Terence Mckenna

Did he ever say even one thing remotley intelligent or worth pondering? As far as I can tell his entire audience is
>LOL I JUST DID MUSHROOMS FOR THE FIRST TIME AND I DONT KNOW TO PROCESS THE EXPERIENCE SO IT MUST BE ALIENS OR MACHINE ELVES RIGHT?

Hes someone desperate to find meaning in psychedelics since he couldnt find it anywhere else. Thats the curse of psychedelics, you always feel as if youre right on the edge of cracking the code, figuring it all out, but in the end you never reach it. It analagous to the purple dragon videogame in South Park

No
Everything he said that could even be scientifically challenged was utterly torn apart, its chopra tier

He repeats good ideas he learned from other people, but anything he brings to the table is hogwash. There was a video of him discussing Finnegans Wake floating around here a while ago, prime example. He read a study guide, so his interpretations were excellent. Then he tried to compare FW to a psychedelic experience and intellectually shat the bed.

Chasing the dragon is a heroin reference, but I guess you have a point all the same.

agreed. he's a great scholar for joyce but fuck his evangelizing psychedelics. just read a fuck ton and live how u want to live and reality will deconstruct itself.

While he had some fairly insightful ideas regarding the basal nature of reality, his whole psychedelic/shaman based attitude towards philosophy tends to discredit most of his work. Dont even get me started on his panspermiac transcendental theories

Are you the guy from Veeky Forums who was telling aspiring psychonauts to be careful with the shit for precisely this reason?

No. Ive never been on Veeky Forums at all actually. Its just something that fairly apparent if youve ever tried exploring psychedelic land. Its even apparent if youve talked to these burnout psychedelic zombies who brag about how much "enlightenment" they've gotten from doing acid every weekend, yet they can't keep a job and have probably never even seen a library before.

Psychs are fun and even (to an extent) useful. Just be fucking careful and dont take them too seriously. Your brain is the most important thing you have, its literally "you".

Damn, it's just uncanny because the Veeky Forums guy sounded exactly the same and we talked about exactly the same things. I even related stories about my burnout friends who are like 50 and have been "chasing enlightenment" every weekend for 30 years, always sure it's just around the corner.

Scary stuff.

Then again I've also had STEMfag friends who were hardcore scientism atheist types, but did did shrooms four times in their youth and speak about it almost reverently as life-changing.

>IT MUST BE ALIENS

>Damn, it's just uncanny because the Veeky Forums guy sounded exactly the same and we talked about exactly the same things.
Must be those damn machine elves up to their old tricks

Meh, as a fundamental aspie and ataxia bed-ridden schizoid there's at least half a defense to be made for certain apophenia seeing as we all have some psychic bias and affinity to coincidence we want to be salient whether or not it's functional or corrupt. It sounds like OP has DXM brain damage or something, too, thrown into the mix.

Ummm... Ok?

OP here. I actually did have a hardcore dxm trip a while back. It was thr most psychologically tolling thing Ive ever experienced. Took me several months to get over and I contemplated suicide multiple times during and after the trip.

Dont play with dissociatives kids

Hey, don't be rude you dick. Look, I was right

Food of the gods is worth a read. However, terence mckenna's main skill was capturing the wishful thinking of those who refused to educate themselves and just wanted to be told that doing psychedelics would give them the same guru recognition they gave him.

Here is everything you need to know from terence mckenna: psychedelics are fantastic tools for introspection, and for pathological deconditioning. Modern man at large definitely can find benefit from that. And they can also very effectively bullshit and be bullshitted and ruin it also. Mckenna is exhibit A.

One of the biggest scripturalists ever. Psychedelics were his personification of the Divine and the sensory fireworks were his holy texts. Typical Anglo-Saxon too - obsessed with this World and preserving it, amoral Humanist, liked Bach and Joyce, liked Objects; basically a Cryptomaterialist. About as far from experientialism as it gets.

Some lectures are pretty good though. There's one called Eros and the Eschaton and another one where he talks about Gnosticism.

I'll utterly tear your anus apart.

Dude it was a joke

His stoned ape theory was bullshit, just like the rest of his attempts at science and the humanities. His only saving grace was his charisma.