Biology Majors

What career are you working in or pursuing bio majors?
I'm thinking of getting into this bio thing, but don't really know anything about the career landscape.

If I roll any number at all, you have to go into bioinformatics.

OH SHIT NIGGA HE GOT A NUMBER

WHAT WERE THE ODDS
OP A BIOLOGIST NOW

what's wrong with bioinformatics?

nvm I get it
I think
any serious posts tho
that would be groovy

>nvm I get it
I don't, what is wrong with it? Is it just a meme field like astrophysics and anything quantum?

I think it just doesn't involve biology as much as other biological fields
i know nothing about bioinformatics other than a 10 second google search tho so i could be wrong

isn't bioinformatics just annotating genomes?

interdisciplinary field, so it has all the hallmarks of a meme degree like video game design
the difference being that bioinformatics is immensely useful and interesting field, though you probably wouldn't need a degree on it specifically

Don't go into general biology unless you have connections because you will be unemployable

Go into a 21st century biology field like molecular biology or bioinformatics or genetics, and expect to get a graduate degree

Experience in a lab is more important than book knowledge

Decide now if you would rather work in academia or industry and start building your path that way ( advantages of academia is job security, disadvantages are the difficulty of getting a position. The opposite is true for industry )

What kind of careers stem from the "general biology" field?
I was interested in the human body, and nutrition in particular.

also
>advantages of academia is job security, disadvantages are the difficulty of getting a position. The opposite is true for industry
can you explain why that is?

If you're not going into professional school or ecology dont even bother

what are you talking about?
what's wrong with grad school?

Lab monkeys are a dime a dozen, professors can earn tenure

what about a research position

I'm not sure.

My feeling is that all the major discoveries on the macro level have already been made, so there is not much left to do. It's time to move on to the micro level.

Tenured professors have a job for life, but it is extremely competitive. On the industry side, there is a lot of money to be made but its like a normal job in that even upper level positions are not that stable.

Bio major for pre-med, ducking hate chemistry and math tho

ok
this might be a stupid question, but what are the detrimentss of working in a low stability field. You might have to move locations once in a while? that's it?

As you get older you get harder to hire. Companies aren't supposed to discriminate based on age but they do anyway. If you need to move jobs in your forties or older it'll be hard to find a new job

Yes, but there are also situations where all of a sudden you don't have a salary and need to spend some time before getting your next job.

Bioinformatics is computing science except that all of the problems have been given a biological twist. So, if you really want to do bioinformatics, you should just get a computing science degree and then go into bioinformatics in grad school. Spend whatever electives you have on second or third year molecular biology courses.

It's about making sense of large amounts of biological data. This includes annotating genome sequences data, but also doing things like looking at expression profiles or metabolic pathways and trying to find "relations" between "things."

what the fuck
so how do people go into low security jobs with that knowledge

>the difference being that bioinformatics is immensely useful and interesting field
Tru
>though you probably wouldn't need a degree on it specifically
Wrong.
There's no such thing as "general biology" just as there is no such thing as "general physics" unless you're a high school teacher. Everybody is specialized in some way.

Welcome to America

i don't think i'm gonna go into informatics but appreciate the lookout homie

don't tell me tell this guy i'm in canada

*tell this guy boy what a boneheaded mistake

niggas CRISPR is the future man it's gonna change the world man listen man

There's no such field as general biology which is why you shouldn't major in it.

I didn't mean field as in "field" I meant field as in whatever the other guy was talking about

What careers can you get with Biochem, and what does a Biochem Undergrad/Grad do all day

You could also study bioscience and choose math/CS electives. Both should work.
Also, beside the sequence analysis/genome assembly there's also other things like protein/RNA structure prediction.

I think there's a lot of biotech careers for biochemists. Need somebody to optimize those enzymes yo.

since we got biology majors here, I was wondering about the branch of mathematical biology, I just read an introduction of a book called elements of mathematical biology, the book was published 60 years ago mind you, the book mentioned "the inadequacy of the thermodynamic method" when discussing evolutionary biology, it kept mentioning how the parameters used in the branch of evolutionary biology aren't pressure, temperature and volume, not always in any case, it also mentioned the need for "a general theory of states", the thing is, I don't know what the state of thermodynamics was 60 years ago, but today, thermodynamics is fairly general, the first law isn't always written as "the change in heat supplied minus the work done by..." see, these days the internal energy is written more generally in terms of the entropy plus whatever other extensive parameters are of importance to your system, not necessarily volume, which makes me think that thermodynamics shouldn't be considered "inadequate" when applied to such systems.

like I said, I'm not sure if thermodynamics wasn't as developed mathematically then as it is now, just wondering if biologists actually learn the thermodynamic method in their studies or not.

Nothing, but you could just get a major in CS and a minor in biosystems. That way you won't be locked into a single field.

Theres a lot you can do with it, google is your friend
and all we do is study all day every day
just like everyone else

Specialize in molecular. It's where the future is.
And you can get any research position you want, 30k starting salary.

isn't 30k starting low?
or am i trippin

Anything at BS level is dead end research technician work. First job out of one of the best bio undergrads at a great job paid 17$/hr. Very little room for advancement.

Went to med school because fuck getting a MS or phd

what's wrong with getting a ms or phd

b-botany i like plants

MS = lots more money for little pay off
PhD = goodbye life for the next 5-6 years for a Mediocre job market

Also,
>Biology
>working

Pick one and only one friends

very nice user, botany is cool