?

Do you think you're all-knowing? Try to be a little less arrogant.

Yeah, I didn't take the time of exposure into account.
But it would, given enough time and volume