Starting with the Greeks

>starting with the Greeks
>not starting with Greek

You're not gonna make it.

>not starting with Linear A
Just give up.

What the shit is going on with that passage

Were the Greeks redpilled?

It's proper Greek miniscule, like manuscript writing with lots of ligatures and special symbols. It's really surprising that people in the renaissance actually preferred it in their printed books to something more pared down like we use now but people who read Greek in the renaissance were not like anyone alive today.

Type-faces for Greek often included over a thousand symbols. Imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be to typeset a page like that.

I do think it's pretty though. Easiest way to pick it up is to find a renaissance printing on google books of something you've already read.

Everything Plato wrote was super fucking straightforward and you're not going to get any additional value out of learning a dead language. Seriously

Later philosophy was hella complicated and not in Greek so

I agree but there's a lot more to Greek than Greek philosophy. Plato does hold up very well in translation.

People learning Greek probably want to read the poetry.

You're fucking delusional if you think you can audidact your way through an ancient language to a sufficient degree, unless you dedicate all your fucking time to it.
says, your time would be better spent actually reading translated, and maybe studying linguistics if you're so anal about that.

Yes, if you had started with the greeks you would know that

> he thinks Ancient Greek is difficult
Try Sanskrit, son. Shit will rip you a new asshole.

I would really like to learn ancient greek desu
It must feel so alien to think in ancient greek

Bullshit. 30-60 minutes a day spent efficiently will take you very far over a couple of years.

You could also learn piano or world history or craftsmanship or cooking, you know, skills that give you a place in society outside of your man cave

Its a stock standard fusional language. Learn something living, like russian, finnish, or japanese for the same thing

If by 'very far' you mean spending several years on study just so you can kinda sorta read greek texts with a dictionary in hand, then yes. In the meantime someone who didn't waste their time blazed through the entire greek corpus and moved on to better things. Or learned a language that isn't dead.

Grow up

Nobody cares about any of those things. Your ability to cook, play piano, or "world history" is not what makes your social standing. I never said that Greek was worth anything socially, but you are truly strange for thinking that "craftsmanship" might get you laid.

>craftmanship won't get you laid

my fucking sides

Veeky Forums fantasy life

>Being the most boring person alive is the only way to truly experience the world
>Spend years doing nothing except becoming semi-competent in a dead language and slowly reading a small number of books with dictionary art in hand
>Wake up at 40 with no skills and no ability to function socially
>muh elite status

the first thing you have to realize is that there are no greeks

>nothing matters if it doesn't make me cool

This but unironically

>He read the translation
There is no hope for him

>he doesn't himself translate everything he reads into proto-indo-european

What's wrong with doing stuff you enjoy dumbass, such as learning greek or whatever the fuck. Is your life limited to impressing other people with your "social skills"?

>He thinks Sanskrit is difficult
it ain't easy being chinesey

>not reading exclusively in rongorongo

Fucking plebs

>He started with Greek
>He didn't start with linear A

>He read something that it's not the Voynich Manuscript
How does it feel being a pleb?

greek? is that like lord of the rings?

>poo2loo
Sanskrit is an Aryan language you Dravidian nigger.

Classical chinese is actually hella simple outside of characters.